I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

51oKTzhYP6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Based on reactions I've read on various boards about this movie, I was halfway expecting not to like it. Thankfully, that didn't turn out to be the case. Perhaps those that were disappointed in it were expecting something far different, like a thriller or something.

I watched this recently and I liked it a lot more than I was expecting to. It's very much a human story with hardly any CGI except for the opening sequence.

I saw this the other night and I thought it was really good. The directing sytle is very similar to a Hitchcock film, edge-of-your seat stuff.

julias-eyes1.jpg

Edited by Magic Fills the Air

51j%2BxEbOUhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg51ttzngyKhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Horrible Bosses was way more funnier than I was expecting, especially given the dark tone. Bad Teacher? Not so much.

You're a step ahead of me.

Saw Bad Teacher last night.

Fairly funny, I love the Gym Teacher (Jason Segel?) - he's hilarious.

I'll order Horrible Bosses sometime this weekend for sure.

As I said in my rant about Halloween earlier, there is one thing I do look forward to doing every year at this time: taking my godson to the Dusk-to-Dawn Halloween Horrorthon at the American Cinematheque. An entire night of movies, food, drinks, candy, pillows, blankets, contests and just random craziness...you should see us the next day, haha. Walking zombies.

I took him to his first one 5 years ago and he's been hooked ever since...we've never missed one yet. In fact, one year he won a Free Lifetime Pass to every Horrorthon. Here's the line-up of films that we saw this year.

6th Annual Dusk-To-Dawn Horrorthon

Saturday, October 29, 2011 7:30pm - 6:30am

Spend all night at the Aero Theatre’s sixth annual Horrorthon! Complete with between-film free food, giveaways, trailers, crazy shorts and surprises!

PET SEMATARY, 1989, Paramount Pictures, 103 min. Dir. Mary Lambert. Devoted family man Louis Creed is devastated when his son is killed in a horrible accident - but he soon learns that bringing his son back to life has some terrifying side effects in this Stephen King classic.

TOURIST TRAP, 1979, Compass International Pictures, 90 min. Dir. David Schmoeller. A group of friends enters a mysterious remote museum, only to discover that it’s owned by a murderous stalker. With Chuck Connors.

THE PIT, 1981, New World Pictures, 97 min. Dir. Lew Lehman. Lonely Jamie Benjamin is the butt of jokes and harassment - until he makes a discovery deep in the forest that enables him to exact violent revenge against those who have wronged him. One of the strangest horror films of the '80s.

VIDEODROME, 1983, Universal, 87 min. One of director David Cronenberg’s most disturbing, subversive thrillers. While searching for programs to boost ratings on his small cable station, jaded Max Renn (James Woods) becomes hooked on an underground TV show, “Videodrome,” that may be a genuine snuff video. But tracking down its source proves dangerous as lifelike hallucinations kick in - skewing Max’s very concept of reality, and his new girlfriend, talk-show host,Nikki Brand (Blondie's Deborah Harry), goes missing. "Long live the new flesh!"

ALICE SWEET ALICE (aka COMMUNION), 1976, Warner Bros., 98 min. Dir. Alfred Sole. Karen (a very young Brooke Shields) is strangled on the day of her first communion, and her older sister Alice becomes the prime suspect.

Beautiful U.K. Print! 8 Extra Minutes! JUST BEFORE DAWN, 1981, Picturmedia, 90 min. Dir. Jeff Lieberman. The director of SQUIRM brings us this entry in the Woodsploitation subgenre made famous by DELIVERANCE, SOUTHERN COMFORT, and HUNTER'S BLOOD. This time, a group of young campers find themselves face to face with a murderous mountain man and angry hillbillies.

The California Edison people tried to shut us down around midnight...apparently there was a mix-up with the city and the Edison people about dates and shit...but after a half-hour of arguing, they agreed to keep the theatre's power on while blacking out the rest of the block. So, with that delay, it actually didn't end until around 8:00am Sunday morning.

A few hours sleep and a little football later(watched the replay of the previous night's USC-Stanford triple-OT thriller), I was at LACMA's "Price-a-thon", a Vincent Price movie marathon in honour of his centennial at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. Tim Burton's exhibit is also closing at midnight tonight. I missed the first two movies in the marathon, but they were ones I have seen endless times before, so no big deal.

Here was the line-up of the Vincent Price marathon last night:

Series: Price-a-thon 100!

Tingler_1959_4.jpg

Just in time for Halloween, LACMA will screen six ghoulish classics back-to-back, all starring Burton idol Vincent Price in honor of his centenary. Heir to a candy fortune, educated at Yale on art history and trained on the London stage, Price found his métier in fright features playing tormented masterminds and menacing lords. Starting with Andre de Doth’s House of Wax, in which Price plays an anguished sculptor with a ghastly secret, Price cemented his stature as a fixture of the macabre with Kurt Neumann’s still chilling The Fly. But, as David Thomson writes, Price “surveyed the horror genre as if it were a tray of eclairs.” Among Price’s gothic delicacies are several iconic Edgar Alan Poe adaptations directed by Roger Corman in lollipop colors and eye-filing CinemaScope and William Castle’s campy entertainment The Tingler. But there’s nothing funny about Price’s cold-blooded ruthlessness in cult film Witchfinder General, in which he stars as a small-town tyrant in 17th-century rural England. In addition to his nearly 200 film and television credits, Price was an avid art collector and connoisseur who launched The Vincent Price Art Collection with Sears Roebuck and in 1951 began donating items from his personal collection to the East Los Angeles Community College, where much of it hangs in the newly-redesigned Vincent Price Art Museum.

All Screenings | Free, no reservations

PRICEpit.jpg

The Pit and the Pendulum

October 30, 2011 | 1:00pm

PRICEmasque.jpg

The Masque of Red Death

October 30, 2011 | 2:30pm

PRICEwax.jpg

House of Wax

October 30, 2011 | 4:10pm

PRICEtingler.jpg

The Tingler

October 30, 2011 | 6:00pm

PRICEfly.jpg

The Fly

October 30, 2011 | 7:30pm

PRICEwitchfinder.jpg

Witchfinder General (aka Conqueror Worm)

October 30, 2011 | 9:15pm

Edited by Strider

51f34GSeBXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I haven't been in a big hurry to see this movie because, even though I didn't know for sure, I had an inkling as to how it ends. Well, that inkling turned out to be true and makes for some very difficult viewing but it turned out to be very well worth it.

510Q0PP9PJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Not exactly sure what I was thinking when I rented this or if I was even thinking at all. It has a few laughs but nothing worthy of redeeming the entire movie.

61smmUGqjBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I was a bit hesitant to rent this one because of all the poor reviews I read about it last summer, not just from critics but from fans. After having watched it, I have to wonder what it was about it that they hated so much. Personally, I loved it and found it to be among the better entries in the Pirates series.

51f34GSeBXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I haven't been in a big hurry to see this movie because, even though I didn't know for sure, I had an inkling as to how it ends. Well, that inkling turned out to be true and makes for some very difficult viewing but it turned out to be very well worth it.

Pretty good soundtrack, too, by Eddie Vedder...and I say that as someone who is not a big Pearl Jam fan. I saw this on the big screen when it was released, so I was always curious as to whether it loses something seeing it on a tv screen; like watching 2001 or Lawrence of Arabia on tv.

I guess the fact that you liked it suggests it doesn't.

510Q0PP9PJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Not exactly sure what I was thinking when I rented this or if I was even thinking at all. It has a few laughs but nothing worthy of redeeming the entire movie.

61smmUGqjBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I was a bit hesitant to rent this one because of all the poor reviews I read about it last summer, not just from critics but from fans. After having watched it, I have to wonder what it was about it that they hated so much. Personally, I loved it and found it to be among the better entries in the Pirates series.

Regarding Tuxedo: :blink: WTF WERE you thinking, indeed!

As for Pirates, I saw the first two, didn't bother with the third, and only saw this latest one because of my godson...thank god for Penelope Cruz, or I would have fallen asleep. And the whole 'Keef as pirate' metaphor has been beaten to death...yawn.

I'm going to need to watch Into the Wild again. The disc was damaged (one of the downsides of renting) so I missed the entire segment with Vince Vaughan as well as another chunk of the movie when my DVD player was "skipping over damaged area". As much as I enjoyed the movie, I'm in no real hurry to watch it again because of the dire subject matter. On the upside, I did enjoy it enough that I would like to own a copy someday so when I get around to purchasing it, I'll watch it again. As for the soundtrack, I'm a pretty big Pearl Jam fan so it's a wonder I don't already own it.

In regards to the latest Pirates movie, I can't say I ever felt bored by it. I also think having Keith Richards in it is a nice touch, especially since Johnny Depp has always said he based his character on a cross between Keith and Pepé Le Pew. So far, Keith's appearances in the movies have been relegated to cameo status so it doesn't really bother me. Plus, I think he's only been in two of them so far. Nothing about that really gets under my skin at all, I think he fits in perfectly.

Yeah, didn't know what I was getting into with Tuxedo but not every movie you rent is going to be a winner.

Edited by Jahfin

51LCh494niL._SX500_.jpg

This movie is of the "you either love it or you hate it" variety, at least judging from the reviews for it at Amazon, most of which either give it one star or 5 stars with very few people taking the middle ground. Although I felt it had some shortcomings, I'd put myself into the love it category. If you are looking for summer blockbuster fare, you will not find it with The Tree of Life. This movie is very slow moving, it's long (139 minutes), has very little dialogue and no discernable plot. On the upside, it's those very factors that allow you to make up your own mind about what the movie is about. I found several aspects of it to be very profound and quite moving, the sort of film that will stay with me long after I've finished watching it. If any of these things pique your interest, I suggest having a look at the trailer: