FOR WOMEN ONLY

slave to zep

as for hypothyroidism ...... make sure your dr is prescribing enough thyroxine. you shouldnt have to feel fatigued all the time. when i first started taking it, i was on too low a dose, and i stacked on the weight. your thyroid gland controls metabolism and body temp, so get the levels checked regularly.

Thanks for the advice, slave to zep! I get my blood tested in about a month, so I'll know if I'm taking the right amount of medicine. My doc said it takes about three months for the thyroid to get back to normal. I read on WebMD that some people have to take medicine the rest of their lives. I hope I don't have to do that, but if it will help my fatigue I'll try anything! :)

Thanks for the advice, slave to zep! I get my blood tested in about a month, so I'll know if I'm taking the right amount of medicine. My doc said it takes about three months for the thyroid to get back to normal. I read on WebMD that some people have to take medicine the rest of their lives. I hope I don't have to do that, but if it will help my fatigue I'll try anything! :)

you're welcome.

i am one of the ones who have to take it till the day i die. i had thyroid cancer and had the entire gland removed, and the area treated with radioactive iodine. that's why i know about getting the levels right. the thyroxine takes a few weeks to build up to the right level in the body. if you have to go off it for any reason ( like i used to have to for treatments and scans ) it also takes a few weeks to leave the body. you may well have to take it forever, but hey, it's only one little pill a day, it's not so bad.

good luck!

you're welcome.

i am one of the ones who have to take it till the day i die. i had thyroid cancer and had the entire gland removed, and the area treated with radioactive iodine. that's why i know about getting the levels right. the thyroxine takes a few weeks to build up to the right level in the body. if you have to go off it for any reason ( like i used to have to for treatments and scans ) it also takes a few weeks to leave the body. you may well have to take it forever, but hey, it's only one little pill a day, it's not so bad.

good luck!

:o I didn't know that :(:console: So happy you are well now xxxx

There's been some studies that show soy products can increase your chances. If you eat soy, better to have it fermented - tempeh and seitan are good examples. I've spoken to nutritionists on this as I eat soy as well - they said a serving a day isn't excessive and you should be fine.

:veryhot: Whew! I was about to get worried...

I'm vegetarian, so I eat quite a bit of soy products, plus I have a family history of breast cancer. My great-Grandmother had a double mastectomy but still died of cancer. Two of my aunts, my grandmother, & my mother have also had problems.

But, I guess I'm ok as far as the soy stuff goes

:veryhot: Whew! I was about to get worried...

I'm vegetarian, so I eat quite a bit of soy products, plus I have a family history of breast cancer. My great-Grandmother had a double mastectomy but still died of cancer. Two of my aunts, my grandmother, & my mother have also had problems.

But, I guess I'm ok as far as the soy stuff goes

Soy has a lot of positive benefits but try not to make it your primary source of protein. I don't know if you eat fish or not but if you're vegan, look to fermented soy - seitan, tempeh, beans, peanut butter, nuts, quinoa and amaranth.

you're welcome.

good luck!

Thanks, slave to zep! I'm sorry to hear that you had thyroid cancer. :( I hope all is well with you now. :console: And you're right, one pill a day is a little price to pay for feeling better. :)

Yep. In my family, breast cancer runs on my mom's side of the family. My aunt died from it when she was 39, and my other aunt was diagnosed when she was 42 (thankfully she's still here). My grandma also had it about ten years ago (and thankfully she's still here too). But I'm afraid for my mom and myself. If we don't get it, it will be a miracle! I'm still pretty young (23) but I worry for my mom, my aunt, and my grandma.

As far as myself, I've been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. And I've struggled with anemia also. Does anyone have any tips for dealing with hypothyroidism? Any info would be greatly appreciated! I've researched it a little already. It makes you really fatigued. (No wonder I've been sleeping so much lately!! ;) )

Great thread, by the way!

Good advice from slave to zep on Hypothyroidism. Very common, especially in women. If you haven't had a visit to an Endocrinologist (as opposed to a General Practicioner) i would suggest you find a good one.

As for the family history of cancer, have you had Genetic testing done? Very important in your situation.

Here's a link:

http://www.cancer.net/patient/Learning+Abo...ith+Your+Family

Good advice from slave to zep on Hypothyroidism. Very common, especially in women. If you haven't had a visit to an Endocrinologist (as opposed to a General Practicioner) i would suggest you find a good one.

As for the family history of cancer, have you had Genetic testing done? Very important in your situation.

Here's a link:

http://www.cancer.net/patient/Learning+Abo...ith+Your+Family

Thanks for the PM, ~tangerine~. I sent you a reply. As far as the endocrinologist, I'll wait and see what the results of my blood test are and see what my doc says. :)

Thanks, slave to zep! I'm sorry to hear that you had thyroid cancer. :( I hope all is well with you now. :console: And you're right, one pill a day is a little price to pay for feeling better. :)

yes, the pills are small, it's really not a problem for me. i would agree with tangerine about seeing an endocinologist too. GPs don't really know that much about all this, but wait till you get the blood results. good luck!

Thanks! :)

you're so welcome. :)

now, to start another topic .......

what do all you lovely ladies think about skin care? i have always just used mild soap and water, with an exfoliating glove to cleanse, and oil of olay for moisturising. now, i know you are supposed to NEVER use soap, but i must admit, i don't have a lot of wrinkles for my age ( tho not ever being a smoker has a LOT to do with it ), so it can't be too bad, and it's easy on the pocket too!

what are your favourite products?

what do all you lovely ladies think about skin care? i have always just used mild soap and water, with an exfoliating glove to cleanse, and oil of olay for moisturising. now, i know you are supposed to NEVER use soap, but i must admit, i don't have a lot of wrinkles for my age ( tho not ever being a smoker has a LOT to do with it ), so it can't be too bad, and it's easy on the pocket too!

I don't use soap either - too drying. I use a mild cleanser that I've used for years and has worked really well. I know a lot of people swear by Oil of Olay - I use Mario Bedescu and I'm pretty pleased with it. It's not expensive either and lasts forever.

Right now I use a mineral formula that I got when I bought bareminerals. I really like it because it doens't dry my skin out. For moistureizer I just use some face lotion that I found lying around the hous. I don't remember what it's called.

I use Aveeno Daily Moisturizer (has an spf 15) and Clinique little cleansing soaps.

I use L'Oreal moisturiser and L'Oreal night cream. And I NEVER go to the beach without wearing sun block.

That's pretty much everything.

I wash my face with plain Dove bar soap once a day (that's what my dermatologist recommended). So far it hasn't dried out my face (I've used it for a couple years), but unfortunately I'm still battling my acne. :angry: (Darn stubborn acne!!)

I wash my face with plain Dove bar soap once a day (that's what my dermatologist recommended). So far it hasn't dried out my face (I've used it for a couple years), but unfortunately I'm still battling my acne. :angry: (Darn stubborn acne!!)

dove is great, i use that sometimes. oh you poor thing, acne! both my kids had it quite bad and went to a dermatologist. they were both put on the same drug ( cant remember the name ) it's quite strong, but they had no side effects, and it cleared it up well.

Back when I had the money to blow on such things, I used Estee Lauder's skincare line.

Now, I use Neutrogena's foaming face wash, as seen here.

I like it because it gets my makeup off my face! Many other facial washes don't get the mascara off, and you have to use a second product to do so.

I also use this when my skin needs moisturizer.

I like it a lot.

I also have breakouts still, but that's just part of my skin. I used to have acne so bad that I actually had a teacher ask me if I "had the chicken pox or something," and a dermatologist prescribed Accutane to me once I was old enough to make my own medical decisions. My skin was so bad that I had welts that turned purple and brown on my face when I was younger, so a few pimples are a bit annoying to me, but I have to remember how bad my skin once was. ;)

Back when I had the money to blow on such things, I used Estee Lauder's skincare line.

Now, I use Neutrogena's foaming face wash, as seen here.

I like it because it gets my makeup off my face! Many other facial washes don't get the mascara off, and you have to use a second product to do so.

I also use this when my skin needs moisturizer.

I like it a lot.

I also have breakouts still, but that's just part of my skin. I used to have acne so bad that I actually had a teacher ask me if I "had the chicken pox or something," and a dermatologist prescribed Accutane to me once I was old enough to make my own medical decisions. My skin was so bad that I had welts that turned purple and brown on my face when I was younger, so a few pimples are a bit annoying to me, but I have to remember how bad my skin once was. ;)

hi manders!

yes, that's it, roaccutane ( that's what it's called here ). it worked wonders for my kids.

so funny you mention about estee lauder, i used all their stuff back in the 70s, pre kids. it's just too expensive for me these days.

sorry you had such a hard time with your skin, i guess a few pimples now and then seem like nothing. glad you were able to get the relief. xo