Song Remains the Same DVD - Std. vs. Blu-Ray

killiescot

Just got a blu-ray player, is this one worth upgrading ?

I am relatively new to Blu-Ray as well. Depending on your viewing conditions, the Blu-Ray players upgrade regular DVD's to near HD quality anyways. The only way to know for sure is to play some regular DVD's and compare to Blu-Ray on your TV. I was amazed at how much better regular DVD's looked on the Blu-Ray (including TSRTS).

I am relatively new to Blu-Ray as well. Depending on your viewing conditions, the Blu-Ray players upgrade regular DVD's to near HD quality anyways. The only way to know for sure is to play some regular DVD's and compare to Blu-Ray on your TV. I was amazed at how much better regular DVD's looked on the Blu-Ray (including TSRTS).

Thanks, it looks pretty good right now, just wondering if it's worth the extra $$ to buy a new one.

Same dilemma with "It might get loud"

The mouse on this laptop has a hot button hence the reply with no message...annoying. Any new DVD's that I purchase (like IMGL) will be Blu-Ray if available. It is individual preference with already owned standard DVD's, but I can wait to buy these in Blu-Ray while purchasing any new releases (additions) in Blu-Ray. Quite a few Blu-Ray versions also include an extra std DVD. This is a nice feature.

IMGL in Blu-Ray is amazing!

Just got a blu-ray player, is this one worth upgrading ?

I posted the comment below in the “Cinematic Blunders: The Song Remains The Same,” thread on 7 December 2009:

“Despite some of the dubious elements of this film, like obliterating most of The Rain Song's on stage performance with Robert's sprawling Fantasy sequence (probably to plug in the gaps in footage they procured at MSG), these vulnerabilities pale into insignificance compared to the atrocious quality of the Blu-ray transfer of this film (at least the UK version). It is truly heinous; the digital remastering quality control person on the project must have had a lobotomy!!!”

So I'd say a categorical NO.

My suggestion if you have doubts about this "no" and you like ZZ Top, buy their Live From Texas Blu-ray, which is the perfect example of the sonic and visual potential of a music Blu-ray disc, then borrow TSRTS Blu-ray and see the difference. The TSRTS Blu-ray visually has only a marginal improvement on remastered DVD and the soundscape is undynamic compared to other Blu-ray disc I own.. distinctly unimpressive.

I advise anyone heading into Blu-ray territory to temper your expectations.

The problem is the inconsistency in the investment of the digital transfer process by the product manufacturers and the film material owners who release/license it.

I have 81 movies on Blu-ray and 13 music concerts on Blu-ray, playing them through a Yamaha Z7 AV receiver and a Pioneer LX-91 Blu-ray player. This kit is at the higher end of the equipment market. So, really I'd expect to get optimum viewing results, however... many of the Blu-ray film transfers leave a lot to be desired and only offer subtle improvements on the remastered, special anniversary DVDs I own. The background in panoramic shots is the place to see the weaknesses in the transfers, especially the sky, which is invariably filled with pixelated grain (noise/interference. Another likely factor is the film stock and camera equipment used to shoot the film and what version of prints they have used for the transfer.

The only films that really seem to hit the performance target are films that were released to the cinema more recently (in the last 3 years), things like the Batman films, Pan's Labyrinth, Mongol, and Pirates of the Caribbean. The James Bond films are superb, but then they were on DVD too. Zulu is one of the clearest transfers I have seen, with little evidence of pixelated "noise" in the panoramic shots, which I was very surprised at given its age. The Thing is pretty good, but also suffers from background noise on a lot of the landscape shots. American Werewolf in London is not much an improvement on the Anniversary edition DVD.

Here are two good review sites, to help you determine what is and what is not worth upgrading from DVD to Blu-ray:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/

http://www.blu-ray.com/

As they focus purely on Blu-ray they tend to have a more informed view than you will get from Amazon customer reviews.

Cheers,

SonicD

I posted the comment below in the “Cinematic Blunders: The Song Remains The Same,” thread on 7 December 2009:

“Despite some of the dubious elements of this film, like obliterating most of The Rain Song's on stage performance with Robert's sprawling Fantasy sequence (probably to plug in the gaps in footage they procured at MSG), these vulnerabilities pale into insignificance compared to the atrocious quality of the Blu-ray transfer of this film (at least the UK version). It is truly heinous; the digital remastering quality control person on the project must have had a lobotomy!!!”

So I'd say a categorical NO.

My suggestion if you have doubts about this "no" and you like ZZ Top, buy their Live From Texas Blu-ray, which is the perfect example of the sonic and visual potential of a music Blu-ray disc, then borrow TSRTS Blu-ray and see the difference. The TSRTS Blu-ray visually has only a marginal improvement on remastered DVD and the soundscape is undynamic compared to other Blu-ray disc I own.. distinctly unimpressive.

I advise anyone heading into Blu-ray territory to temper your expectations.

The problem is the inconsistency in the investment of the digital transfer process by the product manufacturers and the film material owners who release/license it.

I have 81 movies on Blu-ray and 13 music concerts on Blu-ray, playing them through a Yamaha Z7 AV receiver and a Pioneer LX-91 Blu-ray player. This kit is at the higher end of the equipment market. So, really I'd expect to get optimum viewing results, however... many of the Blu-ray film transfers leave a lot to be desired and only offer subtle improvements on the remastered, special anniversary DVDs I own. The background in panoramic shots is the place to see the weaknesses in the transfers, especially the sky, which is invariably filled with pixelated grain (noise/interference. Another likely factor is the film stock and camera equipment used to shoot the film and what version of prints they have used for the transfer.

The only films that really seem to hit the performance target are films that were released to the cinema more recently (in the last 3 years), things like the Batman films, Pan's Labyrinth, Mongol, and Pirates of the Caribbean. The James Bond films are superb, but then they were on DVD too. Zulu is one of the clearest transfers I have seen, with little evidence of pixelated "noise" in the panoramic shots, which I was very surprised at given its age. The Thing is pretty good, but also suffers from background noise on a lot of the landscape shots. American Werewolf in London is not much an improvement on the Anniversary edition DVD.

Here are two good review sites, to help you determine what is and what is not worth upgrading from DVD to Blu-ray:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/

http://www.blu-ray.com/

As they focus purely on Blu-ray they tend to have a more informed view than you will get from Amazon customer reviews.

Cheers,

SonicD

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/It-Might-Get-Loud-Blu-ray/7723/

• 7 years later...

So I'm confused on this. After holding on to the VHS for ages, I want to get TSRTS on disc and I want the best I can get. When searching for the two disc special edition (which I imagine has the most material) all I see come up is the DVD, not blu ray. Does the blu ray also include the extra material? Is one preferred over the other?

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

So I'm confused on this. After holding on to the VHS for ages, I want to get TSRTS on disc and I want the best I can get. When searching for the two disc special edition (which I imagine has the most material) all I see come up is the DVD, not blu ray. Does the blu ray also include the extra material? Is one preferred over the other?

The blu-ray has all the bonus material, on one disc.
https://www.amazon.com/Led-Zeppelin-Song-Remains-Blu-ray/dp/B0012YYZYK/

TSRTS-blu-ray1.jpg

TSRTS-blu-ray2.jpg

Archived