Rush

lzzoso

Everyone would gather, at the 24th of May, sitting in the sand, to watch the fireworks display, dancing fires on the beach, singing songs together, though it's just a memory some memories last forever...

• 3 weeks later...

Just a little heads up from the world of unofficial releases. Some very interesting titles became available of late :):

Pinkpop.JPGSome Missing Radio Shows.jpg

These CD's can be purchased via the following links:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06Y4RXNS5

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Missed-Missing-Radio-Shows-1976-81/dp/B071LGQ1LR

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

From Rush dot com:

"What Le Studio meant to us, is really hard to put into only a few sentences. It was not only a place where we did some of our best work, but we also experienced many profound personal moments there. To say nothing of the friendships that were forged there that still endure today. Le Studio played a key role in our album recording experience at a pivotal point in our career. We were already saddened to learn of its derelict state a few years ago, but upon hearing that it has now been destroyed by fire, it truly marks the end of an age for the 3 of us," remarked Geddy Lee on behalf of the band.

"We not only worked there for months at a time, but we lived and played in the home on the property, separated only by a beautiful lake and the glorious foothills of Laurentian Mountains," added Lee, "it was truly a part of the great Canadian landscape...and literally a home away from home for us. It will always have a special place in our hearts."

https://www.rush.com/remembering-le-studio/

CBS's Tom Power spoke with Geddy Lee via phone about recording music and making memories at Le Studio. You can listen to it hear: http://www.cbc.ca/radio/q/monday-aug-14-2017-charlie-puth-geddy-lee-and-more-1.4242504/i-have-so-many-memories-there-how-geddy-lee-and-rush-created-their-own-world-at-le-studio-1.4246078

Edited by luvlz2

• 1 month later...

Alex Lifeson made a surprise appearance at the Canadian Songwriter's Hall of Fame (9/23/17) and joined Canadian rock band Arkells as a guest musician on a performance of Neil Young's Cinnamon Girl towards the end of the show.

link

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2017 at 5:30 PM, luvlz2 said:

Alex Lifeson made a surprise appearance at the Canadian Songwriter's Hall of Fame (9/23/17) and joined Canadian rock band Arkells as a guest musician on a performance of Neil Young's Cinnamon Girl towards the end of the show.

link

Thanks luvlz2...always loved that song and this is an awesome version!  The solo was a bit beneath Alex's skill level...ha!

aftk-40.jpg.101d1f7b7b93cc73fda6f5cf11e40cf4.jpg

aftk-40-2.thumb.jpg.46a94e7d8314ac44707a203b46d68680.jpg

A Farewell to Kings 40th Anniversary Super Deluxe

The A Farewell to Kings 40th Anniversary Super Deluxe version includes three CDs, one Blu-ray Audio disc and four high-quality 180-gram vinyl LPs.

The set encompasses the Abbey Road Mastering Studios 2015 remastered edition of the album for the first time on CD, a complete Rush concert recorded in February 1978 at London's Hammersmith Odeon, newly mixed by longtime Rush engineer and original A Farewell to Kings producer Terry Brown from the multi-track live tapes, four newly-recorded cover versions of songs from the original album by Dream Theater, Big Wreck, The Trews and Alain Johannes, and an instrumental studio outtake of the spacey sound effects the band has creatively titled "Cygnus X-2 Eh."

The Hammersmith show features, for the first-time ever, over 34 minutes of unreleased performances including a complete "2112" suite, "Lakeside Park," a drum solo and "Closer To The Heart." The Super Deluxe Edition's audio content on its CD is duplicated on its vinyl discs. Meanwhile, the Blu-ray Audio disc contains a brand new 5.1 surround mix of the album by four-time Grammy nominated surround sound producer Steven Wilson, along with three original 1977 promo videos from a newly found 2-inch quad video master significantly improving the video quality for "Closer To The Heart." The Super Deluxe package also includes an elaborate new 40th anniversary cover treatment by longtime Rush creative director Hugh Syme, who has also created a new piece of artwork for each of the album's six songs, and an extensive 12,000-word liner notes by Grammy-winning rock historian Rob Bowman.

Finally, The Super Deluxe Edition includes several exclusive items, including a unique King's Ring, with custom velvet pouch and neck chain, two lithographs with original artwork by Hugh Syme, a special 12-inch turntable mat featuring distinctive artwork by Hugh Syme, and a reproduction of Rush's original 1978 A Farewell To Kings tour program.

Tracklisting

3-CD

DISC 1

Original Album - Produced by Rush and Terry Brown

A FAREWELL TO KINGS

XANADU

CLOSER TO THE HEART

CINDERELLA MAN

MADRIGAL

CYGNUS X-1

DISC 2

Live at Hammersmith Odeon - February 20, 1978

BASTILLE DAY

LAKESIDE PARK*

BYTOR & THE SNOWDOG

XANADU

A FAREWELL TO KINGS

SOMETHING FOR NOTHING

CYGNUS X-1

DISC 3

ANTHEM

CLOSER TO THE HEART*

2112*

WORKING MAN

FLIGHT BY NIGHT

IN THE MOOD

DRUM SOLO*

CINDERELLA MAN

XANADU - Dream Theater*

CINDERELLA MAN - The Trews*

MADRIGAL - Alain Johannes*

CYGNUS X-2 EH*

BLU-RAY AUDIO - DISC 4

96kHz 24-bit 5.1 Surround Mix by Steven Wilson

96kHz 24-bit Original Stereo Analog 2015 Remaster

A FAREWELL TO KINGS

XANADU

CLOSER TO THE HEART

CINDERELLA MAN

MADRIGAL

CYGNUS X-1

1977 Promo Videos

A FAREWELL TO KINGS

XANADU

CLOSER TO THE HEART

4-LP VINYL

LP 1 - SIDE A

Original Album - Produced by Rush and Terry Brown

A FAREWELL TO KINGS

XANADU

LP 1 - SIDE B

CLOSER TO THE HEART

CINDERELLA MAN

MADRIGAL

CYGNUS X-1

LP 2 - SIDE C

BASTILLE DAY

LAKESIDE PARK*

BYTOR & THE SNOWDOG

LP 2 - SIDE D

XANADU

A FAREWELL TO KINGS

SOMETHING FOR NOTHING

LP 3 - SIDE E

CYGNUS X-1

ANTHEM

CLOSER TO THE HEART*

LP 3 - SIDE F

2112*

LP 4 - SIDE G

WORKING MAN

FLY BY NIGHT

IN THE MOOD

DRUM SOLO*

CINDERELLA MAN

LP 4 - SIDE H

XANADU - Dream Theater*

CLOSER TO THE HEART - Big Wreck*

CINDERELLA MAN - The Trews*

MADRIGAL - Alain Johannes*

CYGNUS X-2 EH*

**Digital Download card included**

Release date: December 1, 2017

https://www.rushbackstage.com/rushbackstage/aftk-40th-anniversary-389/a-farewell-to-kings-40th-anniversary-super-deluxe.html

YouTube audio of the previously unreleased live version of Closer to the Heart from the Hammersmith Odeon on February 20, 1978 that's included in the box set:

Edited by luvlz2

Listening to A Farewell to Kings, I'd love to get the box set or at least the vinyl. The release of unreleased live material like this is awesome!!! Rush treats their fans good with releases like this! Can I get a yeah?

On 10/24/2017 at 7:42 PM, the chase said:

Dan Rather is an excellent interviewer. Just watched the whole thing. Very good. Geddy Lee is so down to earth. Check it out if you can.  

Dan Rather is an excellent interviewer for sure, very accommodating and does not butt in and I like that. Very much enjoyed the interview and you're so right about Geddy Lee being so down to earth!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Zep, Rush, Pink Floyd, and Ozzy have always been my top four rock groups, although I can't listen to much beyond "Signals". I've never understood people's comparison of them to Zep. I just don't hear it. Nothing on their first album sounds remotely like Zep. Two totally different styles IMO.

11 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Zep, Rush, Pink Floyd, and Ozzy have always been my top four rock groups, although I can't listen to much beyond "Signals". I've never understood people's comparison of them to Zep. I just don't hear it. Nothing on their first album sounds remotely like Zep. Two totally different styles IMO.

Except for Working man which IMO is a Zep tribute if there ever was one. The coda to that song is almost identical to the coda of HMMT and Lifeson's solo is pure Page.