"Gentle people" in TSRTS.

Wolfman

Everytime I listen to D&C from TSRTS, I swear RP says "Devil people" during the part of San Francisco where he is supposed to say "gentle people". Anyone else ever notice this? Go to 6:40 to hear what I'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wewu45XSb00

If you're going to San Francisco

Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair

If you're going to San Francisco

You're gonna meet some gentle people there

For those who come to San Francisco

Summertime will be a love-in there

In the streets of San Francisco

Gentle people with flowers in their hair

Intro.: All across the nation, such a strange vibration

People in motion

There's a whole generation with a new explanation

People in motion, people in motion

For those who come to San Francisco

Be sure to wear some flowers in their hair

If you come to San Francisco

Summertime will be a love-in there

Extro.: If you come to San Francisco

Summertime will be a loving day

I think you are trying to be funny. A guy named Tom Friend wrote a book called Jimmy Page - Fallen Angel based on his belief the band are among the world's most dangerous satanists and cited this as an example.

slapface.gif

He sings "gentle people" but "yellow people" would work just as well lyrically and literally as "devil people". laugh.gif

I think you are trying to be funny. A guy named Tom Friend wrote a book called Jimmy Page - Fallen Angel based on his belief the band are among the world's most dangerous satanists and cited this as an example.

slapface.gif

He sings "gentle people" but "yellow people" would work just as well lyrically and literally as "devil people". laugh.gif

No, just being honest with what I hear. I think we all agree that Jimmy is not, or never was, a Satanist BUT he definitely liked to play the dark angle card back in the day. The bow solo alone is creepy as hell the first time you hear the live version. I personally loved the whole devil/666 thing as a teenager and to be honest, still do. I miss the whole mystique of Zep when I first got into the band. I think the internet really changed that. Back then, you had to hunt for Zep relics like boots, etc. Now it's all at your fingertips.

But this was RP singing, so why would HE sing "devil people"? Unless Jimmy put him up to it . . . <_<

Remember, RP was part of the supposed pact with Satan too. :P

P.S. I never said that's actually what he sang. I said it just sounded like that to me.

Edited by Wolfman

I also hear "devil people" sung by Robert during this part of "Dazed and Confused". I always thought Robert sang this line in "San Francisco" because from what I have read, back in the 1960's and I would assume to this day, the city of San Francisco is/was a city with a large Satanic population. Not to mention hippies, junkies and bikers. I also believe that Satanist Anton LeVay and his Church of Satan was located somewhere in San Francisco, possibly on California Street (hence the name Hotel California, the album by the Eagles). Of course this is just speculation on my part. However, I do read alot and yes, sometimes, I do believe what I read.

I never said that's actually what he sang. I said it just sounded like that to me.

That's fine, but the thing is if true it wouldn't fit the context of the song at all. Tom Friend asserts Robert sung

"devil people" at the '77 Madision Square Garden concert he attended, that it's an attempt at spellcasting. I

don't know what to say to that really, other than if one looks hard enough I suppose they'll find the devil in

anything. His book does contain several splendid Page/Plant '98 European tour photographs taken by yours truly; permission granted under the strict condition they not be accompanied by any sensationalist captions.

Whatever he says does not sound like it starts with a "G" and definitely sounds like it starts with a "D". Again, go to 6:40 in the youtube video in my first post and listen for yourself. Maybe he said "dental people". :unsure:

Edited by Wolfman

Whatever he says does not sound like it starts with a "G" and definitely sounds like it starts with a "D". Again, go to 6:40 in the youtube video in my first post and listen for yourself. Maybe he said "dental people". :unsure:

I must have watched this a thousand times but just to be fair I clicked your link and watched and listened again. It's definitely gentle, IMHO.

That's it! And wasn't it around that time he had his teeth fixed? It's obviously a ploy to recruit satanic dentists! (We all know how evil dentists can be . . :shifty: )

It is obviously Gentle.......Kinda goes with flowers in your hair!!!hippy.gif

Well yeah those are the original lyrics that he is quoting - but people are suggesting that he has altered them, so the context doesn't really matter.

But it's still gentle.

Edited by Knebby

I remember thinking that he was saying "devil" too, that's how I was singing it at first, all the delay on the vocal track sort'a make's it hard to say for sure. I don't know if Robert Plant would say anything other than what I was told by some one more informed about the band than I, when we would play the song in one of my old band's, he corrected me by saying it was, "gentle".

After listening to it again at that time and up too now, I'm sure it's, "gentle" and not "devil".

He Says 'Gentle', you have a problem with your hearing if you think its anything else. No offense.

No, I don't have hearing issue. Right or wrong, others have claimed to hear it also so I can't be too nuts. It's not a big deal people. Jeez.

Edited by Wolfman

No, I don't have hearing issue. Right or wrong, others have claimed to hear it also so I can't be too nuts. It's not a big deal people. Jeez.

Jimmy's playing is just mind-blowing right at the moment in question, wow! I hear gentle, definitely, but can see how one could hear something else.

Yah there is tons of bullshit out there on the web. Sometimes i read it and once this guy was so anti zeppelin he said that they literally told the fans to worship the devil! Now i have seen tsrts quite a few times and i dont recall that. Just goes to show how unreliable some sources are!

Everytime I listen to D&C from TSRTS, I swear RP says "Devil people" during the part of San Francisco where he is supposed to say "gentle people". Anyone else ever notice this? Go to 6:40 to hear what I'm talking about.

I always thought that he was saying "a lot of different people there"

I'm with you Mr. Wolf. I've alway's thought that it sounded like devil people. Not for one minute suggesting that it is or was altered, just that it sounds that way to me as well.

I'll never get sick of watching and listening to that version of D&C. It's a masterpiece.

Edited by Zepaholic