Mick Hinton

Greendane

Whatever happened to Mick Hinton? I last saw him in 1973. Recently read a blurb that he had died. Does anyone know anything? What did he do after he left Zeppelin, did he marry and have a family? What did he die of....

Don't know, maybe one of these guys.....

http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&source=hp&q=Mick+Hinton&btnG=Google+Search

Whatever happened to Mick Hinton? I last saw him in 1973. Recently read a blurb that he had died. Does anyone know anything? What did he do after he left Zeppelin, did he marry and have a family? What did he die of....

Alive and well as of May 2009...

How to sound like Led Zeppelin's John Bonham

Bonzo's drum set-up revealed

Rhythm Magazine, Fri 22 May 2009, 2:57 pm BST

Legendary power

Bonham's power was legendary. His longest serving roadie/tech Mick Hinton says, "We had a riser with holes drilled for the tom legs, spurs and hi-hat to slot into. Ludwig drilled holes in the front bass drum hoop so I could anchor the bass drum.

He used a Rogers hi-hat pedal and Ludwig Speed King bass pedal with a wooden beater. Every tour, Ludwig supplied one gross (144) pairs of 2A hickory sticks. We used Remo CS black dot heads.

It was always the 14"x61/2" metal snare with Gretsch 42 strand snare. There was no damping in the bass drum, just a Dr Scholl's moleskin patch. John's great thing was the snare drum which had to be spot on, so he tuned it himself and I tuned the rest. The bottom heads were quite tight and the tops were slacker. But his sound was the way he played - it was nothing to do with me."

Alive and well as of May 2009...

How to sound like Led Zeppelin's John Bonham

Bonzo's drum set-up revealed

Rhythm Magazine, Fri 22 May 2009, 2:57 pm BST

Legendary power

Bonham's power was legendary. His longest serving roadie/tech Mick Hinton says, "We had a riser with holes drilled for the tom legs, spurs and hi-hat to slot into. Ludwig drilled holes in the front bass drum hoop so I could anchor the bass drum.

He used a Rogers hi-hat pedal and Ludwig Speed King bass pedal with a wooden beater. Every tour, Ludwig supplied one gross (144) pairs of 2A hickory sticks. We used Remo CS black dot heads.

It was always the 14"x61/2" metal snare with Gretsch 42 strand snare. There was no damping in the bass drum, just a Dr Scholl's moleskin patch. John's great thing was the snare drum which had to be spot on, so he tuned it himself and I tuned the rest. The bottom heads were quite tight and the tops were slacker. But his sound was the way he played - it was nothing to do with me."

Sorry man, but I couldn't find any thing at all about Bonzo at that link you posted. B)

• 3 years later...

My dad married, had two kids, divorced and moved to Nottingham where he died in 2007 of complications arising from liver cancer, emphysema and liver disease.

I don't often google his name but I imagine he'd be pretty amused to see me doing this!

Dan,

The excerpt above from Rhythm magazine quoting your dad is from 2009. Yet, you say he passed away in 2007. I'm slightly confused here.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

My dad married, had two kids, divorced and moved to Nottingham where he died in 2007 of complications arising from liver cancer, emphysema and liver disease.

I don't often google his name but I imagine he'd be pretty amused to see me doing this!

• 3 years later...
15 hours ago, dan_hin said:

Been awhile since I logged in. Yes, he was my father and yes he died on the 22nd of June 2007.

Sorry to read that, thanks for taking the time to log in & let people know.

From what I've read it sounds like your Dad was a really important part of the Led Zeppelin organisation throughout the 70s, something to tell the grandchildren about certainly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 4/10/2013 at 4:33 PM, dan_hin said:

Is sally your mom? My mom was friends with your parents your dad used to babysit me... lol

• 1 year later...
On 3/24/2017 at 12:00 AM, dan_hin said:

Been awhile since I logged in. Yes, he was my father and yes he died on the 22nd of June 2007.

Hey cool thread, Dan thanks for popping in. My best thoughts with you today for Father's Day and tomorrow.

Would you be willing to share any stories or answer a few questions if we organised a group Q&A? I understand you'd only be going on memories of stories that may have been passed down to you.  There are certainly a handful of good anecdotes I can think of involving your Dad, many of them told differently each time I come across them. Would be fantastic to hear anything you might like to share.

On 6/21/2020 at 4:28 AM, SilverVishnu said:

Hey cool thread, Dan thanks for popping in. My best thoughts with you today for Father's Day and tomorrow.

Would you be willing to share any stories or answer a few questions if we organised a group Q&A? I understand you'd only be going on memories of stories that may have been passed down to you.  There are certainly a handful of good anecdotes I can think of involving your Dad, many of them told differently each time I come across them. Would be fantastic to hear anything you might like to share.

That would be wonderful, I would love to participate if you'd be inclined.  I have a YouTube channel devoted to Bonzo's drumming and it would be great to hear from you about your father and his relationship with Bonzo. Are you a musician, Dan? 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I met Mick in 1980 - during my stay in Cornwall ( Bodmin ) - at his place just a few days after Bonzo passed away. We went to visit him with a couple of friends trying to cheer him up but he was devastated. I'll always remember this night. As a LZ fan, I managed not to mention them during the whole evening. He was such a nice person. I never herad of him again as I had to go back home to France a few months later. Sorry to read he passed away.

Edited by Rodolphe

• 5 months later...

Hi I've just found this group whilst reminiscing about my dad, he was really good friends with mick in Nottingham.

If Dan or Jake are on here please drop me a line, it'd be great to catch up even though its been about 30 years since we went bowling with our dad's in Nottingham 

• 2 months later...
On 3/23/2017 at 7:00 PM, dan_hin said:

Dan_hin before you were born Mick was engaged to my mom.  I was 4 years old when I met him and I really adored him.  He used to teach me fun phrases like go up the apples and pears (up the stairs).  My mom has a lot of photos.  They broke up due to long tours and other women.