Led Zeppelin and "Drugs"

lzzoso

Okay. Let me say that I actually do not believe why this is such a "Controversial" subject. If any of you are as much as a Jimmy Page and Led Zeppelin fan as I am, then this subject, should really not be that "controversial".

I have been a Led Zeppelin fan for over 25 years (I am 38 years old now). I have read almost every book and magazine article of the group that I could get my hands on. I consider myself to be one of the best and well-read fans of all-time (of course I am sure we all feel the same way).

Regardless, I feel that at some point we all have to realize that certain "drugs" began to take over certain members of the groups lives. If what I am saying "offends" you, why don't you ask yourself why? Remember, we are talking about LED ZEPPELIN. The biggest and best Rock and Roll group of all-time. I could "quote" many sources that say that LZ were "fuelled" up by you know what or that John Bonham used to snort lines of of his drum kit after a marathon version of "Moby Dick". I have a dvd of Earl's Court where I can see for myself that Bonzo snorts up a line of something that Mick Hinton (his assistant) lays down on Bonzo's kettle drum. John Bonham leans over and snorts up the white powder that Mick Hinton lays down. So, if i can see this for myself on the dvd does that mean I am lying?

To be completly honest, I actually do not give a fuck what drugs the members of Led Zeppelin ever did. All I know is that they DID DO THEM at some time and they still made the best and most Powerfull music of all-time.

I think it's common knowledge that the band indulged in vices, be they women, drugs or drink......but does anyone care? I don't. It was a product of the times and it killed one of them, thankfully the others wised up to a degree and they're still with us.

Past that, what is there to comment on?

Doesn't bother me either. Drugs and rock n' roll went together like salt and pepper back then. It's hard to be amongst all that carry on and not act a little different. I don't need dangerous drugs in my normal everyday life, but being in a huge mega rock n' roll band isn't/wasn't normal everyday life and they weren't kids.

So, they get a pass from me.

^says the guy with a "mudshark" in his siggy. ;)

If's that what they used as a mudshark then there's no way I would ever let that thing near my 'bits'.

:P

Mind you, I once had a girlfriend with teeth life that and................................ :o

If's that what they used as a mudshark then there's no way I would ever let that thing near my 'bits'.

:P

Mind you, I once had a girlfriend with teeth life that and................................ :o

:lol:

Yes...someone who used to come to this site on a daily basis once told me that once "us women" could learn to stop raking our teeth, we'd be more trustworthy.

:lol:

Oh that's ok. I can go back to my dream of you and I when...........................er I'll keep that one private I think. B)

Oooops, sorry to derail this threa, but SHE started it.

Um...no, I didn't.

Actually, it's not really too derailed, you see...

they're talking about SEX, DRUGS, AND ROCK AND ROLL!

Isn't that what brought us all here?

Yeahh....that's what I thought!

Okay. Let me say that I actually do not believe why this is such a "Controversial" subject. If any of you are as much as a Jimmy Page and Led Zeppelin fan as I am, then this subject, should really not be that "controversial".

I have been a Led Zeppelin fan for over 25 years (I am 38 years old now). I have read almost every book and magazine article of the group that I could get my hands on. I consider myself to be one of the best and well-read fans of all-time (of course I am sure we all feel the same way).

Regardless, I feel that at some point we all have to realize that certain "drugs" began to take over certain members of the groups lives. If what I am saying "offends" you, why don't you ask yourself why? Remember, we are talking about LED ZEPPELIN. The biggest and best Rock and Roll group of all-time. I could "quote" many sources that say that LZ were "fuelled" up by you know what or that John Bonham used to snort lines of of his drum kit after a marathon version of "Moby Dick". I have a dvd of Earl's Court where I can see for myself that Bonzo snorts up a line of something that Mick Hinton (his assistant) lays down on Bonzo's kettle drum. John Bonham leans over and snorts up the white powder that Mick Hinton lays down. So, if i can see this for myself on the dvd does that mean I am lying?

To be completly honest, I actually do not give a fuck what drugs the members of Led Zeppelin ever did. All I know is that they DID DO THEM at some time and they still made the best and most Powerfull music of all-time.

It's not really a controversial subject, but one thing you might have noticed over your 25 years of being a Zep fan is that this band does not talk about drugs. Whereas quite a few other bands wear their drug use, wanton ways, and general debauchery as a badge of honor, the Led Zeppelin camp has spurned such talk.

It is what it is, this is their site, the subject will stand if they want it to....if it doesn't, it won't mean you're a liar...just that you've broached the wrong subject.

*shrugs*

If you don't give a fuck, why post the question?

Actually, it's not really too derailed, you see...

they're talking about SEX, DRUGS, AND ROCK AND ROLL!

Isn't that what brought us all here?

Yeahh....that's what I thought!

I've GOT it!!!!!!

That's what the fuck is wrong with rock and roll now!! It's not dead;it needs drugs!!!!

Put the drugs back in rock and roll!!!!

If you don't give a fuck, why post the question?

Ev, I thought he simply meant that he doesn't see the drug use as a reason to belittle the band's achievement, and yet many people would do just that - as in, say, "They were just a bunch of drug addicts".

Extremely many great musicians have used heavy drugs - from Billie Holiday to Jim Morrison, or from Charlie 'Bird' Parker to Jimi Hendrix - so why judge Led Zeppelin in particular for using them? Many have argued that the drugs were/are inseparable from the music. That's an argument you can't refute, because the music after all is a product of the actual lives these musicians lead, and if/when drugs really are a part of their life, then the music is bound to reflect that fact in various ways, for good or bad.

On the other hand if this is taken to mean that drugs is where the music comes from, then that too is a statement that cannot be refuted.... only, and more importantly, it cannot be proved either. The musicians who created great music as drug users, or even addicts, wouldn't necessarily have had no ideas if they hadn't used drugs. They might in fact have created great music we never got the chance to hear.

The drugs, the counter-culture of the 1970's, and the whole idea (and practice) of a Rock & Roll lifestyle, is inseparable from the rock music scene at the time. But one does NOT need to be a part of that to appreciate the music. If you in fact don't lead that kind of lifestyle and perhaps never have, it does not make your take on the music less valid - just different.

The music of Led Zeppelin has now achieved classic status. That's because people can relate to that legacy in a gazillion different ways, coming from all different backgrounds - many weren't even born when the band quit. And it's these people, and their appreciation of the band, that have ensured it's classic status, made it clear that the music has value that really transcends the era and atmosphere it originated in.

It appears that the majority of rock bands do or did drugs, it's part of the lifestyle. The difference with Zeppelin is that unlike other bands drugs never affected their performance. The only dodgy performance I can think of is the '88 performance in which Jimmy supposedly drank too much before going on stage.

John Bonham used to snort lines of of his drum kit after a marathon version of "Moby Dick". I have a dvd of Earl's Court where I can see for myself that Bonzo snorts up a line of something that Mick Hinton (his assistant) lays down on Bonzo's kettle drum. John Bonham leans over and snorts up the white powder that Mick Hinton lays down.

Well it may have made more sense for him to do a bump BEFORE Moby Dick. My experience anyway.

It appears that the majority of rock bands do or did drugs, it's part of the lifestyle. The difference with Zeppelin is that unlike other bands drugs never affected their performance. The only dodgy performance I can think of is the '88 performance in which Jimmy supposedly drank too much before going on stage.

Sadly I do think at times it affected their performance :(

Ev, I thought he simply meant that he doesn't see the drug use as a reason to belittle the band's achievement, and yet many people would do just that - as in, say, "They were just a bunch of drug addicts".

Noted Otto. Twas a bit late when I replied.

Sadly I do think at times it affected their performance :(

As Page would and has said: Dancing on a precipice!

I think the fistfuls of coke were more a matter of the touring scene. The hash-oiled joints. Personally I don't think the whole heroin thing really entered into the Zeppelin world until the last few years. Much of what they did might have been influenced with a joint, a snort, and a few hits off the bottle. It might have fueled the lifestyle, but I don't think it really influenced the music. You wake up the next morning and say "Woah, I don't think so!" I don't think they were ever so in the bag they'd let something go out like that.

Jimmy wanted to get onstage as quickly as possible but the event ran long and he was

stuck backstage for quite some time.

I think their worse performance ever was Greensboro '75. A bed-ridden Robert was flown in from Chicago, everyone else from three days of partying in L.A. Listen - they sucked.

"I think the 02 was the first time I've played sober." Jimmy Page

I'm paraphrasing of course Steve, and I'm sure you can produce the actual quote, but the jist stands.

Hey, I can't play without a few drinks. I get too uptight myself! ;)

It's not really a controversial subject, but one thing you might have noticed over your 25 years of being a Zep fan is that this band does not talk about drugs. Whereas quite a few other bands wear their drug use, wanton ways, and general debauchery as a badge of honor, the Led Zeppelin camp has spurned such talk.

It is what it is, this is their site, the subject will stand if they want it to....if it doesn't, it won't mean you're a liar...just that you've broached the wrong subject.

*shrugs*

Actually you are correct. The only reference to any "drug use" by any member of Led Zeppelin that I can recall is the quote by Robert Plant when giving interviews during the mid 70's is the line that he used, "Actually I gave up cocaine this morning". Of course, I read this in "Hammer of the Gods". I know that this book is usually dismissed by alot of fans on this website, but I still happen to read and like this book. However truthful or inconsistent this book is a matter of conjecture. I mean, if you or me were not there, how can we say that this book is, in fact, obsolete?

Archived