What are the best Led Zep boots out there?

Electrophile

Just spectacular sound, you feel like you're there, 5th row. Nice work, Millard!

That's the EV 'X-mas edition' I believe. I think the Winston Remaster beats it by a smidgen but it's still awesome!

That's the EV 'X-mas edition' I believe. I think the Winston Remaster beats it by a smidgen but it's still awesome!

Winston Remaster is probably the best version for any of the Millard '77 tapes. I must admit the unprocessed versions that appeared a couple of months ago were good, but way flatter than WR. Though I'm sure Kevin Shirley and Jimmy Page themselves could do better Winston's sounds like an official live album, and better than most of those...

I have heard many bits of boots on youtube, but Southampton was is my first complete one i have.The quality is excellent, and I think that Thank You on this boot is by far the best performance I've ever heard of that particular song!

I think Southhampton is actually overrated but I might have to relisten again given the comments above from people I generally trust (well some of you give too much love to 1977 ;) ).

But as far as Thank You, I consider it the best hidden live zeppelin gem. I think i actually skipped it the first few shows I had with it because I thought why would I want to hear that slow song live. Little did I know it has the one of the best and most ferocious Page solos ever. I don't like the slower longer versions like Southhampon like I like the ferocious 1971 versions. 1971-08-31 Orlando was the first I heard and thats definitely one of the best but I found out its almost identical to the 1971 BBC version which we have in perfect quality so that should be your reference version.

The soundboard from 2-12-75 is incredible. I had it on MP3 on my computer for a long time, and it's always sounded good. But I downloaded the newest "Keeper Of The Seasons" version, converted to WAV's and burned a cd. Jamming it my car today, it felt like I was there...as good as any official Zep live release!

The soundboard from 2-12-75 is incredible. I had it on MP3 on my computer for a long time, and it's always sounded good. But I downloaded the newest "Keeper Of The Seasons" version, converted to WAV's and burned a cd. Jamming it my car today, it felt like I was there...as good as any official Zep live release!

I've got the updated version of 'Four Blocks In The Snow'. Is the version you've got better? Cause Four Blocks In The Snow is awesome, I'd say it sounds better than TSRTS.

I've got the updated version of 'Four Blocks In The Snow'. Is the version you've got better? Cause Four Blocks In The Snow is awesome, I'd say it sounds better than TSRTS.

Tom, I'd say there are tons of boots that sound better than TSRTS, in terms of the quality of both sound and performance.

Even at the time of its original release, I recall people making the same observations, although I was yet to acquire my first LZ boot (Earl's Ct vols 1 & 2, quickly followed by Blueberry Hill), so I didn't know this at the time, and was more than happy to make do with this seemingly awesome release. It's a bit like fish fingers - they taste great, until you discover lobster. But back in 76, Zep were obviously stuck with the performances they'd filmed.

To be honest, I think the detractors in 76 were referring more to the lethargy of the performance than the flatness of the recording. I don't know how many high sound quality boots had surfaced by then - I get the impression that there weren't that many - but when I got BH, I couldn't believe how much more exciting and energised than TSRTS the performance sounded.

It would be interesting to see some stats on the years in which the better quality boots originally appeared. I suspect most have appeared since the digital age began - particularly since JP got burglarised. Anyone got any info on this?

Tom, I'd say there are tons of boots that sound better than TSRTS, in terms of the quality of both sound and performance.

Even at the time of its original release, I recall people making the same observations, although I was yet to acquire my first LZ boot (Earl's Ct vols 1 & 2, quickly followed by Blueberry Hill), so I didn't know this at the time, and was more than happy to make do with this seemingly awesome release. It's a bit like fish fingers - they taste great, until you discover lobster. But back in 76, Zep were obviously stuck with the performances they'd filmed.

To be honest, I think the detractors in 76 were referring more to the lethargy of the performance than the flatness of the recording. I don't know how many high sound quality boots had surfaced by then - I get the impression that there weren't that many - but when I got BH, I couldn't believe how much more exciting and energised than TSRTS the performance sounded.

It would be interesting to see some stats on the years in which the better quality boots originally appeared. I suspect most have appeared since the digital age began - particularly since JP got burglarised. Anyone got any info on this?

Bootlegs better sound quality than an official release?

Which ones? :blink:

Bootlegs better sound quality than an official release?

Which ones? :blink:

Well, Winston's version of 6-21-77 (hell, just about any version of 6-21-77!) and the aforementioned "Four Blocks In The Snow" boot for 2-12-75 immediately come to mind. What makes FBITS special is that it's a matrix of a typical '75 SBD with a kickass audience tape...that, my friends, is a close approximation of what a matrix of an LA '77 SBD with the corresponding Millard tape would sound like. No, they're not multitracks engineered by Eddie Kramer, of course, but Page could put out 6-21-77 as is (well, let's say TYG wasn't cut) and watch it fly off the shelves...and I bet most of the buyers wouldn't know it's a pristine audience recording until they got the CD set home and read the fine print.

It's probably a no-brainer that if not for the film there would be no TSRTS album at all. I mean, when the band more or less disowns the live album, that's a pretty good sign of its quality (no matter what us fans may think of it- good, bad or indifferent). At least, as far as 'official live albums' go, TSRTS may be edited like crazy but at least it isn't overdubbed to death like 99.9% of live albums out there...it's not a bad live album, mind ya, but there are definitely better performances to be found; it's just that those three nights they had the tapes rolling themselves.

Hey nut rocker in your opinion which sounds better? The four blocks in the snow or the mike millard 21-77 audience recording. I own the 21st show which sounds better than tsrts, but does four blocks in the snow compare to that superb recording?

I know you're asking nut rocker, but I'll throw my opinion in here. The 2 boots you mention are different animals, but both great. Four blocks is soundboard recording, and a very nice one. Some, especially the '73 soundboards, have a tendency to sound dry and sterile. Four Blocks is a very warm and balanced soundboard. You're with Zep on stage, with the crowd mixed nicely into the background. The Miller 6/21 boot is obviously an audience recording, but probably the best one ever. It's a different vantage-point than Four Blocks - you're in the audience with the crowd around you, and get the atmosphere of being at the show. Both are great, but for different reasons.

I have a couple Pink Floyd boots that sound better than their official live albums.

Wow, Liz what a great post!!! Why don't you try giving a complete answer instead of just adding to your post count. No one cares how great your Pink Floyd boots sound unless you tell them which ones they are.

Hey nut rocker in your opinion which sounds better? The four blocks in the snow or the mike millard 21-77 audience recording. I own the 21st show which sounds better than tsrts, but does four blocks in the snow compare to that superb recording?

Four Blocks in the Snow is probably the best sounding LZ bootleg of them all. And it isn't really fair to compare an AUD/SBD matrix to a an AUD recording on its own.

Four Blocks in the Snow is probably the best sounding LZ bootleg of them all. And it isn't really fair to compare an AUD/SBD matrix to a an AUD recording on its own.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with 3hrs on that one...my personal preference is for 6-21-77, of course, but 2-12-75 is pretty hard to beat...even the audience recording (old Deadhead taper, if memory serves, can't remember the dude's name) for 2-12 sounds mighty fine on its own!

If Plant's voice was in better shape, 2-12-75 would be the winner I'd reckon. Still, Bluecongo did himself proud with that matrix...with all respect to "Slumpy", his matrices generally suck IMO...the 5-31-73 one he did is a disaster; by the end of the show the sources are waaaaay outta sync, it's a mess. And the 26-5-77 and 17-7-77 Slumpies I've heard aren't much better.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with 3hrs on that one...my personal preference is for 6-21-77, of course, but 2-12-75 is pretty hard to beat...even the audience recording (old Deadhead taper, if memory serves, can't remember the dude's name) for 2-12 sounds mighty fine on its own!

If Plant's voice was in better shape, 2-12-75 would be the winner I'd reckon. Still, Bluecongo did himself proud with that matrix...with all respect to "Slumpy", his matrices generally suck IMO...the 5-31-73 one he did is a disaster; by the end of the show the sources are waaaaay outta sync, it's a mess. And the 26-5-77 and 17-7-77 Slumpies I've heard aren't much better.

I give my old TSRTS vinyl a spin last night and as great as Eddie and four blocks sound i still think they lack the depth of an official release, its all opinions i guess!

Having said that, theres dozens of ropey audience recordings i'd much rather spin than the TSRTS.

Your right about Roberts voice on 12.2.75, what a shame, 21.3.75 with that sound would make me drool ala Homer! WHERE IS IT!? :D

You think that one's sitting out there, waiting to be released by Empress Valley?

Well Ive seen many on this forum confident it will be released eventually as so many SBDs from the tour have. We have gotten at least one every year for the last few years right? The releases are purposely spread out I think and they know Seattle is the most desired. I couldnt do that myself, Im all about greatest good for greatest number of people so as soon as that could get out there and make thousands of people happy the better.

Thanks for the input guys. I recenlty aquired the Four blocks and am really impressed with quality of this recording. Btw the 21st-77 recording i have is the winston remaster. Is that the desired 1 or not?

As with any bootleg, it's all about peoples' personal opinion, but on this occasion the universal opinion is yes, the WR is the best version to have.....

Archived