Live Aid July 13, 1985 Philadelphia Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones played with Phil Collins on Drums

Guest CadillacOfRock

Guest CadillacOfRock

Live Aid, July 13, 1985 Philadelphia

Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones with Phil Collins (he played at Wembley Stadium, then flew on the Concord to the USA) on Drums.

They put on a fantastic performance!

I had a back stage pass!

I took some really good on-stage photos of their set!

Yet, I cannot understand why their performance was not featured on the LIVE AID Concert Video, which included four DVD!

CadillacOfRock

Live Aid, July 13, 1985 Philadelphia

Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones and Phil Collins ( who played at Wembley Stadium, then flew out to the USA, on the Concord) on Drums.

They put on a fantastic performance!

Yet, I cannot understand why their performance was not featured on the LIVE AID Concert Video

You CANNOT be SERIOUS! Phil Collins sounded like he was playing different songs to the rest of the band, and the rest of them weren't that hot either. Well, Jonesy was ok, and the other drummer. No, this was a mess, I'm afraid. A wonderful spectacle, but an abysmal performance.

So the performance was better in the stadium, was it?

It was more being caught up in the excitement of the three of them being on stage together. The whole stadium went absolutely nuts and for me, never having seen them, was pretty special. Was it their finest musical hour - no but you didn't even notice it at the time.

Oh no. Not again!! Phil Collins was disgraceful playing, or should I say, butchering those zeppelin classics. Collins was good on his own, but he stunk up the joint on drums for the long awaited and much anticipated Led Zeppelin reunion if you want to call it that. I will never know how he could have played so badly on those songs. He sucked.

Oh no. Not again!! Phil Collins was disgraceful playing, or should I say, butchering those zeppelin classics. Collins was good on his own, but he stunk up the joint on drums for the long awaited and much anticipated Led Zeppelin reunion if you want to call it that. I will never know how he could have played so badly on those songs. He sucked.

The point of this thread isn't another bash Phil Collins - it's about why their performance wasn't on the dvd.

They couldn't capture what is was like "being there".

Cause when you watch it on video/DVD, you can SEE how badly they played. The moment of exhiliration one might get "being there" is lost on video. It shows the REAL thing, not the 'out of body' euphoria that covers up a shoddy show.

Maybe what's needed is a "hologram" of emotion that can convey that exciting moment. Sorta like a 'scratch and sniff' but for the aural senses.

The point of this thread isn't another bash Phil Collins - it's about why their performance wasn't on the dvd.

I had it on tape for years, on VHS and somehow it disappeared, probably my vindictive ex girlfriend. But Even though Jimmy was trashed, he was ok. Led Zeppelin's members were good. It was /Colliins that stunk. The drumming was so off, especially on Rock n Roll. Everyone knows the classic opening drum roll of that song. He did not even attempt it. Telliing me he is a singer and that is it. Don Henley of the Eagles would have played it better. For sure.

cadillac of rock

there's a very simple answer to your question; their performance wasnt included on the dvd release because they themselves thought their own performance wasnt good enough for inclusion.

who's fault it was - various posters will argue whether it was collins or not - is immaterial, as is whether we folk here on the forum think it was good enough or not, the fact is page plant & jones thought it wasnt.

Was not as bad as Atlantic's 40th, but still pretty bad. I thought Jimmy actually played pretty well at Live Aid. They obviously had issues. Phil did not help in the least. Saying it was good because you were there and got caught up in the moment is really not an objective review is it? Anywho, it's a fact the band themselves did not care for the performance, and that is the reason it's not on the official release. They did make a nice donation though.

Was not as bad as Atlantic's 40th, but still pretty bad. I thought Jimmy actually played pretty well at Live Aid. They obviously had issues. Phil did not help in the least. Saying it was good because you were there and got caught up in the moment is really not an objective review is it? Anywho, it's a fact the band themselves did not care for the performance, and that is the reason it's not on the official release. They did make a nice donation though.

Really? I was at both and I thought Live Aid was the lesser performance. Jimmy's guitar hadn't been tuned, Robert's voice was rough from having played several shows (he was on tour), they barely rehearsed. It was a combination of a lot of factors, not just Phil. Anyways, the spirit of the event and for them to come together was what I take from it, same with Atlantic's 40th anniversary show.

Really? I was at both and I thought Live Aid was the lesser performance. Jimmy's guitar hadn't been tuned, Robert's voice was rough from having played several shows (he was on tour), they barely rehearsed. It was a combination of a lot of factors, not just Phil. Anyways, the spirit of the event and for them to come together was what I take from it, same with Atlantic's 40th anniversary show.

I did not say it was just Phil. I said he didn't help. We have actually talked about this before, and yes I am aware you were at both events.

As for Atlantic's 40th...Yeah, for me it was much worse. Jimmy was (and looked) awful and it showed. The complete meltdown on Heartbreaker was enough for me.

For me as I only saw both reunions on TV, I thought the Atlantic show was a better performance. Although, neither were stellar. I just thought the mix for the Atlantic show was quite poor and not really the bands fault. It just sounded quite muddy.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for posting this Conneyfogle, it was nice to see Robert on form again, they way he dodges questions is legendary don't you think? :o;):lol:

Regards, Danny

Great interview. They must have known Jimmy was tanked as they kept the mic from him. Robert was very upbeat. Did you hear the yes when asked if he would play again with these guys? As for Collins's statement about the rough edges. Please. Dont get me started Phil.

I can't understand why they didn't allow it to go on the DVD.

I just watched it again yesterday for the first time in about 20 years, and it really isn't as bad as has been claimed, here and elsewhere. No worse than many of the 77-80 shows, and certainly not of sufficently bad quality for a casual purchaser to think 'Wow, those Led Zeppelin guys were totally shit, how on earth did they get such an awesome reputation?'.

What everyone needs to remember is that RP, JPJ & JP hadn't played together for 5 years, unlike 90% of the other artists on the bill. Plus they had an extra drummer foisted on them, which certainly didn't help matters but wasn't totally disastrous either. And despite all this, they totally stole the show, in Philly at least. At Wembley, only U2 and Queen arguably surpassed LZ's performance, and those two bands were both completely on top of their game in the mid 80s.

Also, I can't see any evidence of JP's alleged 'dribbling', although to be fair I was watching a fairly low-res boot.

I'd say it's the same old reasons that prevented its inclusion, which are also delaying the release of the O2 show: (1) JP's perfectionism, and (2) the 'Golden Veto'. And that's all perfectly understandable in the case of the O2 gig, as that was their own show. But to deny its inclusion on a compilation for charitable purposes smacks of churlishness, elitism and hubris. In the nicest possible way, who the hell do they think they are?

But then, as we all know, certain members of LZ are totally unable to laugh at themselves.

I can't understand why they didn't allow it to go on the DVD.

I just watched it again yesterday for the first time in about 20 years, and it really isn't as bad as has been claimed, here and elsewhere. No worse than many of the 77-80 shows, and certainly not of sufficently bad quality for a casual purchaser to think 'Wow, those Led Zeppelin guys were totally shit, how on earth did they get such an awesome reputation?'.

What everyone needs to remember is that RP, JPJ & JP hadn't played together for 5 years, unlike 90% of the other artists on the bill. Plus they had an extra drummer foisted on them, which certainly didn't help matters but wasn't totally disastrous either. And despite all this, they totally stole the show, in Philly at least. At Wembley, only U2 and Queen arguably surpassed LZ's performance, and those two bands were both completely on top of their game in the mid 80s.

Also, I can't see any evidence of JP's alleged 'dribbling', although to be fair I was watching a fairly low-res boot.

I'd say it's the same old reasons that prevented its inclusion, which are also delaying the release of the O2 show: (1) JP's perfectionism, and (2) the 'Golden Veto'. And that's all perfectly understandable in the case of the O2 gig, as that was their own show. But to deny its inclusion on a compilation for charitable purposes smacks of churlishness, elitism and hubris. In the nicest possible way, who the hell do they think they are?

But then, as we all know, certain members of LZ are totally unable to laugh at themselves.

They donated proceeds from the Unledded DVD to charity in lieu of including their own performance on the Live Aid DVD.

• 3 months later...

C'mon but a bit of Collins bashing is always a winner :rolleyes: r <_< , the guy is responsible of creating some of the most banal music of the 80's, He should of got a job as a butcher afterwards, but I bet it was very special being there, thats great, and even though its not the best performace I wish the had a tleast allowed one of the numbers on the DVD, but please let us bash Buster just alittle bit :)

C'mon but a bit of Collins bashing is always a winner :rolleyes: r <_< , the guy is responsible of creating some of the most banal music of the 80's, He should of got a job as a butcher afterwards, but I bet it was very special being there, thats great, and even though its not the best performace I wish the had a tleast allowed one of the numbers on the DVD, but please let us bash Buster just alittle bit :)

Saw him at a local caravan cafe on Blackheath, cooking burgers and sausages, thought he took the job as a "Griller" I know there was someink in the air that night, thought it was burning fat but that might have been the Meatloaf. :whistling:

Kind Regards, Danny

I admit to not being a Collins fan but that has just as much to do with his music being inescapable back in the 80s than anything else but that's no fault of his own. Looks like the criticism, a life in the public eye and declining health have had a very negative effect on him. I'm sure the Rolling Stone interview will only give those people that already hate Collins even more cause to bash him but I'd say those folks also lack compassion.

Exclusive: Phil Collins Admits Suicidal ThoughtsCollins also tells Rolling Stone that he has no desire to return to pop music

By Andy Greene

NOVEMBER 9, 2010

In the new issue of Rolling Stone, on stands in the digital archives this Friday, Phil Collins says he believes that he may have lived past lives — and that he's contemplated suicide. The reclusive singer — who hasn't released an album of new material in nearly ten years — took writer Erik Hedegaard into his surprisingly modest home in Switzerland and explained that most of his time is now spent working on his gigantic collection of artifacts from the Alamo and raising his two young sons from his last marriage. Decades of criticism have taken their toll, and Collins says he has little desire to create more music beyond his new disc of Motown covers, Going Back. "I sometimes think I'm going to write this Phil Collins character out of the story," the singer says. "Phil Collins will just disappear or be murdered in some hotel bedroom, and people will say, 'What happened to Phil?' And the answer will be, 'He got murdered, but, yeah, anyway, let's carry on.' That kind of thing."

Other highlights from the article:

• Collins has noticed glowing, semitransparent light orbs in a series of photos he took at the Alamo. "It's paranormal energy," he explains, nothing that a psychic recently told him he fought at the fort in a previous lifetime. "I don't want to sound like a weirdo. I'm not Shirley MacLaine, but I'm prepared to believe. You've seen the pictures. You can't deny them, so therefore it's possible that I was there in another life."

• A neck injury has left him unable to hold drum sticks, sign his signature or even (at times) wipe himself in the bathroom. "I was going to stop drumming anyway," he says. "I had stopped. I don't miss it."

• Collins admits that he's had suicidal thoughts in recent years. "I wouldn't blow my head off," he says. "I'd overdose or do something that didn't hurt. But I wouldn't do that to the children. A comedian who committed suicide in the Sixties left a note saying, 'Too many things went wrong too often.' I often think about that."

Archived