Heart - Barracuda

tom kid

Was listening to this song just before. Who else thinks it has a huge ALS influence in it?

Never thought of that, but totally see what you are talking about. Heart are huge Zep fans, so maybe they were influenced.

I stated this several months ago. You Tube the Amboy Dukes playing "Journey To The Center Of The Mind." Here you will see a black and white video featuring a young Ted Nugent. The groove on this song makes Barracuda seem like it's played in slow motion. A definite correlation between the two songs. More so to me than Achilles. Give young Ted a look.

Was listening to this song just before. Who else thinks it has a huge ALS influence in it?

I agree with the other posters here about the tune ... but according to one of the Most Accurate (he says in a VERY SARCASTIC WAY) Biographers of Led Zeppelin, the honorable Mr. Stephen Davis write in Hammer of the Gods that Peter Grant called Barracuda the best Zeppelin song "they never recorded?"

The Heart song referenced is actually called, "Dream of the Archer". The mandolin parts were played by Nancy Wilson and Howard Leese. Well...at least live in concert. I'm not sure of the studio recording but I'd bet a nickle it was Nancy and Howard.

As for the Barracuda reference, Ann Wilson was on a radio show one night reviewing that particular album and was asked who came up with that particular riff. She replied "Nancy". Nancy's number one influence is Jimmy Page. On their recent tour (July, 2009) in Albuquerque, Nancy plays the Orange amps (What JP uses) and atop of her amp on stage was a plastic doll of Jimmy Page similar to this one:

jimmypage.jpg

DT

I definitely see the similarities in the galloping riff/bass line

The Wilson's are obviously HUGE Zep freaks; In ever Heart documentary/special I've ever watched, they both repeatedly mention how much they love & are influenced by Zeppelin. Ann said they really love the way Zep could be acoustic one minute & totally hard rock the next, which is why Heart also has quite a few wicked acoustic numbers.

As has been said, Ann and Nancy Wilson are big fans of Zeppelin. I've been to three Heart concerts and they've played at least one Zeppelin cover at each. The last concert I went to earlier this year, they played "Immigrant Song" and "Going to California". Also, they selected three songs to be played over the PA system before they went on stage..."Another Brick In the Wall", "For the Benefit of Mr. Kite", and "Whole Lotta Love".

"Barracuda" is obviously heavily influenced by "Achilles Last Stand".

By the way, Heart still sounds great in concert. At the last Heart show I was at, Ann Wilson gave what is almost unquestionably the best vocal performance I've heard in person and I've been to quite a few concerts.

Here's a clip from a show last year:

Watch around the 2:20 mark.

As has been said, Ann and Nancy Wilson are big fans of Zeppelin. I've been to three Heart concerts and they've played at least one Zeppelin cover at each. The last concert I went to earlier this year, they played "Immigrant Song" and "Going to California". Also, they selected three songs to be played over the PA system before they went on stage..."Another Brick In the Wall", "For the Benefit of Mr. Kite", and "Whole Lotta Love".

"Barracuda" is obviously heavily influenced by "Achilles Last Stand".

By the way, Heart still sounds great in concert. At the last Heart show I was at, Ann Wilson gave what is almost unquestionably the best vocal performance I've heard in person and I've been to quite a few concerts.

Here's a clip from a show last year:

Watch around the 2:20 mark.

Heart Alone 2008

She still has a lot of strength in her voice there at the 2:20 mark.

Thank you for posting this link.

Ann Wilson stated matter of factly in the liner notes of one of their greatest hits albums that Barracuda was without question a take on Achilles. No shame, no hiding it. "Little Zeppelin" was paying tribute proudly! :beer:

Ann Wilson stated matter of factly in the liner notes of one of their greatest hits albums that Barracuda was without question a take on Achilles. No shame, no hiding it. "Little Zeppelin" was paying tribute proudly! :beer:

No escaping their roots,eh? ;)

I've always admired them,they've got balls! And they can "Kick it out!" :D

BTW, has anyone noticed a few female artists have done the phony encore thing with "Rock And Roll"? Besides Heart, there's been Sheryl Crow and Stevie Nicks.

Not exactly sure what you mean by "phony encore" but I recently heard Stevie Nicks' cover of Rock n' Roll when she was on Soundstage. Atrocious doesn't even begin to describe it. I also never cared for Sheryl Crow's version of D'yer Mak'er.

• 2 weeks later...

Attended the Heart concert last night. I am not one to attend concerts at the State Fair but did for this one. It was great. Bangles was the opening act and they were ok. I am not a big fan of them but they did sound pretty much like they did on their hits they sung.

Ann Wilson's voice is better than ever! I saw Heart back in the 80's and I think they were better last night in 2009 than in the 80's. They sang a couple Led Zep songs and Who song. The whole crowd was really rocking with them. It was great and I really enjoyed it and my Mom did too! She wanted to go so I bought her ticket and took her for her 75th birthday!

Here is a review from the local paper:

http://www.sj-r.com/entertainment/x1373197806/Review-Heart-pounds-through-set-strong-as-it-ever-was

I kicked myself for not bringing my camera as I had great seats. Oh well. The seats in the grandstand were actually vibrating the whole time Heart played! It was loud and it rocked!

Here are a couple links from Youtube some people posted that also attended:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtC-SMqzgBk

There's definitely a coincidence between the two songs, at least to my ears. I think it was on the very first incarnation of this board (back when I first joined in 2004) where someone brought it up and when I listened to both songs I was like......okay yeah, I see it.

Heart is a great band. But i dont hear the ALS in Barracuda.

It is true though they were like the feamle Led Zep.

As I posted awhile back in this thread, Ann Wilson has stated emphatically and with much pride that Barracuda was a completely intentional take on ALS. It's written right in the liner notes of their greatest hits cd. ;)

Archived