FOR WOMEN ONLY

slave to zep

i havent heard of some of those, though i do know clinique and loreal of course. they are both popular here in oz. has anyone tried those mineral foundation powders? i use max factor foundation, a creme, as i thought powder would be too drying...

Mario Bedescu is online :) I really like their products. I've had great success with them.

dove is great, i use that sometimes. oh you poor thing, acne! both my kids had it quite bad and went to a dermatologist. they were both put on the same drug ( cant remember the name ) it's quite strong, but they had no side effects, and it cleared it up well.

My dermatologist put me on antibiotics. I've tried them twice in the last two years, and after I completed them, my acne came back six months later. It's very annoying!! I guess I'll have to go back sometime soon and ask about the Accutane.

I also have breakouts still, but that's just part of my skin. I used to have acne so bad that I actually had a teacher ask me if I "had the chicken pox or something," and a dermatologist prescribed Accutane to me once I was old enough to make my own medical decisions. My skin was so bad that I had welts that turned purple and brown on my face when I was younger, so a few pimples are a bit annoying to me, but I have to remember how bad my skin once was. ;)

Your acne sounds like it was really severe. I'm glad it's better now. :) I feel your pain!!

I wouldn't think about Accutane unless your skin is really bad.

Honestly, my skin was disgustingly bad--once I started Accutane, people who had known me for years noticed a HUGE difference right away.

My doctor took blood samples every month to monitor my kidney function and other organs' health. I also believe I had to sign a waiver/contract saying that if I were to become pregnant while on it, I agreed to have an abortion.

I was 20 at the time, so that was a pretty freaky thing to have to think about. I avoided sex the entire time I was on it so I wouldn't ever have to think about whether I could follow through with said action if I were to become pregnant.

I wouldn't think about Accutane unless your skin is really bad.

Honestly, my skin was disgustingly bad--once I started Accutane, people who had known me for years noticed a HUGE difference right away.

My doctor took blood samples every month to monitor my kidney function and other organs' health. I also believe I had to sign a waiver/contract saying that if I were to become pregnant while on it, I agreed to have an abortion.

I was 20 at the time, so that was a pretty freaky thing to have to think about. I avoided sex the entire time I was on it so I wouldn't ever have to think about whether I could follow through with said action if I were to become pregnant.

It is pretty bad. I've battled it since I was 12 and I'm 23 now! I always thought it would just go away when I got older but that didn't happen. It takes a huge toll on my self-esteem.

I know Accutane can cause birth defects, but I didn't know you had to sign something about having an abortion if you became pregnant while using it. :o That's scary.

No, I'm not talking about both.

Accutane has a HUGE risk of birth defects if you become pregnant while the drug is in your system. I'm talking about babies born brain dead and other major, major stuff. I had to sign an affidavit that I was on the pill before the doctor would write me a prescription for Accutane. THEN I also had to sign an affidavit that I would do my best to prevent becoming pregnant, even using two forms of birth control while on Accutane. There was literally a silhouette of a pregnant lady and a red cross-out "NO" sign on the blister pack FOR EACH PILL!

144220937_f9c146503d_m.jpg

accutane2.jpg

My old roommate thought that was hilarious and she taped a few of them to our bathroom mirror.

Edited by manderlyh

No, I'm not talking about both.

Accutane has a HUGE risk of birth defects if you become pregnant while the drug is in your system. I'm talking about babies born brain dead and other major, major stuff. I had to sign an affidavit that I was on the pill before the doctor would write me a prescription for Accutane. THEN I also had to sign an affidavit that I would do my best to prevent becoming pregnant, even using two forms of birth control while on Accutane. There was literally a silhouette of a pregnant lady and a red cross-out "NO" sign on the blister pack FOR EACH PILL!

Oh I"m following you now. That's really scary.

I thought we were talking about acne control, not birth control or is this both?

We were talking about acne control. If you take Accutane and you become pregnant while taking it, it can cause serious birth defects. That's why you should avoid sex or use lots of birth control if you decide to have sex while taking it.

But for birth control, ninelives is correct.

144220937_f9c146503d_m.jpg

accutane2.jpg

My old roommate thought that was hilarious and she taped a few of them to our bathroom mirror.

I quoted myself because this thread is moving too fast!

Yes, Ninelives is correct about birth control. I've been on the pill since I was about 14, not because I was sexually active then, but because I had other issues, and the hormones in the pill helped regulate them.

I think that the best bet for birth control is Depo-provera, though I personally never want to be on that again. I was on it for a few years, and I really do prefer the pill.

Yes, Ninelives is correct about birth control. I've been on the pill since I was about 14, not because I was sexually active then, but because I had other issues, and the hormones in the pill helped regulate them.

I think that the best bet for birth control is Depo-provera, though I personally never want to be on that again. I was on it for a few years, and I really do prefer the pill.

That's why I just went on them.

I tried Yaz recently because I had iron-deficiency anemia and to see if it would help with the acne, but unfortunately, the side effects were too annoying for me to keep taking it (nausea, depression, general stomach discomfort).

You're right, this thread is moving too fast! I can't believe it's midnight already!! I think I'll have to sign off now and go to bed. :wave::zzz:

I wash my face with plain Dove bar soap once a day (that's what my dermatologist recommended).

Dove is the only soap i buy and have been using Dove for years. I do like to use shower gel after washing with Dove for a little scent (my favorites are Bath and Body Works Cucumber Melon and my daughter's Suave Watermelon Shampoo) :) I don't often wear make-up, but i have Bare Minerals for special occasions.

same here.

i had a blood clot a few years ago, my entire left leg was blocked and i could have died if it went to my heart or brain. very scary. since i had never smoked, and hadn't been on a long plane trip, nor injured myself, the doctors put it down to the many years of taking the pill.

i think it's best to use other forms of birth control for at least some of the time.

^that's scary.

Since I've been without health insurance for over a year, and the pill is about $100 a month, I haven't been on it for a while. Once I ran out of money, the pill went away.

It's been too long that I've been without hormonal birth control, so it's kind of been a rude awakening to how my body works without it.

I am glad I took the break from it, but I also worry a bit about something (ahem) unplanned happening.

I had no idea the pill is so expensive. Could you maybe get a sample from your doctor? I got a seasonique sample and it lasts for 3 months. I don't take it to prevent pregnancy but it's for that too and you only have 4 periods a year which I find a fantsatic option.

Hi there,

I understand that this topic was mainly created for women and it is not my intention to bother anybody with my beliefs. However, maybe I can contribute a little bit to the discussion surrounding breast cancer which took place at the beginning of this thread.

My wife and I were taken completely by surprise when we learned about her breast cancer diagnosis earlier this year. Nobody can relate to the kind of helplessness you feel when confronted with something like that, unless you actually had to experience it yourself. There was no family history of any kind of cancer in my wife's family. She has been living a rather healthy lifestyle (vegetarian, non-smoker, moderate alcohol consumption, etc.), yet, she got breast cancer. It was detected through her annual mammo, then followed by a biopsy and the pathology report.

We immediately started researching. The internet is a curse and a blessing at the same time, but it was a great source of information to us, in addition of the loads of books we went through ever since we learned about the diagnosis.

It is not my intention to convince people and try to tell them what they should do or not - nor do I claim that our approach to tackle the situation is the ultima ratio to the problem. However, as a result of our studying and the countless discussions with doctors across all camps and backgrounds, we do strongly believe, that there is a link between what you put into your body (and what you expose your body to) and the development of cancer, or for that matter, the cure of the disease.

We are now on a mainly raw food diet, cut out any processed food ("processed" does include cooking, too), a lot of juicing and green drinks, high doses of Vit C IV and B17, and so forth.

Well, the results are simply amazing.

But no matter what: as a general advice, for a cancer patient (or family member/friend), I do believe that it is of paramount importance to educate yourself and become your own "doctor". And please don't mistake me: I am not saying you shouldn't see a doctor and take it on yourself, not at all. I think you should actually put a team of HCPs together, consisting of conventional and alternative doctors AND nutritionists. And when I say alternative, it's needless to say that I don't refer to anyone who wants to sell you a "wonder-herb" claiming that this will cure you of your disease. There are a lot of legitimate and licensed alternative MDs out there. A treatment plan, for instance, could be a combination of both, traditional chemo and complementary alternative treatments.

But again, my point is, get as much information together as possible before you jump to any conclusions or make any premature decisions. It is your life, your body and ultimately you have responsibility for that - and more importantly, you are in control!

Best wishes.

Getting as much information as possible is certainly key to fighting any illness, and especially cancer which has so many different approaches because it can take so many forms (and has so many causes, including genetics, which nobody can avoid). And what works for one person won't necessarily work for another. All the very best to your wife, and let's hope the steps you've taken will prove successful! :)

To lower the tone a bit--I just stopped by to say, on the subject of cleansers, mousturizers, etc., that one of my pet peeves is the fact that so many of these products contain perfumes (same applies to hairsprays etc., too), which conflict with the perfume you actually WANT to wear. Boots in the UK has a good line called Simple that doesn't have any of these extra ingredients, but needless to say, as soon as I discovered it they stopped making the sizes that were really useful for travel. :rolleyes:

Clinique makes a great line of skin care products. Face washes, toners, astringents, make-up removers, moisturizers.....the whole nine yards. My sister has VERY sensitive skin and uses them religiously and one time while were road-tripping, I had no choice but to use her products as I'd left mine at home.

I have used Clinique's products ever since.

Hi there,

I understand that this topic was mainly created for women and it is not my intention to bother anybody with my beliefs. However, maybe I can contribute a little bit to the discussion surrounding breast cancer which took place at the beginning of this thread.

My wife and I were taken completely by surprise when we learned about her breast cancer diagnosis earlier this year. Nobody can relate to the kind of helplessness you feel when confronted with something like that, unless you actually had to experience it yourself. There was no family history of any kind of cancer in my wife's family. She has been living a rather healthy lifestyle (vegetarian, non-smoker, moderate alcohol consumption, etc.), yet, she got breast cancer. It was detected through her annual mammo, then followed by a biopsy and the pathology report.

We immediately started researching. The internet is a curse and a blessing at the same time, but it was a great source of information to us, in addition of the loads of books we went through ever since we learned about the diagnosis.

It is not my intention to convince people and try to tell them what they should do or not - nor do I claim that our approach to tackle the situation is the ultima ratio to the problem. However, as a result of our studying and the countless discussions with doctors across all camps and backgrounds, we do strongly believe, that there is a link between what you put into your body (and what you expose your body to) and the development of cancer, or for that matter, the cure of the disease.

We are now on a mainly raw food diet, cut out any processed food ("processed" does include cooking, too), a lot of juicing and green drinks, high doses of Vit C IV and B17, and so forth.

Well, the results are simply amazing.

But no matter what: as a general advice, for a cancer patient (or family member/friend), I do believe that it is of paramount importance to educate yourself and become your own "doctor". And please don't mistake me: I am not saying you shouldn't see a doctor and take it on yourself, not at all. I think you should actually put a team of HCPs together, consisting of conventional and alternative doctors AND nutritionists. And when I say alternative, it's needless to say that I don't refer to anyone who wants to sell you a "wonder-herb" claiming that this will cure you of your disease. There are a lot of legitimate and licensed alternative MDs out there. A treatment plan, for instance, could be a combination of both, traditional chemo and complementary alternative treatments.

But again, my point is, get as much information together as possible before you jump to any conclusions or make any premature decisions. It is your life, your body and ultimately you have responsibility for that - and more importantly, you are in control!

Best wishes.

wonderful to hear that your wife is doing well, keep us updated on her progress if you can.

i have to agree with what aquamarine said ... something that has worked for one may not neccesarily work for another. i had a good friend who had liver cancer, and she did as you did with the fresh and organic foods, vitamins, as well as surgery and chemo. but alas, she passed away. she was only 34.

in the case of my mother, she had no relatives with cancer, and did all the right things too. the main thing that was against her, i think, was that it was 1975, and the treatments back then weren't nearly as good as they are now. and in my case of thyroid cancer, it was just one of those freak things that happen, they couldn't give me a reason, and the doctors said they were quite surprised when it turned out to be cancer ( and not just a cyst ) as i was so young ( 30 ).

cancer really is quite prevalent in our world today, we have to acknowledge that. i don't know the answer, but i definately agree with your point about what goes into our bodies and what we are exposed to are huge factors.

again, so happy things are working out for you and your wife. xo

Thanks for the all comments to my posting from earlier today. I think an internet forum such as this one (which was created for another purposes) is the wrong place to elaborate in depth about all the pros and cons coming with either approach. I will therefore not continue to post here.

Just a very last comment, because I don't want to be misunderstood: I completely agree with your statements saying that there is no universal solution to this problem. What might work for one person, does not necessarily work for another one. My general point was, that I think that it's very important to make an educated decision - whatever that may be.

Thank you both for the positive wishes.