ATTENDEE'S

So, here is my O2 story.

My story begins during the mad scramble for tickets through the infamous ballot. Not fully appreciating the full ‘rules’ at the time of the application, I email everyone in my address book asking them all to apply on-line on my behalf and state that if they were to win, I’d be round like a shot to buy the tickets off them. It seems funny looking back now, but had some of the people who I asked to apply actually won, then I probably would have been their ‘guest’ as they would have ended up having to go as the winner. That would have made for some very interesting pairings. I cannot for the life of me imagine having to take my 70yr old mother with me to a rock concert!!

However one such person I emailed was a friend of mine called Terry. Terry and I go back a long way, for back in 1979 I had two tickets for the Knebworth Aug 11th show. I had been the week previous for the Aug 4th gig with a different friend, but he couldn’t do the following week. I ended up taking Terry. I was 17 and he was 15. Then in 1998 I saw Page & Plant three times in the space of 4 days (Manchester and two consecutive nights at Wembley Arena for those interested). I had scored tickets via TBL, and I again offered Terry the chance to accompany me to two of these shows, which he duly accepted.

So, needless to say, I wasn’t one of the ‘chosen ones’ after the first ballot for the O2. I never heard from anyone else that I had asked to apply either (a sigh of relief in some cases). Same again after the second ballot and by this time I had come to accept that I would not be going to the O2. It looked as if I’d be sharing a pedalo on the Thames with Ninelives come the evening of Dec 10th and this is the closest that I would get (that’s an ‘in’ joke for those not in the know btw).

Not even realising there was a third ballot to take place (as a result of the JP little pinkie accident and subsequent rescheduling I guess), I found myself in Belgium of all places at the very time of the draw. During this short business trip abroad I had my private mobile phone switched off. I arrived back in Hull on the overnight ferry very early (7am) on Thursday 22nd November and this is when I switched my mobile phone back on. Well my phone went crazy!! I had numerous text messages/voicemails from loads of different people all stating just one thing...”RING TERRY. RING TERRY”...and then, one of the very last voicemails is from Terry himself. “Where the hell are you? Been ringing you constantly for the last 24 hours. Turn your phone on. I’ve won tickets to the O2. WE’RE OFF TO SEE ZEPPELIN!!”

In total disbelief and shaking like a nervous wreck, I fumble with my phone frantically trying to ring Terry. I get through, but Terry is on his way to work and he’s in a poor signal reception area. He realises it’s me and tells me to calm down. He manages to tell me that he received a winning email, the tickets are secured and that he will be taking me as his guest...’for a change’. And that was it. I was going and I just could not contain my joy for the rest of the day. I had the widest grin on my face for about a week after this news. Everyone who knew me was so pleased for me. They all know my passion for Zeppelin, but it’s something only you guys reading this will ever truly understand...and boy, was I ever glad that I decided to take Terry to Knebworth all those years ago! I guess what goes around, comes around.

Circumstances dictated that Terry and I would have to drive there and back on the day of the concert. I had watched the media reporting and those reporting on LZ.com about the huge queue’s at the O2 on the Sunday for tickets and wristbands, and so it was with still a certain amount of disbelief that we set off at 0545hrs on Monday 10th December 2007, Terry armed with the necessary documentation and me with Aqua’s mobile telephone number! (as Aqua has stated, she sent me a last minute PM just before she set off stating that she had my mobile number...she never actually had it, but luckily she’d sent me hers).

We arrived at the O2 at 1030am. I had pre-booked car parking at the O2 car park, and after the short walk to the main concourse area, we wondered just how big the queue for wristband and tickets was going to be. We were expecting a very long wait, but to our utter amazement there was nobody there...and I mean nobody! We merely walked straight to the ticket window, showed the necessary documents and were gleefully in possession of tickets and wristbands by 1045hrs.

This is the point that I rang Aqua. “This is Pilot” I begin, feeling slightly nervous and getting some odd looks from Terry who has no idea of my forum activities. So we agree to meet at 2pm at Canary Wharf tube station. Before we leave the O2, we go to have a look at those already stood (or should I say ‘laid out’) in-line. We watch someone about 4th in-line being interviewed by the media explaining that he is the first ‘Brit’ in the queue and that everyone in front of him are American!!!

Terry and I head off ‘up West’ for a few hours. I enter Virgin/Zavvi in Piccadilly Circus to the sounds of tracks taken from ‘Mothership’. These are good times to be a Zeppelin fan.

Just before 2pm we find ourselves at Canary Wharf looking for Celia, Aqua and Paul. Now I don’t know how this came about, but I had a clear view of what Celia and Aqua looked like, but was unsure about Paul...strange that . Anyway, from the top of the escalators I see Celia and not before long it’s all introductions, handshakes and hugs!! The next problem is locating Aqua somewhere in the labyrinth of shops in Canary Wharf...just how many ‘Boots’ chemists can there be in such a relative short space??? Eventually we find her and all is well (another round of introduction and hugs!).

It’s great to actually meet people from the forums, and I only wish I’d have been able to meet Chicken, Leddy and Knebby as well. This short meeting with Paul, his ticket buddy Vince, Celia and Helen becomes one of the highlights of the day for me.

After a far too short meeting, including the photo shoot posted previously, we make the short journey to the O2.

We all emerge from the tube station and walk out onto the concourse area outside the O2. It’s busy with people steadily making their way to the Arena and there is a real buzz in the air. We all stop and take photos of anything that moves with Zeppelin’s name in neon lights...huge drums, Zeppelin blimp and in my case a couple of ‘rock chicks’ just outside the entrance to the Dome itself. This is the last time that I see Aqua and Celia and I can sense that they are keen to get into the standing area to secure a good spot. With a final ‘goodbye’ hug, they’re gone.

As we have seating tickets we’re in no particular hurry and I find myself still composed and just soaking up the atmosphere of it all. Terry and I spend about an hour stood in the queue for merchandise, but we are also stood with Paul (ledded1) and Vince so the time passes quick enough as I delve into Paul’s concert experiences and stand there with my mouth wide open when he lists his Zeppelin collectables!! Finally my time in the merch queue arrives and I purchase a tee shirt and a hard backed programme. The mugs have sold out, much to my disappointment and I’m kicking myself I didn’t buy one this morning when we collected our tickets (I later order a couple online however).

By the time we’ve finished in the merchandise queue, the turnstiles are open for our section in the seating area. We pass through the so called security checks, which only consist of looking in all bags. If you’re not carrying a bag then you just pass straight through!! Terry and I say our goodbye’s to Paul and Vince at this point (no hugs) and we make our way into the arena to see how good our seats are. We find that we are high up...make that very high up. This is my first visit to the arena and the upper seating area is fairly steep. We are sat directly opposite the stage, and slightly to the left of centre when looking at the stage itself. To be honest, this is the least of my worries. Just being there is mind-blowingly incredible and I feel so lucky and privileged.

Harvey Goldsmith comes onto the stage to make a few announcements about the running order and to plug the DVD about Ahmet’s life that accompanies the official programme. I wonder if there’s going to be some form of reaction towards him about the ticket ballot fiasco, but his appearance passes off without incident.

The support acts begin. I thoroughly enjoy the Keith Emmerson/Chris Squire version of ‘Fanfare for the Common Man’ as well as Maggie Bell and Paul Rodgers. Bill Wyman, Paolo Nutini etc are OK. Foreigner is pure ‘cheese’ and they do nothing for me. After Foreigner leave the stage everything looks ready.

Jimmy’s symbol makes a welcome return to the amp and just after 9pm the house lights go down. The show begins with the Tampa news clip as featured as an extra on the new re-mastered TSRTS DVD. Watching this film clip makes me wonder just how many people here tonight actually know about the news reel clip and have seen it before. As soon as the news clip finishes we immediately get a taste of what to expect from a certain Mr Bonham for the rest of the evening... DUH ,DUH blasts out as they launch into GTBT.

MY GOD, THEY’RE ON STAGE. I have to pinch myself to ensure that I’m not dreaming and I see Terry look over in my direction. I’m sure my face was a dead giveaway and I sense that Terry is also quietly pleased with himself for managing to get us to the event of the decade.

Next up its straight into ‘Ramble On’, played out in a similar arrangement to the Page Plant 95 tour. Terry complains that the sound is not quite what it should be and Pagey’s guitar is lost in the mix. I initially disagree, but after a short while find myself conceding that point. Thankfully by the next song (Black Dog) things appear to have been sorted. I’m personally not over keen on the way Robert sings this particular version of Black Dog, but this is only a very minor gripe in an otherwise ‘kick ass’ performance. It’s during Black Dog that I notice that two young guys have returned to their seats adjacent to me...they had obviously gone to the bar after Foreigner cleared off stage and they have missed the first two and a half songs of the mighty Zeppelin!!! Can you believe that!!! What a waste of a pair of tickets.

‘In My Time of Dying’ is just superb, and in particular I’m very pleased to hear the ‘Honey Bee’ refrain. Again I find myself wondering what percentage of people here tonight even recognises that little titbit.

‘For Your Life’ is pure brilliance and magnificently played. A real treat. Poor Terry’s Zeppelin knowledge is brought into question at this point and I have to put him straight! It’s great to see the three ‘seniors’ constantly looking at Jason as if in a needlessly-over-concerned-parent sort of a way.

I also like the fact that they never move that far apart for much of the concert and remain in a constant area centred around Jason’s drum kit.

By now they are well and truly cooking on gas. Trampled Under Foot is played to its usual funkiness. Nobody’s Fault But Mine...just fantastic. No Quarter...much trimmed and complete with dry ice. Jonesy, it has to be said, epitomises pure concentration throughout the entire evening. Luckily we have the large back drop TV screen to give us, up in the lap of the Gods, this insight.

Since I’ve Been Loving You. Jimmy gives us a great vintage solo.

Dazed and Cofused, as Robert informs us ‘just has to be there’. I love this shortened version, but notice the first real mistake of the evening as they appear to get lost when trying to bring it all back together after Jimmy’s solo. Terry and I particularly enjoy the green laser pyramid section as we are suddenly transported back some 28 years to Knebworth. Just awesome!

A real shock for me next as Jimmy begins the first few chords of ‘Stairway’. I for one never saw this one coming, but I’m so pleased it is here tonight. It’s reception is some what muted and I guess that people are either in total amazement at its inclusion or that they are in floods of tears. Me...I’m still holding it all together at this point. Really enjoying the whole experience. Still pinching myself from time to time, but happy as a pig in shit nonetheless. Roberts “Hey Ahmet! We did it!” cry at the end of Stairway is a touching moment and, as I make a mental note, a sure fire bootleg title in the forthcoming weeks.

Next up is one of my all time favourite live songs. I just love TSRTS. Tonight’s version is not the best I’ve ever heard as it lacks a little ‘punch’ but boy, I’m so pleased its here. This is probably the one song that I was really hoping that they were going to perform.

A no-nonsense Misty Mountain Hop follows TSRTS and Jason’s mini solo effort on vocals with ‘I Can’t Quit You Baby’.

Robert then talks about the 50 nations that are represented here tonight and then goes to explain that this is the 51st nation. KASHMIR!. This really brings the house down. The whole arena is going wild and the effort the band put into this performance just blows me away. Robert especially pulls out all of the stops on this one. Awesome, awesome, awesome. It’s hard to describe the emotions you are feeling at this moment in time...something that I never thought I would feel again. I feel so lucky to have seen Zeppelin live at both Knebworth events, but to be part of this here tonight is really something else. Even though Kashmir is the highlight of the evening, I’m still holding it all together.

With that, they’re off...but not for long. After a deafening ovation they return to give us Whole Lotta Love...complete with Theramin, although I suspect something is not quite right with this piece of equipment.

Amazingly, after WLL, people start to leave the arena. Unbelievable!!. They return to give us a stonking version of Rock and Roll with the whole place on its feet. Then it’s all over. Jason clambers down from the drum kit and then bows down in worship fashion to Robert, Jonesy and Jimmy. This is where I lose it and the tears just flow down my cheeks. I’m so happy and yet sad at the same time as I spare a moment to the memory of Bonzo. Jason did his dad proud tonight as he nailed his performance and I’m sure Bonzo was watching from afar with a huge grin on his face, supping a pint of mild in utmost approval.

It’s a long long drive home after the concert and I’m very tired and yet euphoric at the same time and I eventually hit the sack about 5am...having been up for the last 24 hours...but what a 24 hours!!!!!!!

What wonderful stories everyone!!!!! Not only getting to see the show and the excitement/nerves of obtaining the tickets etc., but how special to have met up with people. Pilot - as much as it would have been great being in the pedalo after all that training ;) I'm really really happy you ended up getting to see the show! Don't worry, Fenix and I pedaloed in your honour :D

Below is a copy of my blog I posted when I got back from London so ENJOY!

So here we go...I had major jetlag and needed to recover before sitting down to write this. Just so no one gets the wrong idea and gets pissed I had to pay for my ticket the same as everyone else $300.00 plus airfare $600.00

I got a call about a month ago from my old touring buddy He said I got some incredible news! I am working for Foreigner and we are opening up for Led Zeppelin in London on the 10th of December and my old lady can't go." He then said I could take her place as his guest at the show and would I like to go!!! Of course, I thought he was pulling my leg at first as I had entered every drawing for tickets I could find, with no luck. But when I realized he was serious and that I would acutally be there to witness the reunion of Led Zeppelin, I was beside myself with joy, as I thought this would never happen. I got on the web and started looking for plane tickets and hotels. I found a decent flight. Hotels were another story, but as luck would have it our friend from England, called to tell us she would be in London that weekend watching her friend's flat and she asked if I needed a place to stay in London. It seemed as though the stars aligned for me and everything just fell into place. I talked to my friend again and let him know I had a place to stay and a plane ticket and was for sure going to make it, and off I went to London too see Led Zeppelin!! Can you believe it? I arrived in London on Sunday my friend with the flat picked me up from Gatwick and we headed for London. We made a quick stop at her flat to drop off my things; then a tour of London. It was cold and raining so at about four (tea time) I decided I had seen enough and was over it. I just wanted the day to end, as the show was the next day. London is nice, but have been there so many times and I just wanted to see Led Zeppelin, lol. I took them to dinner at a local pub and I had a great meal- steak and stout pie (good stuff)! We went back to the flat and talked for a while. I then retired and got some sleep as Monday was going to be the greatest day of my life. I woke up and started my journey through the London Tube to were the O2 arena is located. I was on my way to meet my friend at his hotel near the gig. Nothing eventful-just a long ride on a very clean subway. I arrived at the hotel and had to wait about two hours for him to arrive from Heathrow. We finally met up and I was informed by my friend that not only could I stay with him in his hotel room but I was also going to the gig with the Foreigner crew. I dropped my stuff and off we went to the gig. Now I was getting excited. We were on our way to meet up with management rep who had my ticket. We were driven over in private vans and were droped off right behind the stage--Led Zeppelin's stage! Can you believe this? And it gets better! We wait around a few minutes. The manager rep turns up and hands my friend an envelope. He opens it and hands me another with my name. I open it to not only find my ticket and wristband but an all access laminate...ALL ACCESS!....and a wristband for the afterparty. I was about to drop dead right there. I, of course, hugged my friend and helped him load some guitars, as we started loading in Foreigner in total shock. I just kept thinking that it was a dream and I would wake up any minute. So as the day went on, I sat in the arena and watched everyone soundcheck while my friend did his gig. I watched Bill Wyman do his thing as well as Albert Lee, Maggie Bell, Kieth Emerson, Chris Squire, Alan White, Simon Kirk, Foreigner and then another legend Paul Rogers! His sound check was amazing! He did Seagull acoustic and Can't Get Enough of Your Love. So after all that, I am sitting on stage left and Foreigner's production manager, who had been cool to me all day, came up and offered me a meal ticket for dinner. I first declined saying "You guys have done enough for me" and he said "Bullocks, go eat, Mate! I took the ticket and went down to catering I decided to have a little steak while my friend had the fish. We sat down and--could you believe it--Jason Bonham comes down and sits across from us and starts talking to my friend. He asks how the food is as he got lamb shank. I said it was good. Jason looked at me and said "Looks good, but says to my friend, Mate, you're an awful long way from a decent ocean to be eating fish...you should have had the lamb!" My friend looks up at Jason and says "I don't eat anything you all FUCK over here!" Jason started laughing, as did I and everyone else in ear shot. After we all got done choking with laughter, we sat and chated for a while about how surreal it all was and about our families and friends who wanted to attend but could not, We then finished dinner, wished Jason luck, and off we went to have a smoke and a look around the arena.We walked around for about an hour until doors opened and then decided to go out the "load in" dock for our smoke. You won't believe what happened next. I start to follow my friend. As he stops to talk to his tour manager, I see Dave Grohll from Foo Fighters/Nirvana and I say "Hey Dave, you weren't kidding when you said you would not miss this for the world!" He looks at me and says, "Are you kidding me? It is fucking Zeppelin man...we are at LED FUCKING ZEPPELIN MAN!" "Can you believe it? I would have canceled my tour to be here. We are at Zeppelin man!" So as we walk away laughing we walk to the dock and as we are heading outside I turn and my friend says to me "Look, Paul McCartney! Can you believe that--a true Beatle!!" I said "thats true rock royalty"! Paul heard me say that and as he walks up to extend his hand, I take it and he says to us "Come on boys, were going to the bar! Roy shakes his hand and says "You buyin, Paul?" Paul McCartney just laughs and says again "To the bar, boys" we laughed and said thanks but could'nt so we walked to the dock to have our smoke. So now comes the good part...we go back in and watch all the openers from the side of the stage and after that we go up to check out where the after party is. As we are walking we see some people in what looks like a bar. We walk in to check it out. I walk up to the bar and order a soda as I am waiting there Jeff Beck walks up and stands right there as he waits for his drink. I look over and say "Hey Jeff," he says "Hey back" and says to me "Going to be a good one mate so enjoy." I just could not believe what was going on. So after all that, to our seats we go which are incredible off stage right a few rows up--perfect seats--and wait for the moment of truth.....and about ten minutes later it happens. The light go out and then after a video intro from early in there carreer, they appear out of the black...LED ZEPPELIN! They open with a thunderous version of Good Times Bad Times then into Ramble On then Black Dog. The band sounded incredible! Jason was on fire! Then they do In My Time Of Dying and then a song they never performed live before (off of the Presence album) For your Life, and Jimmy Page and Robert Plant are incredible! Then they did Trampled Under Foot and Nobodys Fault But Mine, then No Quarter with amazing solos from John Paul Jones and Jimmy Page. They were just tearing it up! It sounded amazing and they were better then I had ever imagined and it only got better they then went in to Since I've Been Loving You and then Dazed and Confused. Page did the whole bow solo with the green pyrimid it was like watching them in 1973! It was amazing and Page was flawless as he put all other guitar players to shame with that solo. Then it happened--the dream to top all dreams--there Page was standing with his double neck guitar...They did Stairway to Heaven and it brought tears to my eyes. It sounded amazing. I just could not believe it and I thought "It can't get any better than this," but I was wrong...it did. They finished Stairway and Plant thanked Ahmett. Then they did one of my all time favorites-The Song Remains The Same, again with the double neck. It sounded like the heavens had opened up and and showered the arena with a thunderous sound. Plant introduced Jason and told a story about him and his Mom and Dad when he was a little boy. Then they went into a really old classic, Misty Mountain Hop, in which Jason Bonham outdid his dad on the kit. It was an amazing thing to witness. Then just when you thought it couldn't get any better, it did again! They finished the set with probably the heaviest song of the night, Kashmir, where, again, the band proved why they were and still are the best rock band in history. They smoked everybody I have ever seen in concert with that one song alone. They hugged each other, Jason got down on his knees and bowed to the other three members they took a bow and left the stage with the audience in a frenzy. About 3 minutes later they appeared out of the dark Jimmy walked up to the microphone and thanked everyone and went into an incredible version of Whole Lotta Love, complete with Jimmy Page's Therimin solo. They then took another bow. You can only imagine what was going through their minds. It was a magical night! They left the stage and then appeared about 2 minutes later out of the dark. They went into an amazing version of another old classic...Rock and Roll. Robert thanked everyone again and off into the dark they went. As I looked around, I had to keep reminding myself of what I just witnessed, as it felt like a dream. It was something I will never forget and next to my son being born was the greatest thing I ever witnessed. Still in shock from the show, me and my friend and a few others decided to hit the afterparty. That turned out to be not a good idea, as there were thousands of people trying to get in to the party. We walked in and all the rockstars of the evening were there. We walked around for about a half hour and decided to call it a night--it was obvious the members of Led Zeppelin were not there and were off somewhere planning their next takeover of the world! We went back to the hotel, ordered room service and reminiced about what we just witnessed. Got a few hours sleep, said goodbye to my dear friend (who I will never forget for what he did for me) and off to the airport I went for the grueling 15 hour journey home. During the flight, all I kept praying was that the plane wouldn't crash, because I just wanted to get home and tell everyone what I had just witnessed. And I haven't stopped tallking about it since! So there is my story after 27 years, it just goes to show you that dreams do come true. They really do. I hope everybody enjoys the story. I went to London, I met a Beatle, a Yardbird and a Foo Fighter and had dinner with a Bonham. Oh yeah....and saw LED ZEPPELIN!

All The Best,

allbettsareoff

I (likecats) was there. Standing, dead center, about 30 feet back. I was unlucky in the lottery but immediately went on eBay before all the scalpers were shut down and bought the cheapest passcode I could find ($389). Yes, I was one of those cheaters that Harvey Goldsmith hated, other boardies hated,.....and I have absolutely no regrets. I was very determined.

The code worked and I bought a floor ticket (my wife declined to go, so I only bought one and left the other in the ticket pool for someone else), which must have cost about $275 after converting from GBP's to US$. It turned out I was able to use mileage points to get a package deal on airfare and hotel for free, so the biggest expense was the concert ticket. You all know about the subsequent hassles: Mr. Goldsmith's threats to cancel passcode buyer's tickets, and the postponement of the concert, but I was able to change the air and hotel.

There was a lot of frustration during the weeks leading up to the concert, but after I left work in San Diego and drove to the L.A. airport for the flight to London all the problems melted away and everything fell into place for the rest of the trip. I'm glad it occurred two years ago and not now during the financial mess, but I would still make it happen somehow if the opportunity arose again.

I (likecats) was there. Standing, dead center, about 30 feet back. I was unlucky in the lottery but immediately went on eBay before all the scalpers were shut down and bought the cheapest passcode I could find ($389). Yes, I was one of those cheaters that Harvey Goldsmith hated, other boardies hated,.....and I have absolutely no regrets. I was very determined.

The code worked and I bought a floor ticket (my wife declined to go, so I only bought one and left the other in the ticket pool for someone else), which must have cost about $275 after converting from GBP's to US$. It turned out I was able to use mileage points to get a package deal on airfare and hotel for free, so the biggest expense was the concert ticket. You all know about the subsequent hassles: Mr. Goldsmith's threats to cancel passcode buyer's tickets, and the postponement of the concert, but I was able to change the air and hotel.

There was a lot of frustration during the weeks leading up to the concert, but after I left work in San Diego and drove to the L.A. airport for the flight to London all the problems melted away and everything fell into place for the rest of the trip. I'm glad it occurred two years ago and not now during the financial mess, but I would still make it happen somehow if the opportunity arose again.

My ticket partner got his tickets that way too, and I have no regrets either. I desperately wanted to go, things were happening in my life that had made even thinking about how to get a ticket impossible, and then a friend from the boards put me in touch with someone who was selling his spare ticket because he wanted it to go to a real fan. The chances of my saying no to manna from heaven were zero. ;)

(On the flight over, I was sitting next to a guy who had got his ticket in what must have been at least the fourth ballot, and who had no idea there had been previous ballots. :rolleyes::D His friend had been unable to come at the last minute, so he had a ticket to sell, at face value. So I felt like destiny wanted me there one way or another!)

I love reading all these stories. Y'all are some incredibly lucky people! Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm living vicariously through all of you...

I was there. Amazingly, front row and back stage, through sheer luck. Here is my story as posted elsewhere on this site.

I have a pretty great story from that night too, but it starts a few months before the show, when the first round of ballot winners was announced. A guy in my office called me and said "you gotta come down here". There, in his inbox, is a winning ballot. I tried my best to play it cool but finally I cracked and said "you are taking me, right?" To my great dismay he said "uhh...um.. no, I am taking my girlfriend". His "girlfriend" was a girl he had met in Las Vegas a few weeks before. Needless to say I was devastated. What a waste of a ticket, I thought... I offered him a pile of money to sell me his tickets, but no deal. In any event I am happy to report that they are still together, so maybe it wasn't a waste after all. But that is his story not mine.

My story picks up again a few hours later when I see passcodes for sale on eaby. (I know that is a sore spot for many around here, but hopefully we are all over it by now) I quickly read the terms and conditions on my friend's winning ballot. I am a lawyer. I saw nothing contained therein that would preclude me from purchasing a passcode on ebay. Transfering a purchased ticket, yes, but not transfering a passcode. So I did. When I bought the tickets from ticketmaster using the code I was over the moon with excitement. Truth be told I was jumping around my house like a man possessed shrieking "I AM GOING TO SEE ZEPPELIN". I was euphoric.

A day later my hopes were dashed. Harvey Goldsmith said he would cancel all tickets purchased by someone other than the passcode winner. In my view he changed the rules of the game, but whatever side of the debate you are (were) on, I am sure that anyone reading this can imagine how devastated I was. I wrote to Harvey, both on his blog and privately, and urged him to reconsider on both compassionate and legal bases. Any of you who visited his blog may have seen some of my posts there. I took comfort with the people at lzls.org who were all in the same boat. But that was a horrible few months. I barely ate or slept. The one highlight was being quoted for a story by the BBC about the whole debacle.

Anyway, as you all know, eventually Harvey caved in and I was off to London. This is where the story went beyond my wildest imagination.

The night of the show, there was a Canadian Radio Station that was to have been broadcasting from the O2. I said to my friend who came with me let's try to track them down and see if they will interview a couple Canadians who made the trip to see the show. After searching the arena I could not find them. I asked security and they directed me to the media office. I have no idea why, but when I was in the media office asking where I could find the radio station, the lady inside handed us media passes. She must not have understood what we were asking for! This was like a gift from heaven.

With our passes, we ended up in the front row of the arena to watch the show. It was unreal. The show was incredible. I don't want to gloss over it, but I think you have all heard and seen how amazing it was so I won't try to recount it here.

Standing in the front row I thought I could not get any luckier. I did. After the show we tried to use the media passes to get into the party at the Indigo. We were denied access. No media allowed. You needed a wristband. However, I recall that prior to the show there was a dinner taking place on the 2nd or 3rd floor of the O2. I said to my buddy "let's see what is going on up there". We got up there and there was a lively party, but again we weren't allowed in. For this party you needed a red sticker that said "Backstage Bar". We sat around outside for a bit and then it hit me. Why not ask someone for their sticker... A nice family was walking out and so I mustered up the courage and politely asked if we could have their passes. To my great surprise they obliged!!

Into the party we went. We walked around totally in awe of where we were. Zeppelin symbols lit up the walls and if you looked out the one side of the bar you could see into the arena. We were high above and right behind the stage where Zeppelin had just played. The bar opened right into the back of the arena!

Then we saw a couple celebs. Chad Smith (Red Hot Chili Peppers) and adult film star Tera Patrick and her husband from BioHazzard. But that was it. After about an hour in there I began to think I was in the "B-list" party. I wanted to leave. You can only bug Chad Smith for so long... But my buddy, smartly, said "We're in England, backstage at the Zeppelin show. Let's have another drink before we go. So we did. THANK GOODNESS!!!! Because...... about 15 minuets later John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham walked in. I was speechless. We spoke to both of them at some length. Jason's whole family was also back there. They were all so happy and they posed for a few pictures by a professional photographer and by others at the party. They stayed for about an hour, but to me it seemed like forever! It was probably the most amazing thing that has ever happened to me in my life. My camera battery died, but not before I got a few pictures myself. My avatar is me and JPJ backstage after the show. I felt like the luckiest guy on the planet. And you know what? For that moment in time, I probably was....

marolyn-marolyn

BK 416 ROW R SEAT 832

LEVEL 4

(otherwise known as "the section just to the left of the drunken girl getting dragged out by security"...idiot!)

I was there too. 416 Row A Seat 830. Never noticed the drunken girl. Too busy watching zep. Being the first row, I just laid my camera on the glass ledge and just kept taking pics while enjoying the greatest concert of my life.

Cheers

Tim

It is amazing how many people on this forum were in the front rows and center stage. What are the odds?

I think Tim was referring to being in the front row of his section up in the seated area, not the front row standing if I read correct.

I was there too. 416 Row A Seat 830. Never noticed the drunken girl. Too busy watching zep. Being the first row, I just laid my camera on the glass ledge and just kept taking pics while enjoying the greatest concert of my life.

Cheers

Tim

hey tim...the view of a lifetime, huh?

(really surprised you could have missed her though...they brought in about 4 or 5 security guys who were trying to rip her from the seat she was clinging to...everyone cheered when they broke her free and dragged her kicking and screaming up the aisle...)

Try not to gloat too much, Tim. ;) For the people who didn't have any choice about noticing her, it must have been infuriating.

I can only imagine what it was like for those people she was interrupting. A lot of people investing time, money and travel for the show.

I guess it must also be hard on those who wanted to go, but couldn't :(

I was at The Verve show a couple of nights later, and witness a guy constantly hopping about, knocking people over, blocking the isle, and spilling beer all over people. At least he cooperated when security intervened.

I think Tim was referring to being in the front row of his section up in the seated area, not the front row standing if I read correct.

Yes, you're right, I was referring to the front row of the upper section of 416.

I was there in the upper seats, my g/f wanted to go down standing it was that high she was feeling dizzy, could hardly see JPJ though for that bastard speaker that was hanging over Jimmys head, luckily i was on Jimmys side of stage though.
seat numbers were level 4..bk421...row n..seat 461 and 462

I also have questions fsmith - Simon Kirke on at the Indigo? He is Free and Bad Company's drummer, he wasn't on at the aftershow. Do you mean Solomon Burke? He played there.

Also - you say your seats were to the left of the stage - from what perspective, band or crowd? Only most of the people you mention were on the opposite side to me - I was on the left side from the crowd perspective.

Great stories people - ta. :D

Nech, I noticed you with James "Big Bucks" Burnett in your gallery. I've been meaning to contact him to ask a few questions about the record store he had in Denton, TX. It was called 14 Records and located at 105 Avenue A. It was a favorite of Jimmy's, whom first met "Big Bucks" in Houston a few years prior when he was Ronnie Lane's butler!

Bucks is quite the character! Now the proud owner of Tiny Tim's teeth and Miss Vickie's manager!

Yep, I was there. Block 412, row B, seat 722.

Awesome evening, all over so fast. Still play the boots regularly and still talk about it to anyone who'll listen. The sense that still remains was just how moving it all was. Lots of tears and a real sense of gratitude to this band who've been the soundtrack to my life. I've never been surrounded by so many grown men crying ! And as time passes and it appears that this really was the very last show, the whole event seems with hindsight to have been even more important.

It really was a privilege to be there.

Archived