40 Years Gone - Seattle Concert Landmarks

As You Know......You welcome...your comments are noteworthy - Zep, going by the reviews in timeline indeed are very late, so this is an issue. I still have Helix to come, the Librarian has informed me she does not recall Zep Photos but couldn't remember for sure...

I will post a list of possible additional newspapers that may have additional articles/photos - (Librarian U of W sent me emai)_

I do think Vlad is Key to this Historic Event, as expressed by Ally....I hope the Media in Vancouver will establish contact with the Mystery Photographer...there is much interest in Vlad both by the Fan community and The Media...

...Later

..not edited for typing

You Know steve i thought i knew a lot about zeppelin but compared to you i know very little ,the hours you must have invested in them must be staggering.

Some time ago I tallied up my research logs and was astounded to find it's about 50,000 hours. Even so, Sam 's knowledge consistently impresses me.

As You Know......You welcome...your comments are noteworthy - Zep, going by the reviews in timeline indeed are very late, so this is an issue. I still have Helix to come, the Librarian has informed me she does not recall Zep Photos but couldn't remember for sure...

I will post a list of possible additional newspapers that may have additional articles/photos - (Librarian U of W sent me emai)_

I do think Vlad is Key to this Historic Event, as expressed by Ally....I hope the Media in Vancouver will establish contact with the Mystery Photographer...there is much interest in Vlad both by the Fan community and The Media...

...Later

..not edited for typing

Great work PPage and thanks so much for all your efforts :beer: . Now all I have to do is check out every commune in North America to find Vlad :lol:

I dug up some of these Seattle Pop Festival articles when I was writing an article for TIGHT BUT LOOSE #24 on the 1969 Outdoor U.S. Festivals. No Zeppelin photos, but it's nice to see some photos from the Festival anyway, especially since there is so little photographic evidence from such an historic festival. Zeppelin is briefly mentioned in a few of the reviews.

Northwest Passage Underground Newspaper 8/5/69:

th_NWpassagecover.jpg

th_NWpassagea.jpg

th_NWpassageb.jpg

th_NWpassagec.jpg

Rolling Stone Magazine:

th_RSseattle1.jpg

th_RSseattle2.jpg

Georgia Straight/Vancouver Press 7/30/69 - 8/5/69:

th_Georgiastraightfp.jpg

I dug up some of these Seattle Pop Festival articles when I was writing an article for TIGHT BUT LOOSE #24 on the 1969 Outdoor U.S. Festivals. No Zeppelin photos, but it's nice to see some photos from the Festival anyway, especially since there is so little photographic evidence from such an historic festival. Zeppelin is briefly mentioned in a few of the reviews.

....amazing articles as always, your expert contribution much appreciated...

I also did a search in the link below oldnewspapersarchives, there appears to be just references to the Seattle Pop Festival, perhaps you have already looked into these newspapers archives, it would be great if you can search and confirm these further.....

http://www.newspaperarchive.com/SearchResultsV3.aspx

Great stuff added here today, thanks all. I saw online that the Eastside Journal archives are held at Bellevue Library so I may check that out in the next couple of weeks.

...Hi, and tks so much, we look forward to it!!!

If they have The Daily, the Student Press archives (it was weekly back then I believe), please have a look...

tks..

....amazing articles as always, your expert contribution much appreciated...

I also did a search in the link below oldnewspapersarchives, there appears to be just references to the Seattle Pop Festival, perhaps you have already looked into these newspapers archives, it would be great if you can search and confirm these further.....

http://www.newspaperarchive.com/SearchResultsV3.aspx

I had already looked in newspaperarchive. I found a few articles, all without pictures, but nothing of any real significance.

Great stuff added here today, thanks all. I saw online that the Eastside Journal archives are held at Bellevue Library so I may check that out in the next couple of weeks.

According to an online Seattle Pop article I saw, here are a few Eastside Journals you may want to seek out:

"Pop Festival Set for Gold Creek," East Side Journal, July 2, 1969, p. 10;

"50,000 Drawn to Gold Creek Rock Festival," East Side Journal, July 30, 1969, p. 10.

I had already looked in newspaperarchive. I found a few articles, all without pictures, but nothing of any real significance.

...thank you for confirming this...I do wonder what Photos Boyd Grafmyer is publishing...as he stated in his email that he is currently putting together a Photo/Video...I hope to get an update from him at some point

In my opinion, Boyd Grafmyre, can approach Seattle Press and publish an article, request fans to turn in any photographs they may have

There were still fans on the ground as most of the Press would have left by 11:00 P.M. time noted for Zep appearance in Timeline...

...I did receive copy of articles from The Helix, courtesy: Meg Gers, Enoch Pratt Free Library, however, the contents are duplicate of the

Northwest Passage Underground Newspaper 8/5/69 posted above by MikeZep61. Other than Vlad, Photographer Alan Lande took Seattle Pop Festival Photos in the Northwest Passage Underground Newspaper. There is an article (a link below) that discusses Alan Lande and his legendary work:

"Alan Lande estimates he has 5,000 photos from that era. It's a chronology of the demonstrations, festivals, street scenes and shows that he witnessed."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/living/2003839608_summeroflove17.html

Noteworthy also Led Zeppelin as stated performed late as 11:00 P.M. but according to Memoirs of The Sixties on-line through Googlebooks that I searched, The Band played for 3 hours....

..I will also post this related interesting archival articlel on the Seattle Pop Festival that questions further why Zep was not photographed at all? Late, yes, They were the" Final Act"...

"The Doors played late Sunday, just before the final act, Led Zeppelin. Morrison, in full beard, was obviously in a foul mood when the band arrived by helicopter, and got worse as he swigged whiskey from a bottle. I wanted to flee when he plunked down next to me on a couch backstage but decided to stay and see what happened. Festival director Boyd Grafmyre pleaded with him to go onstage, but Morrison growled that he wouldn't until he was ready. He was especially miffed that Zeppelin was closing the show instead of the Doors. He sat there almost an hour, drinking, complaining, swearing, sometimes dozing off. Finally the rest of the band persuaded him to get it over with, and he staggered toward the stage, bottle in hand."

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19910301&slug=1269128

...edited for spelling

I'm pleased to report my excursion to Gold Creek Park in Woodinville - site of the '69 Seattle Pop Festival - went well. I'll get the images posted here as soon as possible. I then proceeded to the Chateau St. Michelle winery - site of an '05 Plant gig - located just down the road and will also post those images here as soon as possible.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
  • Administrators

A tidbit from June 29, 1969 (Seattle Times) with promoter Boyd Grafmyre discussing the upcoming 1969 Seattle Pop Festival.  

"There is also some interest in filming the Seattle Pop Festival. National Education Television has shown some interest - they're doing a summer series on festivals of all kinds around the nation. King Screen is also interested in making a film about it and if that shouldn't work out, I may film it on my own."

oh well... goes into the 'coulda been' file. And still haven't seen any pics of Zep from the show.

1969-06-29-seattle-pop-ST.jpg

2 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

A tidbit from June 29, 1969 (Seattle Times) with promoter Boyd Grafmyre discussing the upcoming 1969 Seattle Pop Festival.  

Another interesting aspect from reading this article, which was written less than a month before the actual Pop Fest Weekend: there's no mention at all of signing the Doors this late in the game for the Pop Fest. They must have been a last minute addition to the festival.

Significant in that it turned out to be the only time the Zep and The Doors shared a bill.  

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, And You Know How It Is? said:

Another interesting aspect from reading this article, which was written less than a month before the actual Pop Fest Weekend: there's no mention at all of signing the Doors this late in the game for the Pop Fest. They must have been a last minute addition to the festival.

Significant in that it turned out to be the only time the Zep and The Doors shared a bill.  

Announcement of the Doors being added: July 14, 1969 (Seattle Times)

1969-07-14-seattle-pop-doors-added.jpg

Archived