Another Pro-Shot Page/Plant Concert Video Surfaces

SteveAJones

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Black Dog video is Great!

Eye opening! Thanks!

I'd only seen footage of earlier shows in the tour.

I didn't realise they rocked out like this in '95.

I missed the boat.

Jimmy's shirt reads, "You can't sink a rainbow".... ? :blink::)

Porl Thompson looks a little lonely back there. :lol:

I kinda wish the band had picked up on the riff

Jimmy was trying to start at the end, though.

That's one thing you can't recreate with

some young-gun hotshots behind you :P , but

there's nothing to be done about that.

Awesome performance by all.

I'd only seen footage of earlier shows in the tour. I didn't realise they rocked out like this in '95. I missed the boat.

Jimmy's shirt reads, "You can't sink a rainbow".... ? blink.gifsmile.gif

The consensus is Jimmy's live playing during the '94-'98 Page/Plant era did grow stronger with each round of touring.

I saw him play throughout this time and there's just no comparison between a Spring '95 gig and an Autumn '95 gig.

Greenpeace was one of many charitable/environmental organizations that benefited directly from the '95-'96 world tour through donations or - in the UK - the sale of authographed drumskins and drumsticks. (Greenpeace and Robert Plant had also been associated during his '93 world tour). Anyway, Jimmy's t-shirt is a reference to The Rainbow Warrior:

Rainbow Warrior - you can't sink a rainbow!

The Rainbow Warrior is perhaps the most famous Greenpeace ship.

The current Rainbow Warrior was launched on 10 July 1989.

Greenpeace converted the Rainbow Warrior into a motor/sailing vessel by constructing three masts on the hull of a North Sea fishing trawler formerly called the Grampian Fame. It is an ocean-going vessel equipped with the latest in electronic navigation, sailing and communications equipment.

The original Rainbow Warrior was sunk in 1985, in Waitemata Harbour, Auckland, by agents of the French government in an attempt to foil Greenpeace protesting against its nuclear weapons testing in the Pacific.

The plan backfired, sparking worldwide outrage, and the re-launching of the Rainbow Warrior proves that "you can't sink a rainbow".

The ship's name was inspired by a North American Indian prophecy, which foretells a time when human greed will make the Earth sick, and a mythical band of warriors will descend from a rainbow to save it.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

The consensus is Jimmy's live playing during the '94-'98 Page/Plant era did grow stronger with each round of touring.

I saw him play throughout this time and there's just no comparison between a Spring '95 gig and an Autumn '95 gig.

Greenpeace was one of many charitable/environmental organizations that benefited directly from the '95-'96 world tour through donations or - in the UK - the sale of authographed drumskins and drumsticks. (Greenpeace and Robert Plant had also been associated during his '93 world tour). Anyway, Jimmy's t-shirt is a reference to The Rainbow Warrior:

Rainbow Warrior - you can't sink a rainbow!

The Rainbow Warrior is perhaps the most famous Greenpeace ship.

The current Rainbow Warrior was launched on 10 July 1989.

Greenpeace converted the Rainbow Warrior into a motor/sailing vessel by constructing three masts on the hull of a North Sea fishing trawler formerly called the Grampian Fame. It is an ocean-going vessel equipped with the latest in electronic navigation, sailing and communications equipment.

The original Rainbow Warrior was sunk in 1985, in Waitemata Harbour, Auckland, by agents of the French government in an attempt to foil Greenpeace protesting against its nuclear weapons testing in the Pacific.

The plan backfired, sparking worldwide outrage, and the re-launching of the Rainbow Warrior proves that "you can't sink a rainbow".

The ship's name was inspired by a North American Indian prophecy, which foretells a time when human greed will make the Earth sick, and a mythical band of warriors will descend from a rainbow to save it.

I had a feeling it might have something to do with Greenpeace.

Great info, as expected. :)

I totally agree. Page is like a different guy here.

I always wonder

if he ever takes his guitars out of their cases when he's home from touring.

:)

Now that I've figured out how this BT stuff works, I've been having a blast checking out the video and audio that's out there. I notice that there seems to be a lot more '95/96 material than from the '98 tour. I enjoyed the '98 show a lot more when I saw it, but now that I've seen a bigger sample of the '95/96 stuff, it seems like the '98 tour was less imaginative, other than the new material (which they didn't play enough of). Maybe there are some other videos out there that will prove me wrong, but The Gorge (WA) and Bucharest are the only two I've found and they are almost identical.

The all-black '98 attire is a little boring compared to the guady orange shirt and plaid pants JP wore in Phoenix in '85!

This may be blasphemy, but if I had a choice of going back in time to see a post '75 Zeppelin show or a solid night from the Page/Plant tours, I'd pick the latter. In the 90s, Plant was singing the original notes on Rock and Roll, which I just haven't heard on any late period Zep stuff. Plus JP seemed to be a lot healthier and playing at least as well, if not better. Again, maybe there's some stuff out there that will prove me wrong, but I think if you had to pick a random Page/Plant show versus a random Zeppelin show from '77, your odds of seeing a good show would be better with Page/Plant.

The all-black '98 attire is a little boring compared to the guady orange shirt and plaid pants JP wore in Phoenix in '85!

This may be blasphemy, but if I had a choice of going back in time to see a post '75 Zeppelin show or a solid night from the Page/Plant tours, I'd pick the latter. In the 90s, Plant was singing the original notes on Rock and Roll, which I just haven't heard on any late period Zep stuff. Plus JP seemed to be a lot healthier and playing at least as well, if not better. Again, maybe there's some stuff out there that will prove me wrong, but I think if you had to pick a random Page/Plant show versus a random Zeppelin show from '77, your odds of seeing a good show would be better with Page/Plant.

Jimmy had a Buddha belly in '98, the black attire helped hide it.

I've said it myself that Jimmy's Autumn '95 to Autumn '98 live playing was his best since May '75. Still, I don't think I would trade a New York or LA '77 or even a Frankfurt '80 concert experience for a Page/Plant gig as there's no getting

around the comparitively weak rhythm section.

Now that I've figured out how this BT stuff works, I've been having a blast checking out the video and audio that's out there. I notice that there seems to be a lot more '95/96 material than from the '98 tour. I enjoyed the '98 show a lot more when I saw it, but now that I've seen a bigger sample of the '95/96 stuff, it seems like the '98 tour was less imaginative, other than the new material (which they didn't play enough of). Maybe there are some other videos out there that will prove me wrong, but The Gorge (WA) and Bucharest are the only two I've found and they are almost identical.

If your meaning Jimmy's playing then I agree, your odds would be much better seeing a far more inspired and, a far healthier looking Jimmy Page in 98. He knocked me out on that P&P tour ! Prior to that , the last time I'd seen him live was in 77 and it wasn't good. At least, it wasn't good by his standards. No, for me the P&P tour in 1998 was the return of my hero. He certainly played within himself but, he played very very well.

PhxHorn,Ally,Steve and others,

I hope you don't mind if I share my story on this. I never did get the opportunity to see Page/Plant (to busy with career and raising my son at that time). With that said. I was 9 years old (1969) when I heard my first LZ ballad. My Dad was in a pub in the French Quarter and I was on the sidewalk just outside the Pub. As you know a lot of the Pubs in NO are open to the outside. I was sitting on the sidewalk with my back leaning on the outer wall of the Pub. This song came on and I stood up and leaned in to be able to hear this sound I was hearing. I asked my Dad to ask the DJ who that was, my Dad told me...the song was "I Can't Quite You Baby." Well I knew I had to have an album. Took me almost two years to convince my parents, but I saved my babysitting/chore money and at the age of 11 bought my first album and my second and so on.

My neighbors/friends that lived down the street, Tessa and her two brothers knew how much I loved LZ, as they did as well, so tickets were bought (as my Mom agreed to let me go with them. I actually think I wore her down and she gave in, Thank God!) So, May 14, 1973 we drive to the New Orleans Municiple Auditorium. I can't tell you how excited I was to be going to see LZ live as by now this is definetly my band of choice. Tessa's brother Otto was 19, so let's just say a little partying went on prior to the concert! We arrive get into the Auditorium and by now our excitment was peaking. We were about 100 feet from the stage. When they hit the stage, they opened with Rock & Roll and you just felt like you were about to begin this musical journey and if this was the beginning, what was to come! The setlist was amazing and they were in full form! I/We were in complete awe. As they continue to keep us on the jouney...to hear JPJ on No Quarter and Dazed & Confused was mesmerizing, Bonzos thunder on Moby Dick, Jimmys riffs on STH, D&C and quite a few more and Roberts voice on SIBLY, STH to name a couple...you knew you were beholding musical genius. I actually got so excited that I had tears, but tears of joy!! They were truly magnificent on stage. The energy in that building could have lit the whole Big Easy.

Then on 2/28/75 I was able to see them again in Baton Rouge. We had a few car loads of friends and off we went. Still don't know how we made it there as we were young and crazy and partied quite hard prior to and on the way. What can I say we were New Orleans people who lived in a city that was built around music, liquor and partying! They opened again with Rock & Roll (again taking us on yet another musical journey.) Kashmir was played here and all I can say is you felt like you were having an out of body experience as you would get so swept up in this journey that you did not want to end. STH,Moby Dick, WLL, Rain Song (to name a couple as they were all magnificent!)

The vibe and presence that they projected on stage, you had to be there to truly understand as it is hard to put so many emotions into words as you went with them down a beautiful yet powerful and memorable journey!

I regret that I did not see Page/Plant, but I would not trade those 1973 and 1975 lasting experiences to see these four in all their glory! I was very blessed to have witnessed this.

I had tickets in 77, but tragedy came to our Robert.

I don't think I would trade a New York or LA '77 or even a Frankfurt'80 concert experience for a Page/Plant gig as there's no getting around the comparitively weak rhythm section.

I wouldn't call the Page/Plant rhythm section comparitively weak. Maybe excellent as opposed to unbelievable? And that's only the bass/drums aspect. I hate to say this, but JPJ really isn't a great keyboard player, and as much as I enjoy No Quarter, during his solo he's really just pounding out some very basic block chords instead of actually improvising some solo lines. Plus, in the Zeppelin days, when JPJ played keys there was no bass except for what JPJ did with his left hand, which really can't be compared to a bass player. The live Zep material with JPJ on keys has always sound empty to me without a bass, and the lack of this problem with the Page/Plant tours was one of its greatest strengths, I believe. I'll listen again to Frankfurt '80, but I don't recall that one really being comparable to a good Page/Plant show.

Archived