Led Zeppelin Photo Mysteries

SteveAJones

On 3/3/2016 at 10:22 AM, thozil said:

Another photo with the discs...this one by Ian Stewart taken during the "a Degree of Murder" sessions with Brian Jones (could be Feb 11th, 67 according this Rolling Stones database).

5050966.jpg

I have read that the date is Sept 5 1966 on Page's website. Who is the drummer in the glass? Kenney Jones is the only name I could find related to that session, and that sure ain't him. 

11 minutes ago, bcarter690 said:

Thank you. I'm aware. What's a mystery is that its not part of the footage seen in 'DVD'

Ah I see, sorry. I thought that was a GIF made from  DVD menu footage from that gig. I'm sure I've seen it somewhere on the dvd.

Edited by porgie66

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 4:37 AM, LZ77 said:

Not sure where else to post this but this is a mystery to me. I didn't know that Ticketron sold tickets for Knewborth 1979:

http://knebworth19790811 ticketron_zps45k9x7rg.

I saw this same ticket elsewhere. Consensus seemed to be it's not legitimate...possibly banged out by a bored or mischievous person working a ticket counter somewhere in the states.

35 minutes ago, porgie66 said:

Looks like Zach Galafanakis worked for Showco...talking to JP. 

I believe the other gentleman is a roadie nicknamed Magnet, who is still good friends with Robert to this day. I believe there are photos of Magnet in the Led Zeppelin Entourage thread, the most famous of which is Robert holding him upside down. 

27 minutes ago, porgie66 said:

I have read that the date is Sept 5 1966 on Page's website. Who is the drummer in the glass? Kenney Jones is the only name I could find related to that session, and that sure ain't him. 

The soundtrack was recorded at IBC Studios between late 1966 and early 1967 with all music composed, arranged and produced by Brian (with Glyn Johns engineering). The soundtrack also featured session musicians  Nicky Hopkins (piano) and Peter Gosling (background vocals) in addition to Page. Brian played all the other instruments including: sitar, organ, recorder, banjo, harpsichord, autoharp, dulcimer, clarinet, and harmonica.

In the March 10, 1967 official press release, Brian explained that he used players

"ranging from one musician to ten. I ran the gamut of line-ups - from the conventional brass combination to a country-band with Jew's harp, violin and banjo. In the main the musicians were established session men - though some of the boys from the group also played."
I too have seen Kenney Jones credited as the drummer time and time again, but of course that is not Kenney Jones. Given Brian Jones statement above, it literally could be anyone. However, Bill Wyman has refuted he (Wyman) was involved, and there is nothing to suggest any of the other Stones were involved either.
Edited to add: Looking at those two photos again it seems to me the drummer image is superimposed and not actually a reflection in the glass. In other words, it's a theme or motif shot as opposed to a historically accurate shot. I could be wrong.
Edited by SteveAJones

1 hour ago, porgie66 said:

Ah I see, sorry. I thought that was a GIF made from  DVD menu footage from that gig. I'm sure I've seen it somewhere on the dvd.

Fair enough. My mistake, actually. Sam pointed out that this footage is available on the newsreel footage ( link that he posted). I didn't recall seeing it there when I had seen it a while ago. And it was notable as its not included on the DVD.

Perhaps its wishful thinking on my part, but maybe this short clip of newsreel footage means there's more footage somewhere.

9 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

The soundtrack was recorded at IBC Studios between late 1966 and early 1967 with all music composed, arranged and produced by Brian (with Glyn Johns engineering). The soundtrack also featured session musicians  Nicky Hopkins (piano) and Peter Gosling (background vocals) in addition to Page. Brian played all the other instruments including: sitar, organ, recorder, banjo, harpsichord, autoharp, dulcimer, clarinet, and harmonica.

In the March 10, 1967 official press release, Brian explained that he used players

"ranging from one musician to ten. I ran the gamut of line-ups - from the conventional brass combination to a country-band with Jew's harp, violin and banjo. In the main the musicians were established session men - though some of the boys from the group also played."
I too have seen Kenney Jones credited as the drummer time and time again, but of course that is not Kenney Jones. Given Brian Jones statement above, it literally could be anyone. However, Bill Wyman has refuted he (Wyman) was involved, and there is nothing to suggest any of the other Stones were involved either.
Edited to add: Looking at those two photos again it seems to me the drummer image is superimposed and not actually a reflection in the glass. In other words, it's a theme or motif shot as opposed to a historically accurate shot. I could be wrong.

It wasn't September 5th, 66 since Jimmy was either in California or on his way to Hawaii with the Yardbirds. Jimmy's web site just used the first date from the Rolling Stones database, but other dates are listed (e.g  the 11th of February).

The image of the drummer definitely looks out of place. I seem to recall that the photos were taken by Ian Stewart. Maybe he was behind the "collage".

Edited by thozil

11 hours ago, corduroyg said:

who are those 2 girls? and does anyone have more pictures of them??  :D

ny77-drake3.jpg

There's a photo of Page taken the same day with a woman who was photographed with him again years later. So I think it's fair to say they are casual acquaintances at a minimum, and possibly more. 

16 hours ago, corduroyg said:

who are those 2 girls? and does anyone have more pictures of them??  :D

ny77-drake3.jpg

One could speculate they are groupies, however groupies did not dress like that as they are wearing what was considered semi-professional or office casual clothes for the period. It looks like 77' NY so I will go with the possibility these are the ladies who staffed the Swan Song office in NY.

25 minutes ago, IpMan said:

One could speculate they are groupies, however groupies did not dress like that as they are wearing what was considered semi-professional or office casual clothes for the period. It looks like 77' NY so I will go with the possibility these are the ladies who staffed the Swan Song office in NY.

their bodies are smokin whoever they are! 

3 hours ago, IpMan said:

It is New York...June 1977...in front of The Plaza Hotel...and they are walking towards a waiting vehicle. I too thought it could be Janine Safer and or Shelley Kaye from the Swan Song Office but I don't have any photos at arm's reach with which to make a comparison. 

7 minutes ago, Mook said:

The drummer looks like Rufus 'Speedy' Jones to me.

Yes! Very much so. I still am fascinated by these images. It looks to me like a reflection of the control room glass, not a montage or superimposed but that's definitely a possibility. 

1 minute ago, SteveAJones said:

It is New York...June 1977...in front of The Plaza Hotel...and they are walking towards a waiting vehicle. I too thought it could be Janine Safer and or Shelley Kaye from the Swan Song Office but I don't have any photos at arm's reach with which to make a comparison. 

That's my thought too. I think there is video footage of this scene as well , might be wrong. They look more "officious" somehow than just groupies. 

4 minutes ago, porgie66 said:

Yes! Very much so. I still am fascinated by these images. It looks to me like a reflection of the control room glass, not a montage or superimposed but that's definitely a possibility. 

There are trombones in the first photo (of Page)...I don't think there are any trombones on the soundtrack.

Not to mention Rufus "Speedy" Jones died June 16, 1948.

Edited by SteveAJones

5 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

There are trombones in the first photo (of Page)...I don't think there are any trombones on the soundtrack.

Not to mention Rufus "Speedy" Jones died June 16, 1948.

Thats not correct about Speedy. He played with Basie, Duke Ellington and James Brown in the 60's. I have a few records with him playing. I think he was active even in the 80's. 

Rufus "Speedy" Jones
Born May 27, 1936
Died April 25, 1990 (aged 53)
Genres Jazz
Occupation(s) Drummer
Instruments Drums
Years active 1950s–1990
Associated acts Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Maynard Ferguson, Lionel Hampton, Henry "Red" Allen, James Brown

I suppose they could've used some stock session photos to create a hip montage . Were these pics used as promo?? That would make sense then. 

Edited by porgie66

1 hour ago, porgie66 said:

Thats not correct about Speedy. He played with Basie, Duke Ellington and James Brown in the 60's. I have a few records with him playing. I think he was active even in the 80's. 

Rufus "Speedy" Jones
Born May 27, 1936
Died April 25, 1990 (aged 53)
Genres Jazz
Occupation(s) Drummer
Instruments Drums
Years active 1950s–1990
Associated acts Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Maynard Ferguson, Lionel Hampton, Henry "Red" Allen, James Brown

I suppose they could've used some stock session photos to create a hip montage . Were these pics used as promo?? That would make sense then. 

Wow, nice work. That absolutely looks like Rufus Jones. Querying on Google actually brings up images from what looks to be the same photo session. So the Degree of Murder session photos somehow have unrelated(?) photos of Rufus Jones overlaid onto them. What about the silhouette on the right?

RJ.jpg