Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
EddieShouldHaveListened

Favorite/Best version of Since I've Been Loving You

From what I've heard, Tokyo 23/09/71. Dramatic and powerful.

However, I will have to say that SIBLY is one of the few Zep songs that I never thought improved upon the studio version in the live setting. Most of their songs do, but the studio version of SIBLY is just so powerful, well-paced and dramatic, and Plant nails the vocals in a way he never really seemed to do so in any of the live versions I've heard.

4 hours ago, Cosmic_Equilibrium said:

From what I've heard, Tokyo 23/09/71. Dramatic and powerful.

However, I will have to say that SIBLY is one of the few Zep songs that I never thought improved upon the studio version in the live setting. Most of their songs do, but the studio version of SIBLY is just so powerful, well-paced and dramatic, and Plant nails the vocals in a way he never really seemed to do so in any of the live versions I've heard.

I have to say, and it pains me to say it, that I sort of agree with you here.  I always really try to like it, and some shows I do, but others I just sort of zone out.  Surely being there in person would have been a different story...

8 hours ago, Bonzo_fan said:

I have to say, and it pains me to say it, that I sort of agree with you here.  I always really try to like it, and some shows I do, but others I just sort of zone out.  Surely being there in person would have been a different story...

This is a live Zep tune I literally NEVER skip thru.  Love it. All of them... especially the '77 versions.  The 4/28/77 version, as Luis Rey puts it, is "drama and theatrics at its best". 7:22 to 7:40 is just fantastic.

I'll give two.

First is the BBC Sessions version. Plant is very understated, almost crooning the chorus. 

Second isn't a Zep version but the Page/Plant Unledded live. I think that is staggeringly good. Vocal from Plant is amazing and Page's solo and playing on it is perfect.

Watching the official DVD and during the credits bit for the MSG part, there has a snip that sounds absolutely fantastic.

I can't find a complete recording of this version. Does one exist?

According to The Garden Tape site

"Playing on the Madison Square Garden Menu on DVD Two is Since I've Been Loving You from the feature itself. This particular segment of the song is from 27th July 1973."

Was listening to the 06/25/77 show today and SIBLY is excellent. Jimmy is on, on this song in particular imo. The 23rd is still limited my favourite from the year but this version is really good.

On 9/28/2013 at 11:07 PM, nick2632 said:

Any 73' version is best with so much enthusiasm, but 80' versions are pretty good too! They mixed a little bit of the solo from Tea For One in it. I haven't yet given Zeppelin 77' the proper respect it deserves, but I'm sure it was great then too.

To me this is the best version if since I have been loving you . There were better solos and longer versions but plants voice is just amazing here and the way he changes the lyrics is awesome 

I love the versions from the '73 NA tour.  TSRTS has already been justly mentioned, I'd also say the Seattle and Buffalo versions are fantastic as well.