Zep and the Beatles

• 5 years later...

Led Zeppelin and the Beatles were the greatest bands in history. IMO. The Who were operating at a lower level.

I agree, these 2 bands were on a different level than all of their contemporaries. Particularly the Beatles with their songwriting and studio experimentation and obviously Zeppelins live performances were out of this world.

Jimmy Page may be guitarist on 'Train Music'

http://www.examiner.com/article/beatles-news-jimmy-page-may-be-guitarist-on-train-music-wings-mini-reunion

(1:03-1:09)

Here's a longer portion of it:

It's not the complete answer, but Matt Hurwitz's Studio Daily article on the recent restoration of “A Hard Day's Night” for the recent Criterion Collection release published Aug. 11 does have some first-time specifics on who's behind the “Train Music” song in the film. And one of the players may well be session player James Page, aka guitarist Jimmy Page.

Giles Martin, son of Sir George Martin, has been saying it wasn't his belief that the group was the Beatles.“My instinct says it’s not The Beatles, but more likely the session players my dad would have gotten in for the soundtrack recording,” the article quotes him. Prolific studio guitarist Vic Flick, who was suspected of being on it, tells Hurwitz he also isn't.

But drummer Clem Cattini, once of the Tornadoes, says he is, and likely so is bass player Alan Weighell. But even more significant is that Cattini says Page may also be, though Hurwitz said in a phone interview Page himself has not confirmed it but is being contacted about the track. Both Cattini and Weighell had regular jobs as session players for Martin.

"It was interesting how these musicians could quickly identify each other's playing, and quite easily," Hurwitz tells Beatles Examiner. "Vic Flick could tell immediately that, though he plays on 'This Boy' on the soundtrack album, he was not on the 'train music' cue. And bass player Herbie Flowers, who later went on to record for George, upon hearing the cue, said, 'That's Clem. And that sounds like Big Jim Sullivan and Jimmy Page playing the guitars,' which Cattini also said. They worked with each other for so many years, on so many sessions, they can hear not only their own playing, but that of their colleagues."

The track is indeed driven by Cattini and likely Weighell, the drummer tells StudioDaily. “That’s definitely me," Cattini says. "The guitars, I think, were ‘Big Jim’ Sullivan and Jimmy Page. They did a lot of the rock stuff together in those days, particularly on these kinds of sessions.” - See more at: http://www.studiodaily.com/2014/08/beatlemania-in-black-white-restoring-a-hard-days-night-in-4k/#sthash.9pJUvorG.dpuf

I grew up listening to the Beatles 'as well as other music' thanks to my mum playing them constantly in the background as a young child.

She didnt get into Zepp though so my musician friend was the one who introduced me to Zepp. Can't thank him enough for that.

Two wonderful bands.

I grew up listening to the Beatles 'as well as other music' thanks to my mum playing them constantly in the background as a young child.

She didnt get into Zepp though so my musician friend was the one who introduced me to Zepp. Can't thank him enough for that.

Two wonderful bands.

:gimmefive:

Just found this pic, Jimmy wearing a 'Beatles Fan' button!

21kcd91.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

2 great bands but have nothing in common to my ears.

The Beatles were for the most part based around the theme of love, and it was always done around the notion of backing vocals and or vocal harmonies with songs that were tight and short at least, I think that is the case. The Beatles music struck me as being very traditionally structured.

Whereas Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones coming from a studio session for hire background, seemed to rebel around that traditional idea of structure when they formed Led Zeppelin and they became the master of theme and vibe and all sorts of emotions and of course Led Zeppelin never paid attention to the idea of backing vocals or vocal harmonies for the most part.

And the live gigs were examples of what I'm describing when listening to both bands

Archived