I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

Hi all,

That was already done in 'Conquest of the Planet of the Apes' (1972).Different angle.

Good reviews in the new film.Andy Srekis as Caesar,.....

KB

Andy Serkis who played Gollum and Kong is playing Ceaser. Nothing will top the 1968 original, but this looks real strong. I hope it does real well at the box office.

The Tim Burton "remake" was a big disappointment.. and I'm a Burton fan.. Ed Wood is one of my all time favorites.

Great scenes from 'Napoleon Dynamite'

The Time Machine

The Rex Kwan-Do class

Uncle Rico throwing the steak at Napoleon

Napoleon feeding Tina

Napoleon's failed bike jump

Napoleon's dance scene

Pedro's head getting too hot

Napoleon's drawing of Trisha

I love this movie and bought it on Amazon for 49 cents and also got the cd soundtrack for 11 cents ($3 to ship each) but still worth it.

:D

Napoleon is one of my FAVORITE movies. I quote lines from it all the time. Like at work. :D

I finally saw The King's Speech and Rango last night. I liked them both.

I also watched Adam and Steve, which I could have done without. It was too cheesy for me.

Edited by manderlyh

51Y8Rf9q-iL._SX500_.jpg

Even though Rise of the Planet of the Apes doesn't necessarily adhere very closely to the original films or the novel by Pierre Boulle, it is somewhat drawn from this movie, when the apes begin to revolt against mankind. Even though I own the complete box set (including a making of documentary called Behind the Planet of the Apes), my interest in the movies drops off significantly following Escape from the Planet of the Apes. Still, I thought it worth revisiting this one just out of curiosity's sake and yes, it's just as bad as I remember. The one saving grace is Roddy McDowell himself who does a splendid job in the lead role as Cesar. The movie itself comes across as hokey and heavy handed, just as I remembered it but it was still worth revisiting just for fun.

51qsG9GDsCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I knew next to nothing about this one going in and to be honest, had never even heard of it before seeing it on the shelf at my local Blockbuster. It's not your typical sci-fi tale and is definitely worth the cost of a rental but I can't think of much else to say about it beyond that without giving too much of it away. It's certainly one of those films that the less you know about it before watching it, the better as it has some very intriguing twists and turns that you may not catch onto at first.

510XAPkT03L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This one wasn't quite as good as I was expecting but it's still well worth watching, particularly for anyone that's moved by the connection they have to music. The downside to it to me is that it felt more like a poorly executed movie of the week than the indie gem it touts itself to be. Still a good movie though, and very emotionally moving.

Looking forward to seeing this over the weekend but I do admit to having my reservations about it, especially after Tim Burton's film from a few years back. Pop Matters gives the new one a pretty good review which you can read here.

My Wife and I saw Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes last night.. We loved it. Great story line, nice subtle tributes to the 1968 film, Charlton Heston and Arthur P Jacobs. Great acting all around. Don't let the Tim Burton version scare you away from this... it's totally different... and much better.

Just saw Battle: Los Angeles.

Pretty awesome.

All I can say is, MARINES! HOO-RAH!

It's kick-ass and I loved it.

(Sorry, Strider, I'm a neanderthal when it comes to movies. lulz)

battle_los_angeles_poster.jpg

Hey man, don't pigeonhole me! :lol: :lol:

I don't just watch foreign or old classics...I like to take in a good action or mindless comedy flick every now and then, too. Ummm, have to say Battle LA didn't quite do it for me, as much as I wanted to like it...I'm a big fan of Aaron Eckhart's work.

Anyway, what brings me here now is another crazy-looking program scheduled for Sunday night at the Cinefamily@Silent Movie Theatre.

I already mentioned the amazing Pulp documentary I saw there the other night in my PULP thread in the Other Bands/Music section.

Sunday night is something else entirely:

LIVING LIGHT:

An Evening With Linda Perhacs & Friends

Sunday, August 14th | 7:30pm

Co-presented by L.A. Record, Dublab, Los Angeles Filmforum & The iotaCenter

The twinship between color and sound has captivated artists for centuries. Across film, dance, fine art and music, creators have long sought to convey the harmony between light, movement, and tone that reverberates through nature; it is this synesthetic vision that inspired turned psych-folk songstress Linda Perhacs to record her now mythic 1970 album “Parallelograms”. Crafting transcendental tonal illustrations within the seemingly simple trappings of late-’60s song structures, Linda plumbed the same well of inspiration that drove pioneering filmmakers to eschew representational cinema for a purer way of illustrating the symbiosis of the senses. Join us as we celebrate these visual and sonic explorers, with a rare live set from Ms. Perhacs and her band (featuring selections from “Parallelograms” and new material exclusively debuted at Cinefamily), as well as a selection of boundary-pushing cinema from the masters of the synesthetic form, new video works commissioned for the show, and live dance accompaniment from world-renowned dancer/choreographer Ryan Heffington!

Watch our trailer for "Living Light: An Evening With Linda Perhacs And Friends"!

Tickets - $12/free for members

I watched "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" recently and thought it was pretty good. The leading lady's POV was a bit wooden but I guess there has to be that opposing 'just because you can doesn't mean you should' voice of reason to contrast with the great advances made by the scientist. Set up nicely for a sequel... CG effects, particularly in showing heightened intelligence/awareness in the apes, was phenomenal.

Also watched "Perfume: The Story of a Murderer". Disturbing how far passion can drive a person. Beautiful to watch. Sort of a synaesthetic experience because the visuals have to convey how exquisite the perfume really must be. Ben Whishaw (plays the main character Jean-Baptiste Grenouille) is great in this movie.

I saw the new Apes movie this weekend. I say it's the best Ape movie since the original with C. Heston.

I can't imagine anyone under 30 not liking this action flick.

Just good theater fun. You can't get this same effect in any home theater, try as you may...

Stay to the very end after the credits begin, to get the whole story...

I give it 3 out 5. But, a Very Good 3.

Best Movie of the Summer, imo.

A couple of recommendations made by one of the clerks at the local Blockbuster. I enjoyed them both but found the first one (Taken) to be more than just a little predictable. Law Abiding Citizen called for the total suspension of disbelief a number of times and was a bit more graphic than expected. If revenge flicks are your cup of tea both of these movies should be right up your alley.

41UzZq4xfnL._SL500_AA300_.jpg51Y0HZC8LnL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Hmmm, according to my date planner, I've seen 32 movies over the summer...no time or sense describing them all, I suppose. Besides, just when I've seen one another is coming up ahead.

Lately, I've been immersed in a flood of Gallic culture. Cinefamily has been showing some very cool artifacts from the French Pop explosion of the Sixties, and last nigth I was at the Serge Gainsbourg Tribute Concert at the Hollywood Bowl(which I will have to post about in the concert thread in Other Bands/Music section...it was a stunning show!).

This week, there are two more cool French documentaries that Cinefamily is showing.

Tonight is:

An Evening With Jean-Claude Vannier in person...Live Q&A with French pop's greatest arranger!

8/29 - 8PM $12/free for members Co-presented by Finders Keepers Records/B-Music

Vanniers string and choral arrangements have a total sense of OTHERNESS and are indeed unlike anyone elses. Tim Gane, Stereolab

If youve ever in your life heard French pop music from the last four decades that moved you, then youve been touched by the genius of Jean-Claude Vannier. JCVs not only responsible for arrangements for virtually every Gallic pop star of note (from Gainsbourg to Francoise Hardy, Michel Polnareff, Brigitte Fontaine, Jane Birkin and Gilbert Becaud, to name but a handful), but also for several startling and wholly unique albums under his own name, and countless French film and television soundtracks to boot! Jean-Claudes done it all, has collaborated with all, knows everyone in the whole of French music and (can you believe it?) will be with us live on the Cinefamily stage, for an in-depth Q&A moderated by Andy Votel of Finders Keepers Records that takes us on a guided tour of his impeccable career. Youll also see clips from films Jean-Claude has scored, his early-70s work with fashion maven Yves St. Laurent, and youll hear some exclusive tracks from Jean-Claudes two new LPs on Finders Keepers. No tried-and-true music fan can go without missing this one-of-a-kind special night!

Make sure to see Jean-Claude Vannier, appearing with Beck, Sean Lennon, Mike Patton, and more at the Hollywood Bowl on the Serge Gainsbourg Tribute, Sunday, August 28! Go to http://hollywoodbowl.com/serge for tickets and information.

Watch Jean Claude Vanniers LEnfant La Mouche Et Les Allumettes accompanying the 1971 Yves Saint-Laurent fashion line!

Then, from August 30 to September 2, the Cinefamily is having multiple screenings of a French Television documentary on Serge Gainsbourg never screened in Los Angeles, and possibly the U.S. before:

Gainsbourg And His Girls

An essential doc look at the seductive provocateur!

8/30 - 7:30PM & 10:00PM

8/31 - 10:45PM

9/1 - 7:30PM & 10:00PM

9/2 - 10:00PM

$10/free for members

The Captain had Tennille, Buckingham had Nicks and Gainsbourg had Birkin, Bardot, Deneuve, Karina, Hardy, Gall, Greco, Adjani, Faithfull, Paradis, Barbara, Bambou, Dalida, etc. The CD collection of people who have sung the songs of Serge over the years could comprise a whopping 4-disc set of 98 tracks, with easily over 90% of them by women. Gainsbourgs been called a scoundrel, pervert and misogynist, yet female singers in France felt it a seminal moment in their career to sing a song penned by the rogue. For the breezy, hip-shaking feature documentary Gainsbourg And His Girls, filmmakers Didier Varrod and Pascal Forner raided the archives of INA (Institute Nationale Audio-Visuel), where pretty much all of nationally-owned French TV from the early 60s and onwards is held. And boy, was nationally-owned French TV ever cool! Comprised entirely of luxurious file footage, the interviews of Serge throughout his career in display are substantive, and at times conducted by other artists like Françoise Hardy or Jane Birkin. This is an essential deep look at the artist who most Americans only know of through his sly, seductive provocateur mask. Join us for the L.A. premiere of this fantastic new documentary!

Dirs. Didier Varrod & Pascal Forneri, 2010, digital presentation, 105 min.

Watch Cinefamilys trailer for Gainsbourg And His Girls!

http://vimeo.com/27930561

Well, apparently vimeo won't let their clips show up so if you don't want to click over to their site, here is the original French trailer for the documentary that I found on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ORsYZo967o

Edited by Strider