Are the 00's the best time to be a Zep Head

McSeven

ohh bloddy hell...

No way...

Today's music ruined the way people "groove". theres no swing...no nothing.

you were better off being a Zep Head back in the day than being one today.

All we can do now is sit and wait for a bunch of stars to align and bring us energy!!! Im telling you man...Robert really knew what he was talking about when he referred to cosmic energy.

We need another Ice Age...

I agree. Maybe if all the young people today weren't too busy thinking the dorks from my chemical romance and fall out boy were their GODS and pick up some Zeppelin, there would be a better musical influence for future bands. Because as of now, I have almost completely lost all hope for music. Luckily I grew up on the classics so my mind wasn't warped.

I know what you're saying. You were born too late to have ever seen them live, but too early to have access to the amazing stuf that is out there now when you were an excitable teen.

Its true that as far as access to film footage and rehearsal tapes etc, kids don't even know they're born these days. We would have sold our Grannies for stuff like that. B)

But really, the consensus is right to me - the best time would have been right there in the 70s when all the fun was happening. I was massively lucky to have been at Knebworth, although very young at the time. I would have just LOVED to have seen some of the shows our other forum members have seen.

Knebby you are so right about that!! I remember when the movie came out, it was the first taste for me to see what Zeppelin was like in concert. It was just so completely surreal and out of this world to see them on the big screen, and when it came to theatres near me I would go to every showing possible (usually both showings each night...) :lol:

And although I did get to see them play in '77 at Madison Square Garden, I would also have LOVED to see some of the earlier concerts that other forum members went to.

I agree. Maybe if all the young people today weren't too busy thinking the dorks from my chemical romance and fall out boy were their GODS and pick up some Zeppelin, there would be a better musical influence for future bands. Because as of now, I have almost completely lost all hope for music. Luckily I grew up on the classics so my mind wasn't warped.

It's all a bit relative because when people were into Zep at the time they were around, those from older generations looked down upon their "contemporary" music. It's what you are exposed to, like etc. There's a lot of good music today being made. It's not going to sound like the music of yesterday but that's not a bad thing. Music would be pretty boring if it never evolved IMO.

Uh, no. People don't know whether Led Zeppelin is a "he" or "they." If you wear a Zep shirt in public you get called a stoner and other stupid shit. Led Zeppelin are now permanently tied to the ignorance-painted and stupidly generalized picture of the seventies.

I disagree completely.

The best time to be a so called Zep head was when they were still a band. Wanting to see them live, waiting for the next bit of news, it could take months but you waited and waited. You hunted for anything and it wasn't easy but you still did it with all the anticipation of announcement of the next album or tour. But they were still a band.

And then getting the next album with all that it brought, going yet again into the unknown with each new album, with each new track. Imagine as those of us who were Zep heads got each new album as it came out.

Then you get the tour or show announcement and its " get the ticket wherever you can"

So you get the ticket and you get to see them LIVE!!!

Nothing quite like it for me, the shows i saw back in the 70's. Recreated back in 2007 with all the heady stuff that went with it. It was like going back 30 years.

Yes we can get the shows now with the touch of a button but there was nothing like Led Zeppelin still roaming the earth, trust me. I still hunt for everything i can so some things in me haven't changed in the 40 years i have been one of your so called Zep heads and still proud to be one.

So No the 2000's isnt the best time. The best time to be a Zep head was then.

The best time to be a so called Zep head was when they were still a band. Wanting to see them live, waiting for the next bit of news, it could take months but you waited and waited. You hunted for anything and it wasn't easy but you still did it with all the anticipation of announcement of the next album or tour. But they were still a band.

And then getting the next album with all that it brought, going yet again into the unknown with each new album, with each new track. Imagine as those of us who were Zep heads got each new album as it came out.

Then you get the tour or show announcement and its " get the ticket wherever you can"

Nothing quite like it for me, the shows i saw back in the 70's. Recreated back in 2007 with all the heady stuff that went with it. It was like going back 30 years.

Yes we can get the shows now with the touch of a button but there was nothing like Led Zeppelin still roaming the earth, trust me. I still hunt for everything i can so some things in me haven't changed in the 40 years i have been one of your so called Zep heads and still proud to be one.

:yesnod:

Deffo. This '85 baby envies the pants off anyone who experienced them first hand. You lot definately don't know who lucky you are. It's incredibly depressing missing out on just about everything. Even O2 passed me by.

:depressed:

:yesnod:

Deffo. This '85 baby envies the pants off anyone who experienced them first hand. You lot definately don't know who lucky you are. It's incredibly depressing missing out on just about everything. Even O2 passed me by.

:depressed:

I know how lucky I am and I only saw 4 shows in the 70's and then the O2. B)

But I also feel that my era also enabled me to see all the biggest bands at their creative and live peak. :)

But none ever came close to the whole experience of a Led Zeppelin show or album :rolleyes:

I know how lucky I am--I still wouldn't mind being younger though! :D

...and then you will be formally appointed as the CEO of Led Zeppelin Forum....... :lol:

...truth is music/culture has to be experienced for that moment, together....there is no other way to experience time, no matter how advanced technology is to appreciate Led Zeppelin music....the camaraderie that generation shared remains equally important, if not more...

:hippy:

Well said and I think you are absolutely right. I wish I had experienced it first hand.

Absofuckinglutely :D Did I spell that right ????..... :lol:

It's all a bit relative because when people were into Zep at the time they were around, those from older generations looked down upon their "contemporary" music. It's what you are exposed to, like etc. There's a lot of good music today being made. It's not going to sound like the music of yesterday but that's not a bad thing. Music would be pretty boring if it never evolved IMO.

Couldn't agree more ! The next great band will be something that we never dreamed of and it will be awesome when it happens. And it will show up right out of the blue when none of us expected it.....sound familiar :)

I don't think some of the youngin' today would go through what it took to see a Led Zeppelin concert.

First there was no ticket master to conveniently spit out a ticket from the comfort of your own home.

We had to spend the night in two vans, you know the ones with the shag carpet and the moon windows and it was freezing outside.

With minimal if any sleep we got up to get in line for the box office to open at 10 am

Standing in a drizzle turned sleet turned snow flurries, starting to get the picture?

By time the box office opened the crowd was bending the steel barricades and it was total

chaos and mayhem. Keep in mind this was just to buy tickets for a concert that was a few

months away.

So yeah I'd say we knew back then exactly whom we were going to see B):P

I don't think some of the youngin' today would go through what it took to see a Led Zeppelin concert.

First there was no ticket master to conveniently spit out a ticket from the comfort of your own home.

We had to spend the night in two vans, you know the ones with the shag carpet and the moon windows and it was freezing outside.

With minimal if any sleep we got up to get in line for the box office to open at 10 am

Standing in a drizzle turned sleet turned snow flurries, starting to get the picture?

By time the box office opened the crowd was bending the steel barricades and it was total

chaos and mayhem. Keep in mind this was just to buy tickets for a concert that was a few

months away.

So yeah I'd say we knew back then exactly whom we were going to see B):P

Nothing like the good old shaggin' wagons my man :lol:

Hi everyone! :wave: I'm new to the forum (but I've been a Zep Head for about four years).

To answer the topic question, I would have to say the 00s are definitely not the best time to be a zep head. Coming from a person born in 86, I sometimes wish I was 35 years older just so I could have experienced LZ live. Bootlegs are not the same as actually being there; you don't get the same energy. And while bootlegs are easily accessible on the internet for most people, if you have a crappy dial up connection, it takes at least two hours for a 10 min. video on YouTube to load. It can be extremely frustrating! :angry:

But anyway, it's not just LZ that I wish I could go back and experience, it's really the whole atmosphere of the 60s and 70s that I wish I could experience. Huge cultural and social changes took place during that time, and it would be amazing to be a part of that. Sometimes I don't think babyboomers realize how lucky they are (my relatives for example!). For now I guess I'll just have to wait for the time machine to be invented. :hippy:

Archived