Dazed and Confused 73or 75

downtime672

Overall definately 73 for me, the German shows contain some of the best ever versions and the US and british shows arent far behind. That said I do enjoy most versions from 75 alot up to the bow solo, a bit less "busy" and more heavy that previous years which makes a great atmosphere. The problem is that the following 2/3rds often sound workmanlike to me, only towards the end of the US tour did they start to really take off.

I have to go with 73 as well. Bradford and Oxford may not be the best sounding soundboards out there but both contain unbelievable performances of Dazed And Confused

As I attended the 1973 New Orleans event :notworthy: ...I have to say it was unbelievable and as it was my first time to see them live. I was 13 and already waited 4 years to see them!!

Conney shared these a few weeks ago:-)

Part 2

Part 3

I also attended the 1975 event in Baton Rouge, and this was beyond amazing. These men just took you on a different journey at each event...and don't even get me started on Moby Dick at both of these events.

1975 Dazed and Confused (1/4)- thanks to Grubbsy

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

I ask you ladies and gentlemen, how do I choose? :wall:

:D

Thank you, Deborah J. I've listened to both versions and it's really hard to say which one is better. I'm not an expert but I would choose 73 one. But this doesn't mean 2nd is worse. It's just different. I really envy you attended these shows, Deborah :rolleyes:

Thank you, Deborah J. I've listened to both versions and it's really hard to say which one is better. I'm not an expert but I would choose 73 one. But this doesn't mean 2nd is worse. It's just different. I really envy you attended these shows, Deborah :rolleyes:

Hello Amusedoxi!

Thanks for your response. I can't pick one over the other. To be at these events was such an emotional experience. It was a state of euphoria, they were just so magnificent live.

I envy (in a good way) those that experienced the 02.. I was one of the millions trying to get a ticket!!

I suppose I would just say 73' since they are probably a little more tight. But they very similar.

I just prefer those with San Francisco, Woodstock did not go along with the music the band played in the section (especially Page whose guitar work is some of my fav.).

Hi,

I suppose 1973, although I quite like some of the 1975 versions as well, but much depends on my mood, I like some of the earlier ones too.

Deborah sorry had to peek at your profile when you said you saw them as I couldn't believe you were old enough to see them in 1973, you certainly don't look your age. Seems you started a lot younger than me anyway first saw them in 1972 at Ally Pally when I was 16, wasn't a fan then, but my cousin had been dumped by his girlfriend so had a spare ticket.

Andy

Hi,

I suppose 1973, although I quite like some of the 1975 versions as well, but much depends on my mood, I like some of the earlier ones too.

Deborah sorry had to peek at your profile when you said you saw them as I couldn't believe you were old enough to see them in 1973, you certainly don't look your age. Seems you started a lot younger than me anyway first saw them in 1972 at Ally Pally when I was 16, wasn't a fan then, but my cousin had been dumped by his girlfriend so had a spare ticket.

Andy

Andy, I heard my first song when I was 9. I was in the Quarter with my Dad, and I was leaning on a brick wall and sitting on a sidewalk..as the pubs there have huge french Shutters that open to the sidewalk.All of a sudden I hear "I Can't Quit You Babe"...I stood up and asked my Dad to find out who that was!! I was 11 when I bought my first album after wearing my Mom and Dad out about it. :P

Seeing them live in 73...The Municiple Auditorium holds about 6000 so it's not a large venue and even though I was quite a few back from the front it was beholding to say the least.It completely ruined me for any other live band.

Then in Baton Rouge in 75, I was closer up and it was just complete awe. I was going in 77 to the New Orleans event but tragedy hit our Robert.

I was so lucky to be able to see them at that time...oh the 70's :D

Andy, I heard my first song when I was 9. I was in the Quarter with my Dad, and I was leaning of a brick wall and sitting on a sidewalk..as the pubs there have huge french Shutters that open to the sidewalk.All of a sudden I hear "I Can't Quit You Babe"...I stood up and asked my Dad to find out who that was!! I was 11 when I bought my first album after wearing my Mom and Dad out about it. :P

Seeing them live in 73...The Municiple Auditorium holds about 6000 so it's not a large venue and even though I was quite a few back from the front it was beholding to say the least.It completely ruined me for any other live band.

Then in Baton Rouge in 75, I was closer up and it was just complete awe. I was going in 77 to the New Orleans event but tragedy hit our Robert.

I was so lucky to be able to see them at that time...oh the 70's :D

Hi,

Same here missed out in 1973 but saw them twice at Earls Court (17th which was special because it was my birthday and 24th)and also the second Knebworth (nearly didn't go as I had sort of moved on a bit but my cousin, same one as 72 persuaded me, glad he did bearing in mind what happened).

Just been watching a DVD of 25th May (first time I had watched a Zep concert in full for ages, OK skipped through Moby Dick)and it bought back a lot of memories more so than just listening to CDs.

I guess being an old timer has it's advantages although it doesn't always seem like that.

Thanks for sharing

Andy

Hi,

Same here missed out in 1973 but saw them twice at Earls Court (17th which was special because it was my birthday and 24th)and also the second Knebworth (nearly didn't go as I had sort of moved on a bit but my cousin, same one as 72 persuaded me, glad he did bearing in mind what happened).

Just been watching a DVD of 25th May (first time I had watched a Zep concert in full for ages, OK skipped through Moby Dick)and it bought back a lot of memories more so than just listening to CDs.

I guess being an old timer has it's advantages although it doesn't always seem like that.

Thanks for sharing

Andy

Certainly...why would you skip Moby Dick??

Can't see a version of it on youtube but the version of DAC I listen to the most from 75 is definately the 25/3 LA show. Still has that brutal/atompsheric quality that alot of performances did from that year but Page also brings some of the 73 speed and fluidity aswell.

Add that a truely amazing recording, Millards best ever for me.

'73 definitely. D&C IMO should have been put out to pasture in 1975. It was almost like a cliche at that point. When they were performing "How Many More Times" during the January '75 shows, they were onto something, and really should have kept that in the setlist as opposed to D&C. It sounded a lot fresher, and wouldn't have made it seem like Zepp was playing it safe/resting on their laurels in '75 (a fairly common complaint of that tour)

I also agree that the "Woodstock" bit sorta falls flat...but then there's Plant trying to wrap his mouth around "For What It's Worth" in its place on March 21st... :blink: Now I know Robert was a big fan of Buffalo Springfield/CSNY but that 'tribute' didn't really work...wonder if Stephen Stills has ever heard it, and what he thought of it...

'73 definitely. D&C IMO should have been put out to pasture in 1975. It was almost like a cliche at that point. When they were performing "How Many More Times" during the January '75 shows, they were onto something, and really should have kept that in the setlist as opposed to D&C. It sounded a lot fresher, and wouldn't have made it seem like Zepp was playing it safe/resting on their laurels in '75 (a fairly common complaint of that tour)

I also agree that the "Woodstock" bit sorta falls flat...but then there's Plant trying to wrap his mouth around "For What It's Worth" in its place on March 21st... :blink: Now I know Robert was a big fan of Buffalo Springfield/CSNY but that 'tribute' didn't really work...wonder if Stephen Stills has ever heard it, and what he thought of it...

I'm a bit torn about 75, true alot of the performances ended up being rather workmanlike BUT when things really took off in the last 1/4 or so of the US tour Dazed was one of the highlights for me. To my ear the bands never really got back the tightness to make the shorter songs work that well, there are some good one off performances(and the acoustic set at EC) from show to show but its performances like Dazed, NQ, TU. IMTOD and the WLL funky jam that make the great shows from that year.

As I'v said before I think a happy medium might have been to keep DAC as far as the bow solo, (that section was generally good thoughout and what the fans really wanted to see) then merge it into something like In The Light the same way they did with In The Evening in 79.

I seem to be in the minority of this thread in regards to the 'Woodstock' segment during '75, it works perfectly imo. I prefer it to San Francisco, especially after a couple of cones. :D

But on the whole I would have to say '73 is a lot better. A lot of the '75 versions to my ears sounds like a band just going through the motions. Page was definitely not at his best for a lot of this tour because of the broken finger. (and the substances had just begun to take hold imho.) So for this reason the song loses a lot of its strength, which is Jimmy racing up and down his guitar neck during the section after the bow solo.

Imagine this: They play the song up until the end of the bow solo (lasers etc. included) and then Page goes into the drone for the beginning of In The Light and they proceed to play it. Jimmy and Robert's figures slowly appear out of dry ice as the song 'drops' so to speak. Now THAT would be epic!

Alas, they just weren't adventurous or confident enough it seems, to try a lot of new material in '75. Most likely due to Jimmy's finger and Robert's voice. Unfortunately, I believe the same happened in '77 (Robert's accident, the amount of substances that were around the band.)

Oops, I've gone a bit off topic. Rant over!

i think the two versions of dazed and confused are related to the sounds of the -houses of the holy and physical grffiti albums and tours themselves. with houses of the holy, they seemed to be showing off they're versatility as a band, taking a big step away from zep4 and making a different record. they were confident with the band identity and simply how good they were and were stretching dazed and confused on that 73 tour with alot of versatility and agility.

physical graffiti is all about strong construction, solid sounds. so with the 75 version they seem to keep the song structural and rely on the song itself. i even think they may have used the 75tour as a blueprint for the show for ahmet ertegun in 2007.

i prefer the 75versions, cause i've listened to -tsrts version so much over the yrs and for the last several yrs, been listening to the 75shows, which i never heard before. with the 75 sound, its zeppelin using their strength as a band with a really strong rhythmic base, allowing page and plant still to be creative, and the songs to work. its a richer sound for them all around.

with the 75tour setlist, stuff like trampled, imtod and kashmir, that version of dazed fits really well into the setlist.

even over the hills seems to have a heavier sound in 75, or more serious sound.

in 73, they may have been having more fun sonically, as i said almost showing off as a band. whatever the energy was, they did have a different sound and they really never sounded like that again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think overall the 1973 versions were probably better, only because they were generally less 'heavy-handed', and I think Jimmy's playing was more consistent on that tour. But I think the 'ethereal interlude' (San Francisco/Woodstock) was performed better on the 1975 tour; it sounds darker and more sinister.

I think overall the 1973 versions were probably better, only because they were generally less 'heavy-handed', and I think Jimmy's playing was more consistent on that tour. But I think the 'ethereal interlude' (San Francisco/Woodstock) was performed better on the 1975 tour; it sounds darker and more sinister.

My thoughts exactly!

In '73, for the May 18th show in Dallas, I think there wasn't much desire for them to go all out, because of JPJ'd bruised ribs.

But, in '75, they more than made up for not being in top form in '73 and '71 in Dallas. The atmosphere and presenation of D&C in 1975 was magical and elecrtic, from all members. From being there to see and hear it performed, I have to say that 1975 was the top year of D&C for me. Boy, what memories ! ! .... I wish I was 19 again.... but Zeppelin memories are a portal to the fountain of youth, aren't they :)

Archived