Progressive Rock

zosodude13

There have threads about different, specific bands and I just figured there should be one for the genre itself. This is for all discussions about all bands and all "attempts" at progressive rock/art rock/fusion. I guess talk about your favorites, recommendations. Even for those who dislike the genre, I would love to hear you as well. We can even go into the Rock and Roll HOF's hate for Prog........ <_<

Let get started.... in 21/8 time! :P

I'm not sure if Pink Floyd would be described as "progressive rock" but haven't they already been inducted into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame?

As for prog rock itself, I've never been a huge fan but I do love me some Rush. I also like Yes and Jethro Tull and need to expand my collection to include more of their work.

I like progressive rock quite a bit.

check out the awesome Italian prog rock scene from the 1970s

Here's some bands to start out with...most of these bands' records are out of print and very expensive on CD

Banco del Mutuo Soccorso

Goblin

Le Orme

Quella Vecchia Locanda

There's dozens and dozens more where that came from, those are just the ones I know right now. Goblin did the soundtracks for a bunch of Italian horror flicks, you may have heard of Dario Argento before?

Edited by Jarlaxle 56

I'm not sure if Pink Floyd would be described as "progressive rock" but haven't they already been inducted into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame?

As for prog rock itself, I've never been a huge fan but I do love me some Rush. I also like Yes and Jethro Tull and need to expand my collection to include more of their work.

Hi Jahfin,

I saw a recent programme about "Prog Rock" and it stated that the idea of "Prog Rock" was to omit any "Blues" influential music as it was to easy to get people hooked on it, and too easy too play, that's probably why i havent got to like it as much as True "Blues Rock". "Prog Rock" is too manufactured, so it appears to be too "Inteligent"and "Sophisticated" for my taste and it lacks the "Soulfull" quality of "Blues Rock". Its far too "English Middle Class" for my liking as well.

Regards, Danny

I would call Pink Floyd a Prog band, and I agree they are the exception to the RNRHOF rule. But you look at a Prog band and their criteria is almost the same as a band in the RNRHOF. From what I have read, a combination of influence and success is the key to the RNR, unless your influence is so great, you don't need success.

Genesis (produced 2 huge solo acts and had mainstream success; ie The Yardbirds)

Yes (had mainstream success before they "sold out" in the 80's and had even more success)

King Crimson (the original prog rock band, hugely influential even without mainstream success; ie The Velvet Underground).

ELP (the ultimate prog supergroup, not very influential, but the collection of names is enough to get them in; ie CSN & sometimes Y)

Even a band like Procol Harum, who had a well respected artist in Robin Trower and a HUGE hit in "A Whiter Shade of Pale" are not in (ie Traffic and the Righteous Brothers )

Rush would be like AC/DC, a band that didn't really do anything spectacular but had influence and consistent success.

Edited by zosodude13

Utter BS my man

This lacks soul?

I said that the Programme stated it, i think it was a member of "Yes" that actually said it, not me.

The link, King Crimson, sound's very much like all the Prog Rock bands that i saw in the 70s, Genesis, Yes, Jethro Tull, ELP, i like them but only Pink Floyd really do it for me.

As i said before it was manufactured for an "Audiance of Inteligent Hippies" who thought that the "Blues" were beneth them and not worthy of adulation, dont forget i lived through all this music and i can tell you from my own experiance that fans of "Prog Rock" turned their nose's up at groups like Led Zeppelin, that's why Led Zeppelin didnt go down too well in their own country of England, there was too much Middle Class Bullshit going on in the Schools and Universities to accomodate them and True Blues Players like Page, Green, Clapton and Beck were sidelined in my opinion.

It took Americia with its acceptance of diversity and true gutwrenching talent to make Led Zeppelin Great.

If you're asking me if "Prog Rock" lacks "Soul" then if i'm honest i would have to say "Yes", no pun intended. I didnt say it has no "Soul" that's a "Big Legged Woman". It just has less than "Blues Rock". Blues based Rock beats it hands down every time in my honest opinion.

Have a look.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_rock

Regards, Danny

Rush would be like AC/DC, a band that didn't really do anything spectacular but had influence and consistent success.

"Rush" Thats the only thing i would disagree with you about, Rush did many "Spectacular" songs from their first album "Rush" in 1974 to "Moving Pictures" in 1981, after that i have trouble distinguishing one album from another, but a real favourite of mine.

Regards, Danny

"Rush" Thats the only thing i would disagree with you about, Rush did many "Spectacular" songs from their first album "Rush" in 1974 to "Moving Pictures" in 1981, after that i have trouble distinguishing one album from another, but a real favourite of mine.

Regards, Danny

When I said Rush didn't doing anything spectacular, I didn't mean they did anything bad. But you put them against the other Rock bands, they had hits, just not earth shattering hits, pretty much like AC/DC.

When I said Rush didn't doing anything spectacular, I didn't mean they did anything bad. But you put them against the other Rock bands, they had hits, just not earth shattering hits, pretty much like AC/DC.

Are you kidding me, By-Tor and the Snow Dog, 2112, Xanadu, are all songs that i would rank alongside anyone else for being termed "Spectacular", much more so than anything AC/DC did. And you dont need hits, just good songs. IMHO.

Regards, Danny

Are you kidding me, By-Tor and the Snow Dog, 2112, Xanadu, are all songs that i would rank alongside anyone else for being termed "Spectacular", much more so than anything AC/DC did. And you dont need hits, just good songs. IMHO.

Regards, Danny

Hey! What's up "BIGDAN" the fellow Englishman? Ha Ha! What do you think of the goodies that I sent you? I'm just dying to hear ya mate! ROCK ON!

Regards, Danny

I agree, and I should have used 'good songs' rather then 'hits'. It's a grammar error on my part.

If I had to rank the chances of a prog band going the RNRHOF......

1. Rush

2. Yes

3. Genesis

4. King Crimson

5. The Moody Blues

wild card: ELP

in terms of who deserves to go in...

1. King Crimson

2. Genesis

3. Yes

4. Rush

5. ELP

wild card: Procol Harum

I agree, and I should have used 'good songs' rather then 'hits'. It's a grammar error on my part.

1. Rush

2. Yes

3. Genesis

4. King Crimson

5. The Moody Blues

1. King Crimson

2. Genesis

3. Yes

4. Rush

5. ELP

Hello 'zosodude13', you're very sweet, and no error on your part.

Hell i'de put them all in, every one of those bands is an Institution in itself in my book.

If i didnt make myself clear before, i am a great fan of Prog Rock, not as big as my younger brother Tim, but then he always thought he was way more inteligent than me, and not as Great a Fan of Led Zeppelin and Blues Rock as i was, and still am.

Regards, Danny

Hello 'zosodude13', you're very sweet, and no error on your part.

Hell i'de put them all in, every one of those bands is an Institution in itself in my book.

If i didnt make myself clear before, i am a great fan of Prog Rock, not as big as my younger brother Tim, but then he always thought he was way more inteligent than me, and not as Great a Fan of Led Zeppelin and Blues Rock as i was, and still am.

Regards, Danny

This ones for you "BIGDAN!" LED ZEPPELIN & PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC RULES! "BIGDAN," PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC (1967-1970) is the ONLY band that I would even dare to compare to early LED ZEPPELIN! Now lets go and chase some women here on the Forum! Ha Ha! A QUICK EDIT! What did you think of the FLEETWOOD MAC LIVE AT THE BOSTON TEA PARTY PARTS 1, 2 & 3? ROCK ON!

Edited by ZeppFanForever

This ones for you "BIGDAN!" LED ZEPPELIN & PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC RULES! "BIGDAN," PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC (1967-1970) is the ONLY band that I would even dare to compare to early LED ZEPPELIN! Now lets go and chase some women here on the Forum! Ha Ha! A QUICK EDIT! What did you think of the FLEETWOOD MAC LIVE AT THE BOSTON TEA PARTY PARTS 1, 2 & 3? ROCK ON!

I would have loved to have been there, awsome blues guitar playing, reminds me of a young Rory Gallagher who i had the pleasure to see real close up at The Venue In London, circa 1980ish.

Regards, Danny

Edited by BIGDAN

1. Rush

2. Yes

3. Genesis

4. King Crimson

5. The Moody Blues

1. King Crimson

2. Genesis

3. Yes

4. Rush

5. ELP

Not sure if I think they all belong in the HoF but I'm a big fan of King Crimson and early Genesis. I like some prog rock but I'm a bit more picky about it.

I would have loved to have been there, awsome blues guitar playing, reminds me of a young Rory Gallagher who i had the pleasure to see real close up at The Venue In London, circa 1980ish.

Regards, Danny

What's up Danny? I am very familiar with RORY GALLAGHER'S music and I think that his music is out of this world! Come to think of it, there are similarities in Peter Green's and Rory Gallagher's guitar styles or should I say that Rory Gallagher copied a lot of Peter Green's guitar style. You can honestly say that Mick Taylor, David Gilmour, Carlos Santana and Rory Gallagher copied a lot of Peter Green's trademark guitar style which is great because the legend of PETER GREEN LIVES! ROCK ON!

Edited by ZeppFanForever

Not sure if I think they all belong in the HoF but I'm a big fan of King Crimson and early Genesis. I like some prog rock but I'm a bit more picky about it.

I'm not sure if you've heard of them, but Gentle Giant is a prog band along the lines of King Crimson and early Genesis. They're actually a combination of both, in a way. Check them out if you can.

I'm not sure if you've heard of them, but Gentle Giant is a prog band along the lines of King Crimson and early Genesis. They're actually a combination of both, in a way. Check them out if you can.

I've heard of Gentle Giant and keep meaning to check them out but I haven't done so yet.

What's up Danny? I am very familiar with RORY GALLAGHER'S music and I think that his music is out of this world! Come to think of it, there are similarities in Peter Green's and Rory Gallagher's guitar styles or should I say that Rory Gallagher copied a lot of Peter Green's guitar style. You can honestly say that Mick Taylor, David Gilmour, Carlos Santana and Rory Gallagher copied a lot of Peter Green's trademark guitar style which is great because the legend of PETER GREEN LIVES! ROCK ON!

HI ZFF,

Yes you can say that about Rory and all the reat, i'm not in the slightest offended, neither would any of those guys you mentioned because they can all trace their style back through Peter Green, across the Lake to America's South, The Blues, then on back through Black and White Gosple Music to Africia and England, right back to where it all began.

Remember Gallows Pole, now that song certainly did the rounds, England to Americia then back to England and it picked up a few other bits and pieces on the way.

Regards, Danny

HI ZFF,

Yes you can say that about Rory and all the reat, i'm not in the slightest offended, neither would any of those guys you mentioned because they can all trace their style back through Peter Green, across the Lake to America's South, The Blues, then on back through Black and White Gosple Music to Africia and England, right back to where it all began.

Remember Gallows Pole, now that song certainly did the rounds, England to Americia then back to England and it picked up a few other bits and pieces on the way.

Regards, Danny

WOW Danny, all of this talk on the Blues makes me want to listen to the KING OF THE DELTA BLUES HIMSELF, ROBERT JOHNSON! ROCK ON!

I don't get this talk of comparing blues to progressive rock.

Jazz, as an art form provides more inspiration, in my informed opinion, for 90% of progressive rock bands.

I see Jazz Fusion inspired rock more as a progression from late Miles Davis than any snobbish racism aimed at blues and blues fusion groups, such as Led Zeppelin.

You only have to look at The Mahavishnu Orchestra for proof that Jazz influences "progressive" music.

Also, check out these Swedish prog rock bands from the 90s, they take inspiration from bands like Yes and King Crimson.

Änglagård

Anekdoten

Yeah the names are similar, maybe because the bands are similar.

Edited by Jarlaxle 56

I don't get this talk of comparing blues to progressive rock.

Jazz, as an art form provides more inspiration, in my informed opinion, for 90% of progressive rock bands.

I see Jazz Fusion inspired rock more as a progression from late Miles Davis than any snobbish racism aimed at blues and blues fusion groups, such as Led Zeppelin.

You only have to look at The Mahavishnu Orchestra for proof that Jazz influences "progressive" music.

Also, check out these Swedish prog rock bands from the 90s, they take inspiration from bands like Yes and King Crimson.

Änglagård

Anekdoten

Yeah the names are similar, maybe because the bands are similar.

All of your jazz fusion artists (Miles Davis, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Weather Report, Traffic, Chicago......) all contributed to the development of rock. As much as blues and 'simple' punk rock did.

I have a punk rock album as my avatar and a tribute to a prog band in my signature. both shaped rock as much as the other.