Outrider (1988)

On 3/12/2017 at 4:14 AM, SteveAJones said:

EDITED: Only two, Cleveland and Dayton, however neither was broadcast in it's entirety. 

https://www.discogs.com/Jimmy-Page-Superstar-Concert-Series/release/6971367

On 3/17/2017 at 7:17 PM, luvlz2 said:

Thanks for the pointer (link). Ordered and waiting on it!  :)

Just got it today and just got done listening to it, Albums are in pristine shape. Sounds incredible! Steve, do you have any pictures from the Dayton or Cleveland concerts you could post? Thanks for the pictures from The Ritz in NYC in the previous post!

Edited by luvlz2

• 1 year later...

Coming up on the 30th anniversary of Outrider released June 19,1988. Unless you had a cassette player and were attentive listening to the radio and recording Outrider specials/songs when aired, you would have to wait for the album to hit record store shelves, no youtube instant play back then. Still would absolutely love an expanded box set with a show from the tour.

Edited by luvlz2

4 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

Coming up on the 30th anniversary of Outrider released June 19,1988. Unless you had a cassette player and were attentive listening to the radio and recording Outrider specials/songs when aired, you would have to wait for the album to hit record store shelves, no youtube instant play back then. Still would absolutely love an expanded box set with a show from the tour.

That would be a great idea (for JP to re-release an expanded Outrider set with live Westwood broadcast, dvd footage, extras) 

R😎🎸👍

4 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

I remember reading about Page being crestfallen when the original demos for Outrider were stolen from his home and it was originally intended to be a double album.

Were these demos ever recovered or did they ever surface on bootleg?

These demos could make an interesting Alt Outrider as part of any anniversary boxset.

I think demand for an Outrider re-release would be minimal however, and it would have to be a Page website only job, like DW 2.

Edited by Boleskinner

59 minutes ago, Boleskinner said:

I remember reading about Page being crestfallen when the original demos for Outrider were stolen from his home and it was originally intended to be a double album.

Were these demos ever recovered or did they ever surface on bootleg?

These demos could make an interesting Alt Outrider as part of any anniversary boxset.

I think demand for an Outrider re-release would be minimal however, and it would have to be a Page website only job, like DW 2.

I agree with you about the demand for an Outrider re-release probably being minimal at this point, would be nice for some of us diehards though. I've believe the demos surfaced on bootleg, there is one track floating around on youtube called Judas Touch.

Edited by luvlz2

• 8 months later...
11 hours ago, bluecongo said:

How were ticket sales for LA Forum show ? Was it a sellout ? 

I believe so. Slash from Guns 'n Roses was there, and said afterward "Man, I love Jimmy Page but he bores the f*ck out of me sometimes". 😄

Negative review below from the Los Angeles Times, October 10, 1988

1988 10 10 Los Angeles Times.jpg

• 7 months later...
On 2/20/2019 at 7:56 PM, SteveAJones said:

I believe so. Slash from Guns 'n Roses was there, and said afterward "Man, I love Jimmy Page but he bores the f*ck out of me sometimes". 😄

Negative review below from the Los Angeles Times, October 10, 1988

1988 10 10 Los Angeles Times.jpg

What a nasty, mean spirited review.  I wasn’t at the Forum but I saw two shows back east and have numerous bootlegs and I have a hard time imagining his playing on that tour being “embarrassingly sloppy.”  I also hate the idea that Jimmy Page was not supposed to do Jimmy Page things and play Jimmy Page things.  Thank God he didn’t sound like he was trying to be “modern” I wouldn’t want him to do a “Shaken N Stirred.”

Steve, where’d that Slash quote come from? Never heard that one before..

I attended the show at the Mesa Amphitheater and it was anything but boring. Page put on one hell of a show that night. Mason Ruffner opened up for him which was a good pairing of artists as well. The weather was perfect, great music, and a very groovy vibe in general.

I really can't blame Slash for his opinion though as Page was doing stuff like Liquid Mercury and Rites of Winter which was miles away from the material on Appetite for Destruction or Lies.

Edited by PeaceFrogYum

8 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

I really can't blame Slash for his opinion though as Page was doing stuff like Liquid Mercury and Rites of Winter which was miles away from the material on Appetite for Destruction or Lies.

Don't forget She Moved Through the Fair, uh, I mean White Summer.

Page had some cheek putting his name for a song writing credit on this. my opinion is that most the charges of plagiarism are Planty's fault for using old blues lyrics. But claiming this as his own is well below the belt and hasn't done page any favours in later more recent years when charges of theft have been put his way

On 10/14/2019 at 6:36 PM, SteveAJones said:

I've checked and I do not. I do have this one from the London shows.

That is a nice pic and  thx for looking. The pic I saw once is unique cause both Gretzky and Page arrived at LA Forum that same week and the marquee 'welcomed' both on the same Forum parking lot signage. Wayne's first home game as a King was Oct 06 1988 (beat the Wings 8-2. Ouch) and Jimmy played on the 7th.  Two of the "Greatest" played same venue on consecutive nights. I always wondered if Jimmy &band took in the game? It was first Kings home opener sell out in decades.

12 hours ago, jsj said:

Page had some cheek putting his name for a song writing credit on this. my opinion is that most the charges of plagiarism are Planty's fault for using old blues lyrics. But claiming this as his own is well below the belt and hasn't done page any favours in later more recent years when charges of theft have been put his way

I would not go that far in blaming Page, especially for White Summer. You may have missed the introduction when the MC said, "his version" of She Moved Through the Fair. Graham did not write SMTTF, that was a centuries old Celtic tune. He re-interpreted the original arrangement with an Indian vibe and changes and tuning. I guess you may have not heard the original as it sounds nothing like Graham's version.

White Summer is just a re-interpretation of a re-interpretation of a centuries old song in the public domain. That is not plagiarism.

7 hours ago, otto48313 said:

That is a nice pic and  thx for looking. The pic I saw once is unique cause both Gretzky and Page arrived at LA Forum that same week and the marquee 'welcomed' both on the same Forum parking lot signage. Wayne's first home game as a King was Oct 06 1988 (beat the Wings 8-2. Ouch) and Jimmy played on the 7th.  Two of the "Greatest" played same venue on consecutive nights. I always wondered if Jimmy &band took in the game? It was first Kings home opener sell out in decades.

If you find that photo again please post it here!

I seriously doubt Page or his band mates attended Gretzky's home debut in Los Angeles. I do show on that day Page granted a live interview over the phone with Los Angeles FM rock station KNAC, which I have posted here and elsewhere. Additionally, he was interviewed by MTV and the Los Angeles Times in his suite on the 14th floor of Mondrian Los Angeles on the Sunset Strip. So as you can see, his focus at the time was promoting his first solo album and tour.