Whole Lotta of Love vs Whole Lotta of Rosie

McSeven

So which Whole Lott rock and roll song wins for you.

My take is that both are better live. Wll sound more metallic in the studio. AcDc's WLR sound like a rollercoaster going out of control.

Anyways I have to think of more to say about each song. I just wanted people's oppinions of each song because of thier similar song title.

Mc7

So which Whole Lott rock and roll song wins for you.

My take is that both are better live. Wll sound more metallic in the studio. AcDc's WLR sound like a rollercoaster going out of control.

Anyways I have to think of more to say about each song. I just wanted people's oppinions of each song because of thier similar song title.

Mc7

I'm not familiar with the ACDC song, but the Zeppelin song is called "Whole Lotta Love". :P .

I don't really get the "metallic" sound you mentioned, and since I'm not familiar with the latter song, I guess I'll leave the "comparison" to the others. Though I wonder what should we compare? Musical instruction? The feeling the songs give us? It's difficult to know what you want...maybe you could offer your opinion first?

Personally I like Whole Lotta Rosie more. It's classic Bon Scott at his sexually charged best with a twist of comedy. He wrote some great stuff. WLL is one of the first LZ songs I burned out on and despite the songs popularity I don't think covers are where LZ excelled.

Studio WLL with all the overdubs sounds mettalic for its time. Just like the riff for Iron Butterflies INGDavida.

The opening Riff of WLL has a very metallic feel. WLR is a fun song. It is one of AcDc stapels in concert. I would say it would be on par with Zeps WLL as that blues feel good rocking song.

I have to think more on this.

Mc7

No competition.

WLL is almost a decade earlier and far more impactful as a song. It's one of the great songs of the rock era. I really don't think you can say the same about WLR, as much as I love Bon era AC/DC and WLR itself.

WLL is one of the first LZ songs I burned out on and despite the songs popularity I don't think covers are where LZ excelled.

WLL is not a 'cover'. Despite the Dixon lyrics and the Marriot like Plant bit in a couple of moments the music is completely original and has little to do with any previous version.

No competition.

WLL is almost a decade earlier and far more impactful as a song. It's one of the great songs of the rock era. I really don't think you can say the same about WLR, as much as I love Bon era AC/DC and WLR itself.

WLL is not a 'cover'. Despite the Dixon lyrics and the Marriot like Plant bit in a couple of moments the music is completely original and has little to do with any previous version.

Like Cream’s Crossroads, Hendrix’s Hey Joe and whatever other song you can think of where an artist has used someone else’s lyrics and ideas put to their own music, WLL is a cover. Just because an artist comes up their own music doesn’t not make it a cover. It just means they didn’t choose to be 100% faithful to the original. It happens.

Well, being both a huge fan of Led Zeppelin and AC/DC thats a tough call. Whole Lotta Love is definately more influential. i'd say WLL wins studio version, but I've seen AC/DC live twice and WLR live is amazing.

WLL is a cover. Just because an artist comes up their own music doesn’t not make it a cover. It just means they didn’t choose to be 100% faithful to the original. It happens.

The 'original'???? The music in the 'original' is nothing like WWL.

WLL is NOT a 'cover'. The music to WLL has nothing to do with any previous incarnation from Dixon.

WLL is not a cover version of anything. Plant stole/borrowed some lyrics and that's about it. He might have covered the lyrics but the song/musical construction is not a cover of Dixon. Nothing like it. End of.

Next thing you'll be telling me Communication Breakdown is a 'cover' of Nervous Breakdown by Eddie Cochran. I've heard that nonsense before too and it's complete bollocks quite frankly.

The 'original'???? The music in the 'original' is nothing like WWL.

WLL is NOT a 'cover'. The music to WLL has nothing to do with any previous incarnation from Dixon.

WLL is not a cover version of anything. Plant stole/borrowed some lyrics and that's about it. He might have covered the lyrics but the song/musical construction is not a cover of Dixon. Nothing like it. End of.

Next thing you'll be telling me Communication Breakdown is a 'cover' of Nervous Breakdown by Eddie Cochran. I've heard that nonsense before too and it's complete bollocks quite frankly.

I'll post it again since you are having a difficult time understanding it.

Like Cream’s Crossroads, Hendrix’s Hey Joe and whatever other song you can think of where an artist has used someone else’s lyrics and ideas put to their own music, WLL is a cover. Just because an artist comes up their own music doesn’t not make it a cover. It just means they didn’t choose to be 100% faithful to the original. It happens.

It's a cover, just like all the other covers where artists have used someone else's lyrics put to a different music.

I'll post it again since you are having a difficult time understanding it.

It's a cover, just like all the other covers where artists have used someone else's lyrics put to a different music.

Which song is it a cover of though? You Need Love or You Need Loving? Whole Lotta Love has more in common with You Need Loving by The Small Faces than You Need Love by Willie Dixon. Should they have credited The Small Faces even though The Small Faces blatantly nicked/borrowed the lyrics themselves? There's only actually a few words and phrases of WLL that are similar to the Willie Dixon song and the actual music is completely different. For me, that is not enough to class it as a cover.

I think Whole Lotta Love would have been built around the riff - which is an original composition by Jimmy Page, Robert Plant then added the lyrics and lyrical melody, obviously taken and adapted from You Need Loving By The Small Faces. Personally, I don't think The Small Faces deserve a song-writing credit for being thieves themselves and I don't believe Willie Dixon's version was ever actually used as a source.

Cream's Crossroads could be classed a a cover because the lyrics are pretty much identical to the original by Robert Johnson.

Whole Lotta Love is an original masterpiece.

LZ's WLL is credited to Page\Plant\Jones\Bonham\Dixon. That should answer your question.

Yeah but it would just be credited solely to Dixon if it was a cover. ;)

I just see it as stealing a few lyrics rather than being a full cover song. And as I said the actual words have much more similarity to the Small Faces version anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

"Whole Lotta Love" definitely for me. I like both songs but I would choose "Whole Lotta Love" anytime. "Whole Lotta Rosie" is still a good song and I like it. It may be faster and louder but "Whole Lotta Love" has a better structure and is better in any way in my opinion. It's song that describes hard rock, even early heavy metal, to me.

Archived