Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience (Tour)

SteveAJones

• 1 month later...

I just got back from seeing their tour opening show at the Sands in Bethlehem, PA - they opened their last tour there almost a year ago to the day, and Jason has already promised to be back again next year (both last year and this year were sold out and very raucous). Apparently, his sister lives close to Bethlehem, PA, or so he said at both shows. :)

Well, last year's show was very, very good - it was so good that, if we had gotten basically the same show with the same players, I would have been completely satisfied. However, this year, the guitarist didn't look quite like how I remembered him - they were close in appearance, but also clearly not the same person.

To my great joy and surprise, the "Jimmy Page" of JBLZE on this tour is...Jimmy Sakurai, best known from Led Zepagain and Mr. Jimmy. Well, let me say right here that Mr. Sakurai is Mr. Page's virtual doppelganger, both in appearance and in playing. When I first saw the sample videos for Led Zepagain and Mr. Jimmy, I was really hoping they would come to the East Coast so that I could hear him play - having him with JBLZE was more than I could have hoped for.

Well, the show was simply stellar. The songs played were (not in order - all apologies):

Good Times, Bad Times

Black Mountain Side (with a snippet of "White Summer" as an intro), going straight into Kashmir (an awesome version of it)

Whole Lotta Love (first encore)

What Is And What Should Never Be

Thank You

Immigrant Song (show opener)

Since I've Been Loving You (the song that convinced Jason that Jimmy (Sakurai) would fit with the band - this version was awe-inspiring as well)

Rock And Roll (second encore/show closer)

Stairway To Heaven (stellar)

Misty Mountain Hop (this absolutely smoked as well)

The Song Remains The Same (awesome)

Over The Hills And Far Away

No Quarter (spellbinding)

The Ocean

Trampled Underfoot (smokin')

the aforementioned Kashmir

Down By The Seaside (yes, really - Jason said that this song is one of his personal favorites, and this was the first time they had played it live, despite his playing it privately and in soundchecks all the time)

Ten Years Gone (not kidding)

The Wanton Song (also not kidding)

If you would like to take in a tribute show of our band, I heartily recommend this one. I will see them every time they come around. :)

3 hours ago, ForEvermore said:

I just got back from seeing their tour opening show at the Sands in Bethlehem, PA - they opened their last tour there almost a year ago to the day, and Jason has already promised to be back again next year (both last year and this year were sold out and very raucous). Apparently, his sister lives close to Bethlehem, PA, or so he said at both shows. :)

Well, last year's show was very, very good - it was so good that, if we had gotten basically the same show with the same players, I would have been completely satisfied. However, this year, the guitarist didn't look quite like how I remembered him - they were close in appearance, but also clearly not the same person.

To my great joy and surprise, the "Jimmy Page" of JBLZE on this tour is...Jimmy Sakurai, best known from Led Zepagain and Mr. Jimmy. Well, let me say right here that Mr. Sakurai is Mr. Page's virtual doppelganger, both in appearance and in playing. When I first saw the sample videos for Led Zepagain and Mr. Jimmy, I was really hoping they would come to the East Coast so that I could hear him play - having him with JBLZE was more than I could have hoped for.

Well, the show was simply stellar. The songs played were (not in order - all apologies):

Good Times, Bad Times

Black Mountain Side (with a snippet of "White Summer" as an intro), going straight into Kashmir (an awesome version of it)

Thank You

Since I've Been Loving You (the song that convinced Jason that Jimmy (Sakurai) would fit with the band - this version was awe-inspiring as well)

The Ocean

Down By The Seaside (yes, really - Jason said that this song is one of his personal favorites, and this was the first time they had played it live, despite his playing it privately and in soundchecks all the time)

If you would like to take in a tribute show of our band, I heartily recommend this one. I will see them every time they come around. :)

You may just have convinced me to check them out in Perth, Australia 

6 hours ago, ForEvermore said:

Good Times, Bad Times

Thank You

The Ocean

Jesus Christ this is great news. I have my tickets already for their upcoming Brisbane show in early Feb. Now I am twice as excited. I hope Mr Jimmy stays with the tour - at least for the Bris-Vegas gig....

And that set list!!!!!  :drool:

:chickeddance:

8 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

You may just have convinced me to check them out in Perth, Australia 

Go - you'll thank yourself later. :)

4 hours ago, rm2551 said:

Jesus Christ this is great news. I have my tickets already for their upcoming Brisbane show in early Feb. Now I am twice as excited. I hope Mr Jimmy stays with the tour - at least for the Bris-Vegas gig....

And that set list!!!!!  :drool:

:chickeddance:

Yes - the set list thrilled me too. :) Even without any post-PG songs, the concert was phenomenal.

1 hour ago, luvlz2 said:

That is exciting news! Hoping to see some youtube footage pop up.

I'm sure it will. I have a few pictures - eventually, I will do my best to get some of them on here.

For those who don't have tickets, get them if you can; for those who already do, look forward to a great night of great music! :)

12 minutes ago, luvlz2 said:

Thank you for posting this! :)

The person who filmed this was about 4 or 5 rows directly behind me - so this is essentially what I saw too.

I'm glad that the quality of the overall sound came through on the recording - it was an excellent performance all around.

1 hour ago, Xolo1974 said:

Still too pricey for me at $130 a ticket plus booking fee

Flamin' Nora!

That's steep for effectively a tribute act, albeit it a rather unique one.

I saw JB play back in the 90s with Paul Rodgers, so already ticked him off the list.

Still tempted though, 'cause they don't come out to Oz often.

Hmm...

1 hour ago, rm2551 said:

yeah, but if you don't, will you regret it?   :Thinking:  :slapface:

cmon mate, make like Nike and just do it! :chickeddance:

I saw the Led Zeppelin Experience in a pub last weekend. They were great and the guitarist in particular was superb. $45. I paid $170 to see Cat Stevens during the week. To me, $130 is a complete rip off to see a tribute band. I doubt I will regret it mate

3 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

I saw the Led Zeppelin Experience in a pub last weekend. They were great and the guitarist in particular was superb. $45. I paid $170 to see Cat Stevens during the week. To me, $130 is a complete rip off to see a tribute band. I doubt I will regret it mate

Jason Bonham.

The man who filled in at the 02 and the Kennedy Honours gig.

The man who is the son of the greatest there ever was and taught from a young age by the greatest.

And THIS guy on guitar???

I swear Neil, If I was over there, I would drag you kicking and screaming......

I doubt they will be back here. And that's that rub. This is probably THE time to see Jason and Mr Jimmy perform.

At the end of the day, i will be VERY surprised that if on my way home, I am disappointed rather than completely satisfied.

3 minutes ago, rm2551 said:

Jason Bonham.

The man who filled in at the 02 and the Kennedy Honours gig.

The man who is the son of the greatest there ever was and taught from a young age by the greatest.

And THIS guy on guitar???

I swear Neil, If I was over there, I would drag you kicking and screaming......

I doubt they will be back here. And that's that rub. This is probably THE time to see Jason and Mr Jimmy perform.

At the end of the day, i will be VERY surprised that if on my way home, I am disappointed rather than completely satisfied.

Haha you make a good point Rod, but I ain’t for turning! 

Looking at Going to see Jimmy Sakurai for first time with JBLZE in Nashville in a couple of weeks (December 13). I’ve known Jimmy for a while and he is probably the best to represent the Legacy of Jimmy Page’s Guitar style and playing for anyone who hasn’t seen or wasn’t old enough to see Led Zeppelin Live  (‘68-‘80). He’s the nicest guy & even played my danelectro guitar when he toured through Atlanta w/ Led Zeppagain a year ago.

R😎🎸👍

D9F41A7F-3A12-4AFC-AB2E-12C0F65FFD5F.jpeg

Edited by reids