Nine Years Ago Today

ledzepfvr

Thank you so much Atlas for killing the spirit of this thread. Haven't you noticed you are the only one posting your conspiracy agenda on here? You have driven most everyone else away. I asked you nicely to take your posts to your own thread where they belong and leave this thread to pay respect to the heros and fallen of that tragic day. This was not intended to place blame on who you beleive are the responsible perpetrators.

You have acted as a class A number 1 JERK!!!

Thank you so much Atlas for killing the spirit of this thread. Haven't you noticed you are the only one posting your conspiracy agenda on here? You have driven most everyone else away. I asked you nicely to take your posts to your own thread where they belong and leave this thread to pay respect to the heros and fallen of that tragic day. This was not intended to place blame on who you beleive are the responsible perpetrators.

Oh. I'm sorry. Talking about what people really experienced, and what really happened is irrelevant to your do-gooder self-indulgence. Perhaps you missed the point in what I posted. Now run along and kill some swarthy-skinned toddlers by remote control in the Hindu Kush before they grow up to be terrorists in your neighborhood.

Nine years ago, eh? Now why are these people killing and dying on the other side of the globe? People want to criticize me for not paying "proper" respect for the people who were killed on 9/11/01. Big hint: people are still killing and dying in activities related to that event. IT'S NOT OVER! Criticize me all you want. I ask WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO CHANGE THINGS?

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/terrorism-security/2010/0921/Afghanistan-helicopter-crash-makes-2010-deadliest-year-in-Afghanistan-war

Afghanistan helicopter crash makes 2010 deadliest year in Afghanistan war

Nine NATO soldiers were killed in a helicopter crash Tuesday in Afghanistan. Nearly 2,100 NATO troops have died in the nine-year Afghanistan war, with 529 alone this year.

Nine NATO soldiers died in a helicopter crash Tuesday in Afghanistan, making 2010 officially the deadliest year of the nine-year Afghanistan war.

That somber milestone comes as United States troops take over for British troops in Helmand – one of Afghanistan's most troubled southern provinces –amid an ongoing "surge" designed to bring anti-government Taliban militants to heel and shore up a fragile central government in Kabul.

The Taliban took immediate responsibility for the deaths, but NATO said the cause of the crash was still under investigation, according to Agence France-Presse.

AFP quoted a provincial spokesman saying that the helicopter went down in Zabul province in southern Afghanistan, where Taliban still hold sway in many areas. Two other American soldiers, an Afghan soldier and American civilian were wounded in the crash, The Washington Post reported.

The crash brings total NATO-led coalition deaths to 529 for this year, surpassing last year's 521 deaths, according to a tally from icasualties.org. The US-based monitor, which aggregates information from news reports and military press releases, says total coalition deaths since the CIA and US special forces entered Afghanistan in 2001 have now hit 2,097.

June 2010 remains the most deadly month of the nine-year Afghanistan war, with 103 NATO troops killed, The Christian Science Monitor reported.

Nearly 150,000 coalition troops, about 100,000 of them American, are now battling insurgents in Afghanistan, with a concentration on the southern provinces of Helmand, Kandahar (the Taliban's home), and Zabul provinces (see map of Afghanistan here).

The Los Angeles Times noted that NATO troops rely heavily on helicopters in Afghanistan because there are few passable roads in more remote areas.

Taliban fighters have been unable to shoot down Western helicopters in large numbers, but insurgent fire brought down a Canadian chopper last month in Kandahar province, injuring eight troops. Another helicopter was shot down in June in Helmand province, killing four Western troops.

The summer saw a rash of helicopter crashes, mainly in the south. Another crash in Kandahar province in June killed three Australian servicemen and the US pilot.

President Obama decided in December 2009 to send an additional 30,000 US troops to Afghanistan as part of a counterinsurgency campaign designed to swing popular support from Taliban militants to the central government through a combination of military power and hearts-and-minds public works and outreach. He pledged to begin withdrawing some of those troops in July 2011.

Critics of the current US strategy – including Afghan President Hamid Karzai – have long argued that the Taliban's safe havens and allies across the border in Pakistan will make it difficult, if not impossible, to defeat them. In one such commentary from 2008, the RAND Corporation's Seth Jones said:

“Every successful insurgency in Afghanistan since 1979 enjoyed safe haven in neighboring countries, and the current insurgency is no different. Right now, the Taliban and other groups are getting help from individuals within Pakistan's government, and until that ends, the region's long-term security is in jeopardy.”

“Solving this problem will require a difficult diplomatic feat: convincing Pakistan's government to undermine the sanctuary on its soil."

But in a recently published interview with Foreign Policy, US Defense Secretary Robert Gates remained optimistic:

"I see the process of transition in Afghanistan being similar to Iraq," Gates said in our interview, "in which we're in the lead, then we're partners [with Afghan security forces], then they're in the lead, then we're in tactical overwatch, and then strategic overwatch. And that will take some time."

Two elements are key here. First, Gates's idea of an endgame is not the Bushian notion that Afghanistan becomes a democracy or even necessarily a stable country, but rather that its security forces can fight the war for the most part by themselves. Second, some US armed forces will end up staying in Afghanistan – just as some (between 30,000 and 50,000) are due to stay in Iraq – for a long while.

"But by the same token," Gates added, "the one thing that I've made clear to everybody is that I'm not going to support a strategy that leads to a stalemate."

Gates says in the interview that the main US goal is realistic: to create an Afghan security force that can fight insurgents on its own, backed by a smaller US military presence that will stay indefinitely. He also says the US will change course if the current strategy proves ineffective.

"If we're not making any headway," Gates said, "then I think we have to look at making adjustments." What kinds of adjustments, he doesn't know. "But we're not just going to plunge ahead with exactly the same strategy if it's clear it's not working."

Hi 'ledzepfvr'

What a Just and timely post, where i totally agree with you about all you say, and you didn't go over the top in your insults to Atlas, mores the pity, i would like to know just what rule you have to break on this forum to piss the Mods off enough to do something about this. I for one got two temporary bans about a month ago and i was never told by Admin or Sam what they were for, whereas Atlas can cripple this thread as well as many others without a "by your leave" or a "sorry" and he continually gets away with it, even now he carries on as if both YOU 'ledzepfvr' and the rest of US who have asked him to take it else where are totally ignored.

Where is the Justice?

Where is the Respect?

Where is the Humanity?

Where is the FBI?

Regards, Danny

Hi 'ledzepfvr'

What a Just and timely post, where i totally agree with you about all you say, and you didn't go over the top in your insults to Atlas, mores the pity, i would like to know just what rule you have to break on this forum to piss the Mods off enough to do something about this. I for one got two temporary bans about a month ago and i was never told by Admin or Sam what they were for, whereas Atlas can cripple this thread as well as many others without a "by your leave" or a "sorry" and he continually gets away with it, even now he carries on as if both YOU 'ledzepfvr' and the rest of US who have asked him to take it else where are totally ignored.

Where is the Justice?

Where is the Respect?

Where is the Humanity?

Where is the FBI?

Regards, Danny

It's kind of strange to read this thread on my cell phone standing in line with fellow veterans at the DCVAMC. I guess some people don't see the connection between the 9 years of war rationalized by the events of 9/11 and those events.

I am not the one who has been posting irrelevant content to this thread. In the past few days, I've pretty much been restricting myself to posting witness accounts and testimonies of survivors or family members of victims. If what they say bothers people who pretend to be so concerned about the victims, I have to wonder why.

Isn't that the ACLU?

Perhaps you were thinking of the PNAC?

This is the man directly in charge of the project I started working on the week he was assassinated. The people killed at the Pentagon were specifically targeted.

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/tjmaude.htm

tjmaude-01.jpg

September 22, 2001

Lieutenant General Timothy L. Maude, 53, an Army Deputy Chief of Staff

Lieutenant General Timothy L. Maude, the Army's deputy chief of staff for personnel, died on September 11 in the attack on the Pentagon, the Department of Defense confirmed yesterday. He was 53 and lived in Fort Myer, Virginia.

General Maude was appointed to the position and promoted to his current rank in May 2000. His chief focus recently was improving recruitment, which began to lag in the 1990's.

Early this month, he reported that the new "Army of One" recruiting campaign, which began in January with major advertising on television and on the Internet, was succeeding in drawing young people to military service.

On September 4 the Army announced that it had attained its recruiting goals for

active-duty Army personnel ahead of schedule and that the Army Reserve and the Army National Guard would fulfill their recruiting targets by the end of the month.

General Maude was born in Indianapolis, attended the Latin School, a seminary high school there, and was a graduate of Ball State University in Muncie, Ind. He went through officer candidate school in the Army, was commissioned a second lieutenant in 1967 and started out as a postal officer.

He served a year in Vietnam and won the Bronze Star. His later duties involved personnel matters in Germany, South Korea and the United States.

He is survived by his wife and two daughters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4z7UcuHWwU

Network News (1993)

Guns, death and noise

Sand, oil and blood

Frontiers drawn on paper

No consideration made for

The poor creature who is living

By the grace of God just giving

He's live on network news

Live on network news

Flags, princes, kings

Patriotic tools

As freedom lies in twisted heaps

Whose final breath his soul to keep

Whose greatest fall - the endless sleep

Whose dying wish to reach next week

A bloody star on network news

A bloody star on network news

Tanks, boats and planes

Fire, pain and lies

Environmental terrorists

Tease propaganda's paper fist

Whose trade is all the truth that fits

Who often lies but never sits

But on the fence it's network news

Yes, on the fence it's network news

The lion and the serpent parade out in the sun

All order, flex and gesture

All hail - the techno infidel has come

With satellite bravado and infra-red texture

Beyond these days in time to come

Whose fate is it to measure?

Upon these sands such damage done

To spoil God's finest treasure

Beyond these days [etc repeated]

Guns, death and noise

Sand, oil and blood

Guns, death and noise

Sand, oil and blood

We all know the FBI and CIA is at fault for the 9/11 attacks, due to their failure to enact on the threat which they thought was not serious. The two agencies failed to share information with each other as well which was the protocol back in the Clinton era initiated by Janet Reno. I know this is true.

Archived