Dazed and Confused 73or 75

downtime672

'73 all day long. The '73 renditions were the pinnacle of the band's instrumental powers. Jimmy was fluent and fast, and Bonzo was at the top of his game. They really sizzled on this track, especially in March '73. The versions from '75 sound more like going through the motions, pretty good, but not inspired. Jimmy wasn't playing quite as well, his guitar tone wasn't as nasty, and as Luis Rey stated in his book, Bonham was "linear and boring" on the '75 tour.

'73 all day long. The '73 renditions were the pinnacle of the band's instrumental powers. Jimmy was fluent and fast, and Bonzo was at the top of his game. They really sizzled on this track, especially in March '73. The versions from '75 sound more like going through the motions, pretty good, but not inspired. Jimmy wasn't playing quite as well, his guitar tone wasn't as nasty, and as Luis Rey stated in his book, Bonham was "linear and boring" on the '75 tour.

:yesnod:

The whole '75 tour is a bit flat. Plus Plant's voice and Jimmy's finger didn't help. And the least exciting set list of any tour, I wish they could have included a few more tunes from PG. Don't get me wrong, there were some crazy awesome '75 shows! But I think that the sterile sound of those '75 soundboards make me enjoy those shows less.

I guess it's all a matter of opinion vs. atmosphere vs. presentation vs. other variables. I have several friends and family members who had seen them starting as early as 1970 and most agree 75' was their best year. Jimmy was still clean and everyones playing was at it's peak. Maybe Robert's voice was past peak but the later shows on the tour he sounds pretty good as well as Earls Court. Personally, from the boots and official stuff I have heard I think Earls Court would be the bands peak in general. Though imagine what 77' would have been like if Jimmy would have been sober. I personally believe Jimmy's addictions are what buried it for Robert. Once his son died, coupled with Jimmy's addiction and overall apathy, I believe Robert said to hell with this. I don't know what Jimmy and the others told him to get him to stay post 77' but it sure is clear his heart was not in it.

75' D&C for me any day!!!

Just saying, I've only recently started to collect '75 shows, letalone hear them, but I would like to go record as saying that 3/27/75 has to be one of my favorite Zep shows ever! Longest OtHaFA, longest DnC, what's not to love? The Earl's Court shows are all well and good, fantastic even, but I really dig those LA shows, as well as 3/21/75. Also, IMHO, Brussels '75 really seems to be underrated.

'75 for me. My all-time favorite version is 5-24-75 (37 years ago today). Every element came together in perfection in that performance, I feel. Also greatly enjoy:

2-12-75 (Maybe the best "San Francisco"?)

3-11-75

3-19-75

3-27-75

Perhaps what I like most about the '75 performances (at least in the later dates) is the solitary "noodling" Page did before the Woodstock/San Francisco/Whatever section. Don't know why, but I really dig it.

The whole '75 tour is a bit flat. Plus Plant's voice and Jimmy's finger didn't help. And the least exciting set list of any tour, I wish they could have included a few more tunes from PG. Don't get me wrong, there were some crazy awesome '75 shows! But I think that the sterile sound of those '75 soundboards make me enjoy those shows less.

I completely disagree. I think it was one of their best tours. Even though Page broke a finger, Robert had the flu(which started as cold but he underestimated Minnesota's winter and wore a blouse and light jacket when they go off the Starship at MSP airport) and Bonzo having diarrhea(I think), they did, IMO, a fantastic job touring. They dealt with it and pushed on. Sure, Plant's voice was shaky but the fact he'd rather play shows and attempt to sing shows that he was trying. Same with Jimmy. The fact he broke his ring finger, the most important finger for guitar playing if you ask me, a guitarist, and came up with the three-finger rule as he called it, shows he was also trying. Eventually, the shows got better from winter to early spring.

I've said this before on other threads and I'll say it again, from what I've heard from people around where I live that saw them in Bloomington in 1975, Plant kept apologizing for the status of the band. Even that being said, people have said the band was great and Jimmy played a very nice STH solo.

I love the set. I think the placement of the songs works. The key section right in the middle of the set is great. At least Jones' didn't have to stand, sit, stand, sit as he did on other tours. Some tours were like a Catholic mass :lol: without the kneeling. Trampled Underfoot is one of my favorite songs and the jam on it is just great! I love how Jones' switches up up the intro as well. Moby Dick is the best this year is you ask me. Bonzo really does a nice job with his build-ups. No Quarter is the best this year IMO. I like the later versions of it that were 20+. A few shows even get very jazzy. However, this being a thread about Dazed, like I said, unfortunately they cut the Circular Funk section. Stairway was also really good this year. the solo was long enough but not like 1977 or 1980 where IMO is obnoxiously long. Whole Lotta Love into Black Dog as encores I think is genius. It's not expected at all.

I think some shows sound a bit flat but turn on some EQ. I think Four Blocks in the Snow is really good. St. Valentine's Day Massacre, etc. The list goes on.

So my opinion is, based on all of these factors, I don't think 1975 had a sterile sound.

Just saying, I've only recently started to collect '75 shows, letalone hear them, but I would like to go record as saying that 3/27/75 has to be one of my favorite Zep shows ever! Longest OtHaFA, longest DnC, what's not to love? The Earl's Court shows are all well and good, fantastic even, but I really dig those LA shows, as well as 3/21/75. Also, IMHO, Brussels '75 really seems to be underrated.

I concur. The overall sound isn't to bad(if you have the remaster). They do some really good versions of songs. TSRTS is very good and Kashmir is very good; it's also very heavy. Very good show IMO.

No Quarter is the best this year IMO. I like the later versions of it that were 20+. A few shows even get very jazzy.

A big amen. The jazzy stuff ain't bad...but I like it dark and sinister versions. Sometimes the jazzy versions are a little too "light."

'75 for me. My all-time favorite version is 5-24-75 (37 years ago today). Every element came together in perfection in that performance, I feel. Also greatly enjoy:

2-12-75 (Maybe the best "San Francisco"?)

3-11-75

3-19-75

3-27-75

Perhaps what I like most about the '75 performances (at least in the later dates) is the solitary "noodling" Page did before the Woodstock/San Francisco/Whatever section. Don't know why, but I really dig it.

I totally agree, that's the same reason why I like almost any of the '75 DnC's.

I concur. The overall sound isn't to bad(if you have the remaster). They do some really good versions of songs. TSRTS is very good and Kashmir is very good; it's also very heavy. Very good show IMO.

Glad to see someone agrees, I thought for sure I was gonna catch flack for that and get told all the reasons why it apparently sucks.

• 1 month later...

Archived