I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

20 hours ago, Charles J. White said:

Eddie The Eagle - Magnificent

Batman vs Superman - Loved It!

I enjoyed "Eddie the Eagle" very much, too. I remember the Calgary Olympics and Eddie the Eagle was one of the heartwarming figures from that Olympics. That was also the year of the Jamaican Bobsledding team!

9 hours ago, rm2551 said:

Zootopia - Cracking good fun. Took the kids, thought I'd be bored silly - was really quite fun.

As soon as my nephew and I saw the hilarious "Zootopia" trailer before "Star Wars:TFA" we looked at each other and said "We're so there opening day!" 'Cracking good fun' is right!

7 hours ago, Houses of the Holy said:

Charles White, I'm with ya.  Batman v Superman rocked! 

7 hours ago, Houses of the Holy said:

Strider, I'm of the persuasion that the comic-book era of Hollywood is freshly hitting its stride. B)

Well, a lot of people do seem to like Batman vs. Superman. I will reserve judgement until I see the film but I still puzzle over the central conceit...Batman and Superman being enemies. Plus, whatever super gadgets Batman has, he is still just a man. Whereas Superman is a super man! No way Batman even has a chance in this fight so where is the suspense? Superman should crush him easily.

Edited by Strider

8 minutes ago, ebk said:

I'd try to help, but I rarely go to the movies these days.

There, did that help? :)

Every post helps, ebk. Bless your soul. 

I

T

T

A

K

E

S

A

V

I

L

L

A

G

E

C

O

M

E

O

N

P

A

G

E

!

I remember saying in another thread that I didn't get the concept of "Batman vs. Superman" either. Supes can bench-press planets, whereas Batman has a utility belt--but who knows, maybe there's some weird "Comic-bookie" explanation as to how Bats could hang in a fight with Superman...

:lol:

Yesterday I went to go see Star Wars:  The Force Awakens at the $ movies here in Texas.  This was my third time seeing this epic saga in a movie theater.  However, it turns out that the $1 movies is now the $2.25 movies, although this particular theater is known as the $1 movies.  I am not quibbling at the price of admission because I paid $20 to see this same movie a day before it was "officially" released and then a couple of weeks later I paid $12.50 to see this same movie in "3D". 

... And I will pay the $20 or so dollars to own this when it is released on Blu-Ray in about a week or so.

LONG LIVE STAR WARS and May THE FORCE BE WITH YOU!!!  Those of you who believe in the Force. 

19 hours ago, Strider said:

Whew! Thank you Lord! ;)

Please folks, in the future don't post more than two or three YouTube clips at a time.

You could pretty much give yourself the same old tip, as you caused the same type of chaos (as I did on this thread) on the What Are You Listening To Thread, about a while ago. Nobody's perfect. It's not like I committed a crime or something. 

Edited to add: I guess almost all Millennials like me, are guilty of whinging all the time, but with that being said, I guess Baby Boomers (like yourself) are famous for their biting sarcasm ;) 

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

10 hours ago, kingzoso said:

Yesterday I went to go see Star Wars:  The Force Awakens at the $ movies here in Texas.  This was my third time seeing this epic saga in a movie theater.  However, it turns out that the $1 movies is now the $2.25 movies, although this particular theater is known as the $1 movies.  I am not quibbling at the price of admission because I paid $20 to see this same movie a day before it was "officially" released and then a couple of weeks later I paid $12.50 to see this same movie in "3D". 

... And I will pay the $20 or so dollars to own this when it is released on Blu-Ray in about a week or so.

LONG LIVE STAR WARS and May THE FORCE BE WITH YOU!!!  Those of you who believe in the Force. 

Just downloaded it a few days ago (someone leaked a dvd rip already), so tonight I can watch it in good quality here at home.

20160403_171655.thumb.jpg.8f30a2aec42b60

Director Richard Linklater at the screening of his winning new movie "Everybody Wants Some" at the American Cinematheque earlier today.

Not exactly a sequel to "Dazed and Confused" (different characters and actors and town) but kind of a spiritual sequel. Whereas "Dazed and Confused" is about the last day of school in 1976, "Everybody Wants Some" takes place the weekend before classes start for the fall semester of college in 1980. Imagine Mitch Kramer and his other freshman pals 4 years later as they enter college.

Like "Dazed and Confused", the music and period detail is spot on. As is Linklater's Jane Austen-like ability to hone in on differing social cliques and their customs and rites of passage. His keen observation of teen and young adult behaviour is unequalled among today's filmmakers.

Linklater also has a knack for assembling a gifted ensemble of unknown actors and fresh faces. There is a natural rapport among the actors in "Everybody Wants Some"...one of whom is the hockey-playing son of Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn.

Oh, and ignore the trailer. Linklater's movies can't be reduced to an easy marketing hook. His movies are always better than the trailer makes them seem to be.

Linklater is also a Led Zeppelin fan and his movies usually have a Led Zeppelin reference. There are a couple Led Zeppelin references in "Everybody Wants Some"...including a very Jimmy Page-specific reference that will bring a smile of triumph to those knowledgeable enough to spot it.

Bonus prize to the first person who posts the answer here on this thread.

Make sure you don't miss the beginning...and stay thru the end credits.

Edited by Strider

7 hours ago, Strider said:

20160403_171655.thumb.jpg.8f30a2aec42b60

Director Richard Linklater at the screening of his winning new movie "Everybody Wants Some" at the American Cinematheque earlier today.

Not exactly a sequel to "Dazed and Confused" (different characters and actors and town) but kind of a spiritual sequel. Whereas "Dazed and Confused" is about the last day of school in 1976, "Everybody Wants Some" takes place the weekend before classes start for the fall semester of college in 1980. Imagine Mitch Kramer and his other freshman pals 4 years later as they enter college.

Like "Dazed and Confused", the music and period detail is spot on. As is Linklater's Jane Austen-like ability to hone in on differing social cliques and their customs and rites of passage. His keen observation of teen and young adult behaviour is unequalled among today's filmmakers.

Linklater also has a knack for assembling a gifted ensemble of unknown actors and fresh faces. There is a natural rapport among the actors in "Everybody Wants Some"...one of whom is the hockey-playing son of Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn.

Oh, and ignore the trailer. Linklater's movies can't be reduced to an easy marketing hook. His movies are always better than the trailer makes them seem to be.

Linklater is also a Led Zeppelin fan and his movies usually have a Led Zeppelin reference. There are a couple Led Zeppelin references in "Everybody Wants Some"...including a very Jimmy Page-specific reference that will bring a smile of triumph to those knowledgeable enough to spot it.

Bonus prize to the first person who posts the answer here on this thread.

Make sure you don't miss the beginning...and stay thru the end credits.

I don't think I'll be seeing that one until maybe it's on cable or something. Doesn't look nearly as good as it's "spiritual prequel", imo. 

1 hour ago, Sathington Willoughby said:

I don't think I'll be seeing that one until maybe it's on cable or something. Doesn't look nearly as good as it's "spiritual prequel", imo. 

Like I said...don't judge it by its trailer. I felt the same way when I saw the trailer, i.e. "it doesn't look as good as 'Dazed & Confused'". I thought it was going to be stupid.

Boy, was I surprised how much I enjoyed it. I think you will be, too.

One thing that helps is that Linklater and I are practically the same age. He is 55 and I am almost 54...we grew up in the same time period.