Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Hotplant

Random Thoughts v.3

What kind of dumbass who hates writing and doesn't want to teach becomes an English major? Me, apparently. :wall:

As I sat at my desk at 4:30 this morning with no fucking clue what to write on my paper, I realized that this is approximately the 54th time I've been in this situation since I started at this university, but it could very well be higher than that. And what do I have to show for it? Absolutely fucking nothing, because I am an English major and will be living in a box after I graduate! Hell, I had to bring up the calculator to tell me what 18 papers a year times 3 years was; that's how useful my major is.

Thats the least of your worries...

I get the guys with the "curls" in their hair who "get off" on the english language, calling me a peasant.

I say go for a major in science :) at least you can still thrive...How the fuck can you thrive for the english language by it self?what, your gunna feel good about yourself because you have memorized so many adjectives to "trip out" the opponent and stay superior? you know your gunna be living in a box...so live in a box and start dreaming.

I say start dreaming and use that english major of yours to start writing some far out shit. Then try to sell it or get rid of it.

I get the guys with the "curls" in their hair who "get off" on the english language, calling me a peasant.

I say go for a major in science :) at least you can still thrive...How the fuck can you thrive for the english language by it self?what, your gunna feel good about yourself because you have memorized so many adjectives to "trip out" the opponent and stay superior? you know your gunna be living in a box...so live in a box and start dreaming.

I say start dreaming and use that english major of yours to start writing some far out shit. Then try to sell it or get rid of it.

Thanks for the, uh, encouragement. ;) But seriously, thanks for listening, man. Yeah, if I could do it over again, I'd probably go for engineering or maybe computer science...something, ANYthing that would at least reimburse me with some cold, hard cash down the line for the time and energy and angst I put into college. I hope I'm proven wrong in the end, but that seems much more valuable to me right than doing what I "love." I really admire people who do what they love for a living and still love it several years into it...because frankly, I don't think that's possible for me. Best decision I ever made was to not become a music major. I can still play guitar without it feeling like a chore - it's awesome!

Problem is, I graduate in June, so no going back and starting on an engineering degree - I just gotta put up and shut up! :) I'll be in my box with my adjectives, if anybody needs me. :lol: But yeah, I hate jerks that make other people feel inferior just because they think they know more than someone else. I don't mind people who really just want to help you out and learn something, but then there are the people who look down at you and say, "Don't you KNOW that?" and don't want to help at all. Grr.

Maybe I will write a novel. I could at least do as well as that Stephanie Meyers biatch...maybe I can write about true zombie love or something, and it could be this big-ass metaphor for the disconnect we as a technologically advanced society feel in our lives. :rolleyes: Some jackass at Berkeley would eat that up, I swear. Throw a little post-colonial and queer theory in there, and I've got it made.

Thanks for the, uh, encouragement. ;) But seriously, thanks for listening, man. Yeah, if I could do it over again, I'd probably go for engineering or maybe computer science...something, ANYthing that would at least reimburse me with some cold, hard cash down the line for the time and energy and angst I put into college. I hope I'm proven wrong in the end, but that seems much more valuable to me right than doing what I "love." I really admire people who do what they love for a living and still love it several years into it...because frankly, I don't think that's possible for me. Best decision I ever made was to not become a music major. I can still play guitar without it feeling like a chore - it's awesome!

Problem is, I graduate in June, so no going back and starting on an engineering degree - I just gotta put up and shut up! :) I'll be in my box with my adjectives, if anybody needs me. :lol: But yeah, I hate jerks that make other people feel inferior just because they think they know more than someone else. I don't mind people who really just want to help you out and learn something, but then there are the people who look down at you and say, "Don't you KNOW that?" and don't want to help at all. Grr.

Maybe I will write a novel. I could at least do as well as that Stephanie Meyers biatch...maybe I can write about true zombie love or something, and it could be this big-ass metaphor for the disconnect we as a technologically advanced society feel in our lives. :rolleyes: Some jackass at Berkeley would eat that up, I swear. Throw a little post-colonial and queer theory in there, and I've got it made.

Two cents from DD. When you are done you might want to consider looking into the DOD (Department of Defense) school system. They pay pretty good and you have excellent benefits. Also you can travel and they pay for shipping all your stuff to differant countries. Like I said.... just a suggestion. Maybe that will help you enjoy your choice of careers. And think of all the children you can convert into Zep fans. :D

What kind of dumbass who hates writing and doesn't want to teach becomes an English major? Me, apparently. :wall:

As I sat at my desk at 4:30 this morning with no fucking clue what to write on my paper, I realized that this is approximately the 54th time I've been in this situation since I started at this university, but it could very well be higher than that. And what do I have to show for it? Absolutely fucking nothing, because I am an English major and will be living in a box after I graduate! Hell, I had to bring up the calculator to tell me what 18 papers a year times 3 years was; that's how useful my major is.

Then there's the fool proof homemaker errr Domestic Engineer to fall back on :whistling:

ahomemaker.jpg

Not a bad deal if you really think about it, hell I would've done it if my ex had made more money than me :D

This is supposed to be tongue in cheek, right? I mean, you do see the value of such a degree besides using big words to sound superior?

FoD, it sounds as if you're almost done so might as well stick with it, and then do some soul searching about what you rally want to do. Many people find themselves in just such a spot at some point in their degrees. People who say you can't make a living doing A or B either haven't tried it or gave up. No career is easy to get, and you'll likely benefit from the breadth of education you're getting. So you'll not be a one trick pony, and that's a good thing in a time when most people switch careers at least a couple of times. There are plenty of successful people in many different fields; there isn't just one that is guaranteed to be more lucrative. It sounds trite, but you have to do what you really love and try to be as best at it as you can. You'll likely get luckier the more prepared you are. Best of luck to you :beer:

What about going with a tour group? I know people who have done that and had a wonderful experience.

That's not a bad idea - I just might do that!

Hi Zepulon,

I travel by myself all the time, for business and for pleasure.

The first time I went by myself was on a cruise! My husband couldn't go at the last minute, and I wanted to go, so I went! I was a little apprehensive at first, but I wasn't afraid. As I was waiting at the airport to go to the cruise ship, I saw another woman about my age, waiting to go to the ship, so I just started talking to her. She was from San Francisco and was by herself also! She had taken many cruises on this cruise line before, as had I, and she had friends on the ship. She introduced me to others who work on the ship as well as other passengers she knew. Since then we have taken many cruises together and are lifelong friends.

I just came back from a weekend in Ft. Lauderdale. I went by myself, but I met my other Optometrist friends there. I am going to NYC this weekend to meet some other Optometrist friends, one who was also at Ft. Lauderdale.

My husband is a work-a-holic and I have decided that if he won't go with me, then I will go by myself. It is so empowering.

On our tour of Ireland last summer, there was a lady who was by herself. She hung out with my husband and myself, as well as two other women on the tour. We looked out for her, LOL. A tour would be a great way to go to Europe by yourself. You have a tour guide that stays with you the entire time and you become good friends with the other people on the tour. I still e-mail the people I met on our tour. You may be able to take future tours with the people you meet since you share the love of travel with them.

If you are an experienced traveler and can handle the logistics of airports, taxis, etc., then you should definitely go by your self.

I haven't traveled in a while so I think I'll start small by going somewhere on my own domestically, then head overseas. Thanks for your stories - they're inspiring. :)

Hi Footsteps of Dawn,

My youngest son is an English major at Ohio State.

Last year he was a business major. But he hated calculus and economics and accounting.

He did get his summer internship job last year through the Fisher College of Business at Ohio State. He worked for a business magazine in Dublin, Ireland, as a writer. He learned alot and loved writing and had many articles published under his name for the magazine. That's why he switched majors.

He currently has two writing jobs, ones that he gets paid for, LOL.

And he is going to London this summer to take English classes at Greenwich University, sponsored by Ohio State.

He is interested in politics and wants to maybe be a political speech writer. He is also considering going into law school.

He loves writing papers and has had some very interesting English classes this year. He is currently taking one about movies, his other love. His dream job is to be a movie critic where he gets paid to watch movies and then critique them. LOL

So hang in there with the papers. You are almost finished. There are alot of things you can do with an English degree. Most companies need people who are very literate and are good writers.

I majored in English when I was in college, and I didn't want to teach either. After I graduated I got a job at a court library. What do you want to do after you graduate? Unlike, say, an engineering degree where it pretty much means you become an engineer, an English degree is very flexible. Because many jobs want you to be proficient in oral and written communication, an English degree opens many doors...everything from journalism to law. In my case, it was library science. The fact that it wasn't limited to teaching was what I loved about it.

well if you need a hook up for a publisher...gimme a hollar

I majored in English when I was in college, and I didn't want to teach either. After I graduated I got a job at a court library. What do you want to do after you graduate? Unlike, say, an engineering degree where it pretty much means you become an engineer, an English degree is very flexible. Because many jobs want you to be proficient in oral and written communication, an English degree opens many doors...everything from journalism to law. In my case, it was library science. The fact that it wasn't limited to teaching was what I loved about it.

True say...True say

Journalism kicks ass...I wish i was one. fuck i'd be at the front lines

Whoa, thanks for the input, guys! I was going to quote y'all, but it got kind of out of hand, hehe. Let's see if I can do it this way:

Dancin' Days - That does sound kinda cool. I'm not sure how good with kids I am (I was planning on being a college professor back when I was all gung-ho about this), but as weird as it sounds, I do enjoy the grammar aspect of languages more than whipping up a good batch of prose, so that does kind of sound up my alley. Plus the French part of my double major could work well with that. I'll definitely give it a look.

Dzldoc - Ahaha, you know, that doesn't sound like a bad idea! I gotta start hanging around the medical school more often and try to pick up a hot intern. :lol:

Patrycja - Yep, I only have two months left before I graduate, so I'm sticking to it no matter what. :) That's really good advice, thanks! You're totally right - I do need to do some serious soul searching. Like you said, the hardest part is figuring out what I really do love.

Buck Eye Doc - Yeah, if I wasn't so burnt out on/bad at writing, I would definitely consider journalism. Writing for a magazine does sound a little more fun than writing for a newspaper, though...I'll keep that in mind. Being a movie critic does sound like a pretty awesome job, though. I hope he gets that job someday; that would rock!

Zepulon - Library science is definitely one of the things I was thinking about doing if I decided to go to graduate school. Everything I read about it said that they really focus on computer knowledge now...should I be brushing up on anything particular before I apply, or do they pretty much cover the specialized computer skills they want you to know while you're there? And, er, how's your salary, if you don't mind me asking? You don't have to get specific, but are you pretty happy with it?

bouncing~ship - If I write that novel, I will definitely give you a ring! ;)

Zepulon - Library science is definitely one of the things I was thinking about doing if I decided to go to graduate school. Everything I read about it said that they really focus on computer knowledge now...should I be brushing up on anything particular before I apply, or do they pretty much cover the specialized computer skills they want you to know while you're there? And, er, how's your salary, if you don't mind me asking? You don't have to get specific, but are you pretty happy with it?

I haven't gone to library school yet (I'm currently a library assistant, in which a master's degree in library science is not required), but from what coworkers have told me it's not required to brush up on anything before starting the program. If you'd like to get ahead in class though it certainly doesn't hurt. I'll be honest, you won't get rich in this field, even after getting the degree. Unless you want to be the director of the Library of Congress or something! I'll probably never make more than 40K in my lifetime, but that's okay because I really enjoy what I do.

Edited by Zepulon

I haven't gone to library school yet (I'm currently a library assistant, in which a master's degree in library science is not required), but from what coworkers have told me it's not required to brush up on anything before starting the program. If you'd like to get ahead in class though it certainly doesn't hurt. I'll be honest, you won't get rich in this field, even after getting the degree. Unless you want to be the director of the Library of Congress or something! I'll probably never make more than 40K in my lifetime, but that's okay because I really enjoy what I do.

Thanks! It does sound like fun...that's definitely one of the top things on my list.

And on a totally unrelated note, HOLY CRAP!!!! Did anyone watch the Talladega race? In-frickin'-sane!!! Epic crash on the last lap. Just watch the video - it'll take less time to watch it than it will for me to tell you about it. (it happens about midway through the video)

http://www.nascar.com/video/cup/2009/04/26...tml?MostPopular

God I'm glad Edwards is okay, and I'm glad the car didn't actually go INTO the grandstands. They don't usually go flying through the air like that anymore because they've added a bunch of little flaps and things to change the aerodynamics of the car so the air doesn't flow over it like an airplane wing and make it take off, but just as all that was about to come into effect and put the car back down after the initial hit, he creams Ryan Newman and is sent right back up into the air and straight into the fence in front of the grandstands. Unbelievable. And this was after two other huge wrecks that took out half the field. :o

Now that I know everybody's okay, I'm glad Dale Jr. came in second - he needed a good finish for a change. And that's cool that Brad Keselowski got his first win ever, but whoa, I hope his next ones aren't that exciting.

Edited by Footsteps of Dawn

The site seems a bit slow today? Or is it just my server? Anyone else getting some delay?

I've noticed around this time every day the site slows down. I wonder if they do some sort of maintenance. It can take 2 minutes to post which is frustrating.

Got back yesterday from 4 days in Tucson visiting a friend...who I met on a message board and just met in person for the first time there. We had a truly wonderful time. Which just goes to cement the fact that there are incredible folks out there and the internet can be a great way to meet them!!

I knew a guy that went to Tuscon in the 70's on his Indian motorcycle. He came back with Peyote buttons and 22 lbs of the worst weed I ever tried. He bought a machine to try and make it better and it turned black. You could bust a lung and not catch a buzz. And he traded his bike for the crap. :o BYW, I havent smoked in years. Just for the record.

We just kept it to some beer and lots of good wine!! :)

This is the sunset off her back patio. It's simply stunning!!

IMG_3397.jpg

IMG_3397.jpg

Wow - what a gorgeous photo!

IMG_3397.jpg

Looks like it could be the cover of an Eagles album. Gorgeous.

Thanks all!! I'll pass along your complements to my friend. I wish I'd had my new camera when I took those...

Random thought... I haven't been here much lately, and I noticed that some folks seem to have decided they like 'the basement'.

Don't know what the hell is keeping me up :o

Gotta get some :zzz:

Random thought... I haven't been here much lately, and I noticed that some folks seem to have decided they like 'the basement'.

"The basement"? Sounds kinky... How do I get there? :shifty:

"The basement"? Sounds kinky... How do I get there? :shifty:

You're already here!