Cherie Currie on meeting Robert Plant

BillyMacQ

http://www.shockhound.com/features/1075-the-runaways--cherie-currie-s-true-confessions-joan-jett-and-the-blackhearts

The Runaways Cherie Currie, wonder where she is or what she is doing these days?

Shockhound.com interviewed Cherie Currie recently and discovered that 35-years after her rock n’ roll days, Cherie is a chainsaw artist!

In this interview Cherie, now a 50-year-old mother, talks about sex, drugs and rock n’ roll, what else?

SHOCKHOUND: One of the earliest images of the Runaways that ran in Rolling Stone had all of you wearing matching Runaways T-shirts, meeting Robert Plant backstage.

CHERIE CURRIE: That’s right. That was in the very beginning. And meeting Robert was really neat. I mean, my God, he’s legendary! But he was just the nicest guy, and that was what was so weird about him — he was so nice. And it just made me think “Wow — there are actually really nice rock gods out there.” But what I really liked about Robert Plant was the fact that Kim Fowley, I think, was trying to get Robert to…well, Robert thought I was really cute. But he said, “No, no — I’m married, and I stay true to my wife.” And I’ll never forget that — I thought it was pretty cool.

Love,

Billy

I've been trying to find a direct quote from Lita Ford that I have from Rip magazine in 1990 in which she says that when she was in The Runaways that Robert Plant & Jimmy Page were talking to her in a club & asked her if she knew how to play bass & if she would ever consider joining Led Zeppelin lol. She said it, not I. She continued to say she didn't think they were happy with JPJ at the time but it blew her mind that these guys would consider her for the band. I'm still on the search for that quote as I had that magazine out of storage 3 months ago & when I do find it I'll post her direct quote in the "What the famous say about Led Zeppelin" thread.

Hi all,

I've been trying to find a direct quote from Lita Ford that I have from Rip magazine in 1990 in which she says that when she was in The Runaways that Robert Plant & Jimmy Page were talking to her in a club & asked her if she knew how to play bass & if she would ever consider joining Led Zeppelin lol. She said it, not I. She continued to say she didn't think they were happy with JPJ at the time but it blew her mind that these guys would consider her for the band. I'm still on the search for that quote as I had that magazine out of storage 3 months ago & when I do find it I'll post her direct quote in the "What the famous say about Led Zeppelin" thread.

That would be cool,... B)

Remember it's only Rock and Roll,...

KB

• 5 years later...
On 3/16/2010 at 4:17 PM, kaiser said:

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/02/runaways-lita-ford-was-asked-to-replace-john-paul-jones-in-led-zeppelin/

I know it might be old news by now.

I can't believe Plant was serious if this indeed happened.

On 3/16/2010 at 3:17 PM, kaiser said:

It's a good rock story, but I don't buy it for a minute.  Even if Plant and Page ever considered replacing JPJ (a very big if, imo) , the idea that they would have replaced him with an inexperienced teenager is ludicrous.  

Replacing Jones?

Do I think Plant could have said that?  Sure why not, but as far as being serious? Haha no hell as
if.  Makes for a "story" to tell a group of people sitting around knocking back some drinks. Nothing
more.

Lita is basically same age as Lori M.  Was she asked to take over for Jones at the age of 15 in '73? 
Because that wouldn't have looked completely ridiculous at all now would it.  3 grown men married
/ living common law with a partner traveling abroad with a teenage girl in and out of the UK to other
countries
"And the 15 year girl traveling with you today Mr. Page is your neice...little sister? "Uh no
we work together and are business partners"  
Yeah no raised eyebrows :huh: going through airport
customs with that one now is there.
:lol:

I realize Plant could have been bull shitting with her in the late 70's when she was over 18,  but still a  
a crock no mater if it was said or not.  I do think it's cool she is recognized for her role in a male dominated
area in music though. 

Now
 if she actually believes Plant was serious, than I'll sell her the land I own on Mars. ;)

Yeah her not being a bass player is obviously numero uno factor - not the age thing,  but 
her possibly being a kid when Plant asked her only makes the manure pile that much higher.
I read her D O B and the fact she was only 10 when L Z formed just added to the silliness of
the whole article.  She sounds a bit like she believed he was being serious. 
:blink:

Oh well her story to tell.  Maybe she can change it up and say Plant asked her if she would
consider taking over for Jimmy in Zep.  I'm sure Peter Grant would have said oh yeah sure go
right on ahead.  #Sarcasm

On 3/1/2016 at 7:56 PM, KellyGirl said:

Yeah her not being a bass player is obviously numero uno factor - not the age thing,  but 
her possibly being a kid when Plant asked her only makes the manure pile that much higher.
I read her D O B and the fact she was only 10 when L Z formed just added to the silliness of
the whole article.  She sounds a bit like she believed he was being serious. 
:blink:

Oh well her story to tell.  Maybe she can change it up and say Plant asked her if she would
consider taking over for Jimmy in Zep.  I'm sure Peter Grant would have said oh yeah sure go
right on ahead.  #Sarcasm

I totally agree with both of your points

IMO I think Plant was using a bad pickup line and had no intention of actually giving her the job.

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 11:10 AM, Moddey Dhoo said:

I totally agree with both of your points

IMO I think Plant was using a bad pickup line and had no intention of actually giving her the job.

Too true Moddey!    I'm just glad it never happened.  

On ‎2‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 3:24 PM, ScarletMacaw said:

The reason it's ridiculous is because she wasn't even a bass player, not because she was an underage girl.

Actually, Lita Ford originally auditioned for the band as the bass player......

On March 4, 2016 at 1:09 PM, Stryder1978 said:

Actually, Lita Ford originally auditioned for the band as the bass player......

The real funk to this is Michael Steele (later with the Bangles) was the original bass player for the Runaways. She left pretty early on after Kim Fowley tried to assault her. Supposedly he gave it a go and she knocked him on his ass and quit the band. Too bad Kim was such a complete piece of shit, Steele was / is a very talented bass player and writer, she would have given depth to the group as she did with the Bangles...all of their (Bangles) really good tunes were written by her.

• 2 weeks later...

Ferchrissakes! Doesn't anyone use common-sense anymore? You would have to be a real imbecile to think that Plant and Page asked Lita Ford to join in 1973. The Runaways weren't even a band then, so Lita Ford wouldn't have even been a known entity to anyone attached to Led Zeppelin at that point.

This obviously was in the late-70s after the Runaways had made the scene, and it was just a drunken exchange made in jest. Maybe Page and Plant were upset with Jones switching to Alembic basses and his creeping "ELP" mannerisms in his piano solos in 1977.

Archived