The Firm Thread

Have never seen any video from this concert in circulation. MTV filmed their concert at the same venue the previous night, and it originally aired on Feb 23, 1985 as The Firm Live at Hammersmith Odeon. It was only 32 mins 30 secs

of interview and performance highlights. I have the complete (unreleased) MTV video footage. It runs about two hrs

and begins in the dressing with Ahmet Ertegun in a discussion with Jimmy. Ahmet mentions Eric Clapton expressed a favorable opinion, to which Jimmy seems genuinely pleased. Jimmy also explains to the camermen how he moves

about on stage and cautions them to stay clear. Roy Harper and David Gilmour attended both shows as guests of Jimmy's.

Wow! Can you burn me a copy? I used to work with Tony Franklin ages ago in a band called Blue Murder with John Sykes and Carmine Appice. Really great guy and great bass player!

Jason was on drums for the European leg of Paul Rodger's World Tour supporting the release of the album 'Muddy Waters Blues' (Aug-Oct 1993).

The video clips are from the Alter Wartesaal in Koln, Germany (Feb 3, 1994) as the complete was concert aired on WDR as Rock Life: Paul Rodgers and Company on June 10, 1994. That lineup is Paul Rodgers, Jason Bonham, Ian Hatton, Josh Spencer & Reese Caldwell.

Jason also backed Rodgers on drums for Woodstock '94 (Aug 14, 1994) and an album and video were released.

I saw Paul on that tour in a small club here in the U.S. and thought I was crazy not noticing Jason on drums. I did catch their set at Woodstock that year and it was very good. If I remember correctly, wasn't Neil Schon (sp?) of Journey on guitar for that show as well?

I saw Paul on that tour in a small club here in the U.S. and thought I was crazy not noticing Jason on drums. I did catch their set at Woodstock that year and it was very good. If I remember correctly, wasn't Neil Schon (sp?) of Journey on guitar for that show as well?

Yes, for the Woodstock gig Rodgers was joined by Jason on drums, Andy Fraser on bass, Slash and Neil Schon on guitar and performed The Paul Rodgers Rock and Blues Revue. So far as I know this was the only stateside gig featuring Jason.

Yes, for the Woodstock gig Rodgers was joined by Jason on drums, Andy Fraser on bass, Slash and Neil Schon on guitar and performed The Paul Rodgers Rock and Blues Revue. So far as I know this was the only stateside gig featuring Jason.

I had completely forgotten that Slash played with them as well. I will have to pull that tape out and watch the set again. If I remember correctly their set was on the same stage as Green Day, just after the legendary mud fight between the band and the crowd. I think one member of Green Day had his tooth broken by a security guard trying to restore order?! This is bringing back too many memories, I have to pull those tapes out and watch it again. Thanks Steve for your mind-jogging post! B)

Paul Rodgers is always great to see live, I wish I had caught he and Jimmy together....

Hello Firm Friends!

I know this has been posted on here a couple of times, but this version has great video and audio....enjoy :D

I wished they would collaborate again :thumbsup:

The Firm - Live In Peace (live)

Edited by Deborah J

Hello Firm Friends!

I know this has beeen posted on here a couple of times, but this version has great video and audio....enjoy biggrin.gif

I wished they would collaborate again thumbsup.gif

The Firm - Live In Peace (live)

Hi Deborah!

Live In Peace is my favorite Firm song- and this happens to be my all time favorite version of it. In '85 they released an extended version of Radioactive on a 12" single & this was one of 2 live songs on the back- outstanding!

Thanks for posting!

Hi Deborah!

Live In Peace is my favorite Firm song- and this happens to be my all time favorite version of it. In '85 they released an extended version of Radioactive on a 12" single & this was one of 2 live songs on the back- outstanding!

Thanks for posting!

Good Morning Stargroves Tangie! :coffee:

I can't wait for my DVD to arrive. I am sure I will wear it out :D

The Firm  Mecca Arena, Milwaukee, Wisconsin  March 7, 1985

19850307001O-Kim.jpg

Photo Credit: O-Kim.

The Firm  Civic Center, Springfield, Massachusetts, March 24, 1986

19860324001MikeM.jpg

Photo Credit: Mike M.

So he played the Paul on this tour. Man. I dreamed at night about the Paul in 1984, and thought Jimmy was done with blazing leads forever. To me, the brown tele represented weakness, remorseful sloppy solos with no mids or bottom tonality. I learned tp appreciate the B string bender vocabulary years after he stopped using it. Then I would listen to my 7" of "Together" when no roomates were around to catch me in my moment of sap. Back in the day I would have killed to see Page unleash the Paul. I bought every mag that carried a pic of Live-Aid Page w/Paul. 

So he played the Paul on this tour. Man. I dreamed at night about the Paul in 1984, and thought Jimmy was done with blazing leads forever. To me, the brown tele represented weakness, remorseful sloppy solos with no mids or bottom tonality. I learned tp appreciate the B string bender vocabulary years after he stopped using it. Then I would listen to my 7" of "Together" when no roomates were around to catch me in my moment of sap. Back in the day I would have killed to see Page unleash the Paul. I bought every mag that carried a pic of Live-Aid Page w/Paul.

Don't blame the Telecaster... Jimmy wasn't at his best during this period. I think he chose the Tele to get away from the Zeppelin sound and to try and forge a new sound with The Firm. On tour he played both Les Pauls, the Telecaster, the Lake Placid Blue Strat... he used this on Cadillac if memory serves, and he used the Danelectro on Midnight Moonlight. I believe he took the double-neck on the road but ultimately didn't use it.

He filmed the video for Radioactive w/ the twin-neck, but I don't recall him using it in concert w/ The Firm. If you want evidence of Page ripping it up on the brown Tele, check out the Live In Peace video a few posts up.

This also leads me to something I was going to ask Steve Jones... do you have a list of what guitar was used for each song on The Firm tours?

Here's the video of Radioactive w/ Page on the twin-neck. YouTube has this song live and he used the Brown Tele in concert.

http://www.80svideos.tv/play.php?vid=1079

Edited by Dr Death

This also leads me to something I was going to ask Steve Jones... do you have a list of what guitar was used for each song on The Firm tours?

Actually, I've been meaning to put one together for some time and should have something posted later this week. The

double-neck is iconic and he did mime with it for the Radioactive promo video, but he never performed with it onstage

with The Firm.

i thought page's sound was really good with the telecaster and as folks said, was part of the firm's sound. its interesting to listen to the firm today and hear how they were attempting to be commercial at that time, yet make really good records with their own sound. they were good at combining simplicity with substance, something page did on the outrider record too.

Good Morning Stargroves Tangie! coffee.gif

I can't wait for my DVD to arrive. I am sure I will wear it out biggrin.gif

You mean the Joining Forces DVD ? (and thanks again to aen for telling us about it thumbsup.gif ) I got mine last week - hopefully yours will arrive soon!

There's a lot of great stuff on there, and I love the clip in the beginning (where it gives you the choice of playing the show or the extras)- it's behind the scenes footage of Jimmy getting ready to do the take of his solo from the "Live In Peace" video shoot... Pure Pagette heaven faint1.gif

You mean the Joining Forces DVD ? (and thanks again to aen for telling us about it thumbsup.gif ) I got mine last week - hopefully yours will arrive soon!

There's a lot of great stuff on there, and I love the clip in the beginning (where it gives you the choice of playing the show or the extras)- it's behind the scenes footage of Jimmy getting ready to do the take of his solo from the "Live In Peace" video shoot... Pure Pagette heaven faint1.gif

Yes :D I can't wait, I am checking the mail again tomorrow (it's over 2 miles to get to our mailbox facility where I live and with the snow I have not been able to check since Monday...killing me..Cannot wait!!!!!!!!

This thread is for all things related to The Firm....because I checked back pretty far, and we don't really have one.....and they deserve it !

I just got done listening to some Firm shows. I was blown away by how tight this band was by 1986. Jimmy's playing is far better than most people give him credit for. Even the fretless Bass now sounds good ! The lame studio songs like "Cadillac" and "You've Lost That Lovin Feelin" seem to come alive on stage.

While listening to some of their shows, I couldn't help but think that Rodgers and Page didn't get enough credit at the time for the chances that were taken with this band. The shadow of Zeppelin and even Bad Co. would loom large over anything either tried at this point of their careers, yet this band really didn't attempt to copy either. That in itself was no small accomplishment. With both having a vast back catalog to rely on, Rodgers and Page relied only on the present. The mid-80's were also not the best time for a new veteran hard rock band to get on the map. In fact, the aging dinosaur cracks from the press began before anyone even heard a tune.

I remember finding "Mean Business" in the cut-out bin at the local music store for $1.99...about a year after it's release. I already owned it, but it pissed me off so bad that I bought another two copies on vinyl.

So maybe you hate the fretless Bass sound....Jimmy's B Bender.....the lack of improv.....but I think The Firm as a whole is wearing quite well these days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhImk5QPA8s...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS0Nu2NBRpM...feature=related

I'm glad you could enjoy the firm.I saw them 5 times,2 times very close,and jimmy barely moved any of the times.I liked jimmys guitar sound,but it was so skeletal compared to zep.I actually thought jimmy played better at the US arms shows.at least jimmy had some of the old showmanship.....

^^i bought both firm records in the cut out bargain bin, in the 80s. looking back, i think they competed well against all the synths and electronics going on with music at that time. they took what basically sounds like a jug band inspired -radioactive and turned it into a hit single. they were well balanced records, intricate/well made opening songs, closer/fortune hunter, some lower key simpler stuff, where they were just having fun playing those songs. the bigger songs, midnight moonlight, live in peace and spirit of love, are really good rock listening experiences, loud volume with the backup singers. that band worked well together.