40 Years Gone - Seattle Concert Landmarks

Thank you so much PlanetPage! Great work!!!! notworthy.gif

Very excited to see the book/DVD project of the Seattle Pop Festival!

And, if that July 29 Vancouver article ever comes to light, even with no Zep pictures, it would be still be great to see what's in there, just because we only have two pictures so far!

From what I understand, the photos are in the actual Vancouver Province Newspaper archives..not the library.. which will make getting copies much more difficult and as I have been told before, there will be copyright strings attatched. The real trick is to find Vlad and or receive his permission. I will keep trying. Anyone out there that can assist in finding the man...don't hesitate.

From what I understand, the photos are in the actual Vancouver Province Newspaper archives..not the library.. which will make getting copies much more difficult and as I have been told before, there will be copyright strings attatched. The real trick is to find Vlad and or receive his permission. I will keep trying. Anyone out there that can assist in finding the man...don't hesitate.

...I confirmed with Van. Public Library and via email the Librarian indicates, they do have it...however, it is microfilmed and must be checked in person....they did not indicate any copyright issues, as they state it is in person service, public access:

Vancouver Public Library

350 West Georgia St

Vancouver, BC V6B 6B1

Tel: 604-331-3603

e-mail: info@vpl.ca

....PPage......

Hey guys, I just now bothered to map the Gold Creek Park in Woodinville and realized that I live practically within walking distance of the place! Best guess is it's in the 4-6 mile range from my home. Oh why, oh why couldn't I have grown up here! sad.gif Anyhoo, I would love to go exploring the park with any of you when you're in town. Maybe fire up the grill at my place afterwards.

In searching for the map I came across a couple of other links that I don't believe have been posted yet and think y'all may enjoy.

This first one has quite a few reviews from folks who attended the festival (as well as the show at GreenLake) but they are also having trouble finding any photos (just the ones we already have in this thread) - -

Eastside Uptown Girl blog

And this short article might give you some leads in the Sources section, Steve. - -

HistoryLink note on Seattle Pop Festival

That last paragraph/quote by Gold Creek owner Chick Dawsey is such a hoot that I have to copy it in its entirety here and may just have to add it to my signature. hysterical.gif

Nearby neighbors complained of traffic and the hippie atmosphere, but Chick Dawsey, owner of Gold Creek, noted that spectators were orderly with very few exceptions.

"I disagree with their movement 100 per cent," said Dawsey, "but some of us adults better get the hell closer to them. They respond very much to kindness, we older people better learn this -- If they need a drink of water we, the establishment, should go out and offer it."

...I confirmed with Van. Public Library and via email the Librarian indicates, they do have it...however, it is microfilmed and must be checked in person....they did not indicate any copyright issues, as they state it is in person service, public access:

Vancouver Public Library

350 West Georgia St

Vancouver, BC V6B 6B1

Tel: 604-331-3603

e-mail: info@vpl.ca

....PPage......

Thanks PPage ! At the first availible opportunity, I'll take a trip down there and have a look.

Just a small update on this. I received an email from John Mackie of the Vancouver Sun Newspaper and he has offered his help with the hunt for Vlad. There are many of his peers who would like to reestablish contact with Vlad and for that reason, I feel confident that at some point, we will get a result. As I mentioned to PPage via pm, it would be my desire to have Vlad visit this forum himself and hopefully share some of his photo archive with all of us. Back in the day, he was indeed the man re: Vancouver/Seattle

Just a small update on this. I received an email from John Mackie of the Vancouver Sun Newspaper and he has offered his help with the hunt for Vlad. There are many of his peers who would like to reestablish contact with Vlad and for that reason, I feel confident that at some point, we will get a result. As I mentioned to PPage via pm, it would be my desire to have Vlad visit this forum himself and hopefully share some of his photo archive with all of us. Back in the day, he was indeed the man re: Vancouver/Seattle

..Thank you for this update, very excited that you feel confident, this would be IT!!!...

...earlier you suggested if anyone could help out...then I conducted one search, and found at least one identical Name..."appears" to be writer for faith column on Buddhism...no response or confirmation I received so far from the Site...but I think I will just leave it to You/The Sun, as they are already conducting a search...(I am not sure you received my PM)

...I will update any photographs/articles otherwise that I could find as time allows me here...

PPAGE

...I will update any photographs/articles otherwise that I could find as time allows me here...

PPAGE

I'll be in Seattle/Vancouver from Aug 15-18. I intend to photograph the festival site at Gold Creek Park in Woodinville. I'll scour local news archives if time permits.

I'll be in Seattle/Vancouver from Aug 15-18. I intend to photograph the festival site at Gold Creek Park in Woodinville. I'll scour local news archives if time permits.

You beat me to the punch here Steve! I am going to be in Seattle August 11-13, and was going to go to Woodinville to take pictures the afternoon of the 12th.

But, if you have never been, I'll defer to you. And your camera takes great pictures too! Sorry I'll miss you by a few days! It's a beautiful spot! And, once you visit, you'll see why the fuss to try and find any pictures from this historic festival just because of the beautiful location, and of course the artists that played!

As a side note, as mentioned in the first post of this thread, when your taking pictures of the site, you will be very close (a mile or two) to a couple of wineries and Red Hook Brewery in Woodinville. As long as you're there, you should stop by Chateau St. Michele winery, and see where Robert performed in 2005, the night of the 25th anniversary of Bonzo's death (and Strange Sensation opened with Moby Dick as a tribute). Beautiful venue as well.

You beat me to the punch here Steve! I am going to be in Seattle August 11-13, and was going to go to Woodinville to take pictures the afternoon of the 12th.

But, if you have never been, I'll defer to you. And your camera takes great pictures too! Sorry I'll miss you by a few days! It's a beautiful spot! And, once you visit, you'll see why the fuss to try and find any pictures from this historic festival just because of the beautiful location, and of course the artists that played!

As a side note, as mentioned in the first post of this thread, when your taking pictures of the site, you will be very close (a mile or two) to a couple of wineries and Red Hook Brewery in Woodinville. As long as you're there, you should stop by Chateau St. Michele winery, and see where Robert performed in 2005, the night of the 25th anniversary of Bonzo's death (and Strange Sensation opened with Moby Dick as a tribute). Beautiful venue as well.

Too bad your not coming in a few days later. It would have been great for the three of us to meet up and do a winery tour ......:lol:

A splendid idea. I'd forgotton about that one. It's been added to my photo shoot list for this trip.

Too bad your not coming in a few days later. It would have been great for the three of us to meet up and do a winery tour ......:lol:

That would have been great Ally! I should have checked with your's and Steve's schedule before I booked my business trip! Business always gets in the way of fun! :lol:

You guys have fun! Look forward to your pictures!

That would have been great Ally! I should have checked with your's and Steve's schedule before I booked my business trip! Business always gets in the way of fun! :lol:

You guys have fun! Look forward to your pictures!

Well, I believe the 13th is a Fri...:o but, if your time permitted and this was arranged properly, there is still a chance that something could be worked out. Maybe not the winery tour but certainly a coffee and a quick run to Woodinville. I think a PM may be in order

Well, I believe the 13th is a Fri...:o but, if your time permitted and this was arranged properly, there is still a chance that something could be worked out. Maybe not the winery tour but certainly a coffee and a quick run to Woodinville. I think a PM may be in order

If we do set something up I think I'd also like to invite Hugh Jones who published the Led Zeppelin fanzine Proximity for many years. He had some spectacular shots of Led Zeppelin performing in Seattle in 1975, may still have them and be willing to trade with us or allow us to share them with the forum.

If we do set something up I think I'd also like to invite Hugh Jones who published the Led Zeppelin fanzine Proximity for many years. He had some spectacular shots of Led Zeppelin performing in Seattle in 1975, may still have them and be willing to trade with us or allow us to share them with the forum.

email sent

Hi Ally,

Unfortunately, I fly out early Friday morning.

Maybe we can shoot for a future Robert Band of Joy show in Seattle, preferably at the Chateau St Michele, like 2005! I know you are hoping for Vancouver show as well, but in case it's only Seattle, this could be a fun option.

Look forward to seeing the pictures and hearing about your get together when Steve is in town.

Anyone identify who's sitting with Robert? Possibly Richard Cole in the foreground?

The Guy in the middle looks like it could possibly be the same guy in The Song Remains The Same Movie,the part where they are getting off the plane and getting into the limos and i havent went back and reviewed the footage ,but if i can remember this guy has on a brownish reddish looking suede jacket and he gets in the limo i beleive right after page gets in the limo,let me know what you think after reviewing that part of the film-thanks steve cowart-thats definitely cole in the background

The guy in the middle is definitely wearing a suede jacket just like the guy in TSRTS

The Guy in the middle looks like it could possibly be the same guy in The Song Remains The Same Movie,the part where they are getting off the plane and getting into the limos and i havent went back and reviewed the footage ,but if i can remember this guy has on a brownish reddish looking suede jacket and he gets in the limo i beleive right after page gets in the limo,let me know what you think after reviewing that part of the film-thanks steve cowart-thats definitely cole in the background

The guy in the middle is definitely wearing a suede jacket just like the guy in TSRTS

There's no connection between the '69 photo posted to this thread and the '73 film released in '76. The chap in the suede jacket who gets into the limo after Page and Plant is Roy Harper, who attended at least one of their three July '73 concerts at Madison Square Garden but did not attend the '69 Green Lake Park concert. If memory serves correct he is also seen in the film during Whole Lotta Love shaking a small rubber gorilla (King Kong?) from the left side of the stage. I'll also add that I don't think the '69 photo depicts Richard Cole. It's possible both were merely members of the public attending the event.

There's no connection between the '69 photo posted to this thread and the '73 film released in '76. The chap in the suede jacket who gets into the limo after Page and Plant is Roy Harper, who attended at least one of their three July '73 concerts at Madison Square Garden but did not attend the '69 Green Lake Park concert. If memory serves correct he is also seen in the film during Whole Lotta Love shaking a small rubber gorilla (King Kong?) from the left side of the stage. I'll also add that I don't think the '69 photo depicts Richard Cole. It's possible both were merely members of the public attending the event.

you have to admit it does kinda look like cole with bushy sideburns,anyway i know a little more.You Know steve i thought i knew a lot about zeppelin but compared to you i know very little ,the hours you must have invested in them must be staggering.I have attached a pic of donnie and i drinking some beers at the Sheraton Hotel on S.Florida Ave. in lakeland in 93.after one of the rehearsals ,and i dont know which nite, we went down to the lounge that was located in the hotel,the same one that robert and the band were staying at and had some beers with francis and charlie,5 mins.from my house.the shirt i am wearing was one of my favorite crew shirts but got stolen years ago.It says"Celebrating 25 Years With The Who-The Kids Are Alright Tour 1988-Local Crew"anyway i gotta get some shut eye,chat at you later-later dude

post-15223-053751500 1280909047_thumb.jp

• Administrators

Anyone identify who's sitting with Robert? Possibly Richard Cole in the foreground?

It's one of the promoters, B. Barer, with Richard Cole and Robert. I was in touch with him a while back, and he submitted a write-up on the Timeline page for this show:

ledzeppelin.com/show/may-11-1969

his write-up:

ledzeppelin.com/node/371/3056#comment-3056

Also was involved in bringing them to the Seattle Pop Festival. He also told me about a radio interview he did with the band, but hasn't been able to locate it, if it even exists anymore.

Hi Ally,

Unfortunately, I fly out early Friday morning.

Maybe we can shoot for a future Robert Band of Joy show in Seattle, preferably at the Chateau St Michele, like 2005! I know you are hoping for Vancouver show as well, but in case it's only Seattle, this could be a fun option.

Look forward to seeing the pictures and hearing about your get together when Steve is in town.

Hi there !

A show in Chateau St Michele would be a great reason to get a few people from the area together. Let's keep our fingers crossed :)

If all goes to plan, I should be making a trip to the public library this coming Fri.

Steve who :lol:

Hi there !

If all goes to plan, I should be making a trip to the public library this coming Fri.

......I have established personal contact at Simon Fraser Univer....Simon Univ has both The Province and The Helix...I will update this in the next week or so as this is the only time it can be searched due to summer break absence...

......I have established personal contact at Simon Fraser Univer....Simon Univ has both The Province and The Helix...I will update this in the next week or so as this is the only time it can be searched due to summer break absence...

Thanks PPage. I'll hold off untill we hear back from you.

...With Much Much Thanks to Richard!!! - Reference/Burnaby Library

July 29th, 1969 The Province, Veteran Journalist Mike Quigley/Vlad Photo Essay

outofsightinseattle-1.jpg

Great work Planet Page! Thanks so much! While the pictures are fuzzy, I could definitely read the article when clicking on the image. The more I learn about this incredible festival, the more I'm convinced it may have been THE festival to be at in 1969!!!

The flip side is, unfortunately, because Zep came on so late Sunday night, we may never find a photo of them in action that night, unless an amateur photo was taken. My guess is, given that they came on stage after the Doors, the professional photographers probably shot the Doors within the first three songs of their set, then left to get their pictures developed and published for Monday morning news media. From what I have read, it seems like Zep didn't come on stage any earlier than 10pm that closing Sunday night of the festival (not sure exactly when they came on that night, but I think it was late).

Here's hoping that someone finds/delivers a Zep photo from the stage that night! :)

Archived