What are the best Led Zep boots out there?

Electrophile

• 2 months later...

The classic shows on silver that will please any casual AOR lover;

1.Fatally Wanderer -Osaka sept.29th 1971 very little imagination needed. The band really comes alive here, just put on a headphones and listen to the on stage banter...my favourite Zep show.

2. Texas Pop 1969. Stunning audio quality and vibrant performance.

3. Listen to this Eddie- LA june 21th 1977. Three full length discs maybe a tad over the top, but you can always skip 'guitar solo', Moby Dick or No Quarter at your discretion.

These would be my cherry picks to impress any newbie. To complete the shortlist, I would continue with one of the 1973 Continental shows (Hamburg, Vienna, Essen, Berlin or Offenburg), Fillmore April 27th 1969 (first set) and maybe Montreux March 1970.

If the spirits are high, the time is right to go for the classics; BB Hill, Earl's Court, Badgeholders, Zürich, Tokyo, Florida 1971,...and time to get the drinks out !

The classic shows on silver that will please any casual AOR lover;

1.Fatally Wanderer -Osaka sept.29th 1971 very little imagination needed. The band really comes alive here, just put on a headphones and listen to the on stage banter...my favourite Zep show.

2. Texas Pop 1969. Stunning audio quality and vibrant performance.

3. Listen to this Eddie- LA june 21th 1977. Three full length discs maybe a tad over the top, but you can always skip 'guitar solo', Moby Dick or No Quarter at your discretion.

These would be my cherry picks to impress any newbie. To complete the shortlist, I would continue with one of the 1973 Continental shows (Hamburg, Vienna, Essen, Berlin or Offenburg), Fillmore April 27th 1969 (first set) and maybe Montreux March 1970.

If the spirits are high, the time is right to go for the classics; BB Hill, Earl's Court, Badgeholders, Zürich, Tokyo, Florida 1971,...and time to get the drinks out !

Numbers 2 and 3 on your list definitely. The Fillmore 69 a must also. I just don't get everyone's fascination with 9/29/71 other than it is a great performance. I've tried a couple different versions and it's just Bonham's cymbals crashing and an inaudible Plant that stand out most in the recordings to me. I guess I'm spoiled with the quality of the 75 boards and the 1/22/73 Southampton show that I have.

Again....Osaka 71' is a great performance, just wish it would surface in a more listen able form. B.B.Hill also. I had an MP3 of that, Cobla or (Cobra?) label I believe and, downloaded a FLAC file of the "best available" version (Empress Valley) which sounded WORSE in my opinion. I'll have to check out some of the others you have listed when I actually have the time to download them.

Bit of a newbie here (and a little more Purple than Zep, TBH!) but I recently got hold of "Snow Jobs" from Vancouver, March 19th '75 and can thoroughly recommend it :)

Me too along with St.Louis Blues and Four Blocks in the Snow from 75.

Numbers 2 and 3 on your list definitely. The Fillmore 69 a must also. I just don't get everyone's fascination with 9/29/71 other than it is a great performance. I've tried a couple different versions and it's just Bonham's cymbals crashing and an inaudible Plant that stand out most in the recordings to me. I guess I'm spoiled with the quality of the 75 boards and the 1/22/73 Southampton show that I have.

Again....Osaka 71' is a great performance, just wish it would surface in a more listen able form. B.B.Hill also. I had an MP3 of that, Cobla or (Cobra?) label I believe and, downloaded a FLAC file of the "best available" version (Empress Valley) which sounded WORSE in my opinion. I'll have to check out some of the others you have listed when I actually have the time to download them.

I had this issue when I first went to check this show out as well. It sounded pretty bad so I look for other versions and I finally got Fatally Wanderer but its still the same recording source so the sound issues you mentioned are there. The problem is it was recorded with a mic on stage and so drums and bass seems to be loudest, plant is not too audible when the instruments are all loud. But good headphones and intoxication really make this one more listenable. Force yourself to do it, your ears adjust to the quality. I had to do this same thing for Bath (which is even worse quality).

I had this issue when I first went to check this show out as well. It sounded pretty bad so I look for other versions and I finally got Fatally Wanderer but its still the same recording source so the sound issues you mentioned are there. The problem is it was recorded with a mic on stage and so drums and bass seems to be loudest, plant is not too audible when the instruments are all loud. But good headphones and intoxication really make this one more listenable. Force yourself to do it, your ears adjust to the quality. I had to do this same thing for Bath (which is even worse quality).

Yeah, Fatally Wanderer definitive edition. That's the one I got and, it is a little better with headphones. I only drink on weekends so I'll have to wait another day to see if that helps. :P

How come hardly anyone ever mentions Paris 10.10.69?

I'm working my way through all known LZ boots chronologically, and today I hit 10.10.69. 'Ho-hum, here comes just another underwater recording', I thought. WRONG!!! This is a TOTALLY INSANE performance! Everyone's on outstanding form, especially RP. IMO this is by far the best 68-69 performance I've heard. Plus we get to hear Heartbreaker for the first time, not to mention 'wanking dog'. What more could you ask for?

So come on, how come this is so overlooked? Is everyone pissed off because this stellar performance was wasted on the French? :D

The show is good, especially for 1971 standards. While the audio quality may not rival some of the 75 soundboards, it's certainly in league with some of the best recorded earlier shows (69-73). Not to mention, we get the only known performance of Friends and Bonzo's infamous acoustic set. B)

IMO, a must for any collector, beginner or seasoned vet.

The show is good, especially for 1971 standards. While the audio quality may not rival some of the 75 soundboards, it's certainly in league with some of the best recorded earlier shows (69-73). Not to mention, we get the only known performance of Friends and Bonzo's infamous acoustic set. cool.gif

Absolutely ! Love this gig and pretty much all of what the 71 shows have to offer. Can't go wrong IMHO.

As for Paris 10-10-69, my only complaint is the background echo that is ever present. Then again, maybe I just haven't heard a cleaned up version

I'm working my way through all known LZ boots chronologically, and today I hit 10.10.69. 'Ho-hum, here comes just another underwater recording', I thought. WRONG!!! This is a TOTALLY INSANE performance! Everyone's on outstanding form, especially RP. IMO this is by far the best 68-69 performance I've heard. Plus we get to hear Heartbreaker for the first time, not to mention 'wanking dog'. What more could you ask for?

So come on, how come this is so overlooked? Is everyone pissed off because this stellar performance was wasted on the French? :D

This is in top of 69 and its probably the best recording showing off plants vocals, but I find I like 8-31-69 more.

I love the improve plant does where he just tells some guy "shutup"

The show is good, especially for 1971 standards. While the audio quality may not rival some of the 75 soundboards, it's certainly in league with some of the best recorded earlier shows (69-73). Not to mention, we get the only known performance of Friends and Bonzo's infamous acoustic set. B)

Oh, it's staying on my hard drive and the headphones do help (I have a very good set) I just won't burn a CD and make my wife listen to it and I do admit to being spoiled after listening to the 75 stuff and L.T.T.E. 6-21-77.

I've read about a version called "Eddie Edwards Common Complaint, Rice In Hair" that's supposed to be the best but couldn't find it anywhere. Is this really an upgrade over Fatally Wanderer do you know?

Yes, this is great with the exception of some volume fluctuations in the version that I have. Mine's called "One Night Stand in Paris" and it doesn't have the French D.J. in it.

Again......admitting to being spoiled. Wish Jimmy would get off his ass and put some stuff out officially, maybe help to pay Jake Holmes if it comes down to it. Win/win situation?

I always wondered why Plant sounds so much better in Seattle 75, then on most 75 concerts??!! There is probably no answer, but if it is, anbody know??

I really don't think zep should have toured in 75, with Plant having such extreme voice problems, but i guess Grant was probably pushing the whole thing!

Anyway back to topic, i certainly reccomend Seattle 75! Also extremely good are Paris 69(vocals are amazing), Blueberry hill(1970 LA), alabama 73, 21.6. 77, 23.6.77, ...........

I really don't think zep should have toured in 75, with Plant having such extreme voice problems, but i guess Grant was probably pushing the whole thing!

The better statement would be, I really wish Robert hadn't gotten sick in January, which lingered in his voice throughout the whole tour. Obviously, had he not been injured in August 1975, who knows what he and the band may have sounded like on their upcoming fall tour.

I didn't really hear that much from 75, so are many concerts form march good vocally when Plant's flu was over??

It did hear a lot of earls court and the voice was a lot better, that's for sure!!

March 1975 not only has them at their peak for the year IMO, but the soundboards from this month are probably the best quality sound out of any year for the band. Overall, they're that good.

You can certainly tell his voice had healed during the summer. Listen to Presence and you can see why a fall tour would have most likely sounded better for him.

Some of the Febuary shows are halfway decent. He's not near as bad on 02-14 as he was in any of January or most of earlier on that month. Even on 02-12 his voice is horrible IMO. St. Louis is a really good SB. So is 02-28 at LSU.

But I think the first real great Plant voice comes from 03-11 and 12 in Long Beach. The Audiences out for these 2 dates are really good anyway. Then his LA shows a couple weeks later are really solid also. They are all audiences but they are really good audiences also. I think I prefer March 24th the best.

I always wondered why Plant sounds so much better in Seattle 75, then on most 75 concerts??!! There is probably no answer, but if it is, anbody know??

cleaner blow?

Could be becausse its Audience Recording. I never noticed the flaws in 3-12 (or is it 3-11 we just got SBD of?) until the SBD came out. But this is considered the finest performance overall so maybe plant was just more on.

I agree, this is one of my favourite early shows. People always talk about 27.4.69 (also very good) and 31.8.69 (not so good - poor drum sound, and Robert's obviously totally shagged and sounds like he'd really rather not be there at all). But the Paris show is awesome. Depsite the echo.

Archived