Rush

lzzoso

• my fave band other than led zeppelin. if there is a better band on planet earth as we speak,it has to be RUSH! hugely influenced by led zeppelin. when rush's 1st album came out,people heard working man and thought it was the latest led zeppelin album.

• my fave band other than led zeppelin. if there is a better band on planet earth as we speak,it has to be RUSH! hugely influenced by led zeppelin. when rush's 1st album came out,people heard working man and thought it was the latest led zeppelin album.

I don't believe I thought it was a new Zep album. I will be seeing them on the 26th May in Birmingham.

I've read that their current set is heavy on the new disc and not much from the 70's until the encores!

Saw them 4 times, each and every show was awesome!!!

:thumbsup:

I saw both legs of Snakes and Arrows, and I believe both legs of the Time Machine tour, as well.

All had about 28 songs total with an intermission.

You definitely get your money's worth at a Rush concert.

Love the videos they do before, after and intermissions.

Forgot which one had Jerry Stiller - hilarious.

Just caught the 'Clockwork Angels Tour' a couple of weeks ago, TypeO, awesome again! Didn't catch the videos you are referring to, but the new material had many new videos going on that were never shown on previous tours - plus a new intro video to "Tom Sawyer". Love the video/footage they used in the new songs "The Wreckers", that is such a great album!

I saw both legs of Snakes and Arrows, and I believe both legs of the Time Machine tour, as well.

All had about 28 songs total with an intermission.

You definitely get your money's worth at a Rush concert.

Love the videos they do before, after and intermissions.

Forgot which one had Jerry Stiller - hilarious.

Way cool!

Thanks for this man. I have half this show in glorious quality and nice to hear the other half. I have mentioned this before somewhere on this forum but I suspect I nearly ruined the guys recording even before he started. The story goes;

As you can see from my ticket stub I scored my ticket in the balcony( as we always did). Always the cheapest. The Free Trade Hall was just the greatest venue to see a show as it was the home of The Halle Orchestra so the acoustics were great. So the guys on the doors to the stalls were always students and basically didn't give shit who they let in. So 10 minutes from show time we wandered in and milled around as we always did. The stalls were rammed packed and the atmosophere was beyond excitment. Then a guy came out on stage and said something like " can everyone sit down - we will not start the show until everyone sits down". It was never going to happen. Anyway I saw a spare seat with a coat on it. About 8 rows from the front dead centre. I pushed my way along and just about to sit this guy said "DONT". He moved the coat to reveal a reel to reel recorder. Ha I wonder if this is the same recording??. Consequently no one would sit down and on they came and the rest as they say is history. Happy days and a great gig. It was Rush's 2nd ever UK show after Sheffield.

It probably is the same recording! It's great to hear all the extra details that you provided from being there, thanks chillumpuffer!

Thanks for this man. I have half this show in glorious quality and nice to hear the other half. I have mentioned this before somewhere on this forum but I suspect I nearly ruined the guys recording even before he started. The story goes;

As you can see from my ticket stub I scored my ticket in the balcony( as we always did). Always the cheapest. The Free Trade Hall was just the greatest venue to see a show as it was the home of The Halle Orchestra so the acoustics were great. So the guys on the doors to the stalls were always students and basically didn't give shit who they let in. So 10 minutes from show time we wandered in and milled around as we always did. The stalls were rammed packed and the atmosophere was beyond excitment. Then a guy came out on stage and said something like " can everyone sit down - we will not start the show until everyone sits down". It was never going to happen. Anyway I saw a spare seat with a coat on it. About 8 rows from the front dead centre. I pushed my way along and just about to sit this guy said "DONT". He moved the coat to reveal a reel to reel recorder. Ha I wonder if this is the same recording??. Consequently no one would sit down and on they came and the rest as they say is history. Happy days and a great gig. It was Rush's 2nd ever UK show after Sheffield.

I'm glad they finally got in the HOF. I thought it was a travesty they had to wait as long as they did considering how much they've done for popular music and their enduring influence and the allegiance of their fan base.

That being said, I still can't stand them.

I'm glad they finally got in the HOF. I thought it was a travesty they had to wait as long as they did considering how much they've done for popular music and their enduring influence and the allegiance of their fan base.

I wont dislike you or anything for your opinion, but may I ask what it is about them you don't like?

I wont dislike you or anything for your opinion, but may I ask what it is about them you don't like?

I agree. Maybe Rush is not to your personal taste in music, however, have you ever bothered to listen to some "classic" Rush songs? I would gladly name a few that you might want to check out and listen to. I am not referring to you, theLastSpartan, but to zeppy668.

These are some on my favorite Rush songs that you will not hear on the radio: (but can easily find and hear on YouTube):

"Here Again" (Rush)

"In the End" (Fly By Night)

"Lakeside Park" (Caress of Steel)

"Something for Nothing" (2112)

"A Farewell to Kings" (A Farewell to Kings)

"La Villa Strangiato" (Hemispheres)

"Jacob's Ladder" (Permanent Waves)

"Vital Signs" (Moving Pictures)

If you (or anyone) even bothers to seek out and listen to these 8 songs (and I only chose 8 because out of the 100+ songs that I could have listed would have been way to much for a non-Rush fan to acknowledge), by the second Greatest Rock and Roll Band of All-Time, RUSH, would take a long time to post. These are my recommendations and opinions of Rush songs to listen to.

By the way, a lot of early Rush songs are reminiscent of a lot of early Led Zeppelin songs. That is because Alex Lifeson was and still is a fan of the Music of Jimmy Page and Led Zeppelin. That in itself is a strong testament to the Power and Influence of Led Zeppelin on other Great and Powerful Musicians.

Edited by kingzoso

By the way, a lot of early Rush songs are reminiscent of a lot of early Led Zeppelin songs. That is because Alex Lifeson was and still is a fan of the Music of Jimmy Page and Led Zeppelin. That in itself is a strong testament to the Power and Influence of Led Zeppelin on other Great and Powerful Musicians.

Rush are one of those artists that go straight over my head (see also: KISS & Bob Dylan) Everyone rants and raves about how good they are (ok, not so much in the case of KISS) and I'm there thinking :huh: In the case of Rush: I guess some of the music is alright; that is until Geddy Lee comes screaming in with his awful, awful (to my ears) vocal delivery. I wouldn't even bother trying to get past it because that voice is just anathema to these ears.

Case in point would be this song where it's going ok, then suddenly the vocals kick in :blink:

Then there is PEart with his ostentatious 300 piece drum kit. I dunno, over all it all comes across to me as very over earnest and muso. The Led Zeppelin influence - frankly - I don't hear it. Words I would use to describe Rush: tight, worthy, precise, sexless, devoid of groove or raunch, mechanical drumming. In many ways the complete opposite to Zeppelin. That is just my take on Rush, but they may be, as you say "the second Greatest Rock and Roll Band of All-Time" but personally, I will never understand their appeal.

Edited by Pagesbow

Words I would use to describe Rush: tight, worthy, precise, sexless, devoid of groove or raunch, mechanical drumming.

but personally, I will never understand their appeal.

I find them to be musically boring. All three may be very talented musicians but that doesn't guarantee the three will make timeless music. I gave them ample listen time during my high school years and I always found myself bored. On top of that, I laugh every time I find myself trying to take Geddy Lee's singing seriously. I've come to respect Neil Peart over the years for his devotion to swing drumming but I personally find his approach in Rush as hollow and lacking swing. Talented beyond doubt but as stated, mechanical and lacking any groove (which could be a Lee/Peart thing). I couldn't imagine him trying to play James Brown or Parliament, effectively.

I understand their appeal but I just haven't been bitten by the bug and doubt I ever will. To each their own.

Edited by zeppy668

I find them to be musically boring. All three may be very talented musicians but that doesn't guarantee the three will make timeless music. I gave them ample listen time during my high school years and I always found myself bored. On top of that, I laugh every time I find myself trying to take Geddy Lee's singing seriously. I've come to respect Neil Peart over the years for his devotion to swing drumming but I personally find his approach in Rush as hollow and lacking swing. Talented beyond doubt but as stated, mechanical and lacking any groove (which could be a Lee/Peart thing). I couldn't imagine him trying to play James Brown or Parliament, effectively.

I understand their appeal but I just haven't been bitten by the bug and doubt I ever will. To each their own.

They are obviously very talented musicians and they seem like nice guys. As I mentioned my main problem is the vocals, like you, I also can't take them seriously as they don't come across as authentic to me; it feels as if Geddy Lee is trying to sing in a "stereo typical rock vocal style" the high pitched wailing all sounds very forced and put on - I don't believe it. To a lesser extent, I feel the same way about Ian Gillan's vocals in Deep Purple, especially the song Child in Time when he starts his high pitched wailing. I guess I don't really "get" Deep Purple, either.

From 7:46 it's just comical..

I do kinda like this Rush song, the vocals are "normal" and it's worth watching if only for the cringe inducing 80's video which people probably thought was mind blowing back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTFHwTKWawU

Ha Ha! I know what you mean. I hated Rush back in the late 70s coz a kid in my class at school loved them and was always baiting me that they were better than zep and were gonna steal their crown. Over the years they have grown on me a bit and when Geddy Lee stopped screeching like a scalded cat they sounded a lot better. Technically brilliant eg XYZ (no vocals a bonus!) but emotionally soul less you either love them or hate them i guess!

Ha Ha! I know what you mean. I hated Rush back in the late 70s coz a kid in my class at school loved them and was always baiting me that they were better than zep and were gonna steal their crown. Over the years they have grown on me a bit and when Geddy Lee stopped screeching like a scalded cat they sounded a lot better. Technically brilliant eg XYZ (no vocals a bonus!) but emotionally soul less you either love them or hate them i guess!

I will grant Geddy Lee's voice is an acquired taste.

But then, I feel the same way about Steve Perry.

But the screechy quality really drives home a lot of the tunes, particularly The Temples of Syrynx.

It lends a frantic, driving quality to an already epically out-of-control rocket ride.

Signals is a fantastic album with many excellent tunes.

http://youtu.be/8GsuQdXwL8w

http://youtu.be/gakQsXdFeLE

Alex's solo at 3:55 is so hot.

Really cool newer tune from Snakes and Arrows.

Great display of Neil Peart's incredible drumming.

This one has jumped up recently as one of my favorites.

Really sweet acoustic intro on this clip.

http://youtu.be/qYlMdo3zR5Y

• 2 weeks later...

Win front row tickets to Rush UK tour AND a Squier Geddy Lee bass ,, sorry IVE just seen this and it closes today

Rush are heading to Blighty as the European leg of the Clockwork Angels tour touches down in the UK next week, and we're celebrating with the ultimate Rush competition.

We've got an ultra rare Squier Geddy Lee bass AND a pair of front row tickets to a UK show of your choice to be bagged by one extremely lucky winner.

The customised Squier bass comes with a custom engraved Clockwork Angels pickguard and is branded with the iconic Rush logo. It's one of only 60 basses produced by Fender, so there won't be many chances to get your hands on one.

To enter the competition, all you need to do is click the link below to answer the simple question:

What was the name of Rush's 2007 studio album?

A) A Farewell To Kings

B) Snakes & Arrows

C) Hold Your Fire

CLICK HERE TO ENTER!

This competition is open to UK residents only, and closes on Monday 20 May.

Don't forget to send us your questions for Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson!

Rush's UK tour dates are as follows:

Wednesday 22 May Manchester Arena

Friday 24 May London O2 Arena

Sunday 26 May Birmingham LG Arena

Tuesday 28 May Sheffield Motorpoint Arena

Thursday 30 May Glasgow SECC

Clockwork Angels is out now, and tickets Rush's UK tour are on sale throughLive Nation, Ticketmaster and Ticket Line. For more information, visit the official Rush website.

https://www.futurecompetitions.com/rushuktour/Default.asp?

I'm a huge Rush fan and I've seen them live a few times. I have to ask though, what was with Geddy's voice at the HOF show? It seemed like he was intentionally making his voice sound goofy. Was he doing this to mock the HOF? I love his voice live but this was strange. Not sure of what to make of it.

Everyone would gather on the 24th of May sitting in the sand to watch the fireworks display dancing fires on the beach singing songs together though its just a memory some memories last forever