The Pass

Closer to the Heart

Manhattan Project

Scars

War Paint

Tom Sawyer

2112; Overture/La Villa Strangiato/ In The Mood

Likely pro-shot live footage from the Presto tour

Here is a newsletter that I found in my inbox the other day, with plenty of details:

Logo
RUSH | Time Stand Still
Theatre Premiere Event November 3rd

New theatre events have been added in St. Louis, Houston, Cleveland and Dallas!

Check www.rushtimestandstill.com to find one of over 500 theatres in North America where you an watch the documentary premiere amongst Rush fans!
Learn More →
PRE-ORDER Rush | Time Stand Still
We wanted to make you aware of all the various Pre-Order and special retail options that will be available for RUSH | TIME STAND STILL, available on DVD & Blu-ray November 18: 

Rush Backstage:
You can now pre-order Rush Time Stand Still on DVD or Blu-Ray with exclusive Time Stand Still Merchandise Bundles, available via the Rush Backstage Club online store.

Rush Backstage Pre-Order Bundles: 
Bundle 1 - BluRay or DVD + Tshirt 
Bundle 2 - BluRay or DVD + Special Edition Litho 
Bundle 3 - BluRay or DVD + Collector Ticket** 
Bundle 4 - BluRay or DVD + Deluxe Merch Bundle (all 3 items - T-shirt + Special Edition Litho + Collector Ticket) 
** The collector ticket does not include admission to the Theatrical Release. It is simply a fun, commemorative item!

Best Buy US: 
Only @ Best Buy - get a limited-edition Gumby keychain with purchase of Time Stand Still on DVD or Blu-ray! 

FYE US: 
Get a free commemorative poster with purchase of Time Stand Still on DVD or Blu-ray, exclusively at FYE. (While supplies last) 

Independent Record Shops: 
Get a free R40 Tour Laminate with purchase of Time Stand Still on DVD or Blu-ray when you buy at your local independent record store (while supplies last). Visit RecordStoreDay.com for a full list of retailers. 

And our pals at Newbury Comics will have a limited number of signed copies by the film directors Allan Weinrib & Dale Heslip upon pre-order of the DVD or Bluray soon on www.newburycomics.com 

Amazon Pre-Order: 
DVD: http://smarturl.it/RushTSSDVD 
Blu-ray: http://smarturl.it/RushTSSBD
Fluid images
Blu-ray + Deluxe Merch Bundle
button

Fluid images
DVD + Deluxe Merch Bundle
button
Fluid images
Blu-ray + Special Edition Litho
button

Fluid images
DVD + Special Edition Litho
button
Fluid images
Blu-ray + Collector Ticket
button

Fluid images
DVD + Collector Ticket
button
Fluid images
Blu-ray + T-shirt
button

Fluid images
DVD + T-shirt
button
Fluid images
Blu-Ray
buttonbutton

Fluid images
DVD
buttonbutton
Always check RUSH.com for the most up to date official information, join Rush on Facebookand follow the band via @rushtheband on Twitter!
You are receiving this e-mail because you signed up to receive newsletters from Rush.com.

Interview: Alex Lifeson on God, police brutality and 'disco biscuits'

Features / 2 days ago / by Paul Elliott

Rush guitarist Alex Lifeson explains why even Rush's worst song might have sounded brilliant on ecstacy

On August 27, 2013 Rush guitarist Alex Lifeson reached a milestone: he turned 60. Born Aleksandar Živojinovi to Serbian parents, Lifeson was raised in Toronto, where he founded Rush in 1968 and where he still lives.

The band have now sold more than 50 million records and were inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame by the Foo Fighters – who performed at the ceremony playing Overture from Rush’s 1976 album 2112, and dressed in white satin and wigs. It was the perfect tribute for a man who has never taken himself too seriously.

What can Alex Lifeson do that nobody else can?

Complain about stuff. I can complain like nobody else in the world.

What do you complain about?

Everything! I complain about the coffee not being hot enough, about my weight: “Honey, you’ve shrunk my clothes!”

Isn’t that just your age talking?

Yeah. I just celebrated my 60th birthday. And I complained about that.

Come on, you must have had a party.

I was like, “I don’t want to make a big deal out of it.” So we decided to have a dinner for family and a few friends. We had a chef make a 16-course dinner, a tasting menu, and I pulled a bunch of wines from my cellar. The meal was fabulous and the room was just buzzing. And because it was a Tuesday we got done by midnight.

What was the best thing you ate that night?

There was this grilled octopus that just melted in the mouth. But it’s hard to remember what else we had… the wine flowed. I wasn’t complaining too much that night.

Do you believe in God?

No. When I was younger I did. My mother is not super-religious but she has a belief. My father was the total opposite. He thought religion was a crock. In my early teens I started to question it all. I had friends who were Jesus freaks, others were just very spiritual, and we had these great long discussions about these things. But as I get older it just becomes a less and less sensible thing to think about.

What is the best drug you’ve ever taken?

Cannabis, I think, is the best. But I did take ecstasy and that was fun. That was in the mid-90s. I loved it. So many relationships opened up 

and became deeper, and they remain so. It’s the one drug where you have those sorts of experiences and they stay with you. I found that after a while that was wearing off. The more you do it, the less it feels like those first times.

When you were on it, did you go around telling everyone how much you loved them?

For sure. And music was just amazing to listen to.

Probably not a lot of people listened to Rush on ecstasy.

Neither did I! It was dance music mostly. I remember doing E one night with my wife, just the two of us. In the living room in our old house we had a huge sound system – 6,000 watts or something. We got dressed up and sat there drinking orange juice and smoking about a thousand cigarettes and we listened to Nine Inch Nails and Tool – all this loud, intense, heavy music. We had such a ball.

What, to you, are the worst songs that Rush ever recorded? Tai Shan[from 1987’s Hold Your Fire] is one of the worst, easily. And Panacea[part of the epic The Fountain Of Lamneth, from 1975’s Caress Of Steel]. It was an attempt at something that didn’t really work out. It was… innocent.

It might have sounded pretty profound if you were on ecstasy.

Yeah! “Oh my God, we really nailed this one! I love you, by the way.”

Have you had any New Year’s Eves as lively as the one in 2003 when you were arrested and tasered by police?

No. That was a bad experience. What does it feel like to be tasered? It’s a terrible, terrible, terrible feeling. Your body’s shuddering, you’re in extreme pain. And when you’re lying in a pool of your own blood, you’re wondering, “Why are they doing this to me?” And I had it done repeatedly – five times. Is it like a shock from an electric fence? That times a hundred. Your whole body is uncontrollable. It lasts about eight seconds but it feels like a couple of minutes. Hundreds of people have been killed with tasers.

What is your greatest regret?

I didn’t learn more languages. I speak Serbian, English and a smattering of French. But at the core I’m a lazy person.

What is the meaning of life?

To be a good person, to live your life sharing, being considerate of others, and loving. Passing something forward. It’s less about making money and getting ahead – which is easy to say when you’ve had success.

What will be on your tombstone?

“Oops! Sorry!”

Source: http://teamrock.com/feature/2016-10-13/interview-alex-lifeson-on-god-police-brutality-and-disco-biscuits

7 hours ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

Rush guitarist Alex Lifeson explains why even Rush's worst song might have sounded brilliant on ecstacy

On August 27, 2013 Rush guitarist Alex Lifeson reached a milestone: he turned 60. Born Aleksandar Živojinovi to Serbian parents, Lifeson was raised in Toronto, where he founded Rush in 1968 and where he still lives.

The band have now sold more than 50 million records and were inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame by the Foo Fighters – who performed at the ceremony playing Overture from Rush’s 1976 album 2112, and dressed in white satin and wigs. It was the perfect tribute for a man who has never taken himself too seriously.

Everything! I complain about the coffee not being hot enough, about my weight: “Honey, you’ve shrunk my clothes!”

I was like, “I don’t want to make a big deal out of it.” So we decided to have a dinner for family and a few friends. We had a chef make a 16-course dinner, a tasting menu, and I pulled a bunch of wines from my cellar. The meal was fabulous and the room was just buzzing. And because it was a Tuesday we got done by midnight.

There was this grilled octopus that just melted in the mouth. But it’s hard to remember what else we had… the wine flowed. I wasn’t complaining too much that night.

Do you believe in God?

No. When I was younger I did. My mother is not super-religious but she has a belief. My father was the total opposite. He thought religion was a crock. In my early teens I started to question it all. I had friends who were Jesus freaks, others were just very spiritual, and we had these great long discussions about these things. But as I get older it just becomes a less and less sensible thing to think about.

Cannabis, I think, is the best. But I did take ecstasy and that was fun. That was in the mid-90s. I loved it. So many relationships opened up 

and became deeper, and they remain so. It’s the one drug where you have those sorts of experiences and they stay with you. I found that after a while that was wearing off. The more you do it, the less it feels like those first times.

When you were on it, did you go around telling everyone how much you loved them?

Neither did I! It was dance music mostly. I remember doing E one night with my wife, just the two of us. In the living room in our old house we had a huge sound system – 6,000 watts or something. We got dressed up and sat there drinking orange juice and smoking about a thousand cigarettes and we listened to Nine Inch Nails and Tool – all this loud, intense, heavy music. We had such a ball.

What, to you, are the worst songs that Rush ever recorded? Tai Shan[from 1987’s Hold Your Fire] is one of the worst, easily. And Panacea[part of the epic The Fountain Of Lamneth, from 1975’s Caress Of Steel]. It was an attempt at something that didn’t really work out. It was… innocent.

Have you had any New Year’s Eves as lively as the one in 2003 when you were arrested and tasered by police?

No. That was a bad experience. What does it feel like to be tasered? It’s a terrible, terrible, terrible feeling. Your body’s shuddering, you’re in extreme pain. And when you’re lying in a pool of your own blood, you’re wondering, “Why are they doing this to me?” And I had it done repeatedly – five times. Is it like a shock from an electric fence? That times a hundred. Your whole body is uncontrollable. It lasts about eight seconds but it feels like a couple of minutes. Hundreds of people have been killed with tasers.

I didn’t learn more languages. I speak Serbian, English and a smattering of French. But at the core I’m a lazy person.

To be a good person, to live your life sharing, being considerate of others, and loving. Passing something forward. It’s less about making money and getting ahead – which is easy to say when you’ve had success.

“Oops! Sorry!”

Source: http://teamrock.com/feature/2016-10-13/interview-alex-lifeson-on-god-police-brutality-and-disco-biscuits

Cool interview, but interesting he flags Panacea as one of Rush's worst songs;  Fountain of Lamneth, and Caress of Steel overall, is very underappreciated.  The whole album is a fascinating transition from more straight-ahead rock to their classic structured work.

7 hours ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

Do you believe in God?

“Oops! Sorry!”

And pretty cool that he was jamming out to NIN and Tool.

23 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Cool interview, but interesting he flags Panacea as one of Rush's worst songs;  Fountain of Lamneth, and Caress of Steel overall, is very underappreciated.  The whole album is a fascinating transition from more straight-ahead rock to their classic structured work.

Panacea is a beautiful song! Like you, I don't think I'll ever understand why Geddy and Alex dislike Caress of Steel so much! It is very underappreciated, indeed! Such a masterpiece! That album happens to be my second favourite album of all time. Honestly, the first time I watched Beyond The Lighted Stage, I was shocked by how unpopular that album was and I was also shocked to learn that the band had nicknamed the tour to support that album as the Down The Tubes tour! *Sigh! 

22 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

And pretty cool that he was jamming out to NIN and Tool.

Yeah! I too thought that was cool! Nice to know that both Charlene and Alex seem to like that kind of music! :D I wonder if they were rockin' out to Undertow! B) 

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone here going to see the Rush movie/documentary "Time Stand Still" later today?  I am and I would like to thank luvlz2 for the notifications of this about a month ago.  The movie theater that I will attend this is roughly 3 miles from where I reside.  For me, it starts at 7:30 tonight. 

If I was willing and did go to Los Vegas, Nevada last year by myself to see Rush in what may have been their last tour, I can surely go 3 miles to see a movie/documentary of My second favorite Band of All-Time. 

LONG LIVE RUSH!!!

13 hours ago, kingzoso said:

Anyone here going to see the Rush movie/documentary "Time Stand Still" later today?  I am and I would like to thank luvlz2 for the notifications of this about a month ago.  The movie theater that I will attend this is roughly 3 miles from where I reside.  For me, it starts at 7:30 tonight. 

If I was willing and did go to Los Vegas, Nevada last year by myself to see Rush in what may have been their last tour, I can surely go 3 miles to see a movie/documentary of My second favorite Band of All-Time. 

LONG LIVE RUSH!!!

I know that I am responding to my own post from 13 hours ago.

Anyway, I went to the Cinemark in Plano, Texas about an hour ago and the lady said that she thinks that it was sold out.  She asked me how many tickets I wanted and I said just one.  She looks on her screen and says that there were two seats left.  So I was in luck and paid a total of $16.24 for an evening with Rush and a sold out theater full of other Rush fans.

I am glad that I went to buy the ticket early because if I went at 7:30 I would have been turned away at the door. 

LONG LIVE RUSH!!!

On 11/3/2016 at 3:40 PM, kingzoso said:

I know that I am responding to my own post from 13 hours ago.

Anyway, I went to the Cinemark in Plano, Texas about an hour ago and the lady said that she thinks that it was sold out.  She asked me how many tickets I wanted and I said just one.  She looks on her screen and says that there were two seats left.  So I was in luck and paid a total of $16.24 for an evening with Rush and a sold out theater full of other Rush fans.

I am glad that I went to buy the ticket early because if I went at 7:30 I would have been turned away at the door. 

LONG LIVE RUSH!!!

Had a change of plans and could not make it. Will wait for the release. Glad you made it kingzoso! Was there much live footage, I mean like full songs?

• 1 month later...

Well, after objectively lending my ears to and familiarizing myself with this brilliant band's entire discography, my top 5 albums are:

Moving Pictures

Caress of Steel

Counterparts

Vapor Trails : Remixed 

Edited to add: I must say that compiling this list, was one of the hardest things that I've ever had to do! :lol: 

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

I just discovered today that in 2004, Rush released an EP of covers of old rock and roll songs;  it's great, it sounds like it could be off their first album!  This kicks ass:

On the R30 dvd, they actually play Heart Full of Soul, Summertime Blues, The Seeker, & Crossroads, as well as some other songs that they recorded over the years. lol