Best female rock vocalist

Now I love a raspy voice, but Janis is too over the top for me. It honestly sounds like a suffering cat to me at times! Sorry. :( I enjoy many of her songs, but as far as her having one of my favourite voices? Noooo. I don't get why people think she's the greatest, there's much more tasteful female voices out there if you ask me!

Now I love a raspy voice, but Janis is too over the top for me. It honestly sounds like a suffering cat to me at times! Sorry. :( I enjoy many of her songs, but as far as her having one of my favourite voices? Noooo. I don't get why people think she's the greatest, there's much more tasteful female voices out there if you ask me!

Your right songbird she is a bit much at times. No need to be sorry. L7 she is an acquired taste.....

I was joking when I made that comment, but I do like her.

Hi all,

Holly McNarland - (Holly McNarland)

I totally forgot about Holly. She had a great rocker voice and some great tunes. I've seen her live several times.

I also forgot Meridith Brookes. She had some good stuff. I always though she could be a little more rock sounding, but good stuff nonetheless.

• 1 year later...

How's it going "danelectro59?" Everyone has come up with some great choices for female vocalists that has passed through Rock n' Roll history as the Queen Of Rock n' Roll! My choices have and always will be the same as follows:

1.) Janis Joplin

2.) Grace Slick

3.) Cher

4.) Stevie Nicks

5.) Ann Wilson

6.) Carole King

7.) Carly Simon

8.) Pat Benatar

9.) Karen Carpenter

10.) Lita Ford

11.) Joan Jett

12.) Mama Cass Elliott

I'm sure that there are many more great female vocalists that haven't been brought up yet. ROCK ON!

This is the best list I have seen on this thread. Pretty much covers it. I may add, that in rock male vocalist cerainly have the upper hand, but even though I am not a big country fan, I prefer women vocalists by far in country music.

Edited by silvermedalist

• 2 years later...

i'm going to be going in a bit more rock and metal direction for this one.

Amy lee of evanessence

simone simons of epica

Sharon den adel of within temptation

brett Anderson of the donnas

lee aaron

lita ford

joan jett

tarja turunen formely of nightwish

for classical singers, Katherine Jenkins and sarah brightman

for country music, reba mcentire, pam tillis, and taylor swift

Aretha Franklin

Dusty Springfield

Janis Joplin

Ann Wilson

Alison Mosshart - The Dead Weather

Billie Holiday

Patsy Cline

Annie Lennox

Pattie Smith

Chrissie Hynde

Donna Summer

Deborah Harry

Joan Baez

Shania Twain

Pat Benatar

Alison Krauss

I understand topic is asking "Best Female Rock Vocalist" but there are other very good women voices in the whole music world.

^^ Taylor Swift, you MUST be kidding....every award show I have heard her sing on, she sings out of tune BIG TIME!

Melissa Etheridge was one of the best I have ever heard live, in terms of rock singers.