Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
bigstickbonzo

I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

1 hour ago, Strider said:

I am curious, redrum, did you finish watching the film? You might enjoy this 1964 film by Mikhail Kalatozov (best known for "The Cranes Are Flying")..."I  Am Cuba". 

I still have some to watch. The beautiful little kids watching the magic show and that was a hell of a bottle opener they used. The coal mining and rushing water is amazing. They work hard and play hard. So much to see. I'll check this one out too. Thanks.

On 10/13/2018 at 9:27 PM, apantherfrommd said:

We watched it a couple weeks ago. It was phenomenal cinematography especially for it's time.

Your honesty in your reviews is always appreciated. You're my fav on this thread.

The Conspiracy movie on how they planned it wasn't bad either. I wish it had been longer. Thank you very many.

You are welcome. We just watched 'GOTTI' with John Travolta. "Lemme aks you a qwistion!" 😄

7 hours ago, redrum said:

You are welcome. We just watched 'GOTTI' with John Travolta. "Lemme aks you a qwistion!" 😄

Travolta has turned into a pumpkin.

On 9/14/2018 at 3:24 PM, Strider said:

Nic Cage in full gonzo mode and Linus Roache matching him. Amazing cinematography and lighting and a crushing score by the late, great Jóhann Jóhannsson. If Black Sabbath made a movie it would be "Mandy". THIS is the movie to see right now!

"Nic Cage" and "the movie to see right now" sounds very strange in the same sentence, but I'll have to check this out.

13 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

"Nic Cage" and "the movie to see right now" sounds very strange in the same sentence, but I'll have to check this out.

Agreed. Nic Cage has done a lot of straight to video crap over the years. I had pretty much given up on him. I guess some core of talent remained...it just required the right director and script to bring it out.

4 hours ago, Strider said:

maxresdefault-12.jpg

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:16 AM, Strider said:

I don't like divulging too much about a movie to people who haven't seen it. On top of that, I didn't have enough time to write more than a sentence or two. It's the weekend and people generally are looking for something to see and I felt like adding a suggestion. People who follow this thread are conversant enough with my tastes to know whether to trust my recommendations or not.

Basic plot of "Dragged Across Concrete": Mel Gibson and Vince Vaughn play cops who are tired of the bureaucratic bullshit that comes with the job. They are overworked and underpaid. Mel wants to move his family out of the crappy neighborhood they live in but on his salary, that's not likely. He then thinks he has found a way out and convinces Vince Vaughn to help him with his plan. To put it mildly, things don't go as planned.

Fair enough. I do appreciate this review, and the fact that you don't give much away. :goodpost: Thank you, Strider.

9 hours ago, Strider said:

I'm sorry to see someone is oranger than the Don.

As much as I love Sci-Fi, I think Travolta went downhill starting with Battlefield Earth. He was outside of his role and unrecognizable.
I'm not knocking the story, which was subpar. It was a walk-out movie. I'm hoping that pumpkins are more popular in October, then when this came out in the theaters. I haven't seen it yet.

First movie was 1978, I think. The had 3 or 4 in the 80's, a few in the 90's a couple in the 2000's.

This series, I believe would the first horror series to have the original protagonist spanning within 5 different decades! :lol: Rock On Halloween! I hope it's good.

(3:17- Stolen from Jimmy Page)

Edited by apantherfrommd

7 minutes ago, apantherfrommd said:

I'm sorry to see someone is oranger than the Don.

As much as I love Sci-Fi, I think Travolta went downhill starting with Battlefield Earth. He was outside of his role and unrecognizable.
I'm not knocking the story, which was subpar. It was a walk-out movie. I'm hoping that pumpkins are more popular in October, then when this came out in the theaters. I haven't seen it yet.

First movie was 1978, I think. The had 3 or 4 in the 80's, a few in the 90's a couple in the 2000's.

This series, I believe would the first horror series to have the original protagonist spanning within 5 different decades! :lol: Rock On Halloween! I hope it's good.

I have heard some good word-of-mouth on the new "Halloween". I had a pass to see it at the premiere but it conflicted with another concert I had to attend, so I haven't seen it yet.

This apparently is meant to be a straight sequel to the original "Halloween" from 1978...40 years later. I guess you are supposed to forget all the other Halloween movies made in between and pretend they never existed.

Edited by Strider

Thank you. It will be cheaper to own it when it comes out. I can't stand when writers are too lazy to stick or add to script.

Horror insults my intelligence anyway, but being a completest, I'll have to watch it. At least I can avoid going to this one.

I caught a screening of The Wolf Man (1941) over the weekend at the newest Alamo Drafthouse to open near me. First time seeing it on the big screen, of course it was FANTASTIC!

This Sunday is 1931's Dracula . Hopefully I can make it.

20181014_171048.jpg

I caught a screening of John Carpenter's,  The Fog last night. Restored in 4k, (whatever that means) . Prior to the movie they showed several shorts along with John Carpenter's Puppet Man short film. That was an unexpected added treat. 

While I'm not the biggest Carpenter fan, I love his film scores. Hearing his music on a theater sound system was very cool.

Screenshot_20181027-202833_Alamo.jpg

MV5BNzA3NzI2Mjk5Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTU3NDY3NzE@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

I suppose it's a film, but we watched the new Adam Sandler stand-up show and it was frikkin' hilarious. He did a great tribute to Chris Farley too and Sandler is not a bad guitar player either. Some parts to look for:

Smelly Uber Driver

Big Nut Sacks

Station 69

😄

Just finished watching "Bohemian Rhapsody".  Maybe my expectations were too high, but I was NOT impressed.  They even had Queen performing "Fat Bottom Girls" in 1973!!!  With the angst Freddie was going through in the 80's, I expected some emotion from the actor...but alas, none materialized.  Queen is my second favorite band, just behind Hanson....JUST KIDDING....and I found this an unemotional rockumentary.

I just love Lady Gaga's voice, so this was a no-brainer for me!! B)

My mom's a fan too. Saw this with my parents, this evening. It was great! Very very realistic!

A_Star_is_Born.png

Yes, folks! This is the BIG one! Been waiting for this for a couple of years, at least! It's releasing on the 16th (where I live). Barely two weeks to go. 

Been a Queen fan, practically all my life, for 28 years now to be precise (since I was barely 3 years old!)

In life, there are moments that stick with you forever. One of those moments, was watching a VHS copy of Queen Greatest Flix! Still have it after all these years. 

Don't care what the critics say. Don't care about the historical inaccuracies! Nothing can dampen my enthusiasm as it's Queen (my second favourite band of all time, only after the mighty Rush)!!! 

On 11/1/2018 at 1:33 PM, Stryder1978 said:

Just finished watching "Bohemian Rhapsody".  Maybe my expectations were too high, but I was NOT impressed.  They even had Queen performing "Fat Bottom Girls" in 1973!!!  With the angst Freddie was going through in the 80's, I expected some emotion from the actor...but alas, none materialized.  Queen is my second favorite band, just behind Hanson....JUST KIDDING....and I found this an unemotional rockumentary.

I'll see it just because I want to judge for myself where it falls in the music biopic rankings. But I have a feeling your words are pretty close to the mark. Looks less like a "Walk the Line" or "Ray" and more like that horrible Jimi Hendrix biopic or the Vinyl show on HBO.

On 11/1/2018 at 9:33 PM, Stryder1978 said:

Do they play the original Queen music in the movie? I can't stand a WWRY-Queen-Musical like imitation of their music.

23 hours ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

Yes, folks! This is the BIG one! Been waiting for this for a couple of years, at least! It's releasing on the 16th (where I live). Barely two weeks to go. 

Been a Queen fan, practically all my life, for 28 years now to be precise (since I was barely 3 years old!)

In life, there are moments that stick with you forever. One of those moments, was watching a VHS copy of Queen Greatest Flix! Still have it after all these years. 

Don't care what the critics say. Don't care about the historical inaccuracies! Nothing can dampen my enthusiasm as it's Queen (my second favourite band of all time, only after the mighty Rush)!!!

Made watching Queen Greatest Flix! you a fan? Or what moment turned you into a Queen fan at such a young age? I try to imagine a toddler dancing on We will rock you, very cute.

I have a song that sticks with me from a very young age, I was maybe 5 or 6 years old. It's La mer by Charles Trenet. There are no words to express my love for this song.

2 hours ago, LedZed66 said:

Do they play the original Queen music in the movie? I can't stand a WWRY-Queen-Musical like imitation of their music.

Brian and Roger are involved with the movie so it does have the Queen music.

25 minutes ago, Strider said:

Brian and Roger are involved with the movie so it does have the Queen music.

We saw it last night with a group of friends and had a post movie Queen celebration here at casa de Walter, playing the tribute concert, live aid set, etc till the wee hours of the morning. We all loved the movie and thought the pace of it was perfect. Without being a spoiler, it ended at the appropriate time in freddy’s life. Music was great, the actor playing Freddy had the mannerisms in his facial gestures down perfectly, had the gleam in his eye down well, the actors that played the rest of the band were good also. I really thought it was very well done. Hope you enjoy it too! Plus kiwi (and anyone else) of course!! 

3 hours ago, LedZed66 said:

I have a song that sticks with me from a very young age, I was maybe 5 or 6 years old. It's La mer by Charles Trenet. There are no words to express my love for this
song.

I always think of 'Mr. Bean's Holiday' when I hear that song. Bobby Darin does a good version too.

The Queen icon snare drum made by Drum Workshop.

DREX6514SSGQU-large.jpg

On 11/3/2018 at 12:55 PM, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

I just love Lady Gaga's voice, so this was a no-brainer for me!! B)

My mom's a fan too. Saw this with my parents, this evening. It was great! Very very realistic!

A_Star_is_Born.png

I saw this with my son last weekend and loved it! I hadn't seen any of the other (3?) versions before either.  Also looking forward to seeing the Queen film; haven't seen it yet but it's on my list!