Led Zeppelin - TSRTS vs. Pink FLoyd - Live at Pompeii

CHGOLZFAN

Led Zeppelin - TSRTS vs. Pink FLoyd - Live at Pompeii  

158 members have voted

1. 1. Your desert island suitcase has room for only one of these dvd's. Which one will you choose?

• Led Zeppelin - TSRTS
    • Pink Floyd - Live at Pompeii

Although I voted for TSRTS, Pompeii is good, it's just that PF didn't have the raw energy playing live that Zeppelin did (and still do). Although I saw them building the Wall in 1981, I didn't get to see PF in the 70's (just a bit too young), but on available evidence, they were certainly a band for sitting down and listening to, not like most rock bands who can get you on your feet.

I'm afraid I have a bit of a problem with the fantasy sequences in TSRTS, though. Really could have done without them. Even if they were there to cover up the missing footage, they should have done something else. The 2003 DVD was tons better.

I'll say Pink Floyd at Pompeii for the main reason that Pink Floyd were always a great live band for the spectacle and having atteneded two Roger Waters DSOTM shows you spend a lot of the time looking at the screen behind the musicians and whatever giant inflatables are about and so it doesnt seem like too much of an intrusion when they show other scenes over the band playing in Pompeii.

Led Zep however were the opposite they were mainly about the energetic performance by the musicians and so I'd rather have TSRTS without the fantasy sequences because I'd rather be looking at what the band were doing all the time.

Really though although they are good perfoemances by both bands, they are far from their best so the real Floyd vs Zeppelin would be "Pulse" vs. "DVD."

And whats with all the Floyd bashing on here?

• 2 months later...
Pink Floyd. I get sick of Led Zeppelin if I listen to them too much. I need to take breaks so I don't get burnt out. Pink Floyd on the other hand.....I could listen to them forever.

So why would my opinion count? I'll tell you.....anyone who would pick another artist over the host artiist's forum, deserves a rebutle. Maybe if we were comparing "Pulse" you might have a debate. Even "Watersless," Pulse is a great compilation and a classic performance, but you don't disrespect the host. It's like LeBron wearing a Yankee's hat in the Indian's house. A true Zeppie NEVER needs a a break.

No Offence, just an opinion.

B)B)B)B)B)

• 3 months later...

Live at Pompeii- yes because

1. I love the scenery.

2. I love the music.

3. I've watched it nearly a hundred times, and never yawned once.

TSRTS no because:

1. The editing sucks- take a look at John Paul Jone's stage outfits on various songs and you'll see one minute he's wearing a white shirt, the next a jacket, back to the white shirt, etc.

2. It's depressing- filmed all over the East Coast with pregnant teenagers and tough cops.

3. Robert's character role takes up 2 songs. Yawn.

ps- if I have room for only one dvd, then how much room do I have for a player?

;)

I haven't seen Live at Pompeii - and I don't think I wiLL. :rolleyes: I Like PF sometimes. And mostLy my pink fLoyd Love ends when I Listen them for over 5 minutes or something. And Their songs are mostLy..over 10 minutes :D:rolleyes: Brainwashing. Not in a good way.

I can NEVER get tired of Zep, Like most of us. WhiLe I'm Listening them I can do nothing but dreaming and surprising at how music can be so magicaL. But when it comes to fLoyd, I'd Like to Listen them when I'm..studying physics or something. :D

(Not saying Hey you and is there anybody out there etc.. wait they're Less than 5 min aLready :blink::D ..)

• 3 months later...
So why would my opinion count? I'll tell you.....anyone who would pick another artist over the host artiist's forum, deserves a rebutle. Maybe if we were comparing "Pulse" you might have a debate. Even "Watersless," Pulse is a great compilation and a classic performance, but you don't disrespect the host. It's like LeBron wearing a Yankee's hat in the Indian's house. A true Zeppie NEVER needs a a break.

No Offence, just an opinion.

B)B)B)B)B)

Here, Here.

• 2 weeks later...
However, they are two different feels in terms of movies. Pompeii is more of a documentary, whereas TSRTS was arranged to be a movie experience rather than a purely live performance.

NOTE: Pink Floyd was NOT HUGELY FAMOUS YET -- the Pompeii documentary was filmed while the band was working on their yet-unreleased Dark Side album, so they had not achieved world-wide success (yes, they were a known band, but not "superstars" just yet).

Echoes (Pt. I) and One of These Days are absolutely flawless (one of my all-time favorite Floydian bits is the funky beat mid-section of Echoes that would put Parliment Funkadelic to shame, ha ha).

To film in an ancient, crumbling stadium with the band alone 'cept a film crew, to see bubbling lava, to see ancient erotic artwork (esp. the woman about to suck a horse's naughty bit), etc., makes this a very cool movie ...

But, still I would have to go with The Song Remains The Same.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Probably my #1 and 2 bands.

I prefer Live at Pompeii. Just cool to see them in that element.

If you could see the entire Zep performances without the fantasy sequences it would probably win out. Would really love to see the playing on No Quarter and TSTRS/RS

• 4 months later...

Not sure - never seen the Pink Floyd film, and tried watching TSRTS about three years ago, lost interest, and just left it on for background noise while I ate chili.

But, I have been listening to the TSRTS album quite a bit lately, especially Misty Mountain Hop and Since I've Been Loving You.

Archived