Pink Floyd Topic

MisterMcLov1n

52 minutes ago, 1975NQ said:

I listened to Pink Floyd quite a bit in high school (going back a few years), including the Final Cut. I agree the lyrics were the best thing about it, but it was also the most depressing, self-involved record I've ever heard. Just, like, the epitome of a "feel bad" record lol. My fav PF album back then was Meddle, by far.  

The Final Cut is Roger Waters having a nervous breakdown. It's self-indulgent pap. The Wall is barely listenable for me, outside of a few songs. Meddle --> Animals was the band at their best. The last two albums, A Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell are both good albums, but they're not as good as what the four of them could do together when they pulled their heads out of their asses and got to work.

14 minutes ago, Electrophile said:

The Final Cut is Roger Waters having a nervous breakdown. It's self-indulgent pap. The Wall is barely listenable for me, outside of a few songs. Meddle --> Animals was the band at their best. The last two albums, A Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell are both good albums, but they're not as good as what the four of them could do together when they pulled their heads out of their asses and got to work.

I had a love/hate thing going with AMLOR. Bought it when it came out, hated the lyrics, loved the feel and sound of the album. It sounds absolutely incredible and I think is underrated in a way. But lyrics are not Gilmour's strong suit lol. Then again, I always thought Roger Waters was a negative putz so not sure where that leaves me. Meddle thru Animals were the ones I listened to with any regularity (mostly Meddle). I think their first 2 records are classics, but they never pulled me back the way Meddle did for some reason.

1 hour ago, 1975NQ said:

I had a love/hate thing going with AMLOR. Bought it when it came out, hated the lyrics, loved the feel and sound of the album. It sounds absolutely incredible and I think is underrated in a way. But lyrics are not Gilmour's strong suit lol. Then again, I always thought Roger Waters was a negative putz so not sure where that leaves me. Meddle thru Animals were the ones I listened to with any regularity (mostly Meddle). I think their first 2 records are classics, but they never pulled me back the way Meddle did for some reason.

The problem I have with AMLoR is it sounds dated. It's loaded with drum machines and synthesizers, so when you hear any song from it, you immediately peg it as a late 80s album. That's not bad per se, but it doesn't have the same timeless quality that their other albums have. Of course, Gilmour did most of that album by himself, so it didn't have the same creative input from Nick Mason and Rick Wright that The Division Bell did. I agree, lyrics aren't his forte, but's not too terrible. LOL

16 minutes ago, Electrophile said:

The problem I have with AMLoR is it sounds dated. It's loaded with drum machines and synthesizers, so when you hear any song from it, you immediately peg it as a late 80s album. That's not bad per se, but it doesn't have the same timeless quality that their other albums have. Of course, Gilmour did most of that album by himself, so it didn't have the same creative input from Nick Mason and Rick Wright that The Division Bell did. I agree, lyrics aren't his forte, but's not too terrible. LOL

Yeah it definitely sounds 80s lol .. but in a good way! Just like Plant's Now and Zen (I commented on that album on the pre/post thread). And yeah maybe I should cut him some slack with the lyrics ... he probably did a better job than I could 🙂

Anyone see the re do of Clare Torry's epic "The Great Gig In The Sky"?  It was very very good but not as good as the original legendary version of it on the studio version of DSOTM.   To me the greatest guest vocal ever along with Sandy Denny in "The Battle of Evermore".  Torry's performance is simply magnificent. I can never hear it enough.

• 1 month later...

45 years ago today, Animals was released. It was the last great album they did as a quartet, IMO, and the last in the line of Obscured By Clouds --> The Dark Side of the Moon --> Wish You Were Here --> Animals in regard to "all killer, no filler." This is probably my favorite song on the whole album, and one of the best songs they ever did. 

• 1 month later...

If I had to pick a favorite song by Pink Floyd I might have to say the Great Gig in the Sky.  Did anyone see the re do of it a few years back?  Roger Waters was there but different female backing vocals.  Two of them.  A blonde and a young black girl.  But Clare Torrey version is still by far the best.  Its simply epic.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Pink-Floyd-Animals-2018-2022-Deluxe-Packshot-1024x709.webp.14a80dce6a849033b0aacc8911c446bf.webp

Pink Floyd's 'Animals' will be released  on Deluxe Gatefold, CD, LP, Blu-ray and SACD. The individual versions will be available on September 16, 2022 with the Deluxe version available October 7. This is the first time the album will have been available on 5.1 Surround Sound.

https://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/pink-floyds-animals-2018-remix-details-and-release-date?utm_source=phpList&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=PFNL20220630&utm_content=HTML

Edited by luvlz2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...