I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

Color-Me-Obsessed-Postcard.jpg

Caught a screening of this at the Nightlight in Chapel Hill last night thanks to a friend tipping me off to it a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure how they expected anyone to even know about it when there was absolutely no mention of it on the film's official webpage so I'm forever grateful for the tip. This isn't your typical rock n' roll documentary as it includes no live footage or audio from the Replacements, nor are there any interviews with the band members themselves. It's comprised nearly entirely of interviews with friends, fellow performers, critics, writers, former employees of the band and perhaps most importantly, fans. An answering machine (which also figures rather prominently as part of the official website design) serves as a sort of motif for the movie. It also plays a part in a couple of very intriguing twists that take place in the documentary but I won't give those away here. When I first read that the Replacements didn't take part in the film I was admittedly very skeptical but after seeing it I really had no reason to be. Would it have been better if they had participated? Maybe so but it also would have taken the movie in a very different direction. As it stands, it's up to the people interviewed to convey the huge range of emotions one gets from listening to a Replacements song (or seeing them in concert, something I was never fortunate enough to do). In a similar vein, Jim Walsh's book, It's All Over But the Shouting also didn't include any input from the band. In a sense, due to it's unique approach, Color Me Obsessed is like the movie length version of the Replacement's video for "Bastards of Young". For those unfamiliar with that clip the Replacements aren't in it at all, it's a lone shot of a stereo speaker as the song blasts at full volume. Meant more as a fuck you to MTV (as well as their label), it went on to become one of the most iconic videos of all time. One very shining example of how well this minimalist approach works is the interview with fiction writer Robert Voedisch. He makes his points so eloquently and articulately that hearing the music itself almost seems unnecessary. Another example would be the interview with longtime fan Elaine Pan. Her passion for the band is so great that it's all she can do to hold back tears as she relates just how much they mean to her and what a huge impact the Replacements have had on her life.

If you're a Replacements fan, I highly recommend seeing this movie if it's playing in your town (check the website for a list of screenings). If it's not, you can contact your local theatre (preferably one that is indie film friendly) about bringing the movie to your area. For more information on this you can contact the filmmaker, Gorman Berchard, through the film's website. If you're unable to see it have no fear as Gorman says it will be released on DVD in early April. First as a single disc version and later as a deluxe edition that will include lots of outtakes from the film (including an hour long interview with Grant Hart from Hüsker Dü). The original cut had the film running for three hours, the version I saw had been whittled down to around two hours. During a Q & A Gorman did after the screening he mentioned one of his other projects, a documentary on Archers of Loaf that was shot during a two night stand they did at the Cat's Cradle in Carrboro, NC last year. He added that it's more of a concert film but it does include several interview segments. He expressed a desire to do a documentary on them that would be more of a career overview (like the Replacements film) but that is still in the offing at this point.

Edited by Jahfin

I'll keep an eye out for that Mats documentary, Jahfin, as it sounds promising and I loved the band back then. But I'm sorry, an Archers of Loaf documentary? I think I'll pass.

Just came home from seeing the fifth and final Golden Globe nominee for Best Foreign Film. The American Cinematheque screened each of the five nominess this past week, and so I was able to see the three that I hadn't seen yet(I already saw Pedro Almadovar's "The Skin I Live In" and Angelina Jolie's "In the Land of Blood and Honey" last month).

Wednesday was the Iranian film "A Separation", directed by Asghar Farhadi. Excellent film about a couple who divorce and the repurcussions that accidentally ensue when the husband has to hire outside help to watch his Alzheimer-inflicted father.

Thursday was the Dardenne brothers' "The Kid With A Bike", a Belgian film about a boy who looks for the father who abandoned him. This, along with "A Separation", were my favourites of the 5 nominees.

Tonight(Friday) was Zhang Yimou's "The Flowers of War", set during the Rape of Nanjing in 1937 during the Sino-Japanese War. As such, there's some harsh scenes as it deals with brutal events. The most recognizable star is Christian Bale...the film is about evenly split between English and Mandarin and Japanese. But this was not as good as past Zhang films like "Raise the Red Lantern" and "Hero"...considering the subject matter, the film didn't grab me emotionally like it should. It's a trifle too long and Bale's character was a little off-putting...or maybe it was his performance.

As I said, I previously saw the other two nominees, and if I were to rank them in order of preference, it would go like this:

1. (tie) "A Separation"/ "The Kid With a Bike"

2. "The Skin I Live In"

3. "The Flowers of War"

4. "In the Land of Blood and Honey"

As usual, the American Cinematheque is hosting a free symposium tomorrow with all the directors of the nominated films. I won't be going, as since Angelina Jolie will be there, it's going to be a zoo.

Oh, I've seen some turkeys recently, too...they don't deserve the time and space writing about them, but I will just name them so you can be forewarned and not waste your money or time seeing this schlock:

"Jack and Jill" (the people responsible for greenlighting this should rot in hell)

"War Horse"

"My Week with Marilyn"

"I Melt With You"

"Apollo 18"

"New Year's Eve"(coming soon from schlock-meister Gary Marshall: President's Day, Secretary Day, Veterans Day, and the eagerly anticipated Sadie Hawkins Day)

And I'm sure there were plenty more, but apparently in the interest of preserving my sanity, my brain seems to have erased them from my memory. I know there were a couple of recent rom-coms that sucked...this was a particularly bad year for romantic-comedies.

Edited by Strider

I'll keep an eye out for that Mats documentary, Jahfin, as it sounds promising and I loved the band back then. But I'm sorry, an Archers of Loaf documentary? I think I'll pass.

When discussing Icky Mettle, Gorman Bechard was absolutely giddy so I can't fault any music fan for such enthusiasm when describing what is obviously one of their favorite records. Plus, I'm largely unfamiliar with the Archers of Loaf so I don't really have any room to criticize. During the time that the Archers, Superchunk, Ben Folds Five and others from the area were getting their initial recognition it seems that my musical attention was focused elsewhere. During that time period (early to mid nineties) one of the only local bands to register on my radar was Squirrel Nut Zippers. Seems there was an entire era of NC music that I missed out on. I've since heard more of Superchunk's work (and caught a bit of their set during Hopscotch last year) and like what I've heard. As for the Archers, I'm not even sure that I've ever heard a single song of theirs. However I do know a significant amount of people that hold them in high regard. Same for Archers member Eric Bachmann's current band, Crooked Fingers (who just did a show here with Mount Moriah last week).

Since it is literally FREEZING here, outside thermometer reads 13 degrees, I am watching movies til the Globes are on later.

I just finished watching 'The Joneses' with Demi Moore and David Duchovny. If any of you live in surburbia, it's a must see. The pressures portrayed in this film of 'keeping up' are a stark reminder of the American/consumer culture, and how some people will fall for anything.

Lauren Hutton looked amazing, btw. And Duchovny is always easy on the eyes. Never been a fan of Demi, but she's beautiful.

Now that it's morning again, and I've had some caffeine, I want to share probably my favorite scene from 'Iron Lady'..

I agree this was the best scene in the film and the one that I will always remember. Despite the flaws in the film, I think this scene sums up perfectly Thatcher's approach to politics and life in general; it's about thinking of new ideas even if those ideas are often unthinkable to others.

If anyone should see the Grey before I do please let me know if its good? It sounds like another

The EDge the one where Hopkins and Baldwin were trapped in the Alaskan wilderness after their plane crashed? This time instead of a bear chasing them its a pack of wolves. I am also wondering if Contraband is worth seeing. I rarely go to the movies any more. Its damn near eleven dollars, and shit for drinks and all and you can wait two weeks and see it in your living room. Unless its a smash then you must wait longer. I cant keep up they pump them out so fast. Too many shit movies. One good one to 99 garbage ones.

I watched this last night and I left literally speechless:

images4.jpg

After reading reviews, I was expecting a Kubrickian masterpiece. Instead I was left watching the most smug and pretentious film I think I've ever seen. It's not that I didn't get the film's visual metaphors and latent symbolism. For me it just didn't work. Dinosaurs with a sympathetic conscience?! It was so bad I was laughing hysterically at one point.

Edited by Magic Fills the Air

I think one of the greatest things about The Tree of Life is that everyone I've talked to who's seen it has gotten something completely different out of it. There were some people that left the theatre during screenings to people that absolutely loved it (like myself).

I watched this last night and I left literally speechless:

images4.jpg

After reading reviews, I was expecting a Kubrickian masterpiece. Instead I was left watching the most smug and pretentious film I think I've ever seen. It's not that I didn't get the film's visual metaphors and latent symbolism. For me it just didn't work. Dinosaurs with a sympathetic conscience?! It was so bad I was laughing hysterically at one point.

+1 I loved Terrence Malick's early films("Badlands" and "Days of Heaven"), but something happened in that 20 year gap between "Days..." and "Thin Red Line". His movies feel so sterile and ponderous lately...and I'm a guy who likes Ozu and Theo Angelopoulos.

One thing you can count on with Malick's films is that they are visually sumptious with excellent cinematography. But narratively, his last few films have left me cold...I don't feel engaged with the story or the characters at all.

I mean, I'll take Lars Von Trier's end-of-the-world rhapsody "Melancholia" over "Tree of Life" any day...it's funnier for one thing.

That said, "Tree of Life" may be a mess, but at least it's a fascinating mess. Malick is still preferable to a pretentious swill-meister like Paul Haggis.

I think the Gray opens tomorrow? Please post if its good if anyone sees it. Without revealing too much of course.

Haven't seen it yet, but it looks like the kind of fun guilty pleasure Liam Neeson's "Taken" and "Unknown" were. Neeson's role in "Batman Begins" seems to have given his career a second-wind as a tough, action guy.

It's got an 80% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, which is pretty good. A couple reviewers I tend to like have given it good reviews.

It's Liam Neeson and a bunch of guys stranded in the frozen wilderness being hunted by wolves. Oh, and apparently discussing metaphysics.

Last thing you might want to know...it's "The GREY", not Gray...just to avoid confusion.

Haven't seen it yet, but it looks like the kind of fun guilty pleasure Liam Neeson's "Taken" and "Unknown" were. Neeson's role in "Batman Begins" seems to have given his career a second-wind as a tough, action guy.

It's got an 80% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, which is pretty good. A couple reviewers I tend to like have given it good reviews.

It's Liam Neeson and a bunch of guys stranded in the frozen wilderness being hunted by wolves. Oh, and apparently discussing metaphysics.

Last thing you might want to know...it's "The GREY", not Gray...just to avoid confusion.

I figured I spelled it wrong. I just guessed. But it sounds exactly like "The Edge". I loved that movie with Anthony Hopkins and Alec Baldwin. Except it was Bart the Bear chasing them through the Alaskan wilderness. Bart was actually in a few films. He sadly passed away a couple years ago I believe but lived a good long life in captivity. I believe almost 30.

Today was the opening of One for the Money. Went to see it and enjoyed it. The hubby even enjoyed it. He was quite outnumbered in the theatre as the majority of moviegoers were women. There were a few areas of the movie that strayed off the book but it pretty much went along with the storyline of the book and some scenes were sanitized. Debbie Reynolds was funny as Grandma Mazur but not what I have always pictured in my minds eye.

Edited by ledzepfvr

I think one of the greatest things about The Tree of Life is that everyone I've talked to who's seen it has gotten something completely different out of it. There were some people that left the theatre during screenings to people that absolutely loved it (like myself).

I do plan on watching it again, along with 'HESHER'

Here's some classic dialogue from 'The Spy Who Came In From The Cold'

Richard Burton as 'Leamas' talking to Claire Bloom as 'Nan' (a communist)

Leamas: 'What the hell do you think spies are? Moral philosophers measuring everything they do against the world of God or Karl Marx? They're not! They're just a bunch of seedy, squalid bastards like me. Little men, drunkards, queers, hen-pecked husbands, civil servants playing cowboys and Indians to brighten their rotten little lives. Do you think they sit like monks in a little cell, balancing right against wrong? Yesterday i would have killed Mundt (spy) because I thought him evil and an enemy, but not today. Today he's evil and my friend. London needs him so that the great moronic masses you admire so much can sleep soundly in their flea-bitten beds again. They need him for the safety of ordinary crummy people like you and me.'

Nan: 'You killed Fiedler!'

Leamas: 'How big does a cause have to be before you kill your friends?' What about your party? There's a few million bodies on that path!'

Nan is silent.

As soon as I saw the trailer and ads for "The Grey", I immediately thought "Liam Neeson is gonna kick some wolve's ass...there better be scenes of Liam strangling a wolf with his bare hands or biting his heart out!" Well, apparently I wasn't the only one to expect that and this review from the LA Weekly suggests I might be disappointed with the film.

The Grey Review

Liam Neeson fights wolves

By Brian Miller Los Angeles Weekly Thursday, Jan 26 2012

I was told there would be more wolf-punching in The Grey. If you crash Liam Neeson and six disposable buddies in the frozen Alaskan wilderness, there is the expectation — nay, the requirement — that Neeson punch as many wolves as possible. Tape pocketknives and broken glass to your fists, improvise other weapons from the plane wreckage, just do what's necessary in the situation, OK? But despite Neeson's recent string of aggrieved-daddy action flicks (Taken, Unknown, etc.), this is not to be.

Reuniting with his A-Team director, Joe Carnahan, Neeson is instead a melancholy Irish Catholic given to fits of poetry and religious doubt. He gently shepherds a dying passenger into the beyond. He provides sage advice to the motley survivors — worried by their knowledge of both Alive and Grizzly Man — as he attempts to lead them on a trek to safety. He writes to a mystery woman, glimpsed in gauzy flashbacks (who provides the film's only real jolt in making you think about Natasha Richardson).

Along the way, Neeson's pack is revealed to be frail and fearful, as The Grey's dwindling survivors somberly contemplate the odds against them and, as the film takes a mystical turn, the absence of divine providence. There's too much Jack London, and, as they systematically pick off the stragglers, too many CGI wolves go unpunched. —Brian Miller

Edited by Strider