Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Hotplant

Random Thoughts v.3

I got the door for her then we locked arms Was like playing on a dynamite farm Supermodels, actresses with charm Let her down you can sound the alarm

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, IpMan said:

You had me up until the diss on social justice. How does one not like and support social justice? It's right there in the term itself. Are you saying social justice is a bad thing? Why? That makes no sense as a lack of social justice affects everyone negatively.

There is no such thing as social justice, there is merely justice. We have the rule of law and a court system to dispense justice. If the verdict didn't go your way, tough shit. Hire a better defense attorney next time and/or file an appeal. "Social justice" infers that justice can be derived from the court of public opinion, or that the injustice in question is the society's fault and thus society's responsibility to rectify. I say horse shit to all of that.   

3 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

"Social injustice nonsense" lmao. It's like those darn Jews complaining that the ovens were too hot back in 42. We have a police brutality problem in America and it's gonna get corrected, regardless of anyone else's occupation or source of entertainment. All the racist, bigoted, wanna-be nazi psychopaths can cry on music forums all they want. They're on the losing end and they know it. It's just a crybaby show now with out of touch grandpas whining about the good ol days when you could kill people and get away with it.

You really want to go there? Alright, let's dance. The perpetrators of the Holocaust were put on trial, sentenced and in most cases executed. The Jews aren't seeking justice for the Holocaust. That said, every society gets the politicians and the police it deserves. You libtards bleat on and on about gun control, but never say a word about criminal control. You keep insisting there's a police brutality problem, yet never acknowledge there is equally if not more so an "I'm gonna act the goddamn fool and press to test" problem. I've said it before and I'll say it again, armchair quarterbacks aren't out in the streets dealing with the scum of the earth day in and day out. Those who are, known as that thin blue line, I'm fine with them doing whatever they think is necessary to ensure they go home that night. If it's unclear what a suspect has in his hand and he fails to comply, drop that motherfucker by any means necessary and go from there. You do whatever you have to do to go home at the end of your shift.

Edited by SteveAJones

1 hour ago, Zepfan2001 said:

Life's a beach.

..then you dive.

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

There is no such thing as social justice, there is merely justice. We have the rule of law and a court system to dispense justice. If the verdict didn't go your way, tough shit. Hire a better defense attorney next time and/or file an appeal. "Social justice" infers that justice can be derived from the court of public opinion, or that the injustice in question is the society's fault and thus society's responsibility to rectify. I say horse shit to all of that.

I don't get this view at all. It's like saying there is no Santa Claus. OF COURSE THERE IS. He is at every shopping mall every December. It is an idea that lives through the continued buy in from modern Western Capitalist pawns. Oh he's real alright. Look at the Christmas retail figures. Social Justice is exactly the same. If one runs their mouth hard on an edgy political/social/religious/sensitive issue in the workplace without the social skills that temper your rant in front of people who are much more reasonable or who you should realise are not really buying into what your ranting about? You are going to pay a price. Social Justice. (your socially retarded and your sentence is an inability to form relationships at work beyond basic courtesy)

You cause a scene at the local swimming pool because you think their rules are wrong or don't apply to you, it all escalates, and find yourself banned from that venue? Social Justice.

Justice CAN be derived from the court of public opinion Steve. in specific scenarios - and not as a substitute or complement to actual justice.

"Social Justice" - take away any link to actual Justice. It is not related. "You're gonna get what's coming to you!" - sometimes that turns out to be the case, and the term "social Justice" can be applied. Nothing to do with process or law.

59 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

every society gets the politicians and the police it deserves. You libtards bleat on and on about gun control, but never say a word about criminal control. You keep insisting there's a police brutality problem, yet never acknowledge there is equally if not more so an "I'm gonna act the goddamn fool and press to test" problem. I've said it before and I'll say it again, armchair quarterbacks aren't out in the streets dealing with the scum of the earth day in and day out. Those who are, known as that thin blue line, I'm fine with them doing whatever they think is necessary to ensure they go home that night. If it's unclear what a suspect has in his hand and he fails to comply, drop that motherfucker by any means necessary and go from there. You do whatever you have to do to go home at the end of your shift.

I agree with almost all of this, but there is a problem with policing in America. Is it the policing the US deserves? YES.

Everything can be interpreted as a threat. And there is a massive threat with an armed population, so yeah, getting home each night is a good point, but policing that completely alienates entire communities? How is that more safe?

The problem of policing vs. the more dangerous parts of the US and trying to police them effectively is one of the biggest issues the US faces. There are no easy answers given the environment. I think both issues are large enough that people cannot take one side over the other. It needs to be worked out on the ground.

Edited by rm2551

3 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

You really want to go there? Alright, let's dance. The perpetrators of the Holocaust were put on trial, sentenced and in most cases executed. The Jews aren't seeking justice for the Holocaust. 

Once again, you've missed the point, which is that if you're a racist who has the upper hand in society, no complaint from the people you're trying to oppress is gonna be good enough to change the racist state of mind. Let me know when all the cops who've planted evidence, lied on their reports, flat out murdered people, and got away with it because the "thin blue line" keeps sweeping shit under the rug for each other get put on trial. Even then, how does a week's suspension justify ten cops beating someone to a pulp? 

3 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

. That said, every society gets the politicians and the police it deserves. You libtards bleat on and on about gun control, but never say a word about criminal control. You keep insisting there's a police brutality problem, yet never acknowledge there is equally if not more so an "I'm gonna act the goddamn fool and press to test" problem. 

Every society gets the police and politicians it deserves? What a total load of horseshit. You say that like there is fair representation for everyone. You say that like politics and authority can't become corrupted or act in unnecessary ways. All you do is generalize any situation you don't want to look at the details of just so your narrow-minded views will still be intact.

Gun control and the justice system are two different things. Why even compare the two? And why can't both be made better? Yes, a lot of people try to test the law. The police wouldn't need to exist if people didn't. That has nothing to do with emptying a clip into someone's back just because you didn't wanna chase someone down over a broken tail light or something equally insignificant. Cops have guns to protect themselves and society if there is an immediate threat, not to just make their job easier. Not so they can high five their buddies and say "Hey man, I got me another one today" and put a notch on their belt.

4 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

line, I'm fine with them doing whatever they think is necessary to ensure they go home that night. If it's unclear what a suspect has in his hand and he fails to comply, drop that motherfucker by any means necessary and go from there. You do whatever you have to do to go home at the end of your shift.

This is exactly what someone who has wet dreams about the third reich would say. This is nothing more than an off the wall point of view that is used to justify a sociopath mentality. Any cop can say they didn't know what's in someone's hand and flat out murder them. And when you know the justice system is gonna take your word over a dead person's, it creates a method of shoot first and file the report later. This has been the standard for decades and it's resulted in thousands of unarmed, non threatening citizens being gunned down. Then throw in a cop (or five) sitting on someone's back and suffocating them to death. Or, you know, the entire department beating one man in the street within inches of his life. "Going home at the end of the day" should never entail making sure someone else doesn't. Police should be trained to prevent a situation from escalating, not to see how far they, themselves can push it. The only people who agree with that are the spiteful assholes who deep down inside are getting satisfaction knowing that law enforcement are killing certain individuals needlessly and getting away with it. Then these morons wonder why minorities don't trust law enforcement or disrespect the "muh flag". 

As for your "armchair" comment, right back atcha buddy. You're not the one who has their relative thrown on your doorstep in a body bag because some dipshit cop who barely graduated high school got paranoid about a big scary black guy and emptied a clip into him over a traffic violation. Who then got off with a slap on the wrist because the system wants to protect itself, so they say "Oh, it took him three seconds to obey an order when it should only have taken two." Funny how people who aren't affected by injustice never complain about it. But in your case, I honestly think it's the other way around, sadly. As I've said before, people like you are really just afraid you're bigoted goals for society are gonna be eliminated.

And please stop attaching those lopsided, out of context YouTube videos. Nobody is watching them and it's annoying to quote on mobile lol.

10 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

You really want to go there? Alright, let's dance. The perpetrators of the Holocaust were put on trial, sentenced and in most cases executed. The Jews aren't seeking justice for the Holocaust. That said, every society gets the politicians and the police it deserves. You libtards bleat on and on about gun control, but never say a word about criminal control. You keep insisting there's a police brutality problem, yet never acknowledge there is equally if not more so an "I'm gonna act the goddamn fool and press to test" problem. I've said it before and I'll say it again, armchair quarterbacks aren't out in the streets dealing with the scum of the earth day in and day out. Those who are, known as that thin blue line, I'm fine with them doing whatever they think is necessary to ensure they go home that night. If it's unclear what a suspect has in his hand and he fails to comply, drop that motherfucker by any means necessary and go from there. You do whatever you have to do to go home at the end of your shift.

Yeah. All those black people in the South that were systematically lynched, raped, burned out of their homes, railroaded into jail should have just got better lawyers. Crybabies. :rolleyes:

I meet once a week with a retired L.A.P.D. officer. He never once fired his weapon in 20 years of service. Most good police officers don't...they rely on respectful communication and common sense to keep a situation under control.

While the media shines a light on the bad cops far more than on the good cops, giving the public a skewed sense of what is happening, he does acknowledge that there is a problem that does need to be addressed...either thru better training or better recruits.

He feels recruiting standards have slipped and the types of people that are coming into the force are not optimum.

The use of deadly force should only be used as a last resort. That is what police have traditionally been taught for decades. Keep calm and poised, be clear in your communications and avoid anything that might escalate the situation.

But many of the recruits coming into the force in recent years are from the videogame generation. They grow up playing violent first-shooter games, where "shoot first, ask questions later" behaviour is rewarded and prized.

No matter how much training they receive, he thinks by nature these newer recruits have a trigger-happy videogame mentality that is hard to change.

And even though these bad apples give the majority of good, honest policemen and women a bad reputation, the tradition of circling the horses and protecting the "thin blue line" is firmly entrenched. Even though a lot of cops think these trigger-happy psychos need to be booted out of the force.

1 hour ago, cryingbluerain said:

Roseanne cancelled.  PC hypocrisy wins again.

That figures.

1 hour ago, redrum said:

That figures.

The level of “free speech” in the corporate world always has a price tag attached. It all depends on how the good (money) outweighs the bad (loss of money). Her bestiality and racist blast tipped the scale. Advertisers ultimately make the call and ABC didn’t respond until after testing the waters with them, IMO.  Wouldn’t surprise me if an attempt to pick up the show is made by someone else.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Once again, you've missed the point, which is that if you're a racist who has the upper hand in society, no complaint from the people you're trying to oppress is gonna be good enough to change the racist state of mind. Let me know when all the cops who've planted evidence, lied on their reports, flat out murdered people, and got away with it because the "thin blue line" keeps sweeping shit under the rug for each ther get put on trial. Even then, how does a week's suspension justify ten cops beating someone to a pulp? 

As I've said before, people like you are really just afraid you're bigoted goals for society are gonna be eliminated.

I seldom if ever miss a point and yours are well taken but don't miss my point: as far as I'm concerned when it comes to police work the tie does not go to the runner, nor should it. The thin blue line will get my benefit of the doubt because without the thin blue line it's a lawless society.

I'm not afraid of anything. I've already cashed out and moved on to much greener pastures. I'm merely offering an objective point of view.

3 hours ago, cryingbluerain said:

Yep! I was going to start a separate thread here on how Madison Avenue time and time again deliberately presents straight white males as morons incapable of choosing the right car to purchase, or how to shovel snow without throwing out their back or what have you but I know it would become too contentious for millennial snowflakes like gibsonfart159. 

2 hours ago, Strider said:

But many of the recruits coming into the force in recent years are from the videogame generation. They grow up playing violent first-shooter games, where "shoot first, ask questions later" behaviour is rewarded and prized.

No matter how much training they receive, he thinks by nature these newer recruits have a trigger-happy videogame mentality that is hard to change.

And even though these bad apples give the majority of good, honest policemen and women a bad reputation, the tradition of circling the horses and protecting the "thin blue line" is firmly entrenched. Even though a lot of cops think these trigger-happy psychos need to be booted out of the force.

Well, once again societies get the politicians and the police they deserve as both are merely a reflection of the societies that they serve.

Edited by SteveAJones

1 hour ago, Anjin-san said:

How many were killed in Chi town this weekend?

Eight killed, 25 wounded...but Black Lies Matter.

5 hours ago, cryingbluerain said:

So you believe her calling a black woman a monkey was A-ok? I just love...LOVE how certain people will on the one hand say (regarding the NFL as an example), its a private organization, the employees have no free speech and can be fired for being non-patriotic assholes. Then on the other get pissed off about the exact same system of private ownership when it comes around and bites you in the ass (Rosanne).

The only hypocrisy I see is from your side.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

You are choosing your own representation of social justice, not what social justice actually is. Ghandi was social justice, MLK was social justice, the LGBTQ movement is social justice etc. What is not social justice are university students demanding a speaker be refused because of conflicting viewpoint. What is not social justice is ANTIFA thinking it is ok to punch and / or attack white suprematists. Safe spaces and people whining about stupid shit are NOT social justice.

Again, there you go popping off with Black Lies Matter and other racist crap. You have no idea what it is like to be black in America. You have no idea how much I would love to magically turn you into a Korean for one year in your precious, homogenous Japan. Maybe then you would understand, albeit to a lesser degree, what it is like to be shunned and hated just for being different. Yes, you are a white American and as a result the Japanese give you a certain attitude as long as you follow the rules. However, your ass step out of line just once and you will find out right quick the difference between you and a Japanese national.

This is what I find most fascinating about you Steve, you are willing to potentially suffer the wrath of the policies of your adopted country, as a gaiging, for the promise of a polite, orderly, and reasonably safe, clean society. I understand everyone is different but I could never, never live in a country where I know my life does not mean shit compared to the native population. To know that people who I think are my friends still consider me a barbarian and beneath them is just not my cup of tea, but to each their own i guess. 

Edited by IpMan

14 minutes ago, IpMan said:

So you believe her calling a black woman a monkey was A-ok? I just love...LOVE how certain people will on the one hand say (regarding the NFL as an example), its a private organization, the employees have no free speech and can be fired for being non-patriotic assholes. Then on the other get pissed off about the exact same system of private ownership when it comes around and bites you in the ass (Rosanne).

The only hypocrisy I see is from your side.

I think it was perfectly ok that she exercised her First Amendment right ON HER OWN TIME and ON HER OWN DIME. I strongly disagree that her employer should have terminated her employment for it, but that's the way it goes sometimes, especially with public figures when there is a witch hunt on. If it was Laslo Lipshitz who works on the line at the Buick plant I doubt the employer would care one way or the other. 

Just now, SteveAJones said:

I think it was perfectly ok that she exercised her First Amendment right ON HER OWN TIME and ON HER OWN DIME. I strongly disagree that her employer should have terminated her employment for it, but that's the way it goes sometimes, especially with public figures when there is a witch hunt on. If it was Laslo Lipshitz who works on the line at the Buick plant I doubt the employer would care one way or the other. 

Oh yes, the old double standard. When Colin does it, quietly and respectfully he is a piece of shit, should be fired. But Rosanne, well, that's different.

Sure it is Steve, sure it is.

21 minutes ago, IpMan said:

Oh yes, the old double standard. When Colin does it, quietly and respectfully he is a piece of shit, should be fired. But Rosanne, well, that's different.

Sure it is Steve, sure it is.

Are you really this dense? You don't see any distinction between a person IN UNIFORM on the field of play in a TAYPAYER-FUNDED stadium insulting the entire nation and a person tweeting from home, possibly in a bathrobe, personally insulting a piece of shit like Valerie Jarrett? I do.

8 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

Are you really this dense? You don't see any distinction between a person IN UNIFORM on the field of play in a TAYPAYER-FUNDED stadium insulting the entire nation and a person tweeting from home, possibly in a bathrobe, personally insulting a piece of shit like Valerie Jarrett? I do.

I believe you just proved my point. Keep digging that hole Steve, those nuggets you keep throwing out sure ain't gold. 

2 minutes ago, IpMan said:

I believe you just proved my point. Keep digging that hole Steve, those nuggets you keep throwing out sure ain't gold. 

In other words you are that dense and have lost the argument -- again.

I've ALWAYS taken exception to employers terminating employment for what people do ON THEIR OWN TIME and ON THEIR OWN DIME. If Colon Crappernick wants to protest police brutality on his own time and on his own dime I say more power to him. If Roseanne Whatsherface wants to compare VJ to the Planet of the Apes more power to her. Obviously, if they're out there breaking laws that's something else, but to fire people over what they post to social media on their own time and their own dime? Ridiculous and completely politically motivated. I've had it up to hear with these faux outraged virtue signalers.  

4 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

In other words you are that dense and have lost the argument -- again.

I've ALWAYS taken exception to employers terminating employment for what people do ON THEIR OWN TIME and ON THEIR OWN DIME. If Colon Crappernick wants to protest police brutality on his own time and on his own dime I say more power to him. If Roseanne Whatsherface wants to compare VJ to the Planet of the Apes more power to her. Obviously, if they're out there breaking laws that's something else, but to fire people over what they post to social media on their own time and their own dime? Ridiculous and completely politically motivated. I've had it up to hear with these faux outraged virtue signalers.  

You Steve fail to grasp the reality of modern society and that is one of your many shortcomings. There is no longer a difference between public and private, between on the job and off the job. Are you by chance retired? The reason I ask is in this age we live pretty much every company has verbiage in the guidelines which state one can indeed be terminated for social media or public expression if that expression can be interpreted to be damaging to the company or brand.

Good news for Rosanne though, if she is part of SAG she can take it up with her union rep. Ain't America great!

Ps. The only one losing the arguments are you Steve as you have become anachronistic, a product of a bygone age which viewed social structure based on gender, color, and income level. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, IpMan said:

Ps. The only one losing the arguments are you Steve as you have become anachronistic, a product of a bygone age which viewed social structure based on gender, color, and income level. 

It was me and my kind that laid out the picnic blanket and the harvest in the first place and couldn't care less how the ants feel about it. "You didn't build that" -- Obama. You bet your ass I/we did!

Edited by SteveAJones

2 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

It was me and my kind that laid out the picnic blanket and the harvest in the first place and couldn't care less how the ants feel about it. "You didn't build that" -- Obama. You bet your ass I/we did!

:hysterical:

I don't like people can now be fired for expressing views - or even cracking a really bad/distasteful joke on social media. It's a bit shit.

Same with boycotts to some extent. It all gets out of control. And what is the result? MORE polarisation. It does NOT encourage discussion about issues and why certain "jokes" might be a bit shit when delivered in a very broad way that is bound to cause wholesale offence.

Everyone now is made to "go away" with any infraction. One bad joke shared publicly instead of with friends only, or that is leaked, and you need to disappear. I'm telling you, this is not going to end well. It feeds the ridiculous partisan divide that is already getting to dangerous levels. Levels where there may well be a challenge to "the system" - like if Trump is subpoenaed and just says "Fuck you, fake news, NO!" Or if he is forcibly removed and incites millions to decide the same thing:  "rejection of the legitimacy of Government" - where it starts to break down. It's getting nearer to an "event" than I think it ever has. Still not likely, but nothing surprises me anymore and it should not be discounted as possible.

If everyone stops to watch a show because the star or producer or whatever consistently writes or vblogs (or whatever) an opinion that half the country find appalling and in sends the show into a ratings swamp, then "natural justice" kicks in and the studio dumps the show for not performing. Having a studio pro-actively decide what can and cannot be said though? Fuck that. Not beyond limits, but where is the line? Strong conservative OR progressive views are controversial now. WHY??? We don't all have to agree on everything all the time. Especially when there is vast grey area in context/situation/target audience. (I admit, calling a black woman a monkey (practically) is all the way out there in terms of the "shitness scale") but no recourse, no discussion, just GTFO Roseanne, we don't like that.

When Louie CK was outed for being the shit perv he is (was?) he rightly took time off. He has gone away. GOOD. So he should. But it should be HIS decision - or the decision of everyone deciding he's a bit too shit to want to watch/subscribe to/go see. So he isn't told to go away, he goes away because he's a bit shit according to his fan base, and more importantly, his own decision.

Natural Justice if you will.

Fuck me, If some of the stuff I put out there either privately between mates (bad taste jokes that would make Jimmy Carr blush), or comments while pissed at the computer on some stupid forum were all revealed, there'd be some disgraceful gems in there. I do not think I am alone there. And if challenged, I'd have a conversation about it, and learn something. I should NOT be made to go away and stew on how intolerant everything is now.

Has anybody see the bridge? Can anybody find the middleground?