Best female rock vocalist

44 minutes ago, Walter said:

^ No Lita Ford?  She and Joan Jett always come to mind when I consider women rock singers.  Ann Wilson would be my favorite as others have said.  Strider, your list definitely is comprehensive! 

Nothing against Lita...I just preferred Joan's vocals to Lita and Cheri and I tried to limit my picks to one vocalist per band. That's why I chose Corin Tucker over Carrie Brownstein from Sleater-Kinney.

Rock music, by definition, should at some point, rock. It's one of those things which continually has its definition watered down by those who can't hang but want to. Margo Timmins? Wow. 

As far as female rock vocalists who actually rock, Janis and Wendy O. Williams lead the way along with the likes of Patti Smith, Joan Jett, Kathleen Hanna, L7, The Beeders, Exene, Shonen Knife, Polly Styrene, Mia Zapata... 

13 hours ago, Strider said:

Nothing against Lita...I just preferred Joan's vocals to Lita and Cheri and I tried to limit my picks to one vocalist per band. That's why I chose Corin Tucker over Carrie Brownstein from Sleater-Kinney.

Never liked Lita myself.

Now Joan Jett I love.

22 hours ago, Badgeholder Still said:

Rock music, by definition, should at some point, rock. It's one of those things which continually has its definition watered down by those who can't hang but want to. Margo Timmins? Wow. 

As far as female rock vocalists who actually rock, Janis and Wendy O. Williams lead the way along with the likes of Patti Smith, Joan Jett, Kathleen Hanna, L7, The Beeders, Exene, Shonen Knife, Polly Styrene, Mia Zapata... 

You have your list. I have mine. It ain't no hanging matter. Props for remembering Kathleen Hanna and Mia Zapata, who I forgot on my list. I also forgot the chick from Girlschool, whose name I cannot recall at present.

Edited by Strider

28 minutes ago, Strider said:

You have your list. I have mine. It ain't no hanging matter. Props for remembering Kathleen Hanna and Mia Zapata, who I forgot on my list. I also forgot the chick from Girlschool, whose name I cannot recall at present.

I like Girlschool and L7.

Linda Perry from 4 Non-Blonds has (had?) one of the strongest voices I have ever heard in rock, her performance on Morphine & Chocolate is stunning. Siouxsie Sioux is a no brainer, another unique and haunting voice. However, I have to reserve my #1 spot for Maria McKee. McKee started in country, moved to crossover & rock, now she does mostly folk & Americana. Just a top notch singer with a supreme instrument.

Oh, and honorable mention goes out to Alison Krauss. Though not a rock vocalist per se she did sing with old Robert so she gets a nod through osmosis. When she & Robert played the Dodge Theatre in Phx for Raising Sand, she kept having to walk over to stage right during Trampled Rose to tell the sound guy to turn down the gain on her mike. Her voice was so strong that when she sang the non-lyrical parts (the ahhh, ahhhhhh sections), it was beyond the threshold of pain and people were covering their ears and wincing. Pretty impressive.

Edited by IpMan

Inger Lorre of The Nymphs.
Very underrated 90s band.
I'm actually friends with her on Facebook, she's pretty cool.
She's doing a reunion show at the Viper Room May 27 with about 10 other bands.

Surprised no one has mentioned Joyce Baby Jean Kennedy of Mother's Finest.
She's always made me weak when she sings Baby Love.

Here she is in 1978...

...and still rocking in 2014!

18 hours ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

Seconded! I had the pleasure of listening to her soul-filled vocal range, for the first time, thanks to Delta Deep's amazing debut album! One of my favourite albums from 2015, for sure! B) 

Third and passed! She is one hell of a belter and that is one hell of an album.

10 hours ago, IpMan said:

Absolutely! And she just belts it out, in such a wonderful and sensible way, without being overbearing or annoying to listen to! After listening to a snippet of Bang The Lid, I knew that this lady's vocal abilities were something mighty special! The entire album is incredible, especially Burnt Sally! B) 

7 hours ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

Absolutely! And she just belts it out, in such a wonderful and sensible way, without being overbearing or annoying to listen to! After listening to a snippet of Bang The Lid, I knew that this lady's vocal abilities were something mighty special! The entire album is incredible, especially Burnt Sally! B) 

17 hours ago, IpMan said:

Glad you both love it as well. It's has some really good slide guitar on it

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
17 hours ago, Wally Hood said:

Nancy Wilson doesn't make the cut ? Between her and Anns harmonies , they both melt me . Nancys vocal abilities are  equal to Anns imo

Ann is the main singer, you can throw Nancy in there as well.

Edited by BledZabbath
Typo