What show or live song are you listening to now?

Misfit

11 hours ago, Boogie Chillen 82 said:

It sounds like the grand doesn't it? I'm wondering because usually (in later shows) there is a quick pause both before and after the grand, and Jimmy plays theremin as JPJ switches to the grand. Here, he hits the last "piano" note and immediately plays the opening notes of the NQ main theme...

Yeah, it's weird.  Maybe it's a really small cut in the tape?

37 minutes ago, paul carruthers said:

Not that I'm an expert or anything, but wasn't Baton Rogue the first show with the grand piano in the jam? I always thought, that...

Well, presumably it was debuted at the Houston show the night before, for which we don't have a recording yet.

Taking a break from '75 tour with Offenburg '73. As far as audience tapes go, this is up there with Millard I think. Could well be my favorite Zep show, period. Certainly so far my favorite SIBLY: Jimmy smokes, Bonzo throws in fills galore, JPJ is prominent in the mix, and Robert's vocals have recovered nicely by now -

Edited by Boogie Chillen 82

March 5, 1975 - Dallas -- After listening to this one today, I think I'd rank the Southern '75 shows as follows:

1.     March 3 - Ft. Worth: Energy to rival the early days (especially Bonham), and pretty tight, too.  There aren't any songs that are bad/a disaster, and there are some that are candidates for all-time great versions, such as TSRTS.

2.     March 5 - Dallas: This one gets the slight edge over Baton Rouge for, oddly enough, "Moby Dick".  This show has one of the true epic versions, clocking in at about 27:30, with not a moment wasted.  This show also does a bit better of a job than Baton Rouge of not loosing steam towards the end (i.e. Baton Rouge's "Black Dog").

3.     February 28 - Baton Rouge: A very tight (and compact) performance, at least until the very end.  A thoroughly enjoyable listen, and a good "lunch menu" version of the second leg.

4.     March 4 - Dallas: One of the all-time best OTHAFA, but the rest of the show is rather sloppy, despite Bonham continuing the roll he was on at this point in the tour.  

My guess is that when 2/27 Houston finally turns up, it will land somewhere in the middle--probably between Baton Rouge & Dallas #1.

Been taking a break from '75, because there's the entire West Coast run coming up! (hey BonzoFan :peace:)

I am planning on playing the two '75 Dallas shows during a road trip this weekend though.

Meanwhile, I've been working on my '71 comp (minus Orlando and Osaka which I always want in their entirety). Played quite a bit of both Forum shows, along with the Budokan shows and Ipswich.

I think Ipswich is a great sounding show, by the early period standards anyway. Is there a better one (for sound quality) from the Nov-Dec '71 UK tour? In any case, it is a must for Gallows Pole alone, and WLL smokes - much better than either Forum version from earlier that year. Speaking of the Forum, I think that 8-21-75 is a fairly pedestrian performance overall - inferior to both the following night, 9-4-70 the year before, and 6-25-72.

Between the two '71 Forum nights, 8-22-75 has a better Heartbreaker, and vastly superior WLL and Thank You (JPJ's organ solo SMOKES). It also sounds better that 8-21 for some reason (though the quality still isn't great).

What do you guys think?

Edited by Boogie Chillen 82

5 hours ago, Boogie Chillen 82 said:

Speaking of the Forum, I think that 8-21-75 is a fairly pedestrian performance overall - inferior to both the following night, 9-4-70 the year before, and 6-25-72.

Between the two '71 Forum nights, 8-22-75 has a better Heartbreaker, and vastly superior WLL and Thank You (JPJ's organ solo SMOKES). It also sounds better that 8-21 for some reason (though the quality still isn't great).

What do you guys think?

Oof, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you there. I listened to the 8/21 LA show a couple weeks back, and I think that show is incredible from beginning to end. You have Plant pushing his voice to its limit, Bonzo's drums sounding absolutely MASSIVE on the recording, an amazing SIBLY, Black Dog, Celebration Day, WLL, Weekend, Rock and Roll (my personal favorite version), Communication Breakdown, and Thank You. I honestly think the last hour of that show isn't that far behind the last hour of the 9/19/70 evening show. Just an insane amount of energy and aggression and it sounds like the crowd is having the time of their life. While the recording is far from perfect, I don't think I've heard Bonham's drums ever sound more powerful than they do here. Every hit of the kick drum sounds like an explosion. I absolutely love the sound of that tape. It's one of my personal favorites.

I'll confess I haven't heard the 8/22 show in its entirety, but based on what I've heard, Plant is starting to struggle in the upper register, especially on Black Dog. He clearly is still hurting from the night before. I think if 8/21 had a better recording, it would be getting more praise than even Orlando or Berkeley. That's just my two cents, anyway.

8 hours ago, Boogie Chillen 82 said:

Been taking a break from '75, because there's the entire West Coast run coming up! (hey BonzoFan :peace:)

I am planning on playing the two '75 Dallas shows during a road trip this weekend though.

Meanwhile, I've been working on my '71 comp (minus Orlando and Osaka which I always want in their entirety). Played quite a bit of both Forum shows, along with the Budokan shows and Ipswich.

I think Ipswich is a great sounding show, by the early period standards anyway. Is there a better one (for sound quality) from the Nov-Dec '71 UK tour? In any case, it is a must for Gallows Pole alone, and WLL smokes - much better than either Forum version from earlier that year. Speaking of the Forum, I think that 8-21-75 is a fairly pedestrian performance overall - inferior to both the following night, 9-4-70 the year before, and 6-25-72.

What do you guys think?

Fair enough :lol:  I started getting my annual '75 fatigue getting through parts of the Dallas shows the past two days.  I've added several shows to my '75 rotation this year, so that could be why.  Currently spinning Vienna '73 ten days early as I will be on vacation on the actual day and don't want to pull myself away from the beach to listen through earbuds.  3/7/70 Montreux is tomorrow...woohoo!

When you listen to '68-'73, you're surprised when they screw up; when you listen to '75-'80, you're (somewhat) surprised when they really knock it out of the park.  That's the main difference to me.

I have never heard 8/22/71 LA, but I am a huge fan of 8/21/71...

2 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

Oof, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you there. I listened to the 8/21 LA show a couple weeks back, and I think that show is incredible from beginning to end. You have Plant pushing his voice to its limit, Bonzo's drums sounding absolutely MASSIVE on the recording, an amazing SIBLY, Black Dog, Celebration Day, WLL, Weekend, Rock and Roll (my personal favorite version), Communication Breakdown, and Thank You. I honestly think the last hour of that show isn't that far behind the last hour of the 9/19/70 evening show. Just an insane amount of energy and aggression and it sounds like the crowd is having the time of their life. While the recording is far from perfect, I don't think I've heard Bonham's drums ever sound more powerful than they do here. Every hit of the kick drum sounds like an explosion. I absolutely love the sound of that tape. It's one of my personal favorites.

I'll confess I haven't heard the 8/22 show in its entirety, but based on what I've heard, Plant is starting to struggle in the upper register, especially on Black Dog. He clearly is still hurting from the night before. I think if 8/21 had a better recording, it would be getting more praise than even Orlando or Berkeley. That's just my two cents, anyway.

Yeah, I'm with you on 8/21/71 LA.  Probably the last show where Plant truly hits all of the high notes with reckless abandon/without hesitation.  Easily my all-time favourite "Black Dog," and that's not a song where it's particularly easy for one version to distinguish itself from the others.  Also love the cover of "Weekend," one of my favourite "Thank You"'s--especially the outro, and yes, probably the best recording I've ever heard for Bonham, sonically-speaking.

Another show from my recently unearthed box...October 5, 1972 Nagoya Japan. A very pleasing show to listen to with no drum solo to slow the momentum. For Led Zeppelin neophytes who maybe aren't ready to dive into the three-hour-plus marathons right away, the 1972 Japanese tour, with its easily digestible two-hour length and no "Moby Dick", is a perfect entry to the world of bootlegs for them. This "Dazed and Confused" from Nagoya is really something...a great bow segment and "Crunge"-funky jam during the guitar solo.