What Made You Un-Happy Today ?

The Rover

13 hours ago, timothy5151 said:

Injury does not have to occur for it to be considered a school shooting, nor does it have to occur during normal school hours (many school activities occur on school grounds after school hours). While I agree that some of these school shootings should not be classed as school shootings, the quote from Sarah Tofte from this article, which is listed below, needs to be given a lot of weight when deciding on this definition.

every time a gun is discharged on school grounds it shatters the sense of safety for students, parents and the community."

Regardless of what the definition of school shooting is........ 1 school shooting is 1 too many!!!! Until the American society and its politicians accept this, then nothing will change in America!!! 

Thank you. Some sanity. 

19 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

This 43 day rundown fits your narrative but completely omits the fact there's no universally accepted definition of a mass shooting. The FBI threshold was four, until Barrack Hussein Obama changed it to three in 2013. Some leftist orgs characterize any shooting involving more than two people as a mass shooting. Some consider any shooting on school property to be a school shooting, to include single fatality suicides in the parking lot. Anyway, if we could see this same level of social obsessiveness from you and the like-minded with regard to the out of wedlock birth rate and high school graduation rates we may actually progress as a nation. 

If this type of thinking justifies your thought process and allows you to put your head on your pillow and sleep at night - god bless ya.  There’s nothing I can say to change your mind. You’ll have to experience something in your life to change that. I truly hope it doesn’t have to come to that though. 

13 hours ago, timothy5151 said:

the quote from Sarah Tofte from this article, which is listed below, needs to be given a lot of weight when deciding on this definition.

every time a gun is discharged on school grounds it shatters the sense of safety for students, parents and the community."

Do you know what kills the most American teenagers by far? Automobile crashes.  "Every time an automobile crashes it shatters the sense of safety for students, parents and the community". Ban all automobiles? I got news for all the dingbats -- there is no safety. There are merely safety standards, and consequently there is often the illusion of safety. 

10 minutes ago, Walter said:

If this type of thinking justifies your thought process and allows you to put your head on your pillow and sleep at night - god bless ya.  There’s nothing I can say to change your mind. You’ll have to experience something in your life to change that. I truly hope it doesn’t have to come to that though. 

I experience something in my life every day, and that is I remain a free man with inalienable rights. It's certainly not something I'm ever willing to forfeit.   

14 hours ago, timothy5151 said:

Regardless of what the definition of school shooting is........ 1 school shooting is 1 too many!!!! Until the American society and its politicians accept this, then nothing will change in America!!! 

Couldn't agree more and looks like the FBI dropped the ball big time on this latest tragedy.  I guess they were too busy texting their Trump hate and investigating a fake dossier instead of doing what they should be doing - protecting innocent American lives.

Here's what made me unhappy today:

The three typical responses to mass shooting:

Politicians: "Thoughts and prayers."

Liberals: "Make guns illegal!"

Conservatives: "It's my RIGHT to have a gun!"

Not one of those things help! 

Come on America, I'm in the classroom WITH YOUR KIDS! I could use some back up, please.  What can we really do to reduce this kind of thing?  We simply can't round up all 300,000,000 firearms out there in the US.  I am pretty damn competent with firearms but I can only think of a few fellow teachers I'd trust to walk around with a piece. Plus that's not really my job (But, hey mission creep is the name of the game in public school teaching!  i signed up to teach science but I have to teach drug education, sex ed, anti tobacco/alcohol propaganda, make sure no one is bullied, that they have/use glasses, prevent/report suspected child abuse, make sure they have been fed, etc.!)

We've solved MAJOR challenges in the past: How to defeat Nazis, how to build a nuclear weapon, how to land on the moon, etc. Maybe it's time to harden the target.  Make schools as secure as gov't offices and corporate headquarters, locked campuses, armed guards, metal detectors?

Sloganeering has had ZERO effect on this problem and we can't just let this slide (again...)

Edited by chef free

On 2/16/2018 at 11:41 PM, SteveAJones said:

Do you know what kills the most American teenagers by far? Automobile crashes.  "Every time an automobile crashes it shatters the sense of safety for students, parents and the community". Ban all automobiles? I got news for all the dingbats -- there is no safety. There are merely safety standards, and consequently there is often the illusion of safety. 

Don't use automobiles crashes as a means to justify your argument.... it's lame. Unless kids are using cars to plow down other kids at schools... then there is no comparison! 

I live in Canada where we have drugs, broken families, mental illness, and guns too. But guess what, we do not have a lot of mass shootings. Why? We can't just go to the store and buy an automatic/semi-automatic  or get one for free when we sign up for a bank account or buy a new car, etc. Automatic/semi-automatic weapons are not easy to come by. Most readily available guns in Canada are used for hunting and mainly consists of single shot rifles. It isn't easy to plow down a bunch of people with a shotgun. People do not need automatic/semi-automatic weapons to hunt!

Other first world nations have the same social issues as the US but they have more gun control than the US? How does mass shootings in the US compare to where you are living Steve? ... I thought so!

People can spin it however they want... until gun-loving dingbats and dirty politicians change their ways, this will never change! 

• 3 weeks later...

Man! What a horrible week! I got to work with an overbearing boss who is so sneaky and underhanded. The man has zero scruples and principles. Then to top it all, I am in the line of fire with the client because of all the confusion caused by him! The icing on the cake was falling sick on Thursday because of food poisoning!

Thank goodness this awful work week is finally over. I hate working with sneaks and underhanded people!!!

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

Went skiing in the great white North this past week.  On the last day, and the last run, I had a bit of an equipment failure.  My entire left boot shattered as I was going down a steep hill.  I flew about 10 feet down the hill forward, spraining my left arm, and breaking a rib in the process.  First time I fell in about 15 years, and a heck of a way to break my streak.  I couldn't walk down the hill, because the plastic from the boot was cutting into my toes, so I got my first ride ever on the ski patrol snowmobile.  My buddy had just mentioned that if one of us fell hard at our age we might break a hip.  No hip....just a rib.  It hurts to laugh...but I still am !

20180316_125348.jpg

15 minutes ago, cryingbluerain said:

Surprised no one has mentioned this.  Designed to make students safer ironically.

fbcfca195b789f05706d9bd4d7441c2e

Apparently constructed in six hours according to The BBC news report here. I bet the "constructors" that were back slapping and hi-fiving at their success are a bit red faced now..

33 minutes ago, JTM said:

Apparently constructed in six hours according to The BBC news report here. I bet the "constructors" that were back slapping and hi-fiving at their success are a bit red faced now..

dont listen to the BBC it is full of shit most of the time. over here the BBC is about equal to a grocery store rag newspaper.

it was a terrible accident that happened but the local transportation dept approved allowing cars pass under before it was completed. I would blame the city for allowing that

Edited by kipper

1 hour ago, Bong-Man said:

Went skiing in the great white North this past week.  On the last day, and the last run, I had a bit of an equipment failure.  My entire left boot shattered as I was going down a steep hill.  I flew about 10 feet down the hill forward, spraining my left arm, and breaking a rib in the process.  First time I fell in about 15 years, and a heck of a way to break my streak.  I couldn't walk down the hill, because the plastic from the boot was cutting into my toes, so I got my first ride ever on the ski patrol snowmobile.  My buddy had just mentioned that if one of us fell hard at our age we might break a hip.  No hip....just a rib.  It hurts to laugh...but I still am !

20180316_125348.jpg

Sucks that you fell. But lucky it was just a sprain arm and broken rib and not a broken hip or noggin. Happy recovery to you!

• 2 weeks later...