Jimmy involved in new Supergroup w/ Clapton & others?

reids

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/jimmy-page-eric-clapton-aerosmith-supergroup-227580

Jimmy to be involved in a new Supergroup with Clapton and members of Aerosmith???

R:)

Maybe the mods can combine our threads? Anyway, methinks this is a very deceiving story.

Kevin Shriley has supposedly spilled the beans on a new supergroup he'll be recording with Page, Clapton, and the Aerosmith guys. It apparently originated from the Lemon Squeezings blog, which is a great source of Zep news in my opinion.

However, if you actually go to the source and read Shirley's diary entry, it makes no such claim. It just states that he'll be working with a guitar legend in December, then goes on to list other guitarists he's recorded. Then it separately mentions a "supergroup" in January:

There are some really cool things coming up - in December I get to record one of guitars great legends! And I've recorded Jimmy Page, Joe Perry, Eric Clapton, John Petrucci, Joe Bonamassa, Brad Whitford, Neal Schon, Maiden's Three Amigos amongst many others, and I am really excited! Then I am remixing one of Classic Rock's seriously classic albums and January I'm producing what has the promise to be one of the most exciting "supergroups" to come around in a long time. But theory is just that until we see how the dynamics play out in the studio between these superb musicians. And of course the songs will make the real difference.

Perhaps one can glean that he might be doing something with Page soon. But as usual the internet blog world has pumped up the story beyond recognition!

Kevin Shirley's Diary

Jimmy: Doubtful.

Eric: Not a chance in hell.

Yep. We'll see. I thought it was interesting that Kevin Shirley posted this:

http://www.cavemanproductions.com/cavediary.htm

Yes. He doesn't quite say what MusicRadar says, does he:

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/jimmy-page-eric-clapton-aerosmith-supergroup-227580

A little bit of "freedom" in the editing and the inferences, I'd say, but maybe Kevin will respond soon to give any confirmations.

Exactly, can anyone picture Clapton actually recording with the Aerosmith guys?

Nope. Aerosmith is great in their own way, Eric Clapton is uber-effing-fantastic is his own way....combined? Bad news. Think of it this way - chocolate is great. Cheese is great. Chocolate and cheese together? Puke city.

That's kinda what this is.

Nope. Aerosmith is great in their own way, Eric Clapton is uber-effing-fantastic is his own way....combined? Bad news. Think of it this way - chocolate is great. Cheese is great. Chocolate and cheese together? Puke city.

...not to mention the future of Aerosmith remains in doubt. Steven did jam with Joe recently but left the venue

before Joe finished the show and subsequently said he was taking the next two years off from Aerosmith to

focus on "brand Tyler". Joe's not sure what that means but has said he'll forge on with the Joe Perry Project.

... (JPP) are opening for Bad Company in the UK soon, too.Maybe Jimmy will appear at one of Bad Comany/JPP concerts.

We'll see what develops.

The good news is that JP was in the studio recently with Kevin Shirley and he'll be doing something further in the new year (whatever it is... with or without the others listed above).

... (JPP) are opening for Bad Company in the UK soon, too.Maybe Jimmy will appear at one of Bad Comany/JPP concerts.

We'll see what develops.

The good news is that JP was in the studio recently with Kevin Shirley and he'll be doing something further in the new year (whatever it is... with or without the others listed above).

I still don't see where Shirley claims that Page has been in the studio recently.

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade...

I don't either, sadly.

Yes. The MusicRadar post said that:

"Writing in his blog, Shirley said that Page and Clapton have joined Perry and Whitford in a recording studio and that he has been working with these guitarists and "many others."

Shirley hinted at a 'supergroup project,' writing that come January he would be "producing what has the promise to be one of the most exciting 'supergroups' to come around in a long time."

Just making sure that we are on the same page.

Yes. The MusicRadar post said that:

"Writing in his blog, Shirley said that Page and Clapton have joined Perry and Whitford in a recording studio and that he has been working with these guitarists and "many others."

Shirley hinted at a 'supergroup project,' writing that come January he would be "producing what has the promise to be one of the most exciting 'supergroups' to come around in a long time."

http://www.musicrada...pergroup-227580

Just making sure that we are on the same page.

Well if The MusicRadar said so it must be true.

C'mon already, read what Kevin attempted to write, not what they want it to mean.

I think the point is that Shirley said he has recorded all those guitarists separately in the past, which MusicRadar has distorted to mean that they were all in the studio together. In what Shirley says, there's no suggestion that I can see of any of THEM being in this "supergroup," or any hints given about it at all, apart from its wonderfulness.

Never had chocolate cheesecake?? ;)

I think the point is that Shirley said he has recorded all those guitarists separately in the past, which MusicRadar has distorted to mean that they were all in the studio together. In what Shirley says, there's no suggestion that I can see of any of THEM being in this "supergroup," or any hints given about it at all, apart from its wonderfulness.

Correct.

Speculation on Jimmy Page supergroup unfounded

By Steve Sauer, www.LedZeppelinNews.com

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Yesterday's LedZeppelinNews.com post relating to a possible project with Jimmy Page was unfounded, the result of a misinterpretation. Kevin Shirley has clarified that the list of guitarists he has recorded -- Page, Clapton, Perry, Whitford, the three amigos of Iron Maiden, and all the rest -- is a record of his lifetime achievement, not a list of people he has had in the studio recently, especially not together (imagine that many guitarists plugged in, outside of a jam at a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony.

LedZeppelinNews.com approached Shirley for clarification too late, after not only having posted its own misinterpretation of his comments but after other music sites began speculating on a Page/Clapton/Perry/Whitford supergroup or even a Yardbirds reunion. Some sites listed Lemon Squeezings as the source of such speculation.

In particular, Mog made it seem as though Shirley had said in his diary Page, Clapton, Perry and Whitford were going to be in a supergroup. Shirley responded on that site, saying:

And Michael Schumacher will drive the bus... Gordon Ramsey will cater and Spielberg will do the video!!!

It's pretty silly to read between the lines, but I guess it adds hits to the page.

After this, Shirley clarified in an e-mail to LedZeppelinNews.com today:

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the mail.

Unfortunately, it's a misread -- all I said was I am recording a legend (and I have done plenty in the past), and this guy is seriously thrilling!

The Page/Zep thing is not what it is.

There is a supergroup -- there is a classic rock remix, but the speculation is all misguided.

I don't forsee [sic] any future Led Zep related projects, but who knows.

More in the fullness of time.

Thanks again for writing. All the best,

KS

Speculation on Jimmy Page supergroup unfounded

By Steve Sauer, www.LedZeppelinNews.com

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Yesterday's LedZeppelinNews.com post relating to a possible project with Jimmy Page was unfounded, the result of a misinterpretation. Kevin Shirley has clarified that the list of guitarists he has recorded -- Page, Clapton, Perry, Whitford, the three amigos of Iron Maiden, and all the rest -- is a record of his lifetime achievement, not a list of people he has had in the studio recently, especially not together (imagine that many guitarists plugged in, outside of a jam at a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony.

LedZeppelinNews.com approached Shirley for clarification too late, after not only having posted its own misinterpretation of his comments but after other music sites began speculating on a Page/Clapton/Perry/Whitford supergroup or even a Yardbirds reunion. Some sites listed Lemon Squeezings as the source of such speculation.

In particular, Mog made it seem as though Shirley had said in his diary Page, Clapton, Perry and Whitford were going to be in a supergroup. Shirley responded on that site, saying:

And Michael Schumacher will drive the bus... Gordon Ramsey will cater and Spielberg will do the video!!!

It's pretty silly to read between the lines, but I guess it adds hits to the page.

After this, Shirley clarified in an e-mail to LedZeppelinNews.com today:

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the mail.

Unfortunately, it's a misread -- all I said was I am recording a legend (and I have done plenty in the past), and this guy is seriously thrilling!

The Page/Zep thing is not what it is.

There is a supergroup -- there is a classic rock remix, but the speculation is all misguided.

I don't forsee [sic] any future Led Zep related projects, but who knows.

More in the fullness of time.

Thanks again for writing. All the best,

KS

thanks for posting this Steve. I emailed Kevin yesterday, too, to let him know what MusicRadar.com said.

Glad that he responded to you to put a rest to any rumor (or fabrication in this case by MR.com). R:)

Archived