"Saturday Night Fever" Soundtrack

lzzoso

I consider myself to be one of the Biggest Led Zeppelin of All-Time (as I am sure alot of You out there feel the same way as me about LZ).

However, almost every time the movie "Saturday Night Fever" comes on VH1 (or any other channel), I always watch it no matter what part of the movie I happen to catch it at. Beginning, middle or near the end. I think it is a "classic" movie in every sense of the word. Of course this is just my opinion. I was only 6 years old when this movie came out (1977) and I faintly remember seeing it in the movie theaters at that time with my parents.

Anyway, my questions is: Does the Music from this movie resonate and move you the way that it moves me? The reason I ask this is because I am the Biggest Led Zeppelin fan and a fan of "Classic Rock" in general. And most of us would consider the soundtrack to the movie "Saturday Night Fever" as purely "Disco" music. I will end with this: whether "Led Zeppelin" or "Disco" music, I know "Great Music" when I hear it. And I think that the "Saturday Night Fever" soundtrack is "Great" music. Agree or Disagree?..

I love the movie and the music; I still watch it every couple of years. As I recall, it came out in '77, which was a pretty big year for rock music also (my favorite bands at least). I was almost 12; I was starting to buy rock albums, and doing the Hustle in my friend's basement with all my friends. Nothing wrong with liking rock and disco IMO. :)

I also think it's fascinating to read about the disco/studio 54 scene and what was going on culturally/musically/politically at the time. Vanity Fair recently ran a story about it (actually it was more of a collection of memories from celebrities who had been part of the scene).

I love Saturday Night Fever. I have the 25th anniversary DVD re-issue AND I have the soundtrack on vinyl! I think rock fans who shit on disco because it's light and not full of substance are missing the point of the music. Not all music needs to be deep and profound. Sometimes it just needs to sound good and get your ass off the chair and disco is good for that.

Besides, I think the Bee Gees got unfairly dumped on by people - those muthas could sing.

I've always loved that soundtrack & movie. That movie came out when I was about 6 & it was huge in my neighborhood. I grew up & literally lived 2 blocks away from the Verrazano Bridge which has 3 very important scenes in the movie. So beyond how good the actual soundtrack & movie are I have strong nostalgic feelings that I associate with that era as they really are my first memories. People in certain parts Staten Island where I'm from & Bay Ridge Brooklyn still dress & act like Tony Monero so it's a bit funny both good & bad to me. Anyway my favorite scene is Tony talking to Stephanie in the park with the Verrazano as the backdrop with Tony giving his unique description of the bridge's history. I also love Tony on the train with the Bee Gee's "How Deep Is Your Love" playing behind him. Great songs, great movie.

Last night, the Biography Channel had a program about the making of "Saturday Night Fever".

A few tidbits from the show:

At one point, they decided not to use the Bee Gee's music. After much debate, producer Robert Stigwood insisted on having their music in the film. (Stigwood was the Bee Gee's manager.)

The script was extremely long, and had to be pared down considerably. The original director, John G. Avidsen, was fired just three weeks before shooting was to begin, and he was replaced by John Badham.

The filming on location in Brooklyn was constantly being disrupted by John Travolta's groupies, the mob, neighborhood kids (who were being portrayed as the characters in the film), and many others. They had to use Travolta look-a-likes as decoys and to film in the early morning so that the groupies wouldn't interrupt the shoot.

Stigwood discovered Travolta on Welcome Back Kotter tv show and signed him for three films. The showcase film for Travolta was going to be Grease, and Saturday Night Fever was to be a warm-up to the second film, Grease. But it proved to be just as big a hit. I think that the third movie was Stayin' Alive.

The movie was based on an article in New York Magazine by the Brit Nick Cohn titled "Tribal Rites of the New Saturday Night". It supposedly was a true story about the kids in Brooklyn and the weekend disco scene, but Cohn admitted years later that the story was fabricated, and not totally true, and he even based the characters on the Mods of London, not the Brooklyn kids.

The other actors in the film had difficulty finding work after the release of the movie, as they were stereotyped with the roles that they played in SNF.

I liked the movie, but for me, it has a depressing feel to it. The characters just seemed so lonely. They didn't have a true, deep connection with each other. All of their interactions with each other was on a superficial level, even though they shared intimacies. John Travolta's character was seeking a true intimate relationship, and the last scene with Stephanie shows a true connection between them, giving hope for Tony to achieve what he is seeking. To me, that portrays the essence of what the disco scene was: lonely people seeking a deeper bond with another, but not being able to acheive it.

Archived