The end of the decade

danelectro59

It has been said that the older you get, the faster time goes by, but this one really flew by. It seems like only last week we were worrying about Y2K. Anyway, Happy New Decade to all fans of the best r&r band to ever grace the planet :D:D:D:D:D

Yes, time is flying by the older I get. It seems there is more to look back on and less years to look forward to. Hate to nit-pic, but I would pose this question. Is 2010 the last year of this decade or as you say the beginning of the next? Either way 2010 has got to be a better year for all, so HAPPY NEW YEAR to all my Led Zeppelin fanatic friends.

Yes, time is flying by the older I get. It seems there is more to look back on and less years to look forward to. Hate to nit-pic, but I would pose this question. Is 2010 the last year of this decade or as you say the beginning of the next? Either way 2010 has got to be a better year for all, so HAPPY NEW YEAR to all my Led Zeppelin fanatic friends.

As far as I'm concerned a decade is ten years and they start with 0, end with 9

2000 / 2001 / 2002 / 2003 / 2004 / 2005 / 2006 / 2007 / 2008 / 2009

When Does the New Decade Start?

Eugene Volokh • December 27, 2009 10:41 am

The first decade of the 1st century ran from Year 1 through Year 10. The first decade of the 21st century, therefore, consists of the years 2001 through 2010, no matter how many "Decade in Review" essays, roundups, recaps, and slideshows you're being bombarded with as 2009 comes to an end.

Jeff Jacoby (Boston Globe) writes:

All this premature enumeration reminds me of a lapel button the late David Brudnoy took to wearing in the last weeks of 1999, amid the frenzied countdown to Y2K and the "end" of the 20th century. "The century will end on December 31, 2000," it read. "Please be patient."

Does the new decade really start only in 2011, rather than in 2010?

Well, it all depends on which decade you're speaking of. Let's begin with centuries. We've set up our BC and AD dating system so there's no year zero, presumably because back when they were set up, the concept of "zero" as a number was not well-established in Europe. Therefore, the first hundred years of AD time were 1 to 100, the next 101 to 200, and so on. That's why the 20th century is conventionally understood as going from 1901 to 2000, though I'm sure the term hasn't always been used entirely consistently.

But of course any consecutive sequence of 100 years can constitute a century. By convention we don't label 1937 to 2036, for instance, a century. But we do conventionally use another sort of century centuries labeled things like the 1800s or the 1900s. As I have seen the term used, the 1900s are a century that goes from 1900 to 1999, probably because it would seem quite odd to treat 2000 as part of the 1900s but to exclude 1900 itself from the 1900s. So the "turn of the century" was 2000 if you're talking about the turn from the 1900s to the 2000s, and 2001 if you're talking about the turn from the 20th century to the 21st century.

Now as to decades. Indeed, the first decade of the 21st century would logically be 2001 to 2010, and it may be that this term is indeed conventionally used to describe those ten years, though I'm not at all positive that it is. But in any event the usage gets rare past the first few decades of a century. The more common usage, especially past the first few decades, is something like "the 1980s" or "the '60s." (As to the first decade, "the first decade" seems to be more common, since "the 1900s" could be understood as either the decade or the century.) And both by logic and by convention (as I understand the convention), "the 1980s" means 198089, even if "the ninth decade of the twentieth century" means 19811990.

So the second decade of the twenty-first century, if you want to use the term "second decade," might begin either in the 2010 or 2011; my sense is that actual usage is mixed on this. But the decade that we will call the 2010s (or "the tens" or "the teens," whichever the preferred term ends up being) will pretty certainly begin a few days from now, on Jan. 1, 2010, and will run until the end of 2019

Christopher John Brennan says:

With centuries, the commonly used English labels happened to use counting terminology: 19th century, 20th century, etc. Some socially inept people, failing to understand the difference between English usage and math, used this coincidence as a basis for quibbling. (The fact that the 20th century included years in the 1900s made things somewhat strange, linguistically, to begin with.)

We don't label decades the same way as centuries: for example, people refer often to the 1960s and never to the 197th decade. There is no coincidence of terminology to quibble over. Regardless of whether 1970 fell outside the 197th decade from the perspective of a counting quibble, 1970 has never been part of the 1960s in the context of how people use that label to communicate.

While words don't have objective meanings, a dictionary is an excellent tool for confirming how a word will be understood in actual usage. Random House (via Dictionary.com) defines decade as: "A period of ten years beginning with a year whose last digit is zero: the decade of the 1980s."

When using language to communicate, the most successful approach involves using words as your readers and listeners will understand them. The alternative is acting like Humpty Dumpty in Alice in Wonderland: "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean neither more nor less."

As far as I'm concerned a decade is ten years and they start with 0, end with 9

2000 / 2001 / 2002 / 2003 / 2004 / 2005 / 2006 / 2007 / 2008 / 2009

Hi All,

Who really gives a shit? as long as you get drunk, get laid and have a really good time right, oh and I'm off for mine now folks, ;) see you all in the new year, live long and prosper y'all, and ave a good'n.

:drunk::buttsmack::oops::aw:

Regards, Danny

Yes, this decade really has flown by. The dawning of a new decade has significance for me personally because I now realize that this past one was the first one where I could remember the events vividly from beginning to end. I was 13 at the beginning of this last decade and am now 23.

Hi All,

Who really gives a shit? as long as you get drunk, get laid and have a really good time right, oh and I'm off for mine now folks, ;) see you all in the new year, live long and prosper y'all, and ave a good'n.

:drunk::buttsmack::oops::aw:

Regards, Danny

Hi BIGDAN...that train of thought is very logical.

Have a safe and happy new year.

I remember illegally partaking in drinking on New Year's 2000, worrying about my bank money being messed up, so that night, I carried MY ENTIRE PAYCHECK as I stumbled in the snow to the state capitol building (I live in the capital) to see the Y2K New Year's ball drop.

My first full-time job was making "bank:" $7.00 an hour, (the minimum wage was $5.15. I accepted the job in 1999, and worked there until mid-2000.

I moved out on my own in 2000, working full-time and going to college.

Since then, a lot of things have happened in America to change the way we live, including 9/11; I saw the second plane hit on the news and I watched the two buildings collapse while working.

I turned 21 in 2002.

In this decade, I TRULY grew up. I graduated high school in 1999, so I went to college, learned how to support myself, and said a final goodbye to my father in December 2002.

I think I truly learned a LOT in this decade--but this is because this was the decade I literally became an adult in.

Cheers!

I hope that the global economy comes back, that we are safer, and may the next ten years be better; may we all learn even more than we learned during this past decade!

Right at midnight last night, my husband declared that he and I are now in our 6th decade; having been born in the '60s <_< (Yikes! No wonder we have begun receiving mail from the local retirement communities...)

The decade was good to me. smile.gif

My sons started and graduated from high school.

They were on the high school football team, and they made the state play-offs all but one of the five years that they played (they were one year apart in school).

They began their college years at Ohio State. My oldest son got into Ohio State's Optometry school a year early (before he graduated college, saving us a year of tuition!). And maybe he will take over my practice and I can retire in 4 years.

I went to Ireland twice and England and Scotland and Wales once. I took several cruises, as well as alot of various trips in the US.

I saw alot of great concerts, plays and Broadway shows.

We didn't lose any family members in the 2000's (they passed away in the 1990's, alas sad.gif ).

We have enjoyed good health.

And I have a million other things to be thankful and grateful for in the past decade.

I am a bit aprehensive about the 2010's. Don't think that the 2000's can be topped, and it can only be downhill from here, I am afraid. And like Virginia noted, starting my 6th decade, too. That's unbelievable!

I am wishing a Happy New Year and Happy New Decade to everyone!

The decade was good to me. smile.gif

My sons started and graduated from high school.

They were on the high school football team, and they made the state play-offs all but one of the five years that they played (they were one year apart in school).

They began their college years at Ohio State. My oldest son got into Ohio State's Optometry school a year early (before he graduated college, saving us a year of tuition!). And maybe he will take over my practice and I can retire in 4 years.

I went to Ireland twice and England and Scotland and Wales once. I took several cruises, as well as alot of various trips in the US.

I saw alot of great concerts, plays and Broadway shows.

We didn't lose any family members in the 2000's (they passed away in the 1990's, alas sad.gif ).

We have enjoyed good health.

And I have a million other things to be thankful and grateful for in the past decade.

I am a bit aprehensive about the 2010's. Don't think that the 2000's can be topped, and it can only be downhill from here, I am afraid. And like Virginia noted, starting my 6th decade, too. That's unbelievable!

I am wishing a Happy New Year and Happy New Decade to everyone!

Right, and if i reflect on it, probably more happened in that decade than the previous one. It started with, as mentioned, Y2K then the botched 2000 pres election, 9/11, 2 wars, tsunami, Katrina, the economy and i could go on and on. A couple of high notes; Red Sox win a World Series and Led Zeppelin perform first full concert in nearly 3 decades.

For me, personally it was rather rough. I suffered through a divorce, a near crippling injury, the loss of both parents and, just recently, a long time close friend. But i'm still here and happy as ever, so rock on and keep it comin'

Oh, well the last year has come and gone just like all the one's before it. The new decade starts on January 1, 2011, well that's what I think. After all, year 0 wasn't over on the first day was it? No, they had to go from day 1 to day 365 first.

I was working on a stage on New Years 2000, with a production company in Asheville, North Carolina at a dump called the Grove Park Inn and resort. Aaa, it's not really a dump only a 5 star joint so I could have done worse.

This coming year... I have no clue as to what will be in store for me, the last year was a real wast of human life for me. Just hope I can get a good job by advancing my music status.

I remember worrying about Y2K too. On New Year's Eve my mom and I actually spent $300 on groceries to gear up for it. lol

The 2000s was a big decade for me. In 2001 I got my very first job, graduated from high school, started college. Graduated from college in 2005, moved to a new city and started working full-time. Bought my first home in 2006. Unfortunately that same year I lost my grandmother and a dear friend, both to cancer. So yeah there were major ups and downs. The last few years I've made lots of friends, gone to many concerts, traveled a bit and have been trying out some new things. I'm looking forward to what 2010 and beyond will bring. :)

I forget to add, that the real question is how much this forum changed in the last decade. I first started coming here in 2002 or something. Registered sometimes after. A lot of great characters are long gone unfortunately. This place is now kind of vacant. It's more about moms and dumb teenagers. There used to be great discussions but now it's mostly BS.

I forget to add, that the real question is how much this forum changed in the last decade. I first started coming here in 2002 or something. Registered sometimes after. A lot of great characters are long gone unfortunately. This place is now kind of vacant. It's more about moms and dumb teenagers. There used to be great discussions but now it's mostly BS.

Hi DRUNK08...Happy New Year. Your post struck me because you seem a bit bias against moms and teenagers participating at the forum. Moms also do love Led Zeppelin and some do have intellegent input and teenagers may seem dumb because they did not witness LZ in their heyday and are ignorant of information regarding this great band. They come here to learn and be with the older wiser folk to be patience and teach them of the LZ ways. What better place to learn. They will be the ones to continue the LZ legacy when you and I are watching grass grow from below.

You fellows may still have you discussions but really other than the guy's new projects what more can be discussed regarding Led Zeppelin that has not already been dicussed in length in the pages and pages of threads.

I have only been a member here a short time so I have not seen the change that you have witnessed but change is constant in life. I would hope for the good.

Hi DRUNK08...Happy New Year. Your post struck me because you seem a bit bias against moms and teenagers participating at the forum. Moms also do love Led Zeppelin and some do have intellegent input and teenagers may seem dumb because they did not witness LZ in their heyday and are ignorant of information regarding this great band. They come here to learn and be with the older wiser folk to be patience and teach them of the LZ ways. What better place to learn. They will be the ones to continue the LZ legacy when you and I are watching grass grow from below.

You fellows may still have you discussions but really other than the guy's new projects what more can be discussed regarding Led Zeppelin that has not already been dicussed in length in the pages and pages of threads.

I have only been a member here a short time so I have not seen the change that you have witnessed but change is constant in life. I would hope for the good.

Well hey honey, if you were around back then, you might feel the same way I do now.

This place has become boring. It used to be stimulating, with a lot of extremely creative and intelligent characters who were unique. There were great conversations, and I enjoyed participating. But it's all changed.

I'm an adult. I don't really have a lot in common with he teenagers on here. Nothing wrong with them being on here, but the quality has changed. There used to be some teenagers who were interesting. Not any more.

As far as the moms go, that changed too. They tend to sound the same, most of them sound like they sit on the couch and watch Oprah all day.

I had to think about it a bit because so much has happen in my life during this decade I wanted to put the timeline together as best as I could.

Y2K pfftdry.gif uneventful, then September 11, 2001 the world pretty much change for ever. The next 3 years were actually great years for me.

I was working at a satellite facility 7 miles from home and had no managers breathing down my neck, I bought my first Harley and brought my son to Disney world for the first time, there was plenty of OT to be had if you wanted it and the economy was doing pret ty well at the time.

Then things slowly began to change profoundly like a bad dream. First there was a falling out with management and they closed the satellite facility and I had to drive across town to the main garage.

Then May 05 I was first diagnosed with stage one colon cancer then just getting back to work and August 29, 2005 Hurricane Katrina nearly destroyed my Home and town. Took almost 2 years for the insurance co to settle up and don't get me started on FEMA.

Then the wife lost her mind and walked out and divorced me after being together for 28 years.

In the middle of all this chaos I had a recurrence and was diagnosed with stage two colon cancer except that it had metastized to my liver.

Have to tell you chemo is hell on earth.

After 2 ct scans all is clear and I will be going this week for the 3rd so that part is looking good but the chemo is still giving me troubles and I finished my tratments 3rd week of October.

With all that said don't know how this decade could be worse?wink.gif

Well hey honey, if you were around back then, you might feel the same way I do now.

This place has become boring. It used to be stimulating, with a lot of extremely creative and intelligent characters who were unique. There were great conversations, and I enjoyed participating. But it's all changed.

I'm an adult. I don't really have a lot in common with he teenagers on here. Nothing wrong with them being on here, but the quality has changed. There used to be some teenagers who were interesting. Not any more.

As far as the moms go, that changed too. They tend to sound the same, most of them sound like they sit on the couch and watch Oprah all day.

Well I hope that as long as I am here I don't get into a pessimistic rut. I like to keep on the flip side of that feeling.

As with any group of people, some have more interesting things to say than others and yes, it does get a bit slow here once in a while but that gives me a bit of time to read up on all those great discussions that took place before. If you need some intelligent discussion, why not start one yourself?

I don't have alot in common either for the most part with teenagers but if they were to show interest in Led Zeppelin I would be more that happy to discuss that topic with them.

I confess, I like Oprah but don't get much chance to watch her as I work all day. But moms sounding as if they watch her all day long is not too far off from some of the fellows sounding as if they watch sports or nascar all the time. Don't get me wrong I like sports (football, baseball) not too keen on nascar though. Anyway I hope you get my analagy as I try not to sterotype people into a nitch because they fall into a certain catagory. I know you did say most and not all so I would like to venture to say that you may not group me into your couch potato group. I hope anyway. :D

I'm sorry, but that post was so boring, I almost fell asleep while reading it.

If some lazy fuck is sitting there watching sports all the time, then they probably won't contribute much anyway.

The women here are so boring though. Please don't re read what you wrote, or you might be too tired to even reply to me.

I'm sorry, but that post was so boring, I almost fell asleep while reading it.

If some lazy fuck is sitting there watching sports all the time, then they probably won't contribute much anyway.

The women here are so boring though. Please don't re read what you wrote, or you might be too tired to even reply to me.

Glad I could give you a beddie by story. Nighty nite.

Archived