Rope Burn Treatment

Zeppelin0731

I realize this is not a medical forum, but I have to ask for advice, and while I don't have time to sign up and wait for an answer from some other forum or doctor or something, I figure I could at least ask the people here as it will be the quickest reply I can get until the morning. I recently got severe rope burn (Yesterday). (It's really bad.) It is on my hands and goes past the skin all the way to the layers under the skin. Does anyone know how to treat this? If so your advice would be appreciated, if not, fuck off. I don't need sarcasm at this point, and am in pain when I move my hands in certain directions. I think I'll go to the hospital tomorrow, but I'll check this page later tonight for any responses. Thank You.

Call 911 if you need emergency assistance for shock or any severe symptoms.

Or if the burn is less serious, call (614) 293-BURN (2876) and ask them what to do.

Ohio State's Burn Center is located in the Cramblett Medical Clinic

mayoclinic.com/health/first-aid-burns

medicalcenter.osu.edu/patientcare/healthcare_services/burn_care

The Ohio State University Medical Center has the only adult burn center in central Ohio.

The center provides both inpatient and outpatient care for burn wounds and complex burn management. As part of Ohio State's level I trauma center, the Burn Center offers physical and occupational therapy, along with speech language therapy, social work and nutritional services. The dedicated medical staff and support team are specialized in the field of burn care, and provide the highest level of treatment.

Ohio State's Burn Center is located in the Cramblett Medical Clinic: (614) 293-BURN (2876)

Learn about the OSU Burn Support Group

To distinguish a minor burn from a serious burn, the first step is to determine the degree and the extent of damage to body tissues. The three classifications of first-degree burn, second-degree burn and third-degree burn will help you determine emergency care:

First-degree burn

The least serious burns are those in which only the outer layer of skin is burned. The skin is usually red, with swelling and pain sometimes present. The outer layer of skin hasn't been burned through. Treat a first-degree burn as a minor burn unless it involves substantial portions of the hands, feet, face, groin or buttocks, or a major joint.

Second-degree burn

When the first layer of skin has been burned through and the second layer of skin (dermis) also is burned, the injury is called a second-degree burn. Blisters develop and the skin takes on an intensely reddened, splotchy appearance. Second-degree burns produce severe pain and swelling.

If the second-degree burn is no larger than 3 inches (7.5 centimeters) in diameter, treat it as a minor burn. If the burned area is larger or if the burn is on the hands, feet, face, groin or buttocks, or over a major joint, treat it as a major burn and get medical help immediately.

For minor burns, including first-degree burns and second-degree burns limited to an area no larger than 3 inches (7.5 centimeters) in diameter, take the following action:

• Cool the burn. Hold the burned area under cold running water for at least five minutes, or until the pain subsides. If this is impractical, immerse the burn in cold water or cool it with cold compresses. Cooling the burn reduces swelling by conducting heat away from the skin. Don't put ice on the burn.

• Cover the burn with a sterile gauze bandage. Don't use fluffy cotton, which may irritate the skin. Wrap the gauze loosely to avoid putting pressure on burned skin. Bandaging keeps air off the burned skin, reduces pain and protects blistered skin.
  • Take an over-the-counter pain reliever. These include aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, others), naproxen (Aleve) or acetaminophen (Tylenol, others). Never give aspirin to children or teenagers.

Minor burns usually heal without further treatment. They may heal with pigment changes, meaning the healed area may be a different color from the surrounding skin. Watch for signs of infection, such as increased pain, redness, fever, swelling or oozing. If infection develops, seek medical help. Avoid re-injuring or tanning if the burns are less than a year old — doing so may cause more extensive pigmentation changes. Use sunscreen on the area for at least a year.

Caution

• Don't use ice. Putting ice directly on a burn can cause frostbite, further damaging your skin.

• Don't apply butter or ointments to the burn. This could prevent proper healing.
  • Don't break blisters. Broken blisters are vulnerable to infection.

Third-degree burn

The most serious burns are painless, involve all layers of the skin and cause permanent tissue damage. Fat, muscle and even bone may be affected. Areas may be charred black or appear dry and white. Difficulty inhaling and exhaling, carbon monoxide poisoning, or other toxic effects may occur if smoke inhalation accompanies the burn.

For major burns, dial 911 or call for emergency medical assistance. Until an emergency unit arrives, follow these steps:

1. Don't remove burnt clothing. However, do make sure the victim is no longer in contact with smoldering materials or exposed to smoke or heat.

1. Don't immerse large severe burns in cold water. Doing so could cause shock. Check for signs of circulation (breathing, coughing or movement). If there is no breathing or other sign of circulation, begin cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR).

1. Elevate the burned body part or parts. Raise above heart level, when possible.
  2. Cover the area of the burn. Use a cool, moist, sterile bandage; clean, moist cloth; or moist towels.

mayoclinic.com/health/first-aid-burns

Is it bleeding? If it's not, put some antiseptic ointment on it and then wrap the hand in sterile gauze. If it is bleeding, get your ass to the hospital. You might need stitches or some other kind of medical care that a simple trip to Walgreens won't cover.

How far past the top layer of epidermis does the burn go? I'm asking because if it's a raw, open and wide wound, there's a greater chance of infection setting into the muscle or near the bone if it goes that deep and the burn is not properly cleaned and treated. You're already complaining of pain when moving the hand certain ways, you don't want to exacerbate that by getting it infected.

Good luck and let us know how everything goes.

It's already morning, but I would try to keep it clean with something like peroxide because that stings a lot less then alcohol. Use something like neosporin on it and wrap it in sterile gauze to keep it from infection. best of luck with it!

Cooled, freshly-brewed tea works nicely when applied to minor burns; room temperature is probably best. It should feel comfortable when tested on the inside of your wrist.

It depends on how serious the rope burn is.

I would have a doctor look at it and then decide.

Thanks for the posts. I took some advice from them and had an emt I know look at it. He said a few more layers of skin and I would be at muscle. They did bleed a bit, but he said that I shoudn't have to go to the hospital unless it gets infected and to keep it covered unless other circumstances come up which I should not cover them. (Ex. excessive sweating or the bandages become wet and other things of that nature.) He gave me burn cream and bandages. Just one more question, Does anyone here have any guesses as to how long this will take to heal? Thanks for your concern and input.

By the way, I am going to try the tea thing. Seems like a pretty cool old home remedy. Couldn't hurt any more than the toothpaste I accidentally got in it last night.

Thanks for the posts. I took some advice from them and had an emt I know look at it. He said a few more layers of skin and I would be at muscle. They did bleed a bit, but he said that I shoudn't have to go to the hospital unless it gets infected and to keep it covered unless other circumstances come up which I should not cover them. (Ex. excessive sweating or the bandages become wet and other things of that nature.) He gave me burn cream and bandages. Just one more question, Does anyone here have any guesses as to how long this will take to heal? Thanks for your concern and input.

By the way, I am going to try the tea thing. Seems like a pretty cool old home remedy. Couldn't hurt any more than the toothpaste I accidentally got in it last night.

It depends on the severity. I would give it a year to heal properly.

I am concerned about the depth of the burn and the bleeding. It could be more than a minor burn, possibly a 2nd degree burn.

I would have a dermatologist look at it and evaluate it periodically for a year, just to keep an eye on it to prevent infection and insure correct healing.

I realize this is not a medical forum, but I have to ask for advice, and while I don't have time to sign up and wait for an answer from some other forum or doctor or something, I figure I could at least ask the people here as it will be the quickest reply I can get until the morning. I recently got severe rope burn (Yesterday). (It's really bad.) It is on my hands and goes past the skin all the way to the layers under the skin. Does anyone know how to treat this? If so your advice would be appreciated, if not, fuck off. I don't need sarcasm at this point, and am in pain when I move my hands in certain directions. I think I'll go to the hospital tomorrow, but I'll check this page later tonight for any responses. Thank You.

Hi 'Zeppelin0731'

All good advice from the members, i studied Aromatherapy many years ago and i have learnt that Oil of Lavender will take away much of the pain, rejuvenate the damaged areas and keep it free from infection.

Its the only Essential Oil that you do not need to dilute, you can use this straight on to the burn and it will start working immediatly, believe me i have used this many times on both myself and my family and it works every time, i always have a couple of small bottles handy, 50ml is quite sufficient.

"Lavender oil is used as an antiseptic, to soothe minor cuts and burns, to calm and relax, and to soothe headaches and migraines." Taken from Wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aromatherapy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavender_oil

http://www.tipking.co.uk/tip/2930.html

http://www.joys-of-lavender.com/lavender-oil-and-burns.html

And a few other links, i hope it helps, please keep me informed and hurry up getting better.

Regards, Danny

I'd say it is good advice to just make sure you keep it clean, put some antibiotic salve on in, and cover it with a non stick bandage. It's essentially the same thing as a really, really bad rug burn. Pain isn't necessarily a good guage of actual injury in this case, a skin injury is always going to hurt like hell because of all the nerve endings located in the skin. It shouldn't take too terribly long to heal. Just watch for signs of infection, such as: increased pain, swelling, redness, red streaks extending from the injury, if it feels hot to the touch, if there is pus, or if you develop a fever.

If the skin is un-broken then put ice on it as soon as possible otherwise wash with normal soap and water and apply antibiotic salve and cover with sterile gaze. Don't put butter on it like my silly mother used on us as kids LoL.

yah stick your hand in a bucket of cold water for as long as you can.

Skin heals in water. When I was 18 I got pushed next to a bonfire

and lost my balance. In order to break the fall I held my hand out and landed it in the center of the bonfire. I had third degree burns on my hand. I went home and stuck my hand in an ice cold bucket of water, figuring that since we are made of water water is the best healent for dried out/burnt skin, for three days... then a friend said "Rob you better go to the hospital I can see bone on your

finger as well as the skin hanging there". So I went to the hospital and got it painfully cleaned up with alcohol. Their are no scars on my hand. You can't tell I had third degree burns on my hand.

Archived