40 Years Gone - Seattle Concert Landmarks

055.jpg

Steve,

Great pictures! I am so glad you had a camera to capture the venue's timeline behind the theater. Wasn't able to capture that with my camera phone last visit! It really is amazing, when you look at that timeline, with all the history and performers, that they singled out Zep's show there in 1969.

You've inspired me! On my next trip to Seattle later this summer, I will bring my camera and photograph Gold Creek Park, where Zep played the only Seattle Pop Fest in Woodinville, on July 27, 1969. Even though this thread has produced only a couple of pictures of the festival (and there has to be more pictures somewhere in the Seattle media archives, including pictures of Zep onstage), I now know where the general area was where the festival was held.

You've inspired me! On my next trip to Seattle later this summer, I will bring my camera and photograph Gold Creek Park, where Zep played the only Seattle Pop Fest in Woodinville, on July 27, 1969. Even though this thread has produced only a couple of pictures of the festival (and there has to be more pictures somewhere in the Seattle media archives, including pictures of Zep onstage), I now know where the general area was where the festival was held.

Unfortunately I didn't have enough time to go to Woodinville when I made this pilgrimmage, however I'll be back in town (Seattle) on the 15th of this month and staying the night. Perhaps we could photograph Gold Creek Park as a team?

If memory serves correct Ally visited the Seattle newspaper archives in person and found that whatever Led Zeppelin photographs they may have had on file from the Seattle Pop Festival have long since been plundered. None on file.

Unfortunately I didn't have enough time to go to Woodinville when I made this pilgrimmage, however I'll be back in town (Seattle) on the 15th of this month and staying the night. Perhaps we could photograph Gold Creek Park as a team?

If memory serves correct Ally visited the Seattle newspaper archives in person and found that whatever Led Zeppelin photographs they may have had on file from the Seattle Pop Festival have long since been plundered. None on file.

Planet Page needs to get involved in this. She's done far more research on this than I have

• 2 weeks later...

Planet Page needs to get involved in this. She's done far more research on this than I have

...Ally,(I just saw this post) in addition to what I posted here already with the help of Librarians, I have not yet explored Special Collections Dept. at UofW (as recommended to me). They likely have extensive photograph collections...as you know it is difficult to research at distance...

The Helix is available at Public Library, as indicated in my previous post. It is dated July 31, 1969. There is confirmed article the very least...(see my previous post)...I can get this...

As for Vlad,I thought about contacting him, but yet the Photo-bio is being produced by Page...I wonder if the archives of Vlad are being searched....

In my opinion, it is the U of W that can further lead to discovery of photographs through their archives and contact within the Seattle Historic Community....

...later...

(sorry, been really really busy!!!)

...Ally,(I just saw this post) in addition to what I posted here already with the help of Librarians, I have not yet explored Special Collections Dept. at UofW (as recommended to me). They likely have extensive photograph collections...as you know it is difficult to research at distance...

The Helix is available at Public Library, as indicated in my previous post. It is dated July 31, 1969. There is confirmed article the very least...(see my previous post)...I can get this...

As for Vlad,I thought about contacting him, but yet the Photo-bio is being produced by Page...I wonder if the archives of Vlad are being searched....

In my opinion, it is the U of W that can further lead to discovery of photographs through their archives and contact within the Seattle Historic Community....

...later...

(sorry, been really really busy!!!)

No worries my friend smile.gif So have I laugh.gif

I just landed here in Seattle about an hour ago and there are no rental cars available at the airport. Fuck me. I had every intention of photographing Gold Creek Park in Woodinville and the Jimi Hendrix Memorial in Renton this afternoon. I'll try again next month. I guess I'll just go downtown for the evening and find something else to shoot.

I just landed here in Seattle about an hour ago and there are no rental cars available at the airport. Fuck me. I had every intention of photographing Gold Creek Park in Woodinville and the Jimi Hendrix Memorial in Renton this afternoon. I'll try again next month. I guess I'll just go downtown for the evening and find something else to shoot.

Check your email Steve

Hey Steve,

Sorry I'm not able to meet you up there, it looks like I won't get up to Seattle until the second or third week next month. Hope you have found a rental car, based on your post today!

Tell you what though: if you do make it out to Woodinville, I'm pretty confident the skating rink is still there. I thought I remembered seeing it, when I looked for the location a couple of months ago. Caution if you make it to Woodinville: signs in Woodinville say that Gold Creek Park is in the Hills, which technically is correct (on 156th street or something like that, if memory serves). But, judging by the pictures taken in this thread, the venue was definitely in the flat land valley part of Woodinville, and close to the skating rink.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to Ms. Higashiyama, Toby and Kreg for their kindest assistance, deeply appreciative for answering my inquiries with perfection and Providing us with these historic articles to follow...thank you!!!!

Excerpt from email today from Linda Higashiyama,Library Associate III,Magazine and Newspapers Dept.Seattle Public Library

"I was able to find one article from the Post-Intelligencer, and one article and photograph from the Seattle Times newspapers. However, the Seattle Times article and photograph did not include Led Zeppelin, but I thought you might be able to use it in context of general information concerning the festival itself.

Please note that the file names are citation information, in case you will be citing this for a book, magazine article, or website."

additional information via email from Ms. Higashiyama, re. other publications surrounding Woodenville area

The Seattle Public Library has both the Seattle Post-Intelligencer and the Seattle Times on microfilm. As a public library, we also have issues with high-usage of our collection. I was able to check the microfilm of both papers, and unfortunately, there are scratches on our films for both papers.

Thank you also for the information from your additional "Ask-a-Question" session regarding the "Helix" magazine. The Helix was a weekly publication based in Seattle. I've checked all of the November and December 1969 issues hoping to find an advertisement or review of the Led Zeppelin performance, but there wasn't anything in any of these. I'm not sure if it wasn't covered, since it was held in Woodinville as opposed to Seattle, or if it wasn't very well covered because the 1969 Seattle Pop Festival was the first one held.

Additionally, I checked the Music File in our Arts, Recreation and Leisure department to see if there were any articles that may have been clipped during that time period regarding Led Zeppelin or the Seattle Pop Festival, but was unsuccessful.

I also checked our print sources to see if there were any Woodinville newspapers published in the late 60s, but did not find any listings (as late as the late 70s, Woodinville was mostly farmland). I also checked to see if there were any Bothell newspapers in publication at the time, since Bothell is the nearest city to Woodinville, but did not find any listings. The next closest city would be Kirkland, and the local newspaper at the time was published under the name, "East Side Journal" in the 1960s.

...The Helix has confirmed pictures and articles July 31, 1969...I will check this later...along with East Side Journal...the History Piece posted at the beginning of this thread by Alley quotes this publication, I don't know about pictures...will look into later...

Update:

Seattle Pop Concert Promoter Boyd Grafmyre informs the fan community the following by email that I received July 20, 2010:

we are currently putting many things together for a future book and DVD package.

We are reaching out to many friends and musicians that have performed for me over the years for music and photos we can show all who are interested in that time in history.

I brought Led Zeppelin over for their first tour of the states and many tours to fallow. A wonderful story is our days in Maui that we will be talking about in your new DVD.

Boyd

Special Collections at U of W referred my inquiry to Carrol Marr, Librarian of Museum and History Seattle, Wa - Her email on July 23rd, 2010:

Unfortunately, our Seattle Post-Intelligencer Collection does not have any photos of the July 1969 festival at Gold Creek Park in Woodinville. I know that it was famous around here, so it is strange that we don’t have any photos. If The Seattle Times published any photos from the festival, they may be able to provide an image. If you can find someone to look at the microfilm version of the newspaper that would be a start.

...articles mentioned posted already herein...

Update on Photographer Vlad - Who has photographed The Seattle Pope Festival:

Very thankful to Veteran Freelance Journalist Mike Quigley from Vancouver for updating the fan community - particularly, Photographer named "Vlad" who has photographed The Seattle Pop Festival. Mike Quigley accompanied Vlad to this historic Event:

His Response via Email - July 25th, 2010:

"I haven't had any contact with Vlad for almost 40 years. His name was Vlad Keremedeschieff.

There was a "photo essay" by Vlad in the Vancouver Province of July 29, 1969 which contained several pictures from the Seattle Pop Festival (this was very unusual in the paper, in my experience). Unfortunately, Led Zeppelin was not included. There was also a photo by Vlad of Robert Plant accompanying a review I did of Led Zeppelin's first Vancouver concert (unknown date)."

The article review/photo is from Led Zeppelin May 10, 1969

Vancouver / Canada / PNE Agrodome -

I will post this...

Concert Promoter Boyd Grafmyre - Promoted Led Zeppelin several Times, has his Official Website - here is the link: In his "My Story" you can see the 5th Video, he discusses Richard Cole/Zep...

http://www.boydgrafmyre.com/

...Also, those who may not have seen this (it is in extreme poor condition), there is a video of Jim Morrison, very highly likely from Woodinville, Seattle Pop... Robert Plant w/Maureen Plant watched this performance...

...Thank you to Mike Quigley, Veteran Journalist from Vancouver for the following article:

Photograph by Vlad:

Led Zeppelin Live May 10, 1969

Vancouver / Canada / PNE Agrodome -

Quigpressrev.jpg

QuigPhoto.jpg

add..

Veteran Journalist Rick McGrath from Vancouver, publisher of Georgia Straight 1967-1962[/b underground press, ] has official Site:

Rick McGrath has posted Led Zeppelin interviews and photos from his legendary career:

http://www.rickmcgrath.com/

...and this is all of the access to archives that I have...

PlanetPage

rolleyes.gifey.gif

Planet Page you are a sweetheart air_kiss.gif

Thanks so much for this contribution and for all the time and effort you've put in for me personally. You know where I am...drinks are on me my friend wave.gif

...you quite welcome, but I love Zep as much as the next fan here...

as a result of my communication, Seattle Pop Promoter Boyd Grafmyer, Veteran Journalists Rick McGrath and Mike Quigley are all aware of each other/Seattle Pop upcoming project....Mike Quigley had no idea of the upcoming book/DVD by Boyd Grafmyre...I hope to see some input from them in the upcoming book/dvd package by Boyd Grafmyre...

I cannot access the Vancouver Province archived article,July 29th, 1969 (not too many searches can be conducted as we have done so previously with staff)....I hope that you can access that and fans can see some more photos of the Seattle Pop at least...

I will try the Helix but not accessible at this time, a little later...

add...

I have informed all parties of our James Patrick Page upcoming Book Project, just in case they wish to contribute any pictures from there long lost archives (in case they didn't know)

...you quite welcome, but I love Zep as much as the next fan here...

as a result of my communication, Seattle Pop Promoter Boyd Grafmyer, Veteran Journalists Rick McGrath and Mike Quigley are all aware of each other/Seattle Pop upcoming project....Mike Quigley had no idea of the upcoming book/DVD by Boyd Grafmyre...I hope to see some input from them in the upcoming book/dvd package by Boyd Grafmyre...

I cannot access the Vancouver Province archived article,July 29th, 1969 (not too many searches can be conducted as we have done so previously with staff)....I hope that you can access that and fans can see some more photos of the Seattle Pop at least...

I will try the Helix but not accessible at this time, a little later...

add...

I have informed all parties of our James Patrick Page upcoming Book Project, just in case they wish to contribute any pictures from there long lost archives (in case they didn't know)

On the case

Archived