What do you call Led Zeppelin's 4th album?

I call it Led Zeppelin IV. That's what I called it when I first got into Led Zeppelin. Then I started calling it "Zoso" because I thought Jimmy Page's character was the album title. Then I learned that it was intended to be without a title and I called it untitled. I heard that the four symbols actually make up the title so I called it either untitled or four symbols (or when on a computer I tried to use the four symbols). THEN I heard that Page himself just refers to it in interviews as Led Zeppelin IV. So I've gone back to calling the album Led Zeppelin IV.

when speaking with people who know zep, i just say " 4 ". but if i were describing it to someone who doesn't know about it, i'd say something like " the 4th album they put out, it is untitled, the grey coloured album cover with a picture of an old man carrying sticks on his back ..."

" 4 " is much easier, lol. :)

For me personally, in my opinion, I call it the WHEN THE LEVEE BREAKS album. The reason for this is because when you look at the front and back covers, the houses as well as the whole town looks like water wiped out the whole town as a result of a levee breakage. Maybe thats the reason why there's songs on the album called "Stairway To Heaven" and "Misty Mountain Hop." It was just a thought. Ha Ha! ROCK ON FOREVER die hard ZEPPELIN fans!

LATE EDIT: How bout calling the album LEVEEBREAKER?

when speaking with people who know zep, i just say " 4 ". but if i were describing it to someone who doesn't know about it, i'd say something like " the 4th album they put out, it is untitled, the grey coloured album cover with a picture of an old man carrying sticks on his back ..."

" 4 " is much easier, lol. :)

This is exactly the situation i constantly find myself in. Couldn't have said it better myself. :thumbsup:

"Zeppelin IV" seems to be the easiest way to refer to it.

When I am having a real life, verbal, conversation with people, I always refer to it as "Led Zeppelin IV" - no exceptions. If people are not familiar with the album from the title, once I describe the cover with the hermit and "Stairway to Heaven" and "When the Levee Breaks", they almost always know what album I'm talking about. If I am having an online or email conversation with someone who knows the band and its music as well as I do and we're talking about Zep music then I will shorten it to LZIV.

Before the album was released, I saw LZ perform several of the songs from it in concert and I remember Robert telling us that the album was coming out soon but it didn't have a name yet. When the album was released, we searched for the name and when we pulled out the sleeve and saw the four symbols lined up, "Zoso" was first and we initially thought it was a word and that it must be the name of the album. That was the time before dragon suits and sigils...we only learned about those things in the coming years.

Archived