I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

On 11/1/2018 at 1:33 PM, Stryder1978 said:

Just finished watching "Bohemian Rhapsody".  Maybe my expectations were too high, but I was NOT impressed.  They even had Queen performing "Fat Bottom Girls" in 1973!!!  With the angst Freddie was going through in the 80's, I expected some emotion from the actor...but alas, none materialized.  Queen is my second favorite band, just behind Hanson....JUST KIDDING....and I found this an unemotional rockumentary.

I'll see it just because I want to judge for myself where it falls in the music biopic rankings. But I have a feeling your words are pretty close to the mark. Looks less like a "Walk the Line" or "Ray" and more like that horrible Jimi Hendrix biopic or the Vinyl show on HBO.

On 11/1/2018 at 9:33 PM, Stryder1978 said:

Just finished watching "Bohemian Rhapsody".  Maybe my expectations were too high, but I was NOT impressed.  They even had Queen performing "Fat Bottom Girls" in 1973!!!  With the angst Freddie was going through in the 80's, I expected some emotion from the actor...but alas, none materialized.  Queen is my second favorite band, just behind Hanson....JUST KIDDING....and I found this an unemotional rockumentary.

Do they play the original Queen music in the movie? I can't stand a WWRY-Queen-Musical like imitation of their music.

23 hours ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

Yes, folks! This is the BIG one! Been waiting for this for a couple of years, at least! It's releasing on the 16th (where I live). Barely two weeks to go. 

Been a Queen fan, practically all my life, for 28 years now to be precise (since I was barely 3 years old!)

In life, there are moments that stick with you forever. One of those moments, was watching a VHS copy of Queen Greatest Flix! Still have it after all these years. 

Don't care what the critics say. Don't care about the historical inaccuracies! Nothing can dampen my enthusiasm as it's Queen (my second favourite band of all time, only after the mighty Rush)!!!

Made watching Queen Greatest Flix! you a fan? Or what moment turned you into a Queen fan at such a young age? I try to imagine a toddler dancing on We will rock you, very cute.

I have a song that sticks with me from a very young age, I was maybe 5 or 6 years old. It's La mer by Charles Trenet. There are no words to express my love for this song.

2 hours ago, LedZed66 said:

Do they play the original Queen music in the movie? I can't stand a WWRY-Queen-Musical like imitation of their music.

Brian and Roger are involved with the movie so it does have the Queen music.

25 minutes ago, Strider said:

Brian and Roger are involved with the movie so it does have the Queen music.

We saw it last night with a group of friends and had a post movie Queen celebration here at casa de Walter, playing the tribute concert, live aid set, etc till the wee hours of the morning. We all loved the movie and thought the pace of it was perfect. Without being a spoiler, it ended at the appropriate time in freddy’s life. Music was great, the actor playing Freddy had the mannerisms in his facial gestures down perfectly, had the gleam in his eye down well, the actors that played the rest of the band were good also. I really thought it was very well done. Hope you enjoy it too! Plus kiwi (and anyone else) of course!! 

3 hours ago, LedZed66 said:

I have a song that sticks with me from a very young age, I was maybe 5 or 6 years old. It's La mer by Charles Trenet. There are no words to express my love for this
song.

I always think of 'Mr. Bean's Holiday' when I hear that song. Bobby Darin does a good version too.

The Queen icon snare drum made by Drum Workshop.

DREX6514SSGQU-large.jpg

On 11/3/2018 at 12:55 PM, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

I just love Lady Gaga's voice, so this was a no-brainer for me!! B)

My mom's a fan too. Saw this with my parents, this evening. It was great! Very very realistic!

A_Star_is_Born.png

I saw this with my son last weekend and loved it! I hadn't seen any of the other (3?) versions before either.  Also looking forward to seeing the Queen film; haven't seen it yet but it's on my list!

On 11/4/2018 at 10:04 PM, LedZed66 said:

Made watching Queen Greatest Flix! you a fan? Or what moment turned you into a Queen fan at such a young age? I try to imagine a toddler dancing on We will rock you, very cute.

I have a song that sticks with me from a very young age, I was maybe 5 or 6 years old. It's La mer by Charles Trenet. There are no words to express my love for this song.

I have been a Queen fan since November, 1990 (I was barely 3 years old). :D It all started with my dad playing Queen songs from a mix of compilation albums (like Queen : Greatest Hits) and studio albums like The Game

It all changed for me when I first set eyes on Queen Greatest Flix. My dad had a VHS copy, which we have since converted into a VCD (we have a friend who is a wizard at this). This VCD copy has become something of a family heirloom! Watching Greatest Flix was one of my earliest and most vivid memories, growing up! I sometimes, cannot believe hat this memory has stuck with me for all these years! Especially loved the video for the song Save Me (the beautiful art work and the lovely white dove! :wub:).

I also vividly remember other favourite tunes that I used to listen to very often, as a kid: We Didn't Start The Fire - Billy Joel, Bennett Cerf - The Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet and Lisa Bonita - Madonna

On 11/5/2018 at 2:29 AM, Virginia said:

I saw this with my son last weekend and loved it! I hadn't seen any of the other (3?) versions before either.  Also looking forward to seeing the Queen film; haven't seen it yet but it's on my list!

Will be seeing the Queen movie on the 16th! So excited! :D When will you be watching it, Virginia?

The songs on A Star Is Born were so good. I am planning on buying the original soundtrack CD! :) 

14 hours ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

Will be seeing the Queen movie on the 16th! So excited! :D When will you be watching it, Virginia?

The songs on A Star Is Born were so good. I am planning on buying the original soundtrack CD! :) 

I'm not sure yet; if not this weekend hopefully next! 

They really were; I may have to do that too!

On 11/4/2018 at 9:18 PM, redrum said:

I always think of 'Mr. Bean's Holiday' when I hear that song. Bobby Darin does a good version too.

The Queen icon snare drum made by Drum Workshop.

yeah, great use of the song in Mr. Bean's Holiday

On 11/6/2018 at 12:16 PM, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

I have been a Queen fan since November, 1990 (I was barely 3 years old). :D It all started with my dad playing Queen songs from a mix of compilation albums (like Queen : Greatest Hits) and studio albums like The Game

It all changed for me when I first set eyes on Queen Greatest Flix. My dad had a VHS copy, which we have since converted into a VCD (we have a friend who is a wizard at this). This VCD copy has become something of a family heirloom! Watching Greatest Flix was one of my earliest and most vivid memories, growing up! I sometimes, cannot believe hat this memory has stuck with me for all these years! Especially loved the video for the song Save Me (the beautiful art work and the lovely white dove! :wub:).

I also vividly remember other favourite tunes that I used to listen to very often, as a kid: We Didn't Start The Fire - Billy Joel, Bennett Cerf - The Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet and Lisa Bonita - Madonna

Sounds like great memories. My father hated the music I was playing, we were fighting about it constandly. Horrible.
In November 1990 I left my hometown and moved to the big city. Spread your wings and fly away? Well, I did it.

On 11/4/2018 at 6:51 AM, Strider said:

I'll see it just because I want to judge for myself where it falls in the music biopic rankings. But I have a feeling your words are pretty close to the mark. Looks less like a "Walk the Line" or "Ray" and more like that horrible Jimi Hendrix biopic or the Vinyl show on HBO.

I am a bit wary of biopics of musicians, and this one seems to have had a "troubled history". I not sure exactly is it about the band or Freddie Mercury, anyway I am sure sticking a Queen song will cover up any narrative shortcomings.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, redrum said:

I've gotta see that.

It is brilliant! Do watch it! I have decided to buy the DVD! 

What sets this apart from other WWI documentaries, is not only the colour footage but the narration! It is through the eyes of soldiers who lived through it! 

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

2 hours ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

It is brilliant! Do watch it! I have decided to buy the DVD! 

What sets this apart from other WWI documentaries, is not only the colour footage but the narration! It is through the eyes of soldiers who lived through it! 

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

My friend Brian's Grandmother was on the set of the filming of 'Spencer's Mountain' back in 1962. Not sure, but he believes she was an extra on the set. That's her on the right with James Macarthur. I have others I will post later with Henry Fonda, Maureen O'Hara, Wally Cox and Donald Crisp.

SPENCER-2.jpg