Pink Floyd Topic

MisterMcLov1n

Echoes in my opinion is the definitive Floyd song.

Their best albums IMO along with my favorite track:

1.Dark Side of the Moon (Time)

2.Piper at the Gates of Dawn (Astronomy Domine)

3.Wish You Were Here (Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Parts I-V

4.Animals (Dogs)

5.Meddle (Echoes)

6.Atom Heart Mother. (Fat Old Sun

7.The Wall (Nobody Home)

9.Division Bell (Marooned)

8.Obscured By Clouds (Burning Bridges)

Glad I found this topic. I was about to start a new thread about Pink Floyd.

Like you guys I also love Pink Floyd. The Dark Side of the moon is possibly my favorite album of ALL TIME.

Anyways I guess I'm in here to ask about any live shows that really stood out in their career. Before I go dropping a bunch of money on lousy bootlegs I'd like to get some good advice from people who truly appreciate the band.

Thanks in advance.

An "official" show that is worth picking up is The Wall Live - "Is There Anybody Out There?". The album sounded better live with some good improvisations during Another Brick p.II, Mother, Young Lust, Comfortably Numb and Run Like Hell. Even though the show itself didn't lend to a very creative atmosphere, I find that live version to be much better than the original release. I only have a few boots and they are pretty old and on vinyl (in storage). Others have remarked about finding shows on the web - I haven't though. Good luck.

Peace.

Like you guys I also love Pink Floyd. The Dark Side of the moon is possibly my favorite album of ALL TIME.

Anyways I guess I'm in here to ask about any live shows that really stood out in their career. Before I go dropping a bunch of money on lousy bootlegs I'd like to get some good advice from people who truly appreciate the band.

Thanks in advance.

If Dark Side is your favorite album all time then perhaps you would enjoy the 1969-71 era. It predates Dark Side but Floyd were in their experimental stage... sort of finding their way minus Syd. There are some great, quality boots out there from this era. Either of the BBC shows is top notch, Interstellar Fillmore from 29 April 1970 is great... wonderful set list and near perfect quality. A show from San Diego 1971 is also extremely good. 13 August, if memory serves.

Some of the songs you can expect to find from this era...

Grantchester Meadows - Astonomy Domine - Cymbaline - Set The Controls - Echoes - Embryo - Fat Old Sun - Green Is The Colour - Careful With That Axe, Eugene - A Saucerful Of Secrets - Interstellar Overdrive

The band weren't fighting, they were in fact a perfectly functioning unit and their shows were incredible.

Thanks in advance.

You should never have to buy a bootleg. Bootlegs should be free and available to anyone who wants them. There are a couple great blogs out there that specialize in boots, that have quite a few great Floyd ones.

Now, if you want to know what boots you should look for, these are my top 10:

1. Animal Instincts (May 9th, 1977)

2. Boston Music Hall (March 14th, 1973)

3. Cruel But Fair (April 26th, 1975)

4. Wallpower (February 28th, 1980) The last show they ever played in the US as a foursome.

5. Run Like Fuck (February 13th, 1980)

6. Keep Talking Foxboro (May 19th, 1994)

7. Interstellar Fillmore (April 29th, 1970)

8. New Mown Grass (October 17th, 1971)

9. Melbourne Soundboard (February 19th, 1988)

10. The Last Bell (October 29th, 1994) The last full concert Pink Floyd has done to date.

You should never have to buy a bootleg. Bootlegs should be free and available to anyone who wants them. There are a couple great blogs out there that specialize in boots, that have quite a few great Floyd ones.

Now, if you want to know what boots you should look for, these are my top 10:

1. Animal Instincts (May 9th, 1977)

2. Boston Music Hall (March 14th, 1973)

3. Cruel But Fair (April 26th, 1975)

4. Wallpower (February 28th, 1980) The last show they ever played in the US as a foursome.

5. Run Like Fuck (February 13th, 1980)

6. Keep Talking Foxboro (May 19th, 1994)

7. Interstellar Fillmore (April 29th, 1970)

8. New Mown Grass (October 17th, 1971)

9. Melbourne Soundboard (February 19th, 1988)

10. The Last Bell (October 29th, 1994) The last full concert Pink Floyd has done to date.

Good list Electrophile. That Oakland show {9 May} is pretty special. A couple others that are good that neither of us have listed yet are Smoking Blues 21-11-70 and 16/17-11-74. I love the early workings of the tracks that made up the bulk of Animals.

The November 1974 dates you listed are from their performance at the Wembley Pool that was broadcast on the BBC. The reason I didn't include it is because none of the boots that are available have the full concert, just the performance of DSOTM. I wanted to only include complete concerts, although the recording from the BBC that I've heard from that date is fantastic.

• 7 years later...

Seen at the Supermarket Newsstand today:

Music Spotlight ~ Special Collector's Edition
Pink Floyd 45th Anniversary Celebration
The Complete Story of THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON
Plus ~ Roger Waters & David Gilmour on the making of their Greatest Albums

WDhUkK3.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

It's the 30th anniversary of the momentary lapse of reason tour, the best two outdoor concerts I ever saw hands down from any band.

Saw them 10/30/87 in Tampa and April ‘88 (in a driving rain) in Orlando from that tour as well. Tampa showing was incredible-blew up the pig at the start of the 2nd set. Which two did you see? 

Edited by Walter

6 hours ago, Walter said:

Saw them 10/30/87 in Tampa and April ‘88 (in a driving rain) in Orlando from that tour as well. Tampa showing was incredible-blew up the pig at the start of the 2nd set. Which two did you see? 

They played two nights in a row at Phoenix Municipal Stadium on April 25th and 26th of 1988. I took two hits of some great acid the second night which enhanced things pretty good.

Edited by luvlz2

On 5/13/2018 at 11:55 AM, gibsonfan159 said:

Why no love for The Final Cut? I'd rate it a top three album of theirs.

Because it was the least band-oriented album they ever made: Rick Wright didn't play on it at all, Nick Mason didn't drum very much on it (he mostly created sound effects for the album), and David Gilmour wasn't fond of the album overall either. Really, it was a de facto Roger Waters solo album.

Now, if you like later-era Floyd (i.e., "Animals" and "The Wall"), it would make sense to enjoy TFC too - they are the most Roger-dominated albums, and a lot of the songs on TFC are very Wall-oriented.

Really, the last album created and approved of by the whole band was "Wish You Were Here".

The Wikipedia entry describes the chaos surrounding TFC:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Final_Cut_(album)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
On 11/13/2009 at 8:00 AM, Electrophile said:

The Final Cut sucks. Don't waste your money or your time, unless you really really want to.

Get Obscured By Clouds first. Then The Division Bell. Both are quintessentially Floyd, without the hype.

The Final Cut contains fantastic lyrics. That's why you should buy it.

8 hours ago, Dyper At The Gates Of Pawn said:

The Final Cut contains fantastic lyrics. That's why you should buy it.

I listened to Pink Floyd quite a bit in high school (going back a few years), including the Final Cut. I agree the lyrics were the best thing about it, but it was also the most depressing, self-involved record I've ever heard. Just, like, the epitome of a "feel bad" record lol. My fav PF album back then was Meddle, by far.